boneboys

Exp Update: 0.59 (+hotfix).

The lag is horrible, the zombies are nowhere to be found, i cant even hit another player with an axe unless he stands still for 5 seconds, items ive had for 10 minutes vanish when i go to another server, the animations for weapons and holding the water canteen are all screwed up and dead bodies stand up butt naked staring at you which is creepy. Sigh.... experimental woes. I did throw a flashbang tho and blinded myself!

The lag is horrible, the zombies are nowhere to be found, i cant even hit another player with an axe unless he stands still for 5 seconds, items ive had for 10 minutes vanish when i go to another server, the animations for weapons and holding the water canteen are all screwed up and dead bodies stand up butt naked staring at you which is creepy. Sigh.... experimental woes. I did throw a flashbang tho and blinded myself!

I also had some issues last night, but they seemed to be server specific. The biggest issue was the inability to pick up loot. I also had to hit "V" a half dozen times, before the server responded, allowing me to hop over an obstacle. Vaulting also (eventually) solved the first problem, but it's frustrating having to spam "V" 6-8 times for every fourth house that I entered.

I switched servers and I didn't have any further issues.

I don't think I saw more than 25 people on either of the servers last night, so I'm not sure why the problem server should be preoccupied with other things, unless it was just bored and periodically napping.

Has anyone else played long enough on the same server to see if this is an issue with server performance deteriorating over time, or are there just "good" and "bad" servers?

• Like 1

Fun with grenades...  note the status message for my ankle. Is this new or did I just not see this before?  Flash bang, in damaged condition btw, detonated at my feet.

http://imgur.com/a/hrHEW

If I didn't directly hit junior with the one I threw I'd be surprised and he was un-injured but it was a worn one. he always stops turns around and shuts the front door on police stations and barracks when he enters so it was pretty predictable and easy to just aim for where he'd be standing. I had a bad rubberband though at one point, like 10 minutes set back and was back on a rocky mountain top, got the white flash like I was injured and definitely had a "sprained ankle" not the usual chipped leg or whatever.

I'm 99% sure the wardrobes are not persistent yet, been doing my usual make my self at home in Tulga and putting any thing I can't use or shred into rags in them and they're empty every reset. I highly doubt someone came through and cleaned out one with say damaged tomato seeds and trackpants. Also noted staying in the same area untouched ground loot seems to get cleared and a new batch of basic crap spawns on reset but I'm not %100 sure if that was the case just really seemed like it.

Not sure if it's a bug or feature but I've found a few of the waterproof bags so far and you can carry them full in you hands freeing six bag slots if you don't mind running unarmed. Does anyone know if these are using the backpack or container persistence model though, the green ones would stash well under trees.

• Like 2

Guns with scopes (Winchester and Longhorn) did go invisible in my barrel. Cannot use the empty space they occupied and cannot empty and pickup the barrel. - Desync is REAL!

I just caught the fact that I called the apartments at Severograd a "hospital" and the internet police (you) didn't catch it.... wow.

It reminded that we had a tent pitched up there and one then spawned in next to us during the target practice.

We've also seen multiple instances of deerstands and feeding stations spawning loot at our feet after picking up an item.

I've personally seen this 2 times, once in each type of structure and both times with pants.

The type of pant I picked up repopulated a nearby spawn location almost as soon as it was picked up.

• Like 1

-snip- back on a rocky mountain top, got the white flash like I was injured and definitely had a "sprained ankle" not the usual chipped leg or whatever.

I saw chipped leg status in .59 after desynch through hill/map.

I guess it's, sprained, chipped, then broken....

• Like 2

Oh , and I can't seem to drop this cooking pot now that i drank from it .... so watch out for that 

yeah I just had that.  had to relog to get the damn pot out of my hand.

*snip*

We've also seen multiple instances of deerstands and feeding stations spawning loot at our feet after picking up an item.

I've personally seen this 2 times, once in each type of structure and both times with pants.

The type of pant I picked up repopulated a nearby spawn location almost as soon as it was picked up.

Me too, pick up pants turn around "wow, more pants".

in my squirrel like hoarding of Tulga stuff I noticed If I run a lap of the town back to my barrel and repeat the same lap I can get the town to indefinitely produce a sustainable amount of food and drink and enough crafted rope that a craftable hammock should be a thing. 

• Like 5

Finally got to play. I must say I am pleased. Its a little laggy, I expected that. I spawned in Elektro, getting about 20-30 fps. Found decent amount of loot, nothing spectacular but enough to not die. There definitely are alot more guns, not much ammo. Played about an hour, didn't see any zombies. Met 2 players, neither tried to kill me which is refreshing, only got the no message received thing once,did find 2 flashbangs. This is my first exp play, all in all I'm liking it. Had the delay with some doors, some movements, upright dead bodies etc. Will make my way to Cherno next, want to hug a zombie for my mombie. :) Thanks to s3v3n for helping me out with exp server problem.

Edited by jtberry2000
  • Like 2

had a new thing today.  drank from a cooking pot, then couldn't remove it from my hand.  hotkey, dragging in inventory, and throwing all didn't do anything.  had to relog.  I'll fill out a bug report thing.

where's a good place to look for boar in .59?  got myself kitted as a proper hunter hermit now.

• Like 1

I also had some issues last night, but they seemed to be server specific. The biggest issue was the inability to pick up loot. I also had to hit "V" a half dozen times, before the server responded, allowing me to hop over an obstacle. Vaulting also (eventually) solved the first problem, but it's frustrating having to spam "V" 6-8 times for every fourth house that I entered.

I don't think I saw more than 25 people on either of the servers last night, so I'm not sure why the problem server should be preoccupied with other things, unless it was just bored and periodically napping.

Has anyone else played long enough on the same server to see if this is an issue with server performance deteriorating over time, or are there just "good" and "bad" servers?

I've had that issue on a couple of the southeast servers. It seems to only happen when there's a bunch of people on them otherwise I have no problems being able to vault the first time I press the V key.

Wow, long reading and long post. Time to play some DayZ. :P

Yeah, heavy work in this regard is most likely not going to happen until we're at feature complete at Beta.

Dang it, thanks for taking the time to respond though. Guess it's a game of waiting then. :)

Well, I just gave it a try and it doesn't seem to accept a cookpot yet, but you can still "pose stick towards fire" so there doesn't seem to be a disadvantage to the fire barrel.

I took a few screenies

I found some game to hunt near Polesovo.

5ojSSaP.jpg

I found a barrel in Kamensk town and scurried into the nearby woods.

The cookpot wouldn't attach to the barrel, it kept ending up in it's inventory.

I left it there just to test, but it ruined the pot.

dOyZLJ0.jpg

Steak on a stick!

Fortunately I saved one steak just in case.

The "pose stick towards fire" was still an option, so I still got to eat some fresh venison!

BeWAv1D.jpg

Also, the fire seems to stay lit even with the lid closed.

Unfortunately this was in the daytime so I couldn't tell whether it made the fire/smoke any less visible from a distance.

Unfortunately I haven't had the time yesterday to test around with the barrel and cooking in general.

But I will cook some lovely dinner tonight. :lol:

Plant material and small guts from fish in a barrel gave you a drop down to make fertilizer las time I tried in .58 exp. I don't remember who but someone figured out how to make a whole bag but the best I got was 70-80% of a bag using various amounts of full stacks of plant materials and multiple part stacks of guts defendant on the knife I used's condition.

I'm 50-50 for interaction, helped a nice Aussie freshspawn get off Skalitsy and meet his buddy in Kami and was told I was the nicest guy he'd met in a thousand hours playing on the AUS 3pp server. Got the no words just fists from a dude in Svetlo before I even had a backpack on the SNG 1pp yesterday so go figure.

Gonna backup and delete my config before I pop on in a bit and see if that helps.

I think I posted about a full bag of fertilizer. It should be somewhere in the previous experimental thread.

Did they have a dying animation, or did they also just kinda stand there after you shot them? I shot chicken, foxes and a boar today and they all just stopped moving and I had to go near to see that I could actually skin and quarter them. Also, I haven't tried with the boar pelt yet, but I could not turn the fox pelt into leather. I used a bag of "damaged" fertilizer, but I don't think that's the issue. I got the "tan leather" prompt after closing the lid, but it kept insisting that I had to add pelts to tan...

I yet have to see some deer, nice find there. Even though it's probably random, I'm gonna check out the area. Gives me something else to do than collecting gear and weapons. Somehow, I'm not much interested in shooting anyone on experimental servers. It's weird, but I just assume most of us are checking new stuff out and since it's all gonna change with updates/wipes, playing tight-arsed on experimental seems over the top. It's fun so far, but I'm missing some sort of transport. Cars will make the game a lot more complete for me. Also: any rain on your server, or is that simply not in again? I wonder, why not. The only odd thing is that everything I put into barrels gets damp and wet, including jackets that say they are water-resistant in the description. Must be raining in the barrels ;)

Also, in case you haven't heard/read: the firebarrels only last 30 minutes until they despawn, at the moment. So chose wisely what you wanna use a barrel for. Can we poke holes in a barrel and still use it as container? I get the option with full barrels. I don't wanna chose it, but I'm sure as hell gonna misclick on that drop-drown menu, sooner or later; while carrying an axe or knife.

Maybe you need some more pelts? Haven't tried these things myself yet.

And the damp gear inside of barrels are obivous, they are filled with liquid (I think it's water).

My guess on the barrel with holes persistence is that they forgot to make them persistence longer.

exactly. having to condense my usual order into 4 or 5 spots means fumbling around when you need things, which defeats the purpose of the hotbar. might as well not use it at all.

if 'realism' is supposed to be represented by this change, shouldn't you be able to locate MORE things quicker, the less things you have?

PLEASE stop making the interface awkward, or changing things 'because potato'. you're pissing off people who are used to things making sense.

And you agreed everytime you start the game that you understand it's an alpha and what comes with the alpha.

PLEASE stop being pissed off.

I'm sure they will change it anytime soon.

Thanks guys. I'll note it for the changelog (and my own future sessions) :)

I think we can attribute the overall situation to the fact that the dev team is using a unique, in-house game engine to begin with and then making MASSIVE changes to it as development progresses. Most other Early Access games are using well-sorted existing game engines that are already being used in other projects (and therefore have something to reference as well).

I guess people are forgetting that they mainly use the Arma 2 engine. As we all know Arma 2 is a military simulator and not survival. There are a lot of things in now which aren't in Arma 2 itself like all these buildings which are open, loot, etc. This probably causes the bad framerate and will be solved in the future.

I know, but I'm referring to client performance and the need for it to be addressed not based on stage of development, alpha or beta, but as soon as possible. I'm also asking if that's possible.

Why would they? Optimization comes naturally in the beta phase.

I had similar trouble the first time trying to light a fire in the barrel too.

For those that haven't tried it yet here's what you do

(spoilered for you guys who like to figure stuff out on your own)

You don't create a fireplace kit and then put it into the barrel.

Once you poke holes in the barrel it sort of becomes an empty fireplace kit, for lack of a better term..

And it has a ui/inventory mechanic similar to the v3s.

So, place the rags and sticks on the barrel just like you would place the glow plug and battery on the v3s, on the icon instead of in the inventory.

Light and enjoy your hobo can :P

I do like the idea of having multiple sections of slots, at least for stuff with the more sophisticated mechanics.

I think the labels might be too much, you've got to leave some of the mystery :)

Who knows, maybe when devs release a more polished new ui we'll see some of that.

edit: wow. bright lights. i shouldnt drag and drop before coffee

I perhaps might make a video of making the barrel light up.

I haven't used the radio much, nor did I hear anything from it as I carried it.

(Yes I did put the battery in it)

So I dropped it a few hours into the patch :(

Someone had mentioned that there's a key to switch between direct chat and radio chat.

Was this a rumor? If not, what key is it assigned to?

Also, a related question:

Does the VOIP slider in audio configuration determine the volume for the radio output?

Mine is tuned down, maybe that's why I didn't hear anything?

Not sure about it but such key does exist. It could be [ and ] but not entirely sure.

You can check the options because it's in the bindings.

W10 still seems to still be having driver issues and it definitely has privacy issues. Hopefully it will become more stable by the Spring.

W8.1 boots quickly and has a slight performance advantage over W7. Its interface, IMHO, is a nightmare.

W7 is capable and very user friendly.

MS is back porting their spyware to W7 and W8.1, so they also now have privacy issues.

With one exception, I'm running Linux on all of my machines and I've stopped buying any new Windows games. I've been keeping an eye on the Linux port of ARMA3, hoping that BI has success with that project, because nothing would make me happier than to be able to ditch my last remaining W8.1 box. In the future I may keep a copy of W7 around to run in a VM, but I have no intention of moving to W10.

To make this happen, Bohemia Interactive need to stop using DirectX and don't go to DirectX 12. Instead, they need to work with Vulkan or Mantle which are multiple/cross-platform. To be honest, all the game developers need to stop using DirectX. It's time to put Microsoft and their monopoly to a rest, amen.

When I turned the radio on whenever I would press the caps lock key it would show that I was talking directly into the radio.

I believe that the voip volume does affect radios as well since radios are a form of voice communication.

In the bottom left corner it says either "x.xx FM" or "Direct Communication". By this way you know which channel you're using.

Perhaps they use different hardware with the servers. That way they can test which hardware is optimal.

I just caught the fact that I called the apartments at Severograd a "hospital" and the internet police (you) didn't catch it.... wow.

It reminded that we had a tent pitched up there and one then spawned in next to us during the target practice.

Called the police, they are coming to pick you up.

Too bad, now you can't play with your new system. :(

Me too, pick up pants turn around "wow, more pants".

in my squirrel like hoarding of Tulga stuff I noticed If I run a lap of the town back to my barrel and repeat the same lap I can get the town to indefinitely produce a sustainable amount of food and drink and enough crafted rope that a craftable hammock should be a thing.

I don't think you need to be far away to spawn in new loot. I picked up a battery once in a shed and went a few meters to a garage and a new battery spawned in when I went back to check it again.

had a new thing today. drank from a cooking pot, then couldn't remove it from my hand. hotkey, dragging in inventory, and throwing all didn't do anything. had to relog. I'll fill out a bug report thing.

where's a good place to look for boar in .59? got myself kitted as a proper hunter hermit now.

If you think your hands are stuck try pushing F2 (hands-up gesture) which will sometimes unstuck your hands. :)
  • Like 3

WHERE ARE THE ZOMBIES!

They're everywhere if you look hard enough. I've ran into some in fields, towns, airfields, etc. Just keep looking and eventually you'll find some.

WHERE ARE THE ZOMBIES!

Go to Cherno, or Elektro, or Severograd. Big cities have them. Even Stary Sobor.

Getting memory could not be read crashes now. Happened two times in an hour.

They're everywhere if you look hard enough. I've ran into some in fields, towns, airfields, etc. Just keep looking and eventually you'll find some.

Ive been across like 5 different servers, went all the way from elektro to cherno and im allll the way up behind the airfield now, not one zombie. I WANT TO GET BIT!

WHERE ARE THE ZOMBIES!

There's a ton in Zelenogorsk. Also herd of cows running around neat the path to Green Mountain Hoilday camp. Those cows in full run are a joy to look at. It's supernice to see more animals ingame now. Even just running through forest got me some foxes and pigs. Chicken seem to spawn only on meadows, which makes sense to me. 

I got hit in zelenogorsk police station by a zombie - I didn't shoot, it got attracted, because I was too close. It did that leap jump at me, but it looked like it was too far away to hit, yet did. I kited some more zombies to the school, ran into the main doors and closed it. They all glitched through the double door. However, I just took a left and then closed the next door out on the right while running through. Zombies all stayed in the school and I could go loot. I love doing this stuff silently. Zombies aren't as unresponsive as I've thought a few days ago. Hit detection is still a bit off/slow, but I can adapt to that. 

Edited by S3V3N

To make this happen, Bohemia Interactive need to stop using DirectX and don't go to DirectX 12. Instead, they need to work with Vulkan or Mantle which are multiple/cross-platform. To be honest, all the game developers need to stop using DirectX. It's time to put Microsoft and their monopoly to a rest, amen.en!

Amen!

Reject proprietary walled gardens!

• Like 2

where's a good place to look for boar in .59?  got myself kitted as a proper hunter hermit now.

As far as I can tell there aren't really any hot spots for a particular animal. I've spotted a boar twice now in 0.59 though, and both times I just randomly saw one sprinting away from me in an open field. Don't forget, for right now when you kill it, it will still be standing up and not look like it's dead (just like people). The first one I killed was with a 1911 at like 200m; when I didn't see it drop after the first shot I figured it would run away, but it didn't,  so I shot it again... and again... and again. Turns out that probably every single one of my shots made contact (I could even see the blood with each hit), and I probably killed it on the first shot since it never moved after I began firing.

• Like 2

had a new thing today.  drank from a cooking pot, then couldn't remove it from my hand.  hotkey, dragging in inventory, and throwing all didn't do anything.  had to relog.  I'll fill out a bug report thing.

happened to me the first day of the release but I have tried to reproduce it with other characters since and it doesn't happen again

Just went and checked it out for myself. 

Merged.

This is where Exp discussion takes place.

I think it is about time you read the Rules and Guidelines.

Lot of small improvements to the game that go nearly unnoticed. I like the new nightfall. It's a bit speedy, but feels good. If the way night/light looks can be improved with future updates, I see less need to crank up the gamma. I really hope for awesome nights! And of course the new realistic reloading is a small but important feat to better gunplay. Animal behaviour is improved too, though the dead animation is missing. 

How do I drain the water from the barrels? I can't seem to find any in them, yet when I take a backpack or clothes from a barrel, I am instantly damp. 

I tried tanning. Fox doesn't work for me. Everything else works. I used a rabbit snare and moved 250-300m away and it caught a rabbit in under five minutes. I've had less success in the past, it seems to work faster now. Rabbit pelts give you 2 leather, it takes a while though. I think the cow got me 8-9 leather - wasn't it five before? Leather crafting works instantly, but tanning takes a couple of minutes, before leather shows in the barrel.

Pretty awesome update. The people who are complaining too much didn't go into it deep enough yet. I'm very happy with this update, improves upon 0.58 and even though it's early to say, I think the CLE works great now and the items spawn are very diverse when you move all over the map. Zombies are early and still too low in numbers, but when they get on your tail it's pretty dangerous. Can't wait for cars now, but it's really nice we got this update inbetween, so we have some fun + testing, while waiting. Good job Devs, it's coming along nicely!

Edited by S3V3N
  • Like 7

I used a rabbit snare and moved 250-300m away and it caught a rabbit in under five minutes. I've had less success in the past, it seems to work faster now.

Good to know. I've always said I would use these more if they didn't fail so often and/or take so long for success, so now I can shut up and use them :)

• Like 1

I can't remember if I had it on or not  :P

Thanks for the tips, I'd like to figure that thing out, especially it it's a warning that other's are nearby.

You have to be careful, if you can hear your radio, people around you can hear it.
  • Like 1