boneboys

Exp Update: 0.59 (+hotfix).

Lot of small improvements to the game that go nearly unnoticed. I like the new nightfall. It's a bit speedy, but feels good. If the way night/light looks can be improved with future updates, I see less need to crank up the gamma. I really hope for awesome nights! And of course the new realistic reloading is a small but important feat to better gunplay. Animal behaviour is improved too, though the dead animation is missing. 

How do I drain the water from the barrels? I can't seem to find any in them, yet when I take a backpack or clothes from a barrel, I am instantly damp. 

I tried tanning. Fox doesn't work for me. Everything else works. I used a rabbit snare and moved 250-300m away and it caught a rabbit in under five minutes. I've had less success in the past, it seems to work faster now. Rabbit pelts give you 2 leather, it takes a while though. I think the cow got me 8-9 leather - wasn't it five before? Leather crafting works instantly, but tanning takes a couple of minutes, before leather shows in the barrel.

Pretty awesome update. The people who are complaining too much didn't go into it deep enough yet. I'm very happy with this update, improves upon 0.58 and even though it's early to say, I think the CLE works great now and the items spawn are very diverse when you move all over the map. Zombies are early and still too low in numbers, but when they get on your tail it's pretty dangerous. Can't wait for cars now, but it's really nice we got this update inbetween, so we have some fun + testing, while waiting. Good job Devs, it's coming along nicely!

While I largely agree with you, and I like the direction of the CLE, I am still not happy with the diversity of loot. When a loot item drops below the minimum level, the CLE starts spamming that item in large quantities. Case in point, last night I was finding sweaters and shirts in just about every house. Then it was shirts and protector cases then it was protector cases and .22 pistols. Meanwhile, the deer stands had PU scopes and hunting scopes. Then hunting scopes and heat packs, then heat packs and hunting pants. It's far too predictable. Once you have your hunting scope, you can safely ignore deer stands for an hour, until the CLE starts spamming a new item.

Hopefully, once regional control of the CLE is implemented, this will no longer be a problem.

• Like 3

Good to know. I've always said I would use these more if they didn't fail so often and/or take so long for success, so now I can shut up and use them :)

I don't mind the time or the fail part. I just place them and go loot in the meanwhile and check every now and then if I made a catch.

The exact percentage of succes is unknown to me. Made a trap tonight and didn't catch anything 3 times and then it was ruined.

I needed bones for the fishing hook but found a fishing hook later on.

Now I only need a barrel and a cooking tripod but can't find any. I have searched for three hours.

Made an interesting discovery though. Every item, even the untouched ones despawn in 30 minutes and get replaced by new items. At least it appears that way for me.

In my opinion the CLE needs to be toned down heavily! I was only looting one town and new loot was constantly coming. Heck, with some buildings I could even loot cycle for a while just like the quonset huts.

Loot respawns to fast in the same place, it needs to be spread out more to be honest.

• Like 3

Solid insight, thank you.

I think putting a stripped down version of 7 on my comp might be the best thing to do for now.

I abhor bloated programming and unless someone says, "OMG NOOO YOU MUST GO 10 NAO!!", I'm going to stay on 7.

Thats what I do since 3 years, 10/10 would do again. stripped down Win7 64 professional with Black vipers help (look him up), no windows updates. smooth as butter like day 1, no problems.

Havent even updated my gpu driver either this whole time.

Edited by jayfkay

Made an interesting discovery though. Every item, even the untouched ones despawn in 30 minutes and get replaced by new items. At least it appears that way for me.

I described something similar one or two pages ago. I was puzzled that I memorized the location of items only to return to the spot later and find a different arrangement and often the item in question was missing. That's a bit inconvenient, as I like to leave stuff near the base untouched and pick it up on the return, after I emptied my bag.

About the CLE: it's quite possible it spawns too fast now. Often when I remove one item another one spawns right in its place. However, I didn't have the experience of the same items dropping in large quantities. I found one new gasmask, one storage box, etc.

Usually just one special item in the vicinity and then I have to roam again to find something else. Still haven't found a cooking pot, but as for tripods, they spawn inside the small grocery stores/shops - at least that's where I found some. Do you know, if we can only use these on the big fires now? The ones we need to use the pickaxe for to harvest stones? I'm gonna try that when I finally find a damn pot.  

I have 19 delicious meat to cook. A BBQ grid for the tripod would be pretty cool when you're roasting meat. I don't like the idea of putting it in a pot with water ;) Or if we could just use the ones that are in the fireplaces inside houses without a pot; or put them on the hot stones around the fire. Or shoot them with a lazor!!! I just don't want to bbq all that meat on a stick ^^ 

Edited by S3V3N

I described something similar one or two pages ago. I was puzzled that I memorized the location of items only to return to the spot later and find a different arrangement and often the item in question was missing. That's a bit inconvenient, as I like to leave stuff near the base untouched and pick it up on the return, after I emptied my bag.

About the CLE: it's quite possible it spawns too fast now. Often when I remove one item another one spawns right in its place. However, I didn't have the experience of the same items dropping in large quantities. I found one new gasmask, one storage box, etc.

Usually just one special item in the vicinity and then I have to roam again to find something else. Still haven't found a cooking pot, but as for tripods, they spawn inside the small grocery stores/shops - at least that's where I found some. Do you know, if we can only use these on the big fires now? The ones we need to use the pickaxe for to harvest stones? I'm gonna try that when I finally find a damn pot.  

I have 19 delicious meat to cook. A BBQ grid for the tripod would be pretty cool when you're roasting meat. I don't like the idea of putting it in a pot with water ;) Or if we could just use the ones that are in the fireplaces inside houses without a pot; or put them on the hot stones around the fire. Or shoot them with a lazor!!! I just don't want to bbq all that meat on a stick ^^

I'm going to do some testing as well as soon as I find a barrel and the tripod. I know where to find them both but haven't had any luck so far. :(

I'm going to do some testing as well as soon as I find a barrel and the tripod. I know where to find them both but haven't had any luck so far. :(

I have a few barrels ^^

2015-11-06_00001_zpsmjrlncln.jpg

Berezino is my go to place for barrels. It's either that or tents. Always good to visit the B. Mostly the northern part of it (not the coast). The sad part is they and the tent are almost full :( I'm such a hoarder in this game, I don't know why, but I love stuffing the camp with supplies, so I never have to go out :)

Edited by S3V3N
  • Like 3

I don't mind the time or the fail part. I just place them and go loot in the meanwhile and check every now and then if I made a catch.

That's my problem... I always move on and forget to check until it's way too late and I'm either across the map or in a different server :P

A BBQ grid for the tripod would be pretty cool when you're roasting meat. I don't like the idea of putting it in a pot with water

Might I recommend substituting your water for....... animal lard  ;)

Agreed, a little rack to hang from the tripod would be awesome. We could just as easily turn the barrels into grills, too!

EDIT: Now that I think about it, they already have a separate model for the grill rack that exists inside the fireplace of certain houses now (the kind you can actually use). They could just make it a game item and let us put it on barrels, maybe?

Edited by Tatanko
  • Like 3

Anyone else having issues with this stuttering lag ? 

I run for a few seconds , then game freezes for a few seconds, continues to do this constantly , FPS is fine, its not dropping to like 1fps or anything like that. 

Ping is great. Flush command has no effect. Only happens on experimental 

Greetings!!!!

I have awoken from my slumber to find that amazing advancements have been made in the world of DayZ!

I managed to get my hands on a few SWEET SWEET BARRELS and wound up making for myself a leather outfit, and then I even colored it with nails...

There's only one problem... Each article of clothing has a different shade of black than all the others!!!!!! Is there some quantity or orientation of nails that I need to figure out in order to make them all the same?

This is a full black leather outfit:

5Vmbgfp.png

And here is what it looks like when you attempt to Roleplay as The Black Knight (I have no friends for a better angle :( ) :

rlCKTEP.jpg

I have also discovered that sharpening a single stick results in five sharpened sticks. You can then add a single feather to a stack of five sharpened sticks to instantly make 5 improvised arrows. You can also add a single bone to a stack of five improvised arrows to instantly make 5 bone tipped arrows. The bow can only be "chambered" with one arrow at a time instead of five, and reloading requires the inventory screen, and dragging and dropping another arrow onto the bow. I am looking for some sort of quiver or some such as I have a feeling it may now work for bows.

Starting with radios is something i requested awhile ago, predicting that radio banter would be hilarious and purposefully indecipherable. I was completely right. As soon as i got my radio up I said :

"breaker breaker, alpha mic check mic mic mic over". got a reply:

"breaker roger reading loud and clear over". Then I responded:

"roger roger alpha tango zulu we got some Z's in the whiskey and the yellow honky is-a-floppin' "...

Only response I got was this dude muttering to hmself "What the fuck is the yellow honky????????"

Hooray for Experimental!

Edited by FlimFlamm
  • Like 13

Another new item that I ran across today...or at least new to me. Hiking Jacket.

u6ZVXac.png

• Like 3

I bet there is your lag you are all feeling. Not including the AI loading.

Its the same problem we are faced with flames. Looks great, but really causes the server to go crazy.

Check your CPU load times on the server, and or FPS. I bet you drop a smoke with 3 around and the server spikes. Do it a few times, and the server freezes.

So, thanks to GaryWalnuts I managed to get my hands on a barrel and a cooking tripod and have made some interesting discoveries:

- There is no way to put a cooking tripod on a fireplace in a barrel

- There is no way to put a stone ring on a fireplace in a barrel

- The fireplace doesn't glow anymore, at least not for a long period

- Cooking works, had at least 10 pieces of meat, mostly fish and didn't get sick

And the best part of it: cooking with a cooking pot now decreases the amount of water of the cooking pot. That was the best part of the cooking tonight to be honest. :)

That's my problem... I always move on and forget to check until it's way too late and I'm either across the map or in a different server :P

Might I recommend substituting your water for....... animal lard ;)

Agreed, a little rack to hang from the tripod would be awesome. We could just as easily turn the barrels into grills, too!

EDIT: Now that I think about it, they already have a separate model for the grill rack that exists inside the fireplace of certain houses now (the kind you can actually use). They could just make it a game item and let us put it on barrels, maybe?

Well, you need to learn not to forget then. :P

Greetings!!!!

I have awoken from my slumber to find that amazing advancements have been made in the world of DayZ!

I managed to get my hands on a few SWEET SWEET BARRELS and wound up making for myself a leather outfit, and then I even colored it with nails...

There's only one problem... Each article of clothing has a different shade of black than all the others!!!!!! Is there some quantity or orientation of nails that I need to figure out in order to make them all the same?

This is a full black leather outfit:

5Vmbgfp.png

And here is what it looks like when you attempt to Roleplay as The Black Knight (I have no friends for a better angle :( ) :

rlCKTEP.jpg

I have also discovered that sharpening a single stick results in five sharpened sticks. You can then add a single feather to a stack of five sharpened sticks to instantly make 5 improvised arrows. You can also add a single bone to a stack of five improvised arrows to instantly make 5 bone tipped arrows. The bow can only be "chambered" with one arrow at a time instead of five, and reloading requires the inventory screen, and dragging and dropping another arrow onto the bow. I am looking for some sort of quiver or some such as I have a feeling it may now work for bows.

Starting with radios is something i requested awhile ago, predicting that radio banter would be hilarious and purposefully indecipherable. I was completely right. As soon as i got my radio up I said :

"breaker breaker, alpha mic check mic mic mic over". got a reply:

"breaker roger reading loud and clear over". Then I responded:

"roger roger alpha tango zulu we got some Z's in the whiskey and the yellow honky is-a-floppin' "...

Only response I got was this dude muttering to hmself "What the fuck is the yellow honky????????"

Hooray for Experimental!

That's awesome, love random shit with encounters haha.

Edit: noticed the bugs with the sharpening of arrows as well. Will file in a bug report tommorow if I don't forget. Now it's time to hit the hay. :)

Edited by IMT
  • Like 7

Another new item that I ran across today...or at least new to me. Hiking Jacket.

u6ZVXac.png

Is it taking two or one slot in inventory?

Got a few more hours in this evening, dealt with some wireless connectivity issues that ultimately forced me to do what I should always be doing regardless (hardwiring via ethernet). After I got that taken care of, I spent the entire evening on a server that is fairly nearby to me (US East 0-2) that was completely full 50/50 the entire time. Performance was what you'd expect for a full server on Experimental -- a little desync here and there or a minor delay before an action is performed. Issues with dropped items going elsewhere due to desync was a theme for the night, but it's predictable in its behavior so we never lost anything due to it, since we always knew where to look.

I wish I'd had more time to test the barrels tonight, but I see IMT made up for it :) Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to test wardrobes and locked doors, either. Oh well, another night.

Social interaction has actually skewed more towards friendly for me now that the initial rush of "must see the shiny new things" crowd has gone back to Stable for the time being. A whole group of friendly travelers helped defend us from a horde of zombies in Chernogorsk when we were just fresh spawns. Very nice fellows. I even ran into -- you guessed it -- JUKEBOX GUY! I swear, we were running from Cherno to Elektro and as we are saying, "I hope we find Jukebox Guy so we can go on an adventure together," he comes running down the road towards us, music blaring!  :lol: A good night for sure, just wish I had been able to do more testing. Speaking of which, have any of our Experimental regulars found the suave-looking Lab Coat yet?

I took a few pictures tonight (duh) and one of them involved messing with the exposure of the shot in-game... one of my favorite visual tricks. Since I captured several different levels of exposure of the same shot, I figured I would make a little GIF out of it:

3ogHKTY.gif

Skyren got unintentionally flashbanged while we were playing:

YXVDJxq.png

An interesting glitch, as I view another interesting "glitch" (not really a glitch though)

21fp0Q9.jpg

The rest of the pictures:

xDUtR2K.jpg

vAP90dr.jpg

37q8kwb.jpg

liUBA5g.jpg

cDuM7g3.jpg

• Like 8

Speaking of which, have any of our Experimental regulars found the suave-looking Lab Coat yet?

No, but I but I picked up a cute little nurse's dress and I thought that we could play doctor later. ;)

Unfortunately, it made my ass look fat :(, so I tore it up for bandages.

• Like 5

Is there any way to get rid of constant freezing on dual core? I'm not looking for miracles with FPS, just freezing for 3-6 seconds kinda ruins the game

u6ZVXac.png

This was added midway in 0.58 stable and is currently in the stable build. Comes in blue and black, blue with little orange highlights, green and black and this red and black one.

• Like 1

Is there any way to get rid of constant freezing on dual core? I'm not looking for miracles with FPS, just freezing for 3-6 seconds kinda ruins the game

Try deleting your config file in my documents -> dayz, and then just start the game normally and it will be remade ... This is what helped me !

WHERE ARE THE ZOMBIES!

Try Zelenogorsk, I went there a few times and each time it was absolutely INFESTED. It was a proper horror game experience silently sneaking around at night watching zombies lurk 10 feet away from me.

• Like 2

Try deleting your config file in my documents -> dayz, and then just start the game normally and it will be remade ... This is what helped me !

I deleted dayz.cfg, but changed settings. Same freezing even in middle of nowhere. Only hope is that problem is not on my side.

Okay, combining small guts and plant material (inside a barrel) will really give you fertilizer. Same as with tanning, rightclick on the barrel and you get the option. There can be other stuff in the barrel, while you're brewing it up and they don't get damaged. Yesterday, I tanned leather and had a pristine bag of fertilizer among with a damaged one inside the barrel. When I used "tan leather", both bags turned badly damaged, so it's best to only use one bag of fertz at a time. 

I could only get badly damaged fertilizer out of the process and it was under 40%, however it worked flawlessly for tanning. Next time I'm gonna try with warm guts, to check if the outcome is any better. 

Hey, I finally found a cooking pot, too :)!

Yesterday I wrote, I didn't yet come across any lootbombs with only the same items, but today I made the experience myself. There were 10 CR75 in a single police station I checked. So, yeah - CLE seems to be off respawning certain items and confusing where to spawn them. I'm not sure how it works in detail, but I wonder why the devs can't make it so that only 3-4 items of the same kind spawn in a ~5km radius. I love finding cool stuff, but even cool stuff feels wrong when it comes in massive heaps. I'd rather have found one CR75 mag than 10 pistols. 

Fireplaces don't last very long, right? I got to remember to disassemble it, so I don't lose the tripod and pot. I remember some iterations ago fireplaces lasted a week or longer and I thought that was quite cool. But they're a minor hassle to craft, so it's okay like this, too. I don't place them near the camp anyway out of fear of discovery. 

Edited by S3V3N
  • Like 2

I deleted dayz.cfg, but changed settings. Same freezing even in middle of nowhere. Only hope is that problem is not on my side.

Deleting the config seemed to resolve the issue for me as well . 

Had to re adjust my vid settings of course , but no biggy 

• Like 2

Is it possible right now to ad grenades to tripwires? Tried it with M67, smokegranade (russian) and with an flashbang. Didn´t get it :(

Alright, in an hour and an half I'll play some DayZ. Does someone want something specifically tested? It can be anything, even which involves killing yourself! :lol:

• Like 2