boneboys

Exp Update: 0.59 (+hotfix).

I didnt get it, I made things to complicated. I craftet a fireplacekit and threw it into the barrel. But everytime I tried to light it up, the message appears "You need some kindle to light the fire up" 

edit: I know now, I only need to put the stuff directly into the barrel... ^^

Maybe it would be great to add some categories to campfires ( and maybe vehicles too) so you always know where to put what? Maybe something like that:

mNjkldt.jpg

I had similar trouble the first time trying to light a fire in the barrel too.

For those that haven't tried it yet here's what you do

(spoilered for you guys who like to figure stuff out on your own)

You don't create a fireplace kit and then put it into the barrel.

Once you poke holes in the barrel it sort of becomes an empty fireplace kit, for lack of a better term..

And it has a ui/inventory mechanic similar to the v3s.

So, place the rags and sticks on the barrel just like you would place the glow plug and battery on the v3s, on the icon instead of in the inventory.

Light and enjoy your hobo can   :P

I do like the idea of having multiple sections of slots, at least for stuff with the more sophisticated mechanics.

I think the labels might be too much, you've got to leave some of the mystery   :)

Who knows, maybe when devs release a more polished new ui we'll see some of that.

edit:  wow.  bright lights. i shouldnt drag and drop before coffee

Edited by GaryWalnuts
  • Like 1

Yesterday while playing I was running along the coast with my radio turned on to I believe it was 91.3 and I was able to hear another player's entire broadcast so the person might've been near by. It would make sense that the further you are away from someone the more noise would interfere with the transmission causing you to only get bits and pieces of what someone is saying. There's a bug that's been reported that allows you to hear others over the radio, but they won't be able to hear you so that might be the cause of why nobody was able to hear you.

I haven't used the radio much, nor did I hear anything from it as I carried it.  

(Yes I did put the battery in it)

So I dropped it a few hours into the patch  :(

Someone had mentioned that there's a key to switch between direct chat and radio chat.

Was this a rumor?  If not, what key is it assigned to?

Also, a related question:  

Does the VOIP slider in audio configuration determine the volume for the radio output?

Mine is tuned down, maybe that's why I didn't hear anything?

Edited by GaryWalnuts

So, if I delete the Dayz.cfg file and start up DayZ again, it'll just replace the file with a default one? I want to try this, it seems useful.

Yeah it's pretty fucking frustrating. I've had some of the best times doin random stuff with random people on exp, and the first player interaction I had on this was someone shooting my freshie ass on sight. DW though, I'm sure if you keep talking to people you run into, at least some are bound to return the favor.

Yea for some reason my config file was all messed up after downloading the experimental update , I deleted it out of my documents section and just restarted the game ... Maybe this is why your aspect ratio is messed up ? It didn't do that for me but it was causing severe lag as the options were all set to wonky settings, after I restarted it finally gave me a solid 20-25 fps in Svetlo / Novo .

Got to play about 3 hours last night. Man was it fun having the infected back in. Spent the last half hour making hordes by shooting infected. 

During my playtime I experienced a lot of poor performance with interacting with items. Chambering the sporter and an AK74 lead to misfire. Don't know if it was a timing/desync issue or what but if I had the gun raised in hands when I chambered the round I could almost guarantee a working shot if I lowered then raised, lowered, and then raised again. Or if I ironsighted then lowered then ironsighted. Again I couldn't tell if it was timing/desync or if these actions played a role in getting a shot off. I'm leaning toward timing/desync because those actions weren't 100% effective, more like 99% chance to work.

We experienced houses with opened doors not allowing infected in. The church in Stary was one. I could open and close the doors but the infected could not enter in either state. My buddy did the same. We punched the walls, because that sometimes works????.... We punched the doors to break them open but they still couldn't enter. We could shot the infected with the doors opened while we were inside. There were some houses that had items that you couldn't interact with. I had one house with this and tried punching a wall. Punching the wall resulted in the door closing. Scared me a little but still couldn't interact with the items that I could see. Items wouldn't show in the inventory screen in the left pane either. 

Seemed like the server we were one had longer nights than days.  

All in all it was still super fun to play. Partly because we ran into a random player who ended up playing with us for about 2 hours. Only using direct chat was really refreshing.

The radio system was interesting, buggy but interesting. I could hear people without a radio in my inventory. The radio voice could use some more static added to distinguish whether or not it was radio or direct chat. It was kinda difficult to discern the difference. 

We all really enjoyed the limited ammo. Seemed to make people friendlier and made you look at players differently. For instance my friend ran into someone with a gun but without a backpack or any clothes with higher then fresh spawn space capacity. So when this player tried to hold him up, my friend called him out for not having ammo. Sure enough, he was right. 

Most of the bugs that people have already talked about, we experienced. Dead bodies standing up, interacting with items was lagged, houses were laggy when interacting with items, bullet chambering was laggy, bouncy items when thrown (not just flares, smoke, and flashbangs). Some people commented that the audio was a bit louder or sounds sounded closer. I would agree but I can't say for sure if this was an improvement or not. Voices did seem clearer and the proximity to loudness was noticeable. 

Got lots of footage that I intend to go through and document the bugs we found. We were really trying hard to reproduce what bugs we could. 

Some other highlights were bouncing a flare into a tree, cutting down the tree and having the flare stay stuck in the air. Throwing an item twice will cause said item to disappear on the third throw. Thought this was only related to foods (pumpkin basketball!) but firearms will do the same.

Hope some of this helps. Can't wait for more updates.  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)

• Like 4

Can we get a bit of clarification on this. Only because I feel like DayZ is a special case in terms of optimization. I don't know many other early access games I've played where I get motion sickness from playing because the frames get so low. I literally get headaches and sometimes nausea from it. I remember when minecraft first came out there were occasional issues with it and it was basically fixed in a patch (think it was actually a memory leak causing the performance issues). Obviously that's a much different case but the point is I guess I've never heard of "optimization" referring to achieving an acceptable amount of frames. Even the word itself suggests almost a maximization or setting some sort of benchmark to hit. Optimal means best or most favourable. I wouldn't consider trying to accomplish 30FPS in cities consistently an optimization, that should be a starting point. Actually, any number that doesn't cause motion sickness would be nice.

My basic understanding of the situation is that DayZ is running on an engine that isn't designed to do what it's being asked to do. Shouldn't the new engine, if we see it in alpha, provide some basic relief from those issues and raise performance to a starting point from which to optimize? Perhaps that's why you're saying the "heavy work" won't start until beta, which is understandable. But I definitely don't expect beta to begin until next summer or even autumn at the earliest (based on the current pace I'm not getting optimistic), it would be nice to play before then.

PM me with your rig specs and I will help you optimize DayZ. I have helped 3 other people achieve much better performance.

• Like 4

Someone had mentioned that there's a key to switch between direct chat and radio chat.

Does the VOIP slider in audio configuration determine the volume for the radio output?

Even after putting the battery in, you still have to turn it on. If you right click and it show the channel followed by ON, it is off. Then, someone else has to be on the same channel for you to hear them. I believe it is the period or slash key to switch between direct and radio. You can hear it without being in that, though.

• Like 2

We both pretended to be motorcycles and made engine noises in direct yesterday, as we ran straight through Zelenogorsk. Magically, nobody was there to shoot us :)

Oh my god I need to try this  :lol:

Yesterday I wanted to test the persistence for locked doors and a wardrobe. I stashed a weapon inside one wardrobe (through the player interaction menu) and locked two doors leading to the room with the wardrobe.

Coming back today after some 11 hours, both doors were unlocked and the wardrobe was empty.

The thing with this is now only that I don't know if the doors were unlocked by another player and the weapon looted from the wardrobe or were they gone just because their state did not persist.

Only way to know for sure is to find a really remote spot with a house (that has a wardrobe) and test it there by coming back every few hours. If you need help picking a spot, send me a PM and I'll see if I can help :)

I didnt get it, I made things to complicated. I craftet a fireplacekit and threw it into the barrel. But everytime I tried to light it up, the message appears "You need some kindle to light the fire up" 

edit: I know now, I only need to put the stuff directly into the barrel... ^^

Apparently I was making it complicated as well. I was making a fireplace and putting it in the barrel too.

edit:  wow.  bright lights. i shouldnt drag and drop before coffee

"Paste as Plain Text" my friend :)

• Like 1

Busting through a locked door is pretty easy.  All you have to do is hit it with an axe a couple of times and it pops right open. Hell, you can even punch them open.  Anyone with a lock pick can open it too.

Silly beanheaded me. Yeah, true that it's entirely possible to bust through a locked door with almost any means available.

Only way to know for sure is to find a really remote spot with a house (that has a wardrobe) and test it there by coming back every few hours. If you need help picking a spot, send me a PM and I'll see if I can help :)

I'm way up north already to begin with. And to still on top of that to try and find a remote spot.

And still you can't be 100% sure; logging back in after x amount of time if the locked doors have been unlocked and wardrobes been emptied by a random trespasser or if everything is gone because of "persistence" (or the lack of it) :)

Guess I'll need to experiment with these a bit more. Though some official response or clarification would be nice too :)

I'm sorry if this is considered "off topic" but I really would like some advice as to what OS I should put on my new computer for eh, DayZ purposes, yeah that's the ticket.

Seriously, Win10 is full of bloat and I'm really comfy with 7....

Should I go to 8.1 and then go to 10 when DX12 is a thing for DayZ?

Thoughts please!?

*Spoiler for specs

GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SLI LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core i5-4690K Devil's Canyon Quad-Core 3.5 GHz LGA 1150 BX80646I54690K Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4600

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL

Corsair Hydro Series High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler H60

(sticking with GT750 card for now, have 225 SSD, and a few terabytes HDD, and viable tower)

All in all it was still super fun to play. Partly because we ran into a random player who ended up playing with us for about 2 hours. Only using direct chat was really refreshing.

I had a blast too, was great to hang with you guys :)  bummed I had to ditch before the hordes!

• Like 1

Just went and checked it out for myself. 
First thing I've noticed , was the weird lag. 

Took nearly 5 minutes to load the client itself

Then once in game 

I got Normal frame rate, but froze up every few seconds . Everything in game would just stop moving for a few seconds then resume. 
Tested on all servers, all have good ping and fps, But same issue with random locking up. 

Zombies are back , seems to be the exact same ones as before , with just a different attack animation.... kinda lame 

Havent got to test much yet , but found these 

QQ0qMYv.jpg

gUmJZM4.jpg

Oh , and I can't seem to drop this cooking pot now that i drank from it .... so watch out for that 

Edited by J0nathan

Has anyone found a dartgun or a dartgun scope? They are already configured just like the new vehicles.

Even after putting the battery in, you still have to turn it on. If you right click and it show the channel followed by ON, it is off. Then, someone else has to be on the same channel for you to hear them. I believe it is the period or slash key to switch between direct and radio. You can hear it without being in that, though.

I can't remember if I had it on or not  :P

Thanks for the tips, I'd like to figure that thing out, especially it it's a warning that other's are nearby.

"Paste as Plain Text" my friend :)

I accidentally typed my response in imun's quote bubble then just dragged it out  :rolleyes:

Thanks, now I know!

• Like 1

Fun with grenades...  note the status message for my ankle. Is this new or did I just not see this before?  Flash bang, in damaged condition btw, detonated at my feet.

http://imgur.com/a/hrHEW

Junior helped me test the new flashbang grenades today, didn't tell him what or that he was testing something for full effect. We'd split up looting Kami and I called him over to the police station to see something interesting. I pulled the pin at the top of the stairs and waited for his footsteps and threw it down the stairs. He was full blind and deaf for 20-30 seconds, I turned my back until I heard it and just had mild background ringing for a few seconds. They're going to be really fun and useful offensively and defensively. 

• Like 3

Red 9 looks interesting.

I'll need to hop on and critique the zombies.

They were taken out for stability though weren't they, not specifically for any AI upgrade or nothing, afaik

Fun with grenades...  note the status message for my ankle. Is this new or did I just not see this before?  Flash bang, in damaged condition btw, detonated at my feet.

http://imgur.com/a/hrHEW

I've seen chipped and fractured legs but I can't remember ever seeing sprained ankle.

• Like 2

I'm way up north already to begin with. And to still on top of that to try and find a remote spot.

And still you can't be 100% sure; logging back in after x amount of time if the locked doors have been unlocked and wardrobes been emptied by a random trespasser or if everything is gone because of "persistence" (or the lack of it) :)

Guess I'll need to experiment with these a bit more.

If you don't get around to testing it or don't have the time, I've got some ideas in mind for it. It will require me to dedicate a few hours of my time, but I can definitely do that this weekend if you don't beat me to it.

I'm sorry if this is considered "off topic" but I really would like some advice as to what OS I should put on my new computer for eh, DayZ purposes, yeah that's the ticket.

I've played DayZ on 7, 8.1, and 10 all on the same PC. I was never able to notice any difference in performance between the three. As someone who wasn't happy with 8.1 after moving from 7, the switch to 10 was good. I have no regrets. At work all day I use 7, and coming home to 10 on my personal rig doesn't in any way feel like a burden.

• Like 2

Toyed with these guys for a while last night.  MJ's Thriller playing in the background of course...

JY7wwYP.jpg

I had a blast too, was great to hang with you guys :)  bummed I had to ditch before the hordes!

• Like 9

I don't f*****g believe it! lol I just sold my gaming pc to build my next rig and this patch is launched. Oh DayZ you why do you taunt me!?

-snip-

I've played DayZ on 7, 8.1, and 10 all on the same PC. I was never able to notice any difference in performance between the three. As someone who wasn't happy with 8.1 after moving from 7, the switch to 10 was good. I have no regrets. At work all day I use 7, and coming home to 10 on my personal rig doesn't in any way feel like a burden.

Solid insight, thank you.

I think putting a stripped down version of 7 on my comp might be the best thing to do for now.

I abhor bloated programming and unless someone says, "OMG NOOO YOU MUST GO 10 NAO!!", I'm going to stay on 7.

• Like 4

Seriously, Win10 is full of bloat and I'm really comfy with 7....

Should I go to 8.1 and then go to 10 when DX12 is a thing for DayZ?

Thoughts please!?

*Spoiler for specs

GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SLI LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core i5-4690K Devil's Canyon Quad-Core 3.5 GHz LGA 1150 BX80646I54690K Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4600

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL

Corsair Hydro Series High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler H60

(sticking with GT750 card for now, have 225 SSD, and a few terabytes HDD, and viable tower)

W10 still seems to still be having driver issues and it definitely has privacy issues. Hopefully it will become more stable by the Spring.

W8.1 boots quickly and has a slight performance advantage over W7. Its interface, IMHO, is a nightmare.

W7 is capable and very user friendly.

MS is back porting their spyware to W7 and W8.1, so they also now have privacy issues.

With one exception, I'm running Linux on all of my machines and I've stopped buying any new Windows games. I've been keeping an eye on the Linux port of ARMA3, hoping that BI has success with that project, because nothing would make me happier than to be able to ditch my last remaining W8.1 box. In the future I may keep a copy of W7 around to run in a VM, but I have no intention of moving to W10.

• Like 3

When I turned the radio on whenever I would press the caps lock key it would show that I was talking directly into the radio.

I believe that the voip volume does affect radios as well since radios are a form of voice communication.

• Like 1

[...] note the status message for my ankle. Is this new or did I just not see this before? [...]

I've seen chipped and fractured legs but I can't remember ever seeing sprained ankle.

I saw this for the first time a couple of days ago as well. Unfortunately didn't think of testing if it affected my mobility although I seem to remember being unable to jump, but that could've been just regular Dayz unresponsiveness. Solved with a splint.

• Like 1