Hello Survivors,

as this week we have some national holidays coming up in the Czech Republic and a big part of the team took this chance to take a few days of vacation, this Status Report will be shorter than usual. However, we are diving into exciting content regardless, as we will be talking about the upcoming first big update for 0.63. And we are happy to showcase another huge collection of your awesome community content - Let's get to it!

Dev Update/Eugen

Dear Survivors,
it's about time to talk about the content update that's coming to Stress Test branch very soon and will get rolled over to the Experimental servers after making sure everything works as intended. We will try and batch the content updates in this way so we can stabilize and make sure the content works properly.

• AI Sensors/Audibility/Visibility

With this change you will see your stealth options getting expanded by quite a bit: Besides stances, the colours and weight of items will affect your ability to avoid zombies and confuse their perception.

• Hidden Stash

With this feature, you'll be able to hide your loot underground and put containers to use. The shovel will be spawning alongside the new containers ready to use. Same goes for corpses.

giphy.gif

• Character - Unconsciousness

Shock stat and weapon hits that increase it can cause the character to fall unconscious to be possibly saved by friends in your group. With the unconsciousness state, you'll be seeing more options to disable players and interact with them in combat.

• CPR 

The ability to CPR people with high shock values.

• Gestures

The new radial menu alongside the newly added gestures will now be available for even more interactions and videos you may create.

giphy.gif

• Repairing 

Items like the Sewing kit, Weapon Cleaning kit, Duct tape and more are seeing a comeback as durability matters again. Weapons don't jam yet but that's something you'll definitely see in a future content update.

• New weapons

Yes, there are new weapons coming to the game and it's two classics that everybody loves. M4A1 and Mosin. Yay!

giphy.gif

• Scopes

There is no definite list of scopes coming yet in the first content update, but, based on the weapons currently in the game, we will deliver a meaningful selection.

• Soft skills

The Soft skills are getting in, so you'll see the basic specializations working and your crafts bringing better results faster.

• Environmental Exposure

The temperature system will start working without any repercussions first to gather more information on how harsh we want to get.

• Jumping

We have started working on a huge animation set for jumps and climbing this year. So with the upcoming update, the first part of this package is gonna get in and give you the ability to cross some basic obstacles improving your manoeuvrability throughout Chernarus.

giphy.gif

• Diseases

Diseases and associated effects (coughing, sneezing and more) are returning as well as items that resolve possible negatives, such as purification tablets. This includes the possibility of diseases transfer from player to player and items.

• Compass 

The first part of the navigation system in DayZ besides the new map is the compass. Hopefully, it will help you to learn more about Chernarus and its intricacies.

giphy.gif

• Ambient Loot

One of the core features that we want to use to solve a possible lack of loot is a set of items that spawn not centrally but based on the player position and interactions. This might need a lot more tweaks, so expect its values to change even during testing.

• Voice Communication

The whole Voice Communication system along with radios, public radios, megaphone etc. is coming to the game to give you objectives on the map as well as new options to communicate and meet with other survivors in the game.

So, how soon this is going to happen? The features listed here are undergoing testing as of now and the content has been branched away from the internal development version with many more fixes and improvements to stability, security and server performance.

On a side note, since in the internal version of this patch, we resolved the GDPR issues blocking the ability to switch to the experimental version, with its introduction we will enable this option for server owners. I'm personally looking forward to all this content coming back alongside things that changed and have been improved upon heavily. See you in Chernarus!

- Eugen Harton / Lead Producer

Community Spotlight

Hello Survivors,

This weekend, Nine Inch Nails (a band that many of us in the dev team like) had a gig at the Aerodrome festival near Prague, and guess what - Alessandro Cortini, who's been a member of NIN for quite some time now, is a fellow DayZ survivor! We could not pass on the opportunity to meet with Alessandro, and so we did bother him for a bit before he went up on stage! It's been so awesome to chat and listen to some of his stories! Just a brief look at his DayZ t-shirt reassured us that he's serious about being a fan - the condition of the t-shirt has been way, way past pristine, and so we set him up with a new one :) Check out Alessandro on iTunes or SoundCloud, and look for him on Chernarus. Remember - talk to people! You never know who's on the other side, it could be someone from your favorite band!

153b30bb-26c4-4db9-a192-8400860f659e.jpg

Let's check out some new video content:

An emotional story of the life of Ricky Jameson by CamCANTRUN recorded in DayZ and the Arma 3 Eden Editor:

Ant made a DayZ fan trailer and it is really nice!

Rustycaddy made a video in honor of our beautiful Chernarus:

This is a story about the great opening of Uncuepa's bar. It starts really nice, there were a plenty delicious food, drinks and music, but what happened in the end wasn't nice…

And what about some of your pictures and drawings? Check it out:

The first one is a nice edit of a screenshot by the famous DrDesync.

r4ib64i4gi611.jpg

Another edit is made by Reddit user TheWhishImBallHorson named "They Found Me". Good job!

zXQiDZF.jpg

Zarrov sent us a sketch of his idea of barricading. It looks impressive!

1mdb3sgteu511.jpg

It is an end of a school year and Barrett5Bumpas is getting bored at his classes. So he made this DayZ inspired picture. It is really nice, but don't forget - education is more important than video games!

77u0vvoaul511.jpg

Do you know you can change the skin of your Steam? I didn't know until today. Mdswish shared his DayZ themed customized skin with the community, you can download it here.

790a1223-78cc-4570-b5c6-0ebdd5e04602.jpg

Do you remember the photo series Humans of Chernarus? It continues and it is still really cool. If you don't know it, it is a portrait of some DayZ characters living on the DayZ Underground server, the project is inspired by Humans of New York.

45f34ec8-084b-4f29-9f1b-7a1e928a4a53.jpg

And the last community content for today are Joito's Twitch alerts made by the talented Cobalt_Smobalt. They are so awesome!

follow.gif

host.gif

bttf.gif

Let's check the riddle.

Who guessed the riddle from the last Status Report? 

• Emu Threat
  • basedBara_RL
  • CanisDirus

The correct answer was a Little Hill near Mogilevka.

428e354e-2133-4c3c-8d03-bef540677ee1.jpg

And the riddle for this Status Report is:

d4fbf2ad-3416-4aab-9d81-71ccb7c44abd.jpg

If you know where is it, tweet it to our official Twitter account with #DayZriddleTime and you can be on the Wall of Fame next time.

Thank you for every content you've sent me and see you next time!

- Baty / Community Manager

Header image by A1ANNUAKII.

that's coming to Stress Test branch very soon and will get rolled over to the Experimental servers after making sure everything works as intended.

Seems like devs are bringing up things we all already know about. Feels like we are stuck on repeat and things are constantly promised to come "soon". Beta around the corner or late next year?

Edited by Brandon Clinch

26 minutes ago, Brandon Clinch said:

Seems like devs are bringing up things we all already know about. Feels like we are stuck on repeat and things are constantly promised to come "soon". Beta around the corner or late next year?

Seriously don't think it'll be long. My guestimate is stress test next week with some of the content from status report. I don't think they'll push everything in one patch. Gradually release->test till its all in and then pushed to experimental.

2 hours ago, Baty Alquawen said:
  • Voice Communication

The whole Voice Communication system along with radios, public radios, megaphone etc. is coming

I would really like to hear more about where the devs are currently with: 

• Hearing someone else's radio:  Example: Player A has no radio, but is standing beside Player B who has a radio, and is talking on the radio to Player C (who is far away), Player A should be able to hear both sides of the conversation, not just what Player B says.
  • Being able to turn a radio on, drop it on the ground, and any broadcast the radio picks up on the channel its set to can be heard by anyone near that radio.

For me, those two aspects are essential for radios in DayZ SA. Without them, we lose out on so many different gameplay possibilities.

Just to be clear, I'm not asking for those capabilities to be put in the game ASAP - it will happen when it happens. I'm just asking for some information on where things are with it, what differences there are with the new code vs the old, what challenges the devs have run into and overcome, and what still remains to be done. 

Buried stashes, yes please; or any persistent storage.  I really wanna see how resource aggregation impacts the  CLE, and how effective one can be at looting for a few of everything over a few hours of play.  

How are we supposed to properly stress test these builds without dumping an ungodly amount of useless crap in one place?

1 hour ago, Arthur Dubrovka said:

So just to clear things up... all of this content will be in next stress test build?! If this is true... damn I'm really excited.

It can be read like that, although I have a feeling there might be one more stability update before that. The current stress test build still has some Battleye issues (although to be fair that could be on Battleye's end, kick sprees only happen on some servers), but the queue seems to work now and I've only had one crash in maybe ten hours playtime total. There's also a very annoying inventory bug in it where magazines get stuck in weapons and renders them useless, I hope that gets fixed sooner rather than later.

16 hours ago, ☣BioHaze☣ said:

What's with all the fog in stress test?

Are we testing console optimization? :P

To be honest, I think that overall there is too much fog. I don't mind it in general and it can even create some beautiful scenery, but the fog just happens too much. I rarely see rain for example.

Since we did not get any new stress test with stability fixes so far this week, I think that the next stress test will be the content patch. Especially since they mentioned that the patch will contain numerous stability improvements.

Edited by amadieus

On ‎2018‎-‎07‎-‎04 at 11:55 AM, amadieus said:

To be honest, I think that overall there is too much fog. I don't mind it in general and it can even create some beautiful scenery, but the fog just happens too much.

You gotta admit that having a thick, rolling fog move in from the harbor of Cherno and spread into the city for an hour or so is pretty epic. This was one of my most immersive and tense play sessions in all my time on the servers.

Fog belongs on the coast...in the mornings...and up along the valley towns throughout the center of the map...it just NEEDS to! :-) It allows for a completely different style of play and can convince a lot of survivors, (who normally stay clear of the big cities due to PVP and Infected) to head into the soup and at least have an even chance of getting out alive.

Fog needs to behave, though...so lets all keep an eye on it and make sure the devs know when to iterate it reasonably...but again...it is such a useful element to add immersion, fear, cold, disorientation, and dread...all of which contribute to the atmosphere the team have envisioned as their ideal setting.

1 hour ago, philbur said:

Fog needs to behave, though

There is a default layer of fog on everything at a distance no matter where you are on the map. This was never the case before. That is what my post about fog was supposed to point out initially.

It looks similar to the way old console shooters used fog to save processing power.

The fog that actually appears in the more immediate environment is fine but I don't want my sight distance scaled down artificially.

On ‎2018‎-‎07‎-‎05 at 7:22 PM, ☣BioHaze☣ said:

The fog that actually appears in the more immediate environment is fine but I don't want my sight distance scaled down artificially.

Copy that. Localized fog is what I am keen to see. The fog out at full draw distance is hopefully something that can be set on the servers.

Dear Dev,

first of all, have a good holidays and thanks for the status report. We have to expect a new report at the end of the month or directly on August? :)

In any case, you are doing an amazing work, and this 0.63 are something very special we didn't see from many years on Dayz!

Thanks, thanks, thanks!

4 hours ago, jostino said:

Dear Dev,

first of all, have a good holidays and thanks for the status report. We have to expect a new report at the end of the month or directly on August? :)

In any case, you are doing an amazing work, and this 0.63 are something very special we didn't see from many years on Dayz!

Thanks, thanks, thanks!

Already back in the office, next report will be on July 17th. :)

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By ImpulZ
      This week, we are moving to push our first content update to the public Stress Test branch. To start today's report off, Eugen is going to talk us through the remaining issue of the week as well as last weeks challenges for the team. Our leads from animation, sound and map design share a few insights on their past work. We close everything with our beloved Community Spotlight.
      Dev Update/Eugen Dev Update/Eugen Dev Update/Viktor Dev Update/Adam Dev Update/Filip Community Spotlight  
      Dev Update/Eugen
      Dear Survivors,
      it's been quite busy around the office in the last two weeks, and there is a lot to talk about in general. I wanted to cover a couple of topics: the first content update for 0.63, and issues you have been experiencing in the past few days.

Database issues with 0.62
      The problem with the legacy 0.62 Stable branch had manifested in two different ways:
      a) an infinite spawn timer
      b) by loading a wrong character
      During the last maintenance, we switched to a temporary database to figure out a solution, making sure the issue does not repeat in the future. Since then we have identified the culprit, fixed it and will be moving back to the Stable hive during our next regular maintenance tomorrow morning. Most of you will be getting your old characters back as the data itself has not been tampered with.

Blue Screen of Death crash issues
      This issue was quite rampant - luckily, we managed to get it identified and fixed in a patch released last week. The problem was caused by an interaction of multiple external factors that we have since looked into and found a workaround that will keep us stable going forward.

New content and features for 0.63
      I'm happy to say that we no longer track any major gameplay issues with the upcoming 0.63 update there were assigned a priority of blocker/critical. There is a number of issues being tracked, and on schedule to get fixed, but most (if not almost all) of them can be described as visual glitches. 
      As of now, the patch is scheduled for a large internal playtest tomorrow and if we don't run into any more issues, we will release the update on the Stress Test branch. One thing we're quite excited about is not only the features that we're bringing back but also the huge number of bugs that have been fixed. All this together should bring a more stable and interesting DayZ experience.
      As we're seeing the comeback of the unconscious state, as well as everyone's favourites - the M4A1 and Mosin, alongside numerous scopes - we will consider using a specialized mission for testing these, probably switching back and forth from the regular survival gameplay to a more action packed combat scenario.
      I'm extremely excited to see those unconscious clutch situations getting back to DayZ, as saving people and playing a hero has always been my thing a lot more than being a bandit :)
      I don't want to spoil everything, but I do believe it's going to be tons of fun!
      See you in Chernarus! ;)

Dev Update/Peter
      The implementation of the firearms scopes back into 0.63 version is ongoing for some time now. Long range combat has always been a staple of DayZ and you can count on the fact, that it will be in the future as well. The focus is to bring back scopes for firearms currently in the game and those which are coming.

Switching between iron sights/scopes
      The new implementation introduced the ability to use iron sights along with scope view. Of course, that’s possible only when a given firearm and scope combination allows it. If you are curious, we are not planning to do slanted sights for now.

Zeroing and accuracy
      With upcoming scopes, allowing encounters over long distances, it’s time to utilize zeroing to compensate projectile ballistic trajectory. Similarly, you should be aware of the accuracy of different firearms to choose the best tool for the job. As a side note, barrel dispersion is already back in Experimental 0.63 version for quite some time, however it seems it’s not that noticeable without magnified view of scopes.
      While aiming down the scope, projectiles should be fired directly from a barrel of a gun, same as it’s while in iron sights. This will prevent the possibility of some additional angle to be added to the trajectory.
      Unfortunately, we found out that there is a divergence between actual projectile trajectory and directional vector of the barrel, which is definitely an issue on longer ranges. We are currently going through all aspects of range combat as we are trying to isolate and fix the underlying problem.

Revision of scopes
      Reimplementation of scopes is also a good opportunity for us to revisit individual scope models, as well as their configuration. Especially their camera positions, reticles, magnification levels and zeroing ranges.
      For some of them, it’s needed anyways, for example the PSO 1 can be used along iron sights, and it’s being turned into a 3D scope now, instead of just a 2D texture. This change alone requires a removal of the eyepiece to avoid the first person camera clipping, and will allow for a in-scope view as large as possible.
      We don’t have a picture in picture rendering, so we're looking into adding some post-processes such as depth of field, sphere distortion and colour tints to make scopes more visually pleasing. I believe that scopes will now be be easier and more fun to use.
      Zoom in... see you in Chernarus folks!
      - Peter Nespesny / Lead Designer

Dev Update/Viktor
      The animation team has been quite busy over the past two weeks, creating some completely new animation and improving existing ones. Let me go over a few of those.

New usage animations for items like a shovel, pickaxe, or hoe
      These should provide more variety in animations and a better representation of each item in general.

Improved holding of items emitting light
      We have added a new animation instance and a new set of animations (walking, running, holding) for flashlight, torch, and a flare. Players are now able to have the light in better positions.

Animations related to vehicles
      We are testing and finding the best way of adding animations for changing gears, starting the engine, and other related actions.

Improvements to existing animations and systems
      We created new animations for when the player gets hit and added more unconscious variations for different items and stances. Additionally, we polished attacking animations and fixed bugs related to firearms animations. We've also made a bunch of new holding poses for various items, so your character can now hold items in a visually more pleasing way.
      - Viktor Kostík / Lead Animator

Dev Update/Adam Franců
      This time around I won't be sharing anything brand new, as I have spent most of past few weeks squashing bugs all over the Chernarus terrain. While the 0.62 update has definitely brought Chernarus up to whole a new level, the vegetation swap also introduced a lot of issues with the object placement.
      This trend continued with the update 0.63, which introduced a revamp for rocks, stones and bushes as well as a number of model updates to the environment assets (be it a complete replacement or just smaller changes to the doors and ladders). It has been a long time since a proper bug fixing passed and as the updating of 0.63 is progressing, Chernarus should definitely receive some bug fixing love from us.
      Over the past weeks, I have squashed literally thousands of issues (major issues like getting stuck somewhere, problems with swimming, ladders, but also minor ones such as frequent object clipping). I am certainly not done yet and plan to continue this bug bash in the upcoming weeks before returning to the general map updates (for example we have got buildings like the city police station to add to the major towns).
      There is one more thing that I would like to mention, as it is kind of tied with the topic bug fixing. Everyone knows (and loves ) the all-Cyrillic directional and settlements signs (did anyone say KAMYWOBO?). For a very long time, a number of settlements, railway stations and road intersections in the new (non-Arma 2) parts of Chernarus were completely missing these features. As a part of this bug fixing pass, we have re-added them along with fixing many issues with the existing signs. These changes along with the already mentioned bug fixing pass (or at least a part of it) will be available in the Content Patch #1.
      I hope that you all have a great time exploring Chernarus, see you there!
      -  Adam Franců / Map Designer

Dev Update/Filip Čenžák
      The last couple of weeks brought a number of updates from the audio department - we don't have any samples for you, but most of the things should make their way into the game soon enough. Let's go over a couple of examples:
      female character voice support has been added some new character sounds have been added hacking down trees cutting bark off of a tree digging mining for stones cooking (boiling, baking, drying) thunderstorm sounds were improved to capture the atmosphere of DayZ just right For the upcoming new features and content for the Experimental branch, we've mostly contributed in terms of weapon sounds:
      a sonic crack of bullets has been improved impact sounds of bullets have been improved Mosin and M4 sounds have seen some updates we have a brand new set of reloading sounds for each weapon we've managed to fix a bug with weapon reload sounds while on the move - Filip Čenžák / Sound Designer

Community Spotlight
      Hello guys,
      At first, I have a news for you. Our name on social channels has been changed. We were known as DayZDevTeam on our Twitter and Facebook for a long time, but now we are just DayZ. So no more weird tweets like "I am playing @DayZDevTeam right now, come and join me!", I am so proud of Martin,  who managed to change it, it is not that easy. Don't forget to tag @dayz next time!
      Let's check the community content.
      Do you have a Samsung Gear S3 watch? Flip-Gaming.de has an inspiration for you. He made the most perfect Watch face ever and of course it is in DayZ style.

Some of you went to real Chernarus and sent us nice pictures from your trip. Like NiloxCSHO from Reddit, who didn't need a map to travel around this area. He knows Chernarus very well. Check out the gallery here.

I want to show you a talented player, who can make really nice screenshots. His nickname is Sp1kerZ and you can follow his work on Twitter. Keep it up, man.

Streamer Reece McDowall shared a screenshot with us. It is about resolving struggle between players. The king is dead, long live the king!

Love is everywhere, even in Chernarus. WineDaddy captured a picture of two lovers who don't care about the apocalypse. I have no idea how you made it, WineDaddy, but you did it right.

And the last thing from your content is a story made by M1NDR. He infiltrated a group of cannibals and tried to destroy them from the inside…
      And we want to congratulate M1NDR because he hit 100 000 subscribers on his YouTube channel today! You are amazing, man and we <3 you.
      You've sent me so many answers to the last riddle, I was really surprised! But only a few were correct. Here is a wall of fame!
      Puddin_TheKrow D. E. Parry Rustycaddy CanisDirus Go Up Setup Jacob_Mango
      And here is a next one. Can you guess where is this location? It is not so hard this time! Tweet your answer to our official Twitter channel with a #DayZriddleTime hashtag. Don't forget, our Twitter is changed to @DayZ now. 

Thank you for reading today's Status Report till here and see you in two weeks.

Header image by CMDR_sunny.
    • By Baty Alquawen
      Hello everyone!
      We have a new Experimental update here. Servers will be down for 30-60 minutes. What is new:
      further crash fixes fixes for issues with incorrect save and load of character fixes for memory leaks fixes for DB lockouts further fixes for stability and kicking issues  
      No character wipe this time.
      Thank you for playing on Experimental servers!
    • By Baty Alquawen

Following the 0.63 Experimental release last week we are back with our Status Report. Today, Eugen gives us an update on the state of development, while Viktor and Adam from the animation team show us what they've been up to for the past couple of weeks. Our Map Designer Adam demonstrates changes to the weather system and we get some insights into the audio progress by our Sound Designer Filip. And of course we close with our community highlights, let's dive into it!
      Dev Update/Eugen Dev Update/Viktor Dev Update/Adam Oresten Dev Update/Adam Franců Dev Update/Filip Community Spotlight
        Dev Update/Eugen
      Dear Survivors,
      the Experimental release is behind us, but the work does not stop here. So I would like to look at the issues present, troubling the community playing this version and also talk about the internal development that has happened and features you'll be seeing very soon on the Stress Test and Experimental branch. We kept both of the branches active to make sure we don't break Experimental too often and have features coming into it with more polish. While 0.63 is heavy on new technology, we know it's quite light on content. But you will be able to enjoy a lot of the new stuff in the upcoming weeks.
      The issues that take longest to iron out are related to the stability of client and server, and problems that would end up interrupting your play sessions for various reasons. From locked characters, to server kicks or just unexpected crashes to desktop. Things are getting better, but there is more to be done in this regard and we continue to monitor the situation and apply fixes to make sure we eliminate this as soon as possible. We know its not there yet and its our top priority.
      We should also talk about our plan to make the Experimental servers available to server owners currently running their communities. Sadly this had to be slightly postponed due to changes necessary for GDPR and memory leaks wreaking havoc on stability and performance. These seem to be fixed as of today, so very soon you will be able to switch over and enjoy the updated version with your fellow community members on your own terms.
      In terms of development, we are currently moving along quite nicely with only small delays in features planned out internally. The benefits of the new technology are already showing themselves in the pace of implementation. We are also looking into possible solutions to issues that currently cause these delays and make sure we deliver. Let's go over the current state of development and features themselves.
      We can consider finished for Experimental phase:
      Hidden stash CPR Gestures Repairing UI Main Menu Soft Skills Environmental Exposure Goat - Animal Last week we have moved/continue to the review/bug fixing of:
      Character Unconsciousness Chambering Loop Fireplace Jump UI Server Browser Cooking Weapon/Item Swap Action/Animation Compass Gathering Ambient Loot Gathering Actions Vehicles - Open/Close doors Vehicles - Attach/Detach vehicle parts Injured Animations This week is dedicated to the internal implementation of:
      Climbing Weapon dispersion Weapon zeroing Weapons - Double Barrel Diseases Scopes Enfusion Hierarchy New Input System Action Animations Collisions during melee
      So you might be asking yourself when these things hit Stress Test and Experimental branches. We plan to switch over a bunch of these very soon, and you can expect to have these available in batches over the coming weeks. However, we want to aim for at least unconscious state to be finished in different edge cases. As of now, there are still small issues with ladder/water unconscious state interactions that are not ready for the Stress Test, but this week we should see them fixed and as such moved to the Stress Test branch alongside many other new features and content.

Dev Update/Viktor
      Hello everyone, today I would like to share with you in this short update what the animation team has been working on for the past weeks and what is going on at the moment. Obviously, the player character is important to us, so we continue improving its behaviour and what it can do.
      At the moment, we are revisiting some of the animations and improving them, or replacing them with better ones. This includes melee combat and its attacks. There have been some animation changes to better represent which item is the player attacking with, like a new sprint-attack with the baseball bat. Also, a lot of work has been put into finger poses so that the character is holding various items the best way it can. Some of the recent animation additions include the new IZH43 animation set, and some gestures like nodding head, shrug, and "OK".
      One of the more significant improvements to player locomotion is the ability to jump over obstacles. The feature is still work-in-progress, as well as the animations, but the character is now able to overcome small objects that are in his way by jumping over them. We are now in the process of adding all the animation variations for different directions and items in hands. At the same time, our programmer is working on the climbing for players and soon, we will start implementing animations for it.
      As we also started tidying up some animations and features, there is an ongoing work on player actions. This includes polishing of existing animations, some graph tweaks, but also some new animations to better visualize what the character is doing. Our Technical Animator Adam will share more details on what was happening over the past weeks regarding various animation improvements related to these actions.
      Make sure to check out the gifs for the baseball bat attack and cutting down bushes.
      Cheers!

- Viktor Kostík / Lead Animator

Dev Update/Adam Oresten
      For the past couple of weeks, I have been hard at work revamping, tweaking, and creating animations for many various actions. User actions are the backbone of the game, and as such, they require thought out implementation; what items can they be done with? What stances are they realistic in? Should the character be able to move during the action? All of these play a huge role in their realization, concept, and execution.
      I’ve implemented animations for on back actions (mainly important ones; drinking, eating, etc), tweaked some action animations to be faster or slower and cutting out unnecessary parts, depending on which type of action. I’ve also created and implemented animations for placing heavy items (barrels, generators, etc) and smaller items (bear traps, mines, etc), and I’ve also revamped the horticulture action animations, such as cutting down a tree with a two-handed axe, or one-handed hatchet, cutting down bushes, and getting bark from trees with knives or machetes. As a part of these actions, I also implemented some smaller QoL (quality of life) representative action animations for viewing compass and viewing the map to properly convey what the player is currently doing.
      We’re in “full steam ahead” mode with the actions and their corresponding animations, and every week we’re working on new actions and polishing the animations for the ones we already have!
      - Adam Oresten / Technical Animator

Dev Update/Adam Franců
      In our Status Report from 22 November 2016, we shared our plans to upgrade SimulWeather/TrueSky - a 3rd party library used to render volumetric clouds in DayZ. Unfortunately, due to technical difficulties, we had to ultimately cancel this plan and rather focus our attention on the current implementation that is present in DayZ since the beginning of Early Access. This has not only allowed us to make necessary performance adjustments but also to take a closer look at the visuals of clouds and what could be improved within the limits of the current implementation. Here is a short summary of what has been changed:
      Regarding performance improvements we have reached a point, where we have decided to remove the ability to disable volumetric clouds on the client side - this change will take an effect once revamp of graphical options is finalized. There have been major changes in the cloud configuration, which are mainly aimed to make the clouds more visible and distinct from the skybox background. We improved the interaction of fog (in distance and height) and volumetric clouds, so that clouds should blend better with the horizon when it is foggy.
      The silver lining effect of clouds has been greatly boosted during the early to late sunrises and sunsets. The movement speed of clouds during windy conditions has been reduced and we've brought additional improvements to the skybox background textures (overcast-dependent) along with some minor tweaks to the global lighting config to support the changes in the skybox and volumetric clouds.

In addition to the changes of clouds, we have also taken a look again at the visuals of rain. These new changes include:
      Closeup raindrops are much more visible now. Re-added effect that tries to visualize light refraction on raindrops. Fogginess parameter has been tweaked so the rain blends better with the background. Closeup rain drops are more visible during the night-time around light sources. Rain speed has been increased.  

Both clouds and rain changes should be available to test once the next major Stress Test branch update happens. We are looking forward to your feedback on these improvements!
      -  Adam Franců / Map Designer

Dev Update/Filip Čenžák
      Hi all,
      The latest sound feature we started to work on are voice sounds for the character. So far we've implemented breathing when the character runs out of stamina, the sounds for holding breath while aiming in iron sight mode. and hit reactions when the character takes damage. We plan to add more sounds to create a more immersive character representation. Some of the sounds will be connected to animations, like grunts while jumping, or picking up heavy items, or sounds to emphasize melee combat. Others should be connected to character states, like the feeling of hunger or representation of disease.
      So far, all sounds are placeholders and in some cases, only male sounds are played.
      - Filip Čenžák / Sound Designer

Community Spotlight
      Hello everyone, the last two weeks were both really exciting and busy for us.
      The release of Experimental was a big milestone all of us have been looking forward to for a long time. Even though we are aware of some issues on Experimental, we are happy, that you finally can play 0.63 almost whenever you want. If you haven't done it already, check our Highlight page featuring all the good stuff from this update! 

Another big event was our Community Live Stream. We knew that just a day after the release of 0.63 Experimental, there were going to be a lot of questions. Unfortunately, after announcing the stream, our beloved Eugen got sick and it was clear, that he wouldn’t be able to attend the stream. We still wanted to hold on to our promise and decided to take it as an opportunity to do our first Community Live Stream. We introduced new members of our Community team, opened Boydy's package (thanks again!) and tried to answer as many questions as possible even without the devs.
      As I said before, we had a Community Live Stream. I just want to explain what it means. In future, we want to stream in two formats – a developer and a community stream. On developer streams, you can expect information directly from devs and detailed answers for your questions. The second format is more community-related. Our community team wants to talk with the community about events, content from creators and all the stuff from you because you are really important to us. We tried the first community stream and we had a lot of technical difficulties (as always, it is not fun without it, is it?). Here is the VOD from the stream:

You asked who made the music on the stream. It is a member of our community from the Netherlands called L_K_P1 who makes  DayZ inspired music and we love it in the dev team! The song from the stream is named DayZ meme and here it is if you are interested:

Do you need a new wallpaper? I have a cool one for you made by ChernoMerlo from the DrDesync’s screenshot.

And here is another one. I have it on my desktop already!

Shane O’Sullivan sent me a really interesting piece of a newspaper. It is named Bohemian Post and he made it by himself. There you can find news about the infection spreading across Chernarus.

Now I want to show you a special project by DayZUnderground called #TwitterPlay. It is an interactive DayZ story within Twitter and it is updated daily. People are making a story through their votes in polls and they can decide what happened with a survivor, about whom the story is. It is a really nice idea and we love it! Join the story and make your own part! You can find the latest part HERE.

Cage, who we met personally at Pax East, sent us his custom advertisement inspired by our Nota Cola and Pipsi drinks and they are pretty creative.

And the last two pieces of content are videos. The first one is a cinematic trailer about surviving in Chernarus and it is sick. Everyone from the dev team loves it, this is amazing work by HookOak Productions!

The last short clip is made by our loyal member NeuroticEUROtic and he is sharing his feelings when Experimental was near.

Time for a riddle. The riddle from the latest Status Report wasn't so hard, the rock is situated on the North-West of Svetlojarsk above the train yard. Who guessed it right?
      Megamente Polski Tytan Beehive1982 Kerbo  
      This time we prepared this picture with Adam:

If you know where is it, tweet it to our official Twitter account with #DayZriddleTime and you can be on the wall of fame next time. Thank you guys for your content and I hope you will share your creation with us next time!

Header image by WaffelsBR.