Hicks_206 (DayZ)

Exp Update 0.61.135961

2 hours ago, Noctoras said:

So I take it you wanted to vent.

No, I wanted to show you how much of a knee jerk appraisal you made and to refute a flimsy grumpy point of view made by a person with a mostly unfounded negative post history.

And thanks for telling me you're not a native English speaker and that you're in Europe for like the 5th time....

2 hours ago, Arthur Dubrovka said:

I don't know if it is good to hide playercount, because if I want to play in a team I want to now if the high population server has enough slots for our all of us. For solo play no problem but for teams it's just impractical.

Consider this alternative, now that your squad cannot know exactly how close to full a server is you may be more likely to seek out medium servers or low pop ones therefore seeding more players across servers. Of course i think the most rational fix to this would be to show the max population available so that players know the density of encounters they are likely to have. Dayz has to buck some trends we gamers might be used to, change can lead to some great things and first impressions sometimes can be off-putting. We should give it a chance to actually see how it is in practice and see if it lives up to the theory.

• Like 2

...mmmh ok so let's try. But I don't see any advantage in this feature. Why we shouldn't know how many players are on a server? 

2 hours ago, Kohlbar said:

everyone will be a similar position in the queue, and the wait should be minimal.

I agree, that's exactly what we needed because logging in in the middle of a fight and getting rekt because your friend(s) couldn't join the server was annoying :(

1 hour ago, Arthur Dubrovka said:

...mmmh ok so let's try. But I don't see any advantage in this feature. Why we shouldn't know how many players are on a server? 

I cant speak for the dev team but i imagine it is to limit the amount someone can prepair for what they are walking into and thus improve immersion.  This should also make server hopping in high end loot areas more dangerous.  at the moment you are able to run to nwaf or myshkino tents and then jump through 10 empty servers and be looted with prime gear with little to no effort.  this takes away the ability to know which servers are empty.  personally i like the idea.  i do see the argument being made that you should be able to play as u wish and if u wanna hop so be it.  in that instance i would say i understand how you feel but as the people you are shooting at may not be playing that way i do not agree.  

Wish i hadnt missed the test but was at work.  very excited to see dynamic spawning.  did anyone confirm if they spawn in buildings or not?  i think it would be amazing to run by opening a door to escape a zed and run in closing the door behind you only to find another one inside.

• Like 3

I honestly don't think that we should be able to know how many people are on a server because it takes away from the immersion even though people will find a way around it but it also prevents server hoppers from knowing whether they will be in any danger going to areas with high-end loot thus forcing them to risk getting shot for a chance to get well geared so they can run around being dicks and killing people (I know not everyone does this but still..) just because they have better gear than the person they're trying to kill. As for the amount of server slots, it doesn't matter to me either way since we have a login queue now and as long as I get to eventually play, I'll be happy. I hope everyone is having a great weekend or day if you're not from the states. 

Greetings all.  Long time lurker and finally decided to join up as I've been waiting patiently for this patch to come out.  Any word on server status? I didn't see anything recently posted. Thanks

24 minutes ago, Guy Smiley said:

Greetings all.  Long time lurker and finally decided to join up as I've been waiting patiently for this patch to come out.  Any word on server status? I didn't see anything recently posted. Thanks

We won't know until it is posted here, but this is the place to follow if you want to keep up to speed on their plans.
For the devs sake I hope they are on their 5th beer just about now :)

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Guy Smiley said:

I'm not aware of any word on progress since yesterday's brief release of .61 to collect some quick data.  The servers kept crashing but they must've got the data they were looking for because the servers disappeared about as fast as they came up.  We're all hopeful that it's close, if you've been lurking for a long time then you know there's nothing to do but wait it out.  The forecast is hopeful, dark and stormy over the weekend but a small chance of sunshine next week.  Welcome to the forums.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, GaryWalnuts said:

I'm not aware of any word on progress since yesterday's brief release of .61 to collect some quick data.  The servers kept crashing but they must've got the data they were looking for because the servers disappeared about as fast as they came up.  We're all hopeful that it's close, if you've been lurking for a long time then you know there's nothing to do but wait it out.  The forecast is hopeful, dark and stormy over the weekend but a small chance of sunshine next week.  Welcome to the forums.

Heh, ya I know.  Kind of got my hopes up a bit as I haven't really touched DayZ in quite a while as I've been waiting for the update.  Not to worry, I've got a few other early access games I'm checking out right now as I patiently wait for this awesome game to mold itself together.

Hi everyone! So sad i missed the test, but i see people are talking about that server population not showing now. Its not so important imho as for me i am always had a hard time finding a public hive fast-timed 1pp only server. There allaround like "daytimeonlysuperloot3ppgogojoin" servers. Tired been killed from the roof or by yelling kiddo looking over some fence or wall. So may i ask for more oficial proper 1pp hardcore full day\night servers with .61

• Like 6

^^ What he said.  Now that the game is coming together a bit more, perhaps it is time to see some Official 1PP LoveTM in the server browser.

• Like 6

11 hours ago, Arthur Dubrovka said:

It's meant to deter server hoppers from what I understand, i.e. gearning up on 1/2/3 people servers and joining a full one thereafter. Most of the 1/2/3 people servers had been join=kick-servers before, though, so I guess the effect will be limited.

12 hours ago, ☣BioHaze☣ said:

No, I wanted to show you how much of a knee jerk appraisal you made and to refute a flimsy grumpy point of view made by a person with a mostly unfounded negative post history.

And thanks for telling me you're not a native English speaker and that you're in Europe for like the 5th time....

if it makes you sleep better ...

I still have deep concerns about not being able to see player pop, particularly on private hives and I really think this needs serious consideration (of course, im sure it has had that). I can see it causing issues that just don't make it worth it on private hives. If we want to stop server hoppers on public then having a cut off where any server with less than 20 players just says "low" would do. Or having the low/med/high for public and exact numbers for private hives might work as server hopping is not a thing on a private hive? I'm gonna describe a scenario that could happen really regularly and why it feels like potentially an issue. I will say that beyond this scenario, I do think no matter what that trying something new like this, is probably worth it. But that doesn't mean airing concerns is not a worthwhile thing, and especially what it means for the enjoyment of someone that likes all the benefits of a private hive, but wants to stay in a full one...

Scenario:-

As it gets later in Europe, naturally the player base reduces a little. I want to play 1pp. for about 3/4 hours and there are no public servers with people in them and at 10pm as I log in currently I see two separate private hive options...  1pp "A" has 59/60 player pop and 1pp "B" has 41/60. I don't know if these are both counted as "high" but for the sake of this scenario i'm gonna assume high means 40 players or more for a 60 slot server. No matter what way you cut it, there are always some servers that sustain their player pop better than others and in 1pp I know in Europe most nights there are only likely to be at best two choices (a few months ago they may have been no Euro choice with a decent player count).

As it stands currently I can look at the two and work out which to join, it makes sense that I join 1pp "A" as in 2 hours time the 60 players may have dipped but it could easily still be at 50 players plus, maybe in 3 hours time I could be playing with 40 players or more still. If I join 1pp "B" as the server drops, after 2 hours of gearing up I could find myself on a server with only 25-30 players in, after 3 hours I may only have 15-25 in at best. 

With visible player numbers I can work out which server to join to maximise my interactions and enjoyment of the game whilst playing 1pp in a private hive. With the new system, I have a 50/50 chance of either joining a server that will be full and sustain a healthy player pop, or I could join the server that in a few hours time could have a much, much lower pop and have wasted 2 hours gearing up into a server with not many people in it. I can negate this issue with the current system, I cant with the new one. Similarly all other players can, as the player base reduces to a point where there are fewer players playing, they can all be in the server that is the fullest. Rather than spread around because they didn't join the right one in the first place.

This is going to lead to players who crave full servers getting around this issue in order to find the fuller server. It seems far more immersion breaking to switch to a second monitor, to check steam or another site to count the players in a server than it is to press P and see the number (no names needed), or to check at server selection. At 12am in the UK currently there isn't the player base in Europe to sustain two full 1pp servers. Similarly at say 3am until about 9am you can say the same about 3pp. The new system works great when you assume a high player base across many servers to choose from. But at lower number times in the night or during times when the game is less popular all it does is either dilute the player base across more servers so that no server is full or force people in to using other means to find "the one" sweet spot server they should be joining. As modding comes in and there is more and more player choice, effectively the player base will fragment a little, even with huge growth in the player base (which I hope and am sure will happen). A fragmented player base could mean the above scenario is played across different versions of the future game.

Private hives are far better to play the game currently, public has become the mecca for all means  ofexploiting/glitching and whilst Im sure these will get fixed, their is always a new exploit or a new script etc. Playing private massively negates these issues which mainly at the moment revolve around duping, hiding in buildings and swimming. Private isn't perfect but at least you can go to the NWAF without seeing a load of yellow boxes under each tree like left over Xmas presents. Private servers currently are sustaining most of the avid DayZ players and also supporting a truer DayZ experience for its player base. This new system affects private servers in a way that I don't necessarily see as a good thing. People will stick to the one they know and its possible this new change will breed some elite private hives that are always spammed and queued for while other up and coming servers are left struggling to attract players because people want to play full most of the time when joining a private server. The new system seems to create an environment where at low overall player traffic times an individual is forced to  either use other methods to find a full server or risk getting invested in their character for a few hours only to be stuck in a private hive with a geared character on a low pop server.

Informed decisions on which server to join in the first place when player counts are low, enables us to ensure we can have fun playing the game we love.

Paul

Edited by therunningmanz
  • Like 4

I personally would like the devs open up a toggle option for server admins to control whether or not the server population shows up in the server setup options.  At least be a little flexible as to having the option available for the admin/players.  I see both sides of it, and I see how it can be beneficial to players being able to see what the actual server count is, and using that to determine whether or not you should join that server.  On the other hand, I also see why people would not want to see the server exact population, and only being given the Low/Med/High/Full server status for the server pop.  

I just hope they open up a toggle option for server admins to control whether or not the actual population count shows up in the expanded info for the servers.   

Edited by antykain

nope they're all offline

15 hours ago, bigman100500 said:

as for me i am always had a hard time finding a public hive fast-timed 1pp only server.

Me too. All the 1pp servers that are populated are private, that really sucks. I don't wanna play on servers where there are restrictions or I know every player that plays there.

Edit:

Imo, private servers are splitting the community and public hive ends up with noobs, scriptkiddies and dupers simply because the first thing a new player does is just join a public hive. And now they end up on servers where there are barely any players at all or not many experienced players, plus 90% of the fucking 3pp public servers are "LMAO HIGH LOOT NO KOS KILL ADMIN = KICK" or something like that, which ruins their first-time DayZ experience.

I am strongly in favor of declaring some servers "vanilla" if they have no restrictions on the way you have to play and don't kick you because you killed an admin, make it a seperate hive, too. Players will report if the server doesn't follow vanilla "rules" or rather "no rules" or if the admin kicks people.

I can't even begin to think of the rage when you get killed by zombies (once they're back) just because the Admin decides to kick you, fuck that, they should be forced to play on a seperate private hive, a lot of fucking clans use their public server exlusively for duping or combat-hopping and kick everyone that joins.

I really don't care about the display of exact player counts, I can't really understand the motivation behind not displaying them, seems some people are upset, however I don't really care lol.

Edited by VVarhead

12 minutes ago, cal_ said:

nope they're all offline

ok thanks, I didn`t notice that I download anything, but I saw a new browser today. I`ve been active in BF1 recently. :)

Going back to 0.60 until they fix the server crashes and some other major issues.

Edited by ori42

Not sure about that topic.

I prefer 1pp. Of course it would be anoying to join servers where there's noone at.

But on the onther hand it seems to be more interessting not to know how populated the world is. It definetly makes you playing more carfully all the time - even if you're the last man in chernarus. That will definetly improve the DayZ-Feeling for me.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, therunningmanz said:

This is going to lead to players who crave full servers getting around this issue in order to find the fuller server. It seems far more immersion breaking to switch to a second monitor, to check steam or another site to count the players in a server than it is to press P and see the number (no names needed), or to check at server selection.

The remainder of your post touches some good points. Another veritable problem I see is that "low" pop servers could mean "don't even try" ... so far you could easily go on a 10 person server for the sake of it. With 10 people on it is none of the famous join/kick servers. With only "low" being displayed the chance of joining a "I am admin and ban you because I need to loot alone" server are very high. Basically they could replace "low" with "better don't join" ;)

As for the quoted part, I actually I liked "P" displaying the names, never really understood the benefit of removing names - okay, if you take the high/med/low concept you of course cannot display names, but I loved seeing whom I played with :)

Let the talk with the current number of players in the browser. Whoever plays on his tribal servers can check this in the Gametracker. For haphazard server hoppers, it is then more difficult. On the other hand, this is not yet final version.

@DannyDog thats a question i also have been thinking about.. [I saw afterwards, that something got wrong here, i couldnt see/find DannyDog's post xD]

I would like to add one question, kinda regarding the same thing (my English isnt the best, so bare with me):

One thing that i really dont like(but its okey, its not that i dont play the game) in a lot of games, is that the default light is to bright.. It  could be outside in a alley between two houses that blocks out sunlight or in like every house, where the rooms is to illuminated. It would be nice if the darker areas was actually dark(+ shadows). I mean, it often feels like that every sqm/sq inch has the same "light" value... (Now that i think about it, maybe that just my gamma/light setting hehe)

PS Are you gonna add so we can see dirt particles/dust in "light rays"? EX when sunlight, light up a room through a window...

Edited by zemos (DayZ)
  • Like 1

Personally I think the whole public hive system is kinda stupid.  Gonna be even stupider once basebuilding and shelters come out.

Can't wait for .61, looks like an amazing update.  However I think .62 will change the game in a truely great way

Can't wait for Zombies to be fixed up too so they perform better; awesome we're gonna be seeing more of them.   It'd be amazing

if we'd be able to see infected AI like common infected from the left 4 dead series; smooth, awesome behavior, etc.

• Like 4