Hicks_206 (DayZ)

Exp Update 0.61.135961

3 minutes ago, blackberrygoo said:

How did it feel ?

They put zombies in our zombie game!  D:

Fer real this time!

I heard a shotgun blast in the distance and I was thoroughly impressed.... it sounded so coooool!

Otherwise the play sessions were too short to see much of anything else.

Still great to finally re-join testing!

• Like 3

I didnt end up hearing a gun shot, but while the positioning of sounds seems very nice... am I the only one thinking that the mixing is way off? Breathing (also in 3rd person, no difference anymore) too loud, ambient noise (bird chirping) too quiet or just quieter than it was ( it's probably a preference thing) I could barely hear the Zombies at all though! Those were way too quiet. 

The couple of players I met apparently had shitty microphones, so I cannot say anything about that :/ , other that I needed to tune VOIP way down after almost getting a heart attack (and one asked me to kill him, I noticed about half a second delay between hitting and the hit/blood animation and sound. could be ping though)

While I didn't test it in a building, the shadow flickering of running with a flare was a little bit too much? I don't know how that would react in reality in the same conditions, but this would have warranted an epilepsy warning xD My flare also fell through the map when I threw it :/ 

Infected barely reacted to me, but that might as well just be because of the stressed servers or something.  (I had to punch one for it to notice me) 

So, I hope the dev team got enough usable data off this test. But I feel that the time I got to play between crashes (longest must have been 3 minutes?) is not enough to actually test anything to give proper feedback...

Let's hope for the real experimental release, the crashes will be fixed.

BTW, i LOVED the new server browser. way easier to search for specific things now, and it actually tells you which friend is playing on which server! Really nice detail there. And a much smoother experience than the old one. 

• Like 1

Spawned several times in Chernaya Polana and manage to pick up the same gear all the time, because of the restarts. 
Haven't had the possibility to test player to player sync, but while playing the server was very fluid and responded to all my commands.
During a small loot session i've managed to hear WOLVES somewhere in the forrest.
Hopefully we provided enough data to solve the server crashes and with some luck we'll see some more 0.61 tomorrow.

Thanks devs! 

Edited by Redseven
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Redseven said:

During a small loot session i've managed to hear WOLVES somewhere in the forrest.

Ah, thanks for the heads up!

2 hours ago, Hicks_206 (DayZ) said:

So far we've found a new server crash as a result of the test - so be aware, yes we know about it!

Like i said in prev status report topic. Great job that you allowed community to help out. There should be like critical experimental branch or something beside stable and exp version where people can just hop in with out expectations for stable game etc but where they can help You out. Also im pretty sure that things like that were people just join even for 5 min of experience becasue server are crashing are working as "+" for You because people can see that something is really happening with the game. Im not talking about servers that works 24/7 like others but when You have really problem with finding buxs etc. We are all people if You guys cant figure out something just tell about it and let us help :) We all know that such things happen thats why we are not in beta yet and we are not mad at all if u just talk to us :)

• Like 1

Did anyone happen to notice if Infected had footstep sounds? B Hicks showed some teaser footage earlier in this thread, and you can clearly hear infected footsteps. I watched a streamer play .61, but the audio was way too low for my crappy work PC speakers to be able to tell

Edited by JBURNS489

11 minutes ago, JBURNS489 said:

Did anyone happen to notice if Infected had footstep sounds? B Hicks showed some teaser footage earlier in this thread, and you can clearly hear infected footsteps. I watched a streamer play .61, but the audio was way too low for my crappy work PC speakers to be able to tell

Yes. Infected footsteps sounded exactlly like survivor footsteps for me. Got me a bit confused, i thought there was a player around me, but then i looked outside and it was a zed. Also player footstep sounds are different.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Redseven said:

Yes. Infected footsteps sounded exactlly like survivor footsteps for me.  Also player footstep sounds are different.

Thanks for confirming that! Im not entirely sure what you mean by that, but I am way too excited for infected footstep sounds either way. Probably more than I should be lol. If they sound the same or different as survivors doesn't matter too much to me, but FOOTSTEPS! 

Edited by JBURNS489

55 minutes ago, Treiskaideka said:

BTW, i LOVED the new server browser. way easier to search for specific things now, and it actually tells you which friend is playing on which server! Really nice detail there. And a much smoother experience than the old one. 

Thats one of the goals! 

In addition to minimizing metagaming of population and specific time of day. Day/Night cycle and a constant uncertainty of exactly how many threats are there is a core pillar of DayZ. We feel there is a happy medium there letting people know the concentration, so if they want to hunt a full server - they can. As well as avoiding dead of night, should they choose.

We can always iterate upon it later.

• Like 5

Is there a way to see how many slots a server has? Because from what I've seen you could only see the low/med/high thingy. What if it's a server with 30 slots? Will it say Medium or low? Or will it say high? In other words, is the low/med/high based on server slot cap or % of players occupying the slots?

• Like 2

Hi All, I am new to the forums, not new to the game, been playing since the early Dayz mod and jumped on Dayz SA when it first came out. Now with EXP 0.61 test I chime in to mention some things I have not yet seen on the forums since 0.61 test release. Thrown items disappear under the ground, it happens on dirt roads, asphalt and in fields. Items thrown are wheels, bark and sticks. I had an encounter with the infected - it seemed unaware of me until I punched it, i was able to punch it without being hit myself but was unable to knock it out, prolly hit it like 20 - 25 times. Eventually after not landing a blow it hit me several times, blood loss was minimal. Positional audio seems to work great, My character was behind a stone wall, I could hear another player moving from left to right inside a building, his foot steps became progressively louder as he moved towards my direction and faded as he was moving away from me. Ingame communication didn't work for me. Vaulting seemed more fluid as did moving in general.

Edited by BCO Games

With the new server browser, they seem to have removed the version tab, so we could order servers by version. I know there's the "proper version match" filter, but it doesn't seem to work, and the only way the experimental servers are showing up, is by letting all the servers appear, without any filters, and the sort them by name to find the experimental ones. 

I wish the old version tab was still there, as many options of the new server browser are useless, or even worst.

:(

edit: Quick question, I haven't found the "favorites" tab. Is there any way to access it?

Edited by odin_lowe

19 minutes ago, dunats said:

Is there a way to see how many slots a server has? Because from what I've seen you could only see the low/med/high thingy. What if it's a server with 30 slots? Will it say Medium or low? Or will it say high? In other words, is the low/med/high based on server slot cap or % of players occupying the slots?

Not right now, but that is something we're actively discussing. Obviously as we support different player numbers (although officials should always be max) we'll need to allow users to see that data.

• Like 4

@Hicks_206

I have 40-100 FPS in Experimantal Branch, and it feels like 20, It´s a Bug?

13 minutes ago, odin_lowe said:

edit: Quick question, I haven't found the "favorites" tab. Is there any way to access it?

There's no tab anymore. You can access your favorites from the right side, from the filters area.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Redseven said:

There's no tab anymore. You can access your favorites from the right side, from the filters area.

There is still the "lan" tab. 

edit: Nevermind. I'll get used to it.

Edited by odin_lowe

38 minutes ago, odin_lowe said:

With the new server browser, they seem to have removed the version tab, so we could order servers by version. I know there's the "proper version match" filter, but it doesn't seem to work ...

Give this another try, the next time the servers come up. I ticked the "proper version match" box and five, or six EXP servers popped up immediately.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, odin_lowe said:

There is still the "lan" tab. 

edit: Nevermind. I'll get used to it.

I just got accustomed to typing "experimental" in search.  Has always worked so far.  Hope it helps buddy!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, IReadTheAgreement said:

I just got accustomed to typing "experimental" in search.  Has always worked so far.  Hope it helps buddy!

Yep, I know. Always worked for me. Just didn't know the servers were only up for a few hours... When I got in, it was already too late.

1 hour ago, Hicks_206 (DayZ) said:

Not right now, but that is something we're actively discussing. Obviously as we support different player numbers (although officials should always be max) we'll need to allow users to see that data.

Im glad to see this. Have been somewhat concerned about the lack of info. Im a still a little worried that in the quest for "less meta" there is a danger this strays into "less interaction" for me personally. I really wanna be able to maximise my chances of playing full pop servers. I think this will potentially breed more and more elitism within servers of sorts. The pre-existing "always full 60 man" servers such as DUG EU, BWAF, UKA, GRUMPY, SOS, GENTS etc stand a far better chance of retaining their players as people are less likely to want to try something new. Not being able to see which servers were 60/50/40/30 slot etc would be a real shame and people will stick to what they know, pretty much always. This could stop new and cool server communities from growing. It could also lead to server owners spamming potentially false info in their descriptions such advertising a 60 slot server when it isnt one, if we cant see this info, we wouldnt be able to confirm it either.

What makes a server "high" if we cant see the slots? A high 30 slot server might have say, 25 people in it, I tend to try and go in servers with more people in than that always. I dont think wanting to be an a "high" 60 slot server that has the benefits of a private hive and active admins would be a bad thing. 

I kinda get the intention but Im still worried that not being able to check player pop easily and it being rather vague could hurt my enjoyment of the game. DayZ is the next level of multiplayer game to me. The sandbox freedom it offers when meeting random people from around the world is what made me keep coming back, and its what makes it entertaining for me every day now. I'm worried that as it becomes cloudier to check server pop, my interactions will reduce as I cant maximise my chances of meeting players. I play late into the night and if the private server im on starts getting low because its late, I will swap to even a new spawn if I have to, in order to stay in a full server on another hive. As things are going I could be running around for hours on end almost playing DayZ in single player without knowing it. It feels like essential information to me, that when I am in a server, I can be sure there is decent number of players on that server.

Edited by therunningmanz
  • Like 1

Maybe just delete these useless cheap 30/40 slot servers that are home for dupers bases?

So how did the dynamic spawn worked? were zombies spawning in all towns and cities?

My edited highlights of the experimental .61 session (27/08/16)

I lit a couple of flares and ran through an apple tree patch. It was prettier, the lighting was great and I thought the new server browser and in game menus were nice too. Overall a good experience for the short time I had. (about 15 mins)

• Like 1

Hey @Hicks_206 the dynamic shadows are bloody amazing. History has been made here for dayz and arma.

Quick question though, will the shadows be lit by the surrounding light like off of walls and stuff? Ive seen vids where the shadow area is just pitch black when the rest of the room is bright as day. Will this be something you guys can do? Not atm but in the future?

Edited by DannyDog