Hicks_206 (DayZ)

Exp Update 0.61.135961

How many servers will be online for 0.61 experimental? I have suggestion: maybe you could lock one server for popular streamers and you and new PR girl can show new stuff. Most of players won't be able to get in servers due to rush. 

• Like 1

Keep in mind there's now a queue so it's gonna be easier to join, even if it takes time you will be able to join

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, cal_ said:

Keep in mind there's now a queue so it's gonna be easier to join, even if it takes time you will be able to join

That only depends on the rate of people leaving the server.

Still would be nice to know how many servers :P

Yeah I agree but what I meant that in .60 that was just about luck when spamming, so if you weren't lucky this time you just couldn't play. In .61 you will just have to wait, like go out or anything while the queue is emptying

But yeah I'd love them to give us many servers, still don't wanna wait 3 hours to play :p

26 minutes ago, igor-vk said:

How many servers will be online for 0.61 experimental? I have suggestion: maybe you could lock one server for popular streamers and you and new PR girl can show new stuff. Most of players won't be able to get in servers due to rush. 

I personally don't see this as a big issue. Last exp was fine with no streamer server when there was enough servers. This time around the queuing system should really help with this as well. Whilst 0.61 looks amazing I don't think it will drive the same player numbers to exp as 0.60 because the renderer was the game changer that everyone wanted to try.

Whilst the idea of a server for showcasing the game sounds great. When you put it into practice it just causes so much butt hurtedness amongst some people that it really isn't worth it (IMO). Id rather queue like everyone else than enter a streamer server only for half of the people watching to be giving me grief about it. Even if the server numbers are low, id still rather queue I think unless the server was communicated in a more open way.

• Like 3

For me the new audio engine is as gamechanging as enfusion renderer, maybe even more

• Like 2

Everyone has their different priorities. But its easy to forget how big of a deal fps was for so many people prior to 0.60. The game goes through peaks and troughs of popularity and many people choose to take a break from DayZ when a new game comes out or when something with the current state of the game kinda makes them take a rest. There is no doubt the sound engine is going to add a lot to the game but aside from bugs etc, fps was the biggest gripe people had with DayZ since SA came out IMO. As a result way more people that had decided to take a break until fps was improved. 0.60 gave people the carrot to come back and try SA again. Im not sure as many people that are on a break from the game are doing so because of the quality of the in game audio.

Im not saying 0.61 isnt going to be amazing for me, it is! Just kinda being realistic on the numbers this experimental is likely to see compared to the last one.

Edit: Personally I think 0.60 may have been the biggest spike we will see this side of beta, just my opinion mind you. All the other additions coming down the line are going to massively improve the gameplay, the sum of them added together will make DayZ a much better game to play. However I don't see a patch that will have as a big a carrot on the horizon as the renderer did when it was coming. Especially given how long the DayZ fan base had been waiting and anticipating it. I'd be very happy to be proved wrong on this prediction though! ;)

Edited by therunningmanz
  • Like 1

I think you're right, .60 experimental brought (one of) the biggest spike we're gonna see in alpha/beta and a lot of people who weren't playing dayz because of fps came back to test, altough I think that  a lot of them have just tested .60, played it a little and stopped playing it or until now played it very casualy. I think that if you really like dayz you can play it even with bad fps.

.61 will be really gamechanging for us, active dayz players, not for people just looking how the game is at each update who will just say "Woah, that sounds great" when they test it and not become a dayz active player.

PS : .60 has been gamechanging for a lot of people, but keep in mind that people with a really old pc are now just unable to play dayz

52 minutes ago, therunningmanz said:

Id rather queue like everyone else than enter a streamer server only for half of the people watching to be giving me grief about it.

If it is anounced I dont think there will be grief. Other studios do showcase streams.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, cal_ said:

For me the new audio engine is as gamechanging as enfusion renderer, maybe even more

Those of us who have been around for a while can attest to the jarring effects of inappropriate and phantom sounds. There was an effort not so long ago to add ambient noises, such as buzzing insects. Personally, I thought that the resulting immersion effects were out of all proportion to their subtle nature, because the map did seem to come alive as a living, breathing world. Unfortunately, that effort did not go very far, due to limitations of the then, contemporary sound tech. At the time, there was quite a lot of discussion about the types of ambient noise that could/should be included and I sincerely hope that, now that the new audio tech is in place, this project can be revisited. I'm not complaining about the birds, but they sim[ply are not sufficient to bring the world alive.

• Like 2

For me setting up a streamer only server is an awesome thing, I really do not understand what people against that are thinking.

I mean, what would you rather, not being able to play and not seeing what the new update looks like or not being able to play but at least being able to watch it live ?

Edited by cal_
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, BleedoutBill said:

Those of us who have been around for a while can attest to the jarring effects of inappropriate and phantom sounds. There was an effort not so long ago to add ambient noises, such as buzzing insects. Personally, I thought that the resulting immersion effects were out of all proportion to their subtle nature, because the map did seem to come alive as a living, breathing world. Unfortunately, that effort did not go very far, due to limitations of the then, contemporary sound tech. At the time, there was quite a lot of discussion about the types of ambient noise that could/should be included and I sincerely hope that, now that the new audio tech is in place, this project can be revisited. I'm not complaining about the birds, but they sim[ply are not sufficient to bring the world alive.

Yeah I think they should add new ambiance sounds, the first time I played dayz I found the sounds awesome but now I just don't notice them :(

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, igor-vk said:

If it is anounced I dont think there will be grief. Other studios do showcase streams.

There was abject hate being thrown around last time, so to say "I don't think there will be grief is naive." I don't disagree with the idea, however it needs to be done differently as I'm sure it would be if it was repeated. As I say though, I very much doubt it will be needed this time around anyway.

• Like 2

Do you all remember the can opening and ammo sorting sounds that played globally?

I do....

I hated that.

I am very much looking forward to an all new ambient soundscape.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, ☣BioHaze☣ said:

Do you all remember the can opening and ammo sorting sounds that played globally?

I do....

I hated that.

I am very much looking forward to an all new ambient soundscape.

It was horrible and jarring, but it did ratchet up the paranoia, because you never knew how far away the other folks were.

• Like 2

In .59 there weren't even splitting sounds, so idk whats the worse

3 minutes ago, cal_ said:

In .59 there weren't even splitting sounds, so idk whats the worse

Back before there were vehicles racing back and forth, there used to be nothing but birds and footsteps. Apart from being startled by a soda can randomly being opened, the world was virtually silent and it felt dead and sterile.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, igor-vk said:

we have a server queue for that. waiting will allow us to join. No more macros or half an hour hitting the enter button.

I for my part don't want to see this "popular streamer" stuff again (I am wary of them influencing the game generally, so there might be some bias here, granted). I prefer a player to be treated as a player, no matter if he streams on youtube or not.

Edited by Noctoras
  • Like 1

I think one needs to be mindful of the purpose of the Exp builds. They are not there to "play." Their purpose is to allow testers to experiment with and try to break the build. Afterwards, if any flaws are identified, the testers need to submit their detailed, written findings, so that the devs can recreate the problem and act on the information.

Whenever a new Exp build is deployed, it attracts not only the testers among us, but also, understandably, a large number of sightseers who have no intention of performing any testing, or bug reporting. They merely wish to drive the latest vehicle, or fire the latest rifle. If one steps back and looks at the big picture, this does not further the pace of development of the game and it makes it difficult for dedicated testers to get a slot on a server.

If the devs can set a server aside for the more popular streamers, this allows the curious to get a vicarious look at the new build and its various features, without overwhelming the necessarily limited number of Exp servers with a bunch of curiosity seekers.

Some of you will not want to hear this, nor will you choose to understand it, but if you want to KOS and eat me, you'll have to find me, first.  ;  )

• Like 3

They could even select testers and set up a server for testers only. Cause a popular streamer who never plays dayz can enter the streamer server won't help 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, cal_ said:

They could even select testers and set up a server for testers only. Cause a popular streamer who never plays dayz can enter the streamer server won't help 

A server for dedicated testers would make sense. I think people like Tatanko (where is he? haven't seen him for quite a while) are probably best for that job. I'd prefer that oover a streamer server any day :)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cal_ said:

Don't undervalue the contribution of the streamers. Since they record virtually everything that they do, they have a comprehensive video record of all of the issues/problems/bugs that they encounter. This type of documentation is invaluable to the devs.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BleedoutBill said:

Don't undervalue the contribution of the streamers. Since they record virtually everything that they do, they have a comprehensive video record of all of the issues/problems/bugs that they encounter. This type of documentation is invaluable to the devs.

Depends. WoBo yes, mostly PvP streamers less so.

Edit: That said, isn't it part of the DayZ fun to find out some stuff and some surprises yourself as well? :)

Edited by Noctoras
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Noctoras said:

Depends. WoBo yes, mostly PvP streamers less so.

Agreed ..

1 hour ago, therunningmanz said:

There was abject hate being thrown around last time, so to say "I don't think there will be grief is naive." I don't disagree with the idea, however it needs to be done differently as I'm sure it would be if it was repeated. As I say though, I very much doubt it will be needed this time around anyway.

Not saying you're wrong, but some streamers were literally pretending to spam to get in when all they had to do was click once.  A lot of the butt-hurt was people not appreciating being taken for fools.  But yes, many people are going to be butt-hurt no matter what.  Personally I don't see a streamer-only server as any different from any other private, password-protected server.

• Like 2