Hicks_206 (DayZ)

Exp Update 0.61.136700

10 minutes ago, wasnu said:

yeah, its unbelievable how fast the first peps rush the mil bases....after them the rest of the crowd picks up the rest of the stuff and after 30 minutes the whole east side of the server is picked clean.

yesterday i sit in the trees of karmenka mil compount and counted players, it was incredible how many server hoppers logged in..run to the 5 tents and logged out

Yeah it is a little frustrating... I noticed the same thing, watch some guys log in at mil tents, run through and then run out and log. Makes me feel like I would need to do the same just to try out the mil gear. Most of the testing I am just off the coast farming, killing zombies, trying out functions. Then some ass that geared up from server hoping comes down to the coast and shoots me for the hell of it... Hope to see the loot spread out a little more. Maybe find some AR-15's in some cabins or houses, in cites and towns around the map. That way you can have a chance when they come in shooting first :-) I mean, if there was a zombie apocalypse in the US, many rural areas would be pretty stacked with at-15 rifles, ammo and hunting rifles. :-) As well as tactical vest and clothing!

• Like 1

Once this goes stable I will be getting a public server to run for awhile, see how it goes and maybe pick up some contributors! It will be a US Southwest server if anyone is interested in playing on it! It will be awesome to play this build with persistence, having a base out in the woods would be really awesome!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ShallowTech said:

Yeah it is a little frustrating... I noticed the same thing, watch some guys log in at mil tents, run through and then run out and log. Makes me feel like I would need to do the same just to try out the mil gear. Most of the testing I am just off the coast farming, killing zombies, trying out functions. Then some ass that geared up from server hoping comes down to the coast and shoots me for the hell of it... Hope to see the loot spread out a little more. Maybe find some AR-15's in some cabins or houses, in cites and towns around the map. That way you can have a chance when they come in shooting first :-) I mean, if there was a zombie apocalypse in the US, many rural areas would be pretty stacked with at-15 rifles, ammo and hunting rifles. :-) As well as tactical vest and clothing!

That's why you gotta play Private servers once .61 hits stable. As guilty as I once was for server hopping, I only play Private now and that problem is 100% remedied by doing so. A lot less sketchy sh!t happens on Private than does a Public server. If you've never tried Private I highly recommend starting a character. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Hicks_206 (DayZ) said:

ANOTHER ONE? ANOTHER ONE! Lets see what we're looking at for this one:

- Adjustment of Arrow/Bolt damage output
- Fix for one method of stuck handslot
- Additional fix for desync'd view of other players equipment
- Adjustment to Infected FOV and Alert (Ongoing - not where we'd like it yet)
- Adjusted player spawns
- Added Coyote pack to loot spawns

We'll have some of the servers with persistence off for some back end testing we're doing, and we'll be messing with AI population for the purposes of profiling. Other than that, not too much different with this build.

As always, when a build is on Exp/Unstable it is there for testing - so the aim is to find out if these changes were effective. Please file tickets on any issues you find at feedback.dayz.com.
Expect character wipes for every exp update moving forward folks!

We're still working on improving server performance, which when poor can cause the following issues:

- Infected reaction speed may be reduced
- Character modifiers/status can become stuck or not update properly
- Infected can push characters through/into model geometry causing movement issues (unable to move in a given direction)
- Collision/Navigation in some complex structures can push your character around
- Issues with door states can occur
- Damage being delayed

Other issues include but are not limited to:

- Infected vocal sounds being too quiet
- Infected alert state is very reduced - Aggro range / etc reduced
- Infected response to firearm types is uniform (aka suppressed weapons do not have the proper impact on them)
- Infected can push characters through/into model geometry
- VOIP volume too loud

I wish you can increase the range on the bow/xbow instead so it doesn`t feel like useless as it is right now due to limited range on a huge scale map, @Hicks_206 (DayZ) Maybe not realistic, but for the fun of it. English Longbows in the Middle Ages had better range compare to dayz SA version bow. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, ori42 said:

I wish you can increase the range on the bow/xbow instead so it doesn`t feel like useless as it is right now due to limited range on a huge scale map, @Hicks_206 (DayZ) Maybe not realistic, but for the fun of it. English Longbows in the Middle Ages had better range compare to dayz SA version bow. 

The range was already SIGNIFICANTLY increased. They did that in 0.57. It doesn't need to be pushed into firearm territory. 

That little improvised stick bow currently shoots as fast as something like this:

DSCF1411.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ori42 said:

...as well they should. English Longbows were finely crafted weapons of war. Bows in DayZ are cobbled together from a random stick and some string. An improvised bow shouldn't be able to compete with firearms. Crossbows are a slightly different story, of course, since they're made from modern materials.

@Hicks_206 (DayZ)

I'm curious as to why there's a character wipe with every patch. I'm fine with it, it's experimental so whatever, I'm just wondering why every patch comes with a character wipe when, as far as I recall, that hasn't always been the case. Sorry if that's been asked before, I don't always keep up with with the experimental threads.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wasnu said:

yeah, its unbelievable how fast the first peps rush the mil bases....after them the rest of the crowd picks up the rest of the stuff and after 30 minutes the whole east side of the server is picked clean.

yesterday i sit in the trees of karmenka mil compount and counted players, it was incredible how many server hoppers logged in..run to the 5 tents and logged out

Since the cle was introduced loot levels seem to take some time to stabilise, for the first few hours you can pick an area almost clean.

If you "cherry pick" an area you can end up with mostly "useless" stuff and not many guns and bullets, not sure if that's intentional because you can always just go one or two towns over just like they said when the devs were describing the CLE before we got it. If hoppers took a shovel or a few green shits and unpacked their ammo elsewhere it think it would look better if it works like any manipulation attempts I've made in civilian locations.

Try hitting scheduled restarts, I saw new good loot at one of the new tent camps numerous times even though the CLE isn't supposed to work like that before they turned persistence off on some servers. 

I would just like to say whoever that little punk was in Grishino with his little buddy playing CS-GO with me is a flat out asshat... I would very happily refund the money you spent for this game just to stop people like you from playing...

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Masprotech said:

I would just like to say whoever that little punk was in Grishino with his little buddy playing CS-GO with me is a flat out asshat... I would very happily refund the money you spent for this game just to stop people like you from playing...

Too many of them in this game.

12 hours ago, Espa said:

Ooooh cool fam! Excited to go find an ALICE pack :D 

@Hicks_206 (DayZ), not sure if this a pressing fix for you guys, but I know a lot of us would like to know. Will the fruit trees spam bug be fixed in .61? I don't think I have to say how much more survival the game would be without those infinite resources.

Well, if this was real life there would be loads of apples even in a couple of trees. I wonder if @Hicks_206 (DayZ) has ever picked up apples? Of course they grow only during the season, but still. I think the current solution is just blatantly stupid. How is our survivor unable to find an apple from a tree that by the graphics looks to be full of them? Why do you need to have so much apple trees in first place, if you think that picking up apples should last hours? Is the solution really that our survivor is groping the tree blindly like a dumbass, unable to find anything for the most of the time?

Better solutions to solve the problem:

a) Make inventory for the tree and spawn there randomly some amount of apples. Once they are picked up, they will "grow back" at some point appearing back to tree inventory.

b) Tweak the nutritional values of apples to compensate the amount you can find. If it is 200kcal like the wiki says, it is not realistic at all. There is around 80-115kcal in one commercially produced apple. These kind of wild trees can have much smaller apples, so they can have even apples with 35-60kcal or something like that. You could also make the trees to have three different sizes of apples. small = 35kcal, medium = 70kcal, large = 95kcal or so. Or even a little lower values for the medium and large sizes.

c) If you really want you could make that you need to "search" once to see the inventory of one particular tree. Just like opening the lid for barrels work. Searching the apple tree would just take let's say 5 seconds to open the inventory.

This would make the game more realistic and playable.

So what would you say @Hicks_206 (DayZ) for fixing it like this?

Edited by clipartcat

Bow certainly one-shots zombies. Checked the increased arrow damages:

Crossbow 'bolt' is roughly equivalent to a .300 Winchester Magnum and moves at 328 ft/sec.

'Composite arrow' is roughly equivalent to a .308 Winchester or 7.62x54R and moves at 295 ft/sec.

'Boned arrow' is roughly equivalent to a .303 British and moves at 262 ft/sec.

'Improvised arrow' is roughly equivalent to a .30-30 Winchester and moves at 230 ft/sec.

'Sharpened stick' is roughly equivalent to a 5.56 NATO and moves at 164 ft/sec.

Speeds changed around a bit, but all are still much too fast, particularly the bow's arrows.

The crossbow 'bolt' is especially overpowered. There's no reason that a crossbow ought to have the damage of a .300 Win Mag. A crossbow doesn't produce the same kind of wounds as a cartridge with 3,500 foot-pounds of muzzle energy. Unnecessary.

Edited by -Gews-

1 hour ago, -Gews- said:

Bow certainly one-shots zombies. Checked the increased arrow damages:

Crossbow 'bolt' is roughly equivalent to a .300 Winchester Magnum and moves at 328 ft/sec.

'Composite arrow' is roughly equivalent to a .308 Winchester or 7.62x54R and moves at 295 ft/sec.

'Boned arrow' is roughly equivalent to a .303 British and moves at 262 ft/sec.

'Improvised arrow' is roughly equivalent to a .30-30 Winchester and moves at 230 ft/sec.

'Sharpened stick' is roughly equivalent to a 5.56 NATO and moves at 164 ft/sec.

Speeds changed around a bit, but all are still much too fast, particularly the bow's arrows.

The crossbow 'bolt' is especially overpowered. There's no reason that a crossbow ought to have the damage of a .300 Win Mag. A crossbow doesn't produce the same kind of wounds as a cartridge with 3,500 foot-pounds of muzzle energy. Unnecessary.

How the hell? where do you figure this stuff out at lmao....

surprises me every time man, like you got a clock or something attached to your computer.

9 hours ago, ShallowTech said:

Looks good. For those of you that are already full geared, when you spawn, do you run straight to north military bases?

We run where the opportunity is.  Sometimes that means spending a couple hours getting healthy off of wolves, cows and deer, while stocking up on SKS, repeater, and blaze ammo, killing zombies and chickens with bow and arrow, and choosing the right time to make moves on big loot runs.

Right after a big rain is a great time to loot, being somewhat sure that most other players will be preoccupied with not freezing to death.

8 hours ago, wasnu said:

Contact me about this tomorrow perhaps, and we can do something about it.  if people are hopping EXp for PVP, we need to shut that shit down with prejudice.  Bring a cooking pot and a portable gas stove, not for human meat--unless we kill one hopper and capture his friend. On second thought, fuck it, bring handcuffs and bleach...

8 hours ago, ShallowTech said:

Once this goes stable I will be getting a public server to run for awhile, see how it goes and maybe pick up some contributors! It will be a US Southwest server if anyone is interested in playing on it! It will be awesome to play this build with persistence, having a base out in the woods would be really awesome!

I will work as park ranger on your new server for $125 USD weekly.  You won't regret it.   Short of that, How about you hop into this TS that Riddler encourages us forum regulars to use to meet up and have successful experimental test runs.  There is almost always someone willing to play, though we are usually on 1pp servers. 

8 hours ago, ShallowTech said:

This is bullshit,  Git Guud.  Join the TS and come learn to play.  We promise to try an hold your gear until you make it back from your first two mistakes per day.  I'll even run a backpack to you in my hands, if you guarantee to stay online for at least two hours; no debt incurred, just happy to help.

4 hours ago, BeefBacon said:

...as well they should. English Longbows were finely crafted weapons of war. Bows in DayZ are cobbled together from a random stick and some string. An improvised bow shouldn't be able to compete with firearms. Crossbows are a slightly different story, of course, since they're made from modern materials.

Maybe one day, we'll see the best bow stock planted around churches, as it had been for centuries.

Edited by emuthreat
stuff, thaangs
  • Like 1

May play soon! 

Can someone tell me what prominent bugs are showing up still? Is the Black-Head bug still showing up? 

Server hopping in Kamenka wtf??? Have to be really shy player. Never spotted anyone in Tisy hopping tho. 

24 minutes ago, Espa said:

May play soon! 

Can someone tell me what prominent bugs are showing up still? Is the Black-Head bug still showing up? 

Black head, items in ground not accesable, zombie geometry and much more in Hicks first post.

Played for 2 hours, saw no one, got bored in Stary Sobor. No bugs spotted this time. It was night. Had a bow and CZ75 without mags. I decided to run down to the tent cluster near Staroye. 

Inside the first tent I entered is a kitted-out player in full TTsKO. I fired an arrow. He tried to knock me out. We chased each other in circles for a while, then I realized his rifle was still on his back:

"You don't have a gun, do you?"

He ran away. I took out my pistol and chased. Told him many times to slow down, stop running, I only want to talk... nope. I took some potshots after issuing several warnings, but slowing down to aim only increased his lead, so I just focused on following him and tried to be discreet about it, hoping he would stop.

Eventually I caught up with him after about a kilometre or so. He was hiding in some trees. He took off again. Asked him to stop running, told him I didn't want his items, nothing worked with this guy... until I mentioned that I had put my gun away. He stopped moving and made an attempt to answer my question:

"What's your name?"

6RGFiAD.jpg

Then he ran forward and tried to punch me.

Thanks for the assault pack and the FAL! 

• Like 4

I had a long split run today. first with @Luc Tonnerreand @IMTon the SNG 1PP.

I had a rugged spawn north of Rify, where I refused to eat apples and had to resort to eating chicken cooked on a stick.  Krasnostav was a complete bust Seeing evidence of players passing before me, in the form of discarded armbands, and after spotting some wolves attacking either infected or wildlife ahead of me, I ran to Novy Lug.

Having staved off starvation by way of a couple chickens, I made a stash of improvised arrows and ran down to Mogilevka to meet Luc.  IMT ran from near Svetlojarsk, to catch us in Novy Sobor. We looted about, never finding anything of substance until reaching the NW Airfield. Somewhat geared, we headed to Tisy, where we found wolves as we approached the radar building.  We killed the cursory three wolves, and I insisted on cooking them right there, to see if the rest would come for revenge, but they didn't. We got geared to the teeth at Tisy, seeing nobody along the way.

Sorry about the Spoiler inception below, I couldn't really fix it.

Luc had a bad case of the plastic face,  and was having trouble keeping his gun fed, as he insisted on shooting every zombie he saw.  

?interpolation=lanczos-none&output-forma

And IMT had a chronic case of the blackface all day.  He was beginning to get truly agitated by the fact that we found twice as much 5.45 and 5.56 ammo in the far north, as we did 7.62x39 for him.

?interpolation=lanczos-none&output-forma?interpolation=lanczos-none&output-forma

The coyote backpack seemed to help his morale, though.

Having accomplished the mission of finding the new Coyote backpacks, Luc and IMT succumbed to the pressures of their time zone, and had to log off.  Awaiting the impending wipe, Luc and IMT tested whether a shotgun fired from beneath Luc's chin would refresh both of their spirits for tomorrow.

?interpolation=lanczos-none&output-forma ?interpolation=lanczos-none&output-forma?interpolation=lanczos-none&output-forma

The ballistic helmet must have caught the shot, because IMT had to log out and wait for the wipe like a high-society-type, with his face intact.  He magnanimously left me with his cooking pot, and bid me farewell.

I Eventually ran south to meet up with Kilgore on SC 0-2  -- after IRL making myself an epic, 4-meat 3- cheese sandwich with mayo, two different mustards, onions, thinly sliced carrots, mushrooms, red and green romaine lettuce, and baby spinach.<<<< @Hicks_206 (DayZ)  I hope you are getting the hint, RE: Advanced Crafting Goals.

I met up with Kilgore near Zaprudnoe, and we ran down near Grishino in search of deer, or preferably cows, from which to make some tanned leather goods.  We ended up looting the airfield and foolhardily chasing about some deer, until we wisely decided to retrieve the barrel and move on. The barrel remained persistent for over a half hour on two separate occasions.  We found deer by Altar, and cows too. Kilgore killed the first two deer, so we planted the barrel and emptied out our inventories.  I ran south with my AUG, and killed five cows at once, in what I call a "Beefining," and Kilgore collected and tanned all the leather as I cooked all the meat.

As a sidenote: @Kohlbar Spotted us running out of Grishino with the green barrel, just moments before we achieved our tanning mission.

For the record, there is still a green barrel with tanning supplies and shotshells in it on Southcentral 0-2, roundabouts 073/ 059 as DayZdb has it.  I still have the tanned leather...

I got maybe two hours left in me as this post hits the page.  Don't hesitate to hop into the TS:  ts.welcometothejungledayz.com

Edited by emuthreat
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, ShallowTech said:

I rather play on private servers, so I can have more different personalities. :) 

on topic: did anyone test tents against wolves?? Can they get in blue tent or big military tent?? I presume they can walk in in car tent.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, -Gews- said:

The range was already SIGNIFICANTLY increased. They did that in 0.57. It doesn't need to be pushed into firearm territory. 

That little improvised stick bow currently shoots as fast as something like this:

DSCF1411.jpg

I've been playing too much: I thought this was a render!

• Like 6

i played a little bit more than 1 hour today, spawned near svetlo under some nasty rain. i was cold after looting the first two houses in svetlo, so i stopped a first time, got lucky enough to find matches and a knife. got rid of the cold status and looted houses/cars as fast as possible. when i reached the police station, i was freezing and starving, so i looted a few more houses and made another fire. no raincoats were found :( ... . i struggled so mutch with the rain that i had a hard time finding food, infected carried no loot either (1 can of soda and that's it on 10+ infected killed). i managed to get some apples to not die from starvation, just enought to run to the nearest town. i had to make another fire and get some more apples. rain all the fucking time !!!

it was barelly possible to survive and not so fun since you have to stop every 2 minutes to make a fire, loot some apples, be cold again, dry up, starve, get some apples, get cold etc... . if you can't find a raincoat, this kind of situation is very bad and there is not mutch you can do about it, you are doomed to go ahead at a snail pace until someone axe you while you're drying up. i would love to see working heatpacks in that situation. infected were not a threat at all, they mere mostly unresponsive. i had 2 crashed in 1 hour, more than in the two last iterations and fireplaces were not visible in my hand nor in the chimney before being lighted up.

loved the new models in the trello, can't wait to see them ingame, that backpack details are awsome !

Edited by Zboub le meteor

Spawned N of Elektro this morning.  Fing was up by Kamensk.  We were gonna find some tents and see if we could set them up inside of each other and if they reorient on restart  Ran all the way N to meet him.  By the time we got to Kamensk, it was getting dark.  Went to the military camp.  Within 30 seconds someone who I thought was fing, but was not, unloaded about 15 rounds of AKM or AK74 into me.  I was only unconscious.  Kept standing up while a Z knocked me down, over and over and over.  Finally, the guy finished me off with a single shot.  10/10 would play again.  :D

ETA:  Also, stun batons do nothing to infected as far as I can tell.  Hit one 7 times, saw blood splatter, but didn't knock him down.  Yes, it had a pristine, charged battery.

Edited by Thurman Merman
  • Like 2

Ha was a laugh thur.  After that re-spawned in electro. gathered up some zeds then went to the fire station with them.  Climb up the ladder then jumped off to kill my self to find the zeds providing a nice cushion to land on lol. They then proceeded to punch me death.

• Like 1

Ha just dragged 3 zeds into the ocean.  They were quit happily running along the sea bed lol.