SmashT

Experimental Branch: 0.50 Discussion

Latest status report confirms it.

http://dayz.com/blog/status-report-week-of-29-sept-14

I see that that status report is for 29 sept., and eperimental started yesterday (1 oct.)

"Pairing this work with work currently under way by the design and programming teams to support the upcoming experimental release of both our first vehicle, as well as the first iteration of barricading via locked doors and the methods to break them down will greatly expand the player experiences as we close out 2014."

I thought this was it.

Edited by belphegor_goatzombie

In my 15ish minutes in(I drop all clothing/items off start); I've already found a track jacket, cargo pants, nikes, a hat(fully clothed, check) 2 CR75s, a Blaze, a shotty and ammo for it, beer and veggies! All on a 58 player server(in about a 2 block radius in Hobo).

Different strokes for different folks I guess =P

That phrase doesn't at all apply to this situation. You got lucky, I didn't... end of story. When there are as many variables as there are in DayZ, two people can (not surprisingly) have very different experiences playing it at the same time. Through four very short lives, I was able to find everything I could need -- just not all on one character without dying.

The issue for me wasn't finding supplies, it was finding supplies BEFORE zombies made my life difficult. If I find a bunch of food and have no way of consuming it, or can't stop running from a zombie, then it isn't really my fault is it? Telling me you gathered all that stuff proves nothing -- I could have easily gathered all that and more had I been given the opportunity to do so without being mauled by zombies. I'm not calling it a fault in the game, it's just difficult.

If they could (re)fix the zombies-going-through-doors problem then I would have been perfectly fine. I'm quite good at trapping zombies in buildings when I don't have a way of killing them, and that would have been all I needed in order to loot to my heart's content. Buuuuttt.... zombies just walk through doors. Like, almost all of them. Pretty hard to deal with zombies when you can't trap them, can't run from them, and have no way of killing them. If they fix the door problem, the game will be easy to me again.

EDIT: My apologies if my post came across as harsh, it wasn't intended that way.

Edited by Tatanko
  • Like 2

Fix for moving in a direction that isn't being pressed on the keyboard, is the press the key that is for that direction ie for WASD setup your strafing right then tap D etc.

for the menu issue double tap ALT ;)

I had one CTD when running to Cherno when holding ALT nothing since.

Also the hunger/thirst/stuffed seems a bit unbalanced, I could not get light green energised and hydrated! also when getting hydrated it disappeared very quickly!  the amount of food and drink consumed would cause type 2 diabetUS!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8MxAlNdV0g

1 handed pistol while walking/running/sprinting.

z8vwz.jpg

• Like 5

Well, THAT was weird. Logged in, started running, trying to see what this running bug was all about and thinking I'd know how to stop it since so many of you posted. Ha!

I ran away from Zed's, used the num. keypad to look back at them - and my head stays on backward. I could not look forward anymore, no matter what I tapped and double tapped.

Funny as hell :lol:

Let's see what the following session brings and let me hope for a hotfix for the hunger / thirst system. I don't mind the whole thing getting harder, but that's a bit too harsh for me.

I ran away from Zed's, used the num. keypad to look back at them - and my head stays on backward. I could not look forward anymore, no matter what I tapped and double tapped.

Same to me.

Of course, as always on experimental branch, the loot is messed up. 

I've spawned in Kamishowo, looted for 2 minutes without finding anything and then run to Elektro. Once in Elektro I died by starvation.

I mean, do you even check the patch before pushing it on experimental? How can I play the game and report bugs if I can't play the game properly? No axes to cut down trees and make a fire, no food, nothing. Oh yes, I found 5 medkits all togheter in a house! Wow!!1111111!!!!

Forthermore commands are strange and when you run the character sometimes keeps running also if you're not pushing any button.

As always, keep up the bad work on experimental. GG.

Edited by .+sl4yer+.
  • Like 1

As always, keep up the bad work on experimental. GG.

Experimental branch is called experimental branch for a reason.

• Like 4

Ok, so this is clearly the PS4 emulation patch as you will not get the movement bug if you use a controller.

PS. I can't believe some of you preferred the previous run cycle over this one. The last one had you playing as some tight assed stiff who would shit out diamonds if you ate some coal.

I've actually just plugged in my controller last night in a long time , .49 seemed to have made it so we can't use controllers anymore but last night I decided to try it again on .50 ... They must have changed something because my xbox controller (in conjunction with Xpadder) is now just as responsive as my mouse and keyboard !

So if any of you controller lovers out there see this , use an xbox controller (wired is easiest) and use Xpadder to configure controls , I had no movement bugs like when I was using KB and M and it felt a whole lot better than before when you could barely move in full circles because of the horrible default sensitivity for the controllers.. Playing with controller in Dayz is awesome (especially getting that first bandit kill) and I just configured a great way to use all the keys, even team speak although im lone wolfing it today so I won't need ts for this adventure ...

Experimental branch is called experimental branch for a reason.

You didn't read anything of my post, right?

One recommendation I have for those having trouble managing their stomach resource. Don't do too much of anything. Don't just suck down water in a pond when you're hungry to get fully hydrated. Hydrate just enough and try to put whatever food you can in you. Stuff yourself but not too much, wait a couple minutes and your metabolism is silly fast in this game, your stomach will have room again and add a little more. 

So far I've only had the movement bug once. I wonder if it might happen more with more fully populated servers? The ones I was playing on last night were normally around 10.

Well... That's the first time that I've ever been stuffed with food and starving at the same time.

You didn't read anything of my post, right?

I did.  But you make the mistake I made - I thought we were conducting the experiments.  That isn't it - we are the rats in the maze - we are the ones experimented on.  Once I realized that our role is guinea pig, I gave up that silly baggage called "hope".  :D

I must be addicted to this game - because I am really bad at it.  Or perhaps they taught me too well early in the game, and I am too old to unlearn - this is not the game that it was in December, nor in May - and of course it will be a very different game several times in the future.  Oh, well, off to play and die pointlessly yet again!

Z

• Like 1

Don't really understand what they're playing at by increasing the metabolism of characters so drastically. The logical choice would have just been to leave the energisation/hydration mechanic the way it was and nerf food spawns. If people are still dying due to the lack of reliable ways of obtaining food (which I'm sure will improve once horticulture is in and animal count is up) then at least it's somewhat believable. Going from perfectly healthy and hydrated to shrivelled husk in 15 minutes is just silly. 

Edited by Count_Blackula
  • Like 1

Boom! Managed to get healthy!

http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/540754448941498498/3F347CA23005B44969CE29D16FBB30A3A4B81DE3/

Went all the way to almost vomiting and then I was fine

Where have you been looting ?! Share your secrets ? :)

Just managed to stay alive for a good long while , about 2 hours .. Found just enough food to stay alive for that long but sprinting definitely wears on your hunger more ! I was getting chased by six zombies (screenshots to come :} ) and I ended up just ending my life as (I was starving and found only 5 fire extinguishers in the fire station of electro and basically all of the town) by wielding a fire extinguisher against the undead , I did quite well killing 2 , and a third succamb to the other zombies strikes lol .. Exciting as this is I definitely would like to see a bit more food / respawning food ... It's a little tough but maybe I should just try walking inland (and not running lol )!

Where have you been looting ?! Share your secrets ? :)

Just managed to stay alive for a good long while , about 2 hours .. Found just enough food to stay alive for that long but sprinting definitely wears on your hunger more ! I was getting chased by six zombies (screenshots to come :} ) and I ended up just ending my life as (I was starving and found only 5 fire extinguishers in the fire station of electro and basically all of the town) by wielding a fire extinguisher against the undead , I did quite well killing 2 , and a third succamb to the other zombies strikes lol .. Exciting as this is I definitely would like to see a bit more food / respawning food ... It's a little tough but maybe I should just try walking inland (and not running lol )!

Started in cherno then bop (pickaxe) then pavlovo (food) and the mil base (sks/vest) there then up to zelenogorsk.

I mainly had a pickaxe witch seems to be almost as good as a small axe now. I found an axe in a shed in zeleno. Found the scope/compensator in the red doored storage garages in zelen.

With the health statuses, don't be afraid of red stuffed BUT try to eat/drink pristine stuff e.g. I THINK you need a lot less pristine rice to get energised than damaged. I had brown stuffed and dark green energised/hydrated just before I got healthy. What I did is eat pristine milk power/rice to get light green energised then drank water from a pristine canteen. I got a message that I feel like vomiting but once the other two were light green, stuffed disappeared and I started healing. It's like a mini-game tbh I thought I'd never get healthy. Here I am hungry/thirsty/stuffed: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=321160255

Edited by freethink

New town/village between Novo and Severogard called Svergino. Some houses and such on the main road. I also noticed some houses up on the hill on the north side of the road. Went to investigate and noticed a bus off the road in a ditch. Came closer and discovered dead bodies lying about. Non-lootable but a nice touch. Wont spoil with a screen shot, go check it out.

No movement bugs here (1st person only player). 

hunger/thirst seems legit to me. No more stuffing yourself like a pinata and running 2 marathons with no ill effects.

• Like 1

I've not played experimental yet, but it sounds as though the stuffed/hunger thing is definitely a step in the right direction. Players now need to actually carry food - like they would in real life - rather than drinking half a pond and downing a bag of rice every hour. Seems as though now you have to eat food gradually and sacrifice some inventory space for food storage instead of just having a bag full of bandages and ammunition. The necessity for rain coats and down jackets uses up storage too. This is the way it should be; people carrying what they need to survive - not walking armouries. 

Though given the difficulties in getting a 'healthy' status I would like to see more ways for a player to self-heal.

• Like 2

The hunger and thirst is stupid, it is as simple as that. Now i have no issue with the speed of which it decreases but several times my avatar is still stuffed yet i have gone from light green hydrated to thirsty and energized to hungry yet my character is still stuffed from the last meal, how can you be hungry and thirsty but stuffed it makes no sense.

They need to also shorten the stuffed the same as they have hunger and thirst, how could they not have though of this before its so stupid.

• Like 4

I'm pretty sure worms can be cooked now :) I was just in Svetlo had a shovel and was futilely digging for worms , found like 4 bunches and noticed they now say "eat unprepared worms" whereas before it said " eat earthworms" or something like that ... I was gonna try and cook them but my guy was dying of starvation so I needed to look for food .. I find a whole bag of rice and decide to eat all , halfway through the animation I fall unconcious from starvation ? I think when the eating animation starts the hunger should stop increasing until it's done because I was literally eating food when I died of starvation lol!

The new style of walking/running is totally fucked up, if it's a new style. I keep running all the time, no possibility to make quick precise movements. If that should be intention, well, I think FPS are around long time enough to try to invent new ways of moving.  By the way it seems to lock in some stupid way, somehow, so I have oddly reverted keys (it happens suddenly/randomly) - instead of running forward with "W" it switches and I have to do it wit "A" key etc.

Quick patch anytime soon? I don't need automatic auto-running. I hate it. Especially in the villages/towns.

Edited by Tupoun

Quick patch anytime soon? I don't need automatic auto-running. I hate it. Especially in the villages/towns.

Double tap the movement key that seems to be stuck. That should stop the automatic movement. I know, it's not a fix but a workaround, but it makes it easier for now.

EDIT: Oh and, it's a bug, not a feature.

Edited by ChainReactor

Boom! Managed to get healthy!

http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/540754448941498498/3F347CA23005B44969CE29D16FBB30A3A4B81DE3/

Went all the way to almost vomiting and then I was fine

I didn't need to go even that far. Though I almost died for a zombie because of bled out. After 2h gaming I'm very healthy again with light green statuses. It just takes some time to get good status.