SmashT

Experimental Branch: 0.50 Discussion

Hurray !! the mouse acceleration is fixed !! Spot on, well done. Also the controls feels very responsive. They also fixed the annoying getting inside houses thing, it feels more natural going in and out of buildings now. The running is a "fatigue" running... probably in anticipation of weight affecting your balance and you stamina......

by the way... i only played for 10 minutes... some of you guys aren't very good at this "testing" thing....

Edit; Also the hitbox is  A LOT better... killed a zombie in 5 punches to the head....can't remember last time i did that..

Edited by Cpanther

It's a privilege because most games have a CLOSED Alpha.

Rebuttal?

Don't really want to get in on you guy's argument, but this statement is hardly true..

early access has become a huge thing and a shit ton of games are doing it now. So i agree that you can hardly call this a privilege. my 2 cents.

Back on topic, holy crap eating is broken. Once you're energized you're good, but getting there you have to be pretty damn fortunate. just died of starvation for the first time(in the exp) because i would be stuffed yet starving at the same time(how does that even work?) and anytime i ate anything it would hardly make a difference, i would get it to go away or yellow but not 2 minutes later it's back to orange and he's bitching that he's starving. Ate 5 apples, tactical bacon, 2 sodas and a tomato in a row and after 5 minutes boom i'm back to orange.

As i was dying i was trying to catch a fish to cook on a fire but the bastard got away, and before i could catch a second one i went unconscious. Didn't even bother to try and get back up as i still wouldn't have food and fishing takes too long. Knew i should have made a bow instead and go hunting for cows in Berezino..

So yeah mayor 3 gripes so far.

1. Even worse random zombie noises(driving me up a $%*#&%$ wall)

2. Metabolism is completely out of whack

3. Zombie aggro/detection/speed seems to have been turned up by 200%

As for anything new, so far all i noticed was the snare trap and that pub building with the chairs turned upside down on the tables now has doors for every room

Edited by Chompster

i like new hunger/stuffed curves, closer to realistic (imagine yourself running 24/7 with almost 20kg aditional weight :D )

i like violent zeds, however i doubt that they got sonar - u can easily agro a small group from whole town, just by passing by

however sometimes loot respawn right in front of you - looks weird like that! guess its already reported.

some items status is not properly updated, required "drag and drop" to manually update its status (wet, ruined ect)

Edited by AgainstAllAutority

So has there been a hotfix to experimental to fix all the BS yet?

Check the dev tracker twice daily, you'll probably see it there first ;)

Oh... i forgot about the wind... you can actually hear the wind now and the direction is coming from.. nice touch.

• Like 3

Been playing exp for about 45 minutes today. First spawn by lonely mountain at that little light house. Dead of starvation by the time I get to the construction site in Cherno. Second spawn close to Berezino. Invisible zombie kills me within 2 hits. Was getting hit by it as I was running and dead. So far Im not liking it. The new running animation looks kind of silly IMO.

My last post.. sorry.. i just revisiting my 10 minutes of game play in my head...

- The movement bug is probably related to the new mechanics entering buildings..you character "corrects" itself to enter the building more smoothly .. that may be causing the "stuck" running in one direction bug. 

Fair enough, i guess i could probably lower the tone down a bit and i will.

What i was trying to say is that they need to adjust the stuffed status in exactly the same way they have the hunger and thirst statuses. I am also trying to say that persistent is not fully functioning at the moment and i can't understand the devs decision to make all the exp servers persistent as it hinders the testers (us) ability to test the stuff they want us to test.

I did four complete runs of the north west to try and find some loot and i have yet to find a single gun, i wanted to find the two new weapons that i believe they have added but i am finding it impossible so i was frustrated about that, another thing to note is that the north west is meant to be a high risk, high reward area. On the fourth run i was just running across the airstrip as i realised that not one person was there, it was lifeless at the nwaf, that is madness and you have to ask why that is, in my opinion it is because the experimental servers are a bit broken at the moment.

The frustration you are experiencing is a staple of the DayZ world.

I am a huge fan of this game but I stepped away for months and merely read/lurked on the forum until news of an update I thought I would enjoy.

People invest in things that fail all the time. Creative endeavors of the best intentions collapse under their own weight.

Given time DayZ may be an incredible world of endless adventure or a pile of broken code that fades into internet legend.

I'm betting on the former. :)

Edit: for related content.

I broke my leg either stepping onto a crossbow or trying to pick it up.

I have experienced some rubberbanding.

I've been careful about eating and drinking but I never was able to see light green status + healing after taking some damage.

Edited by BioHaze

People shouldn't think of experimental as the stable preview. Sometimes the devs will actually want to experiment and experimental gives that option. People seem to think it's the last test of a build before stable when that's not always what it's about.

Edited by freethink
  • Like 9

The frustration you are experiencing is a staple of the DayZ world.

I am a huge fan of this game but I stepped away for months and merely read/lurked on the forum until news of an update I thought I would enjoy.

People invest in things that fail all the time. Creative endeavors of the best intentions collapse under their own weight.

Given time DayZ may be an incredible world of endless adventure or a pile of broken code that fades into internet legend.

I'm betting on the former. :)

Edit: for related content.

I broke my leg either stepping onto a crossbow or trying to pick it up.

I have experienced some rubberbanding.

I've been careful about eating and drinking but I never was able to see light green status + healing after taking some damage.

Hey.. the best games are a pile of broken code patched one million times.. and some more....in fact.. some of them are so broken that they end up being a new engine. 

Don't really want to get in on you guy's argument, but this statement is hardly true..

early access has become a huge thing and a shit ton of games are doing it now. So i agree that you can hardly call this a privilege. my 2 cents.

*snip*

I'm not up on all the latest game dev news but I haven't seen another Alpha quite of this scale.

Most MMO's I've seen with public Alpha release are far simpler in comparison I think.

My 2 Guilders.

I'm not up on all the latest game dev news but I haven't seen another Alpha quite of this scale.

Star Citizen.

Most MMO's I've seen with public Alpha release are far simpler in comparison I think.

My 2 Guilders.

Dayz isn't an mmo so I don't really see how that's relevant but ok.

Steam has a whole section dedicated to early-access games and there are many more all over the interwebs. So again it really isn't anything special.

Server hopped 3 servers in Svet to avoid dying of starvation and still died. Way to easy to die of starvation in this so far.

Server hopped 3 servers in Svet to avoid dying of starvation and still died. Way to easy to die of starvation in this so far.

Maybe you could try eating some apples ? or berries ?... i don't know... i just guessing here....

• Like 1

People shouldn't think of experimental as the stable preview. Sometimes the devs will actually want to experiment and experimental gives that option. People seem to think it's the last test of a build before stable when that's not always what it's about.

Thank you.

• Like 1

Maybe you could try eating some apples ? or berries ?... i don't know... i just guessing here....

All the apples I pick are rotten.

As a last resort I turned to picking apples. 10/10 were rotten.

Tried to axe a cow, but they are to fast, so even raw meat wasn't on the menu.

So in conclusion: 1,5 hrs of gameplay I found 1 can of tuna, 1 soda, 1 kiwi, 1 potato and that's it.

The last 4 of my characters on .50 exp all died of starvation.

Edited by Dennus

All the apples I pick are rotten.

As a last resort I turned to picking apples. 10/10 were rotten.

Tried to axe a cow, but they are to fast, so even raw meat wasn't on the menu.

So in conclusion: 1,5 hrs of gameplay I found 1 can of tuna, 1 soda, 1 kiwi, 1 potato and that's it.

The last 4 of my characters on .50 exp all died of starvation.

Interesting. I only played for an hour or two when it first released but there was food everywhere at the time - much more than I needed. I'll try hopping on again today.

The problem is that fruits have a ridiculously low nutritional value when you compare it to canned goods, which makes it hard to even reach a neutral hunger status by just relying on apples and berries.

Name            Energy        Water        Stomach

Apple             69 kcal        172 ml         130 ml

Berries          70 kcal            4 ml           40 ml

Beans           462 kcal       330 ml         440 ml

Peaches     1360 kcal       350 ml         440 ml

Source: DayZ Wiki http://dayz.gamepedia.com/Food#Food

Example: To get the ammount of energy a can of peaches gives you, you will need 19 - 20 apples, but you will have over 2500 ml in your stomach, wich certainly is vomiting-level. ( The calculation did not take the time into account that is required to harvest 20 apples and the loss of energy over this ammount of time, but i think i made my point. )

Edited by ChainReactor
  • Like 1

The problem is that fruits have a ridiculously low nutritional value when you compare it to canned goods, which makes it hard to even reach a neutral hunger status by just relying on apples and berries.

Name            Energy        Water        Stomach

Apple             69 kcal        172 ml         130 ml

Berries          70 kcal            4 ml           40 ml

Beans           462 kcal       330 ml         440 ml

Peaches     1360 kcal       350 ml         440 ml

Source: DayZ Wiki http://dayz.gamepedia.com/Food#Food

Yeah, i have that problem with apples too...the calories are disproportional to the time consumed looking for them, the time it takes to find "one" apple, you could potentially find a can of beans in the same time.

- Either shorten the animation.. so it doesn't takes 5-10 minutes to find one apple.

or

- Make the apples drop more frequently.

Yeah, i have that problem with apples too...the calories are disproportional to the time consumed looking for them, the time it takes to find "one" apple, you could potentially find a can of beans in the same time.

I've edited my post multiple times to clarify my point after you quoted, happy to see it wasn't necessary at all :P

• Like 1

Know what just crossed my mind and would be awesome.

Sticks+Knife=Sharp stick
Sharp Stick + Rope = Human instead of bunny trap.

or

Sticks+Rope+Grenade or Flashbang.
Explosive Human Trap.

ME WANTS!

Know what just crossed my mind and would be awesome.

Sticks+Knife=Sharp stick

Sharp Stick + Rope = Human instead of bunny trap.

or

Sticks+Rope+Grenade or Flashbang.

Explosive Human Trap.

ME WANTS!

They need empty cans so you could successfully make a cantrip grenade system like off of S.W.A.T 2 with rope,grenade, and a can

They need empty cans so you could successfully make a cantrip grenade system like off of S.W.A.T 2 with rope,grenade, and a can

...oooorrr, we could tie two empty cans together with some rope and make a telephone!  :o

• Like 3

Name                                                 Energy        Water                      Stomach        Cost

Apple                                                  69 kcal        172 ml                      130 ml             garden of eden

Berries                                                70 kcal         4 ml                         40 ml               life if you pick the wrong one

Beans                                                 462 kcal       330 ml                     440 ml             flick it if its yours, if not, always ask permission 1st

Peaches                                             1360 kcal      350 ml                    440 ml             may she rest in peace

Living life in the dahaaanger zone      over 9000     H2O                                               Priceless

• Like 1