RaptorM60

News regarding the 2019 roadmap

Dear Survivors,

since our last Status Report in January, we've been very busy putting all of our development effort into Platform Updates and console releases. The three updates we've managed to release so far have been accepted well across the community and introduced a good amount of changes and fixes. We've also received a lot of great direct feedback on the updates and we did our best addressing it directly, or considering it for future updates.

Of course, as core community members, there's another thing that you expected alongside updates: a development roadmap explaining what these platform updates should bring over the course of 2019. 

Even though we truly wanted to deliver it to our community, after delivering the first two updates, we have internally made the decision that committing to a specific, public development roadmap for DayZ is something that we would rather avoid.

Despite our best intentions and many internal changes in the update planning process, it proved challenging to maintain our content or feature goals to a standard that would allow us to make our internal plans into a reliable public roadmap.

So in order to prevent possible disappointments (we have, for example, truly wanted to expand upon the survival elements in the 1.02 update, but eventually had to postpone these changes for various reasons), we'd rather keep our communication focused on new changes to the game only when they become available through an Experimental update, or close to that.

We hope that's understandable.

Thank you for sticking with us.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 9
  • Beans 4

I'd like to ask why, when seeking direct feedback on a certain issue by way of a poll, the dev team is using Twitter instead of their own forums? It seems an odd choice to me, and it makes the practice of providing feedback on the official forums look rather pointless.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Beans 9

As much as I both agree, and respect your choices for wanting to keep a roadmap private. Myself, both as a player and modder, would love to see what's most important on the developers priorities. I'm not asking for specifics, even if it's something as simple as "Adding in 2 new weapons, possibly a new vehicle". I don't want a full list of everything you're planning to do, just what priorities you guys have internally. I feel as if the community would respond extremely well to that. But, once again, I do understand where you're coming from.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • Beans 5

Just now, thurstonn said:

As much as I both agree, and respect your choices for wanting to keep a roadmap private. Myself, both as a player and modder, would love to see what's most important on the developers priorities. I'm not asking for specifics, even if it's something as simple as "Adding in 2 new weapons, possibly a new vehicle". I don't want a full list of everything you're planning to do, just what priorities you guys have internally. I feel as if the community would respond extremely well to that. But, once again, I do understand where you're coming from.

I agree with that. Knowing if for example, something like helicopters comes before adding valuting gives us more information than surprise patch notes every few weeks where maybe suddenly something drops.

• Like 2
  • Beans 3

I understand your reasoning not to want to do a large roadmap, but how about just telling us what you are actually working on for the next months to come?

That should be pretty easy and would go a long way to begin with.

PS - Still waiting for the helicopters. 😉

• Like 1
  • Beans 1

1 hour ago, RaptorM60 said:

we have, for example, truly wanted to expand upon the survival elements in the 1.02 update, but eventually had to postpone these changes for various reasons

Thank you, it is nice to know that survival elements are a true focus for the dev team. It's just little things like this that the community wants. What's being prioritized and what not. 

Also I agree with the first post, please bring back communication in the official forums and not solely on Twitter. 

• Like 2
  • Beans 1

Thanks for communicating this to the community.

Like others have mentioned, it is nice to hear what we generally can expect with the next one or two platform updates. So if you still could see a chance to communicate from time to time what we can generally expect in the next patch, then that would be great. Like many others I can't wait for more survival elements (or in other words, current survival elements to be much more fleshed out) and features such as fishing and vaulting. To get a general idea on when to expect it, would be very pleasant. 

• Thanks 1

imho nobody "really" expects anything of that kind anymore. this ship has sailed long time ago.

Why not post snippets and little teasers, as simple as a screenshot of an object/area/mechanic or whatever from time to time here and there to a blog or forums? (trello worked wonderfully in that regard)

no announcements in advance, no premature commitments. people would honestly appreciate and value that more from my experience.

But whatever your decisions: BE TRANSPARENT and COMMUNICATE. Don't go silent.

Addressing the change in melee and the subsequent reversal was e.g. a good interaction and communication with and to the community - a first - in a long time.

Edited by joe_mcentire
  • Beans 5

Yup. I'm totally fine with this. Content is coming along nicely. This community can be very very toxic when promises are not kept. 

• Confused 2

I hope this quet down the obsessive self interested demanding type of players.

Thanks! And keep up the good work

On 5/15/2019 at 7:14 PM, amadieus said:

it is nice to hear what we generally can expect with the next one or two platform updates. 

But we don't get anything like that.

I dont know anyone who can give me info on what just the next update will contain and be about.

ANY info would be good.

This means they're slowing down/done with development of DayZ.

On 5/15/2019 at 5:15 PM, RaptorM60 said:

Dear Survivors,

since our last Status Report in January, we've been very busy putting all of our development effort into Platform Updates and console releases. The three updates we've managed to release so far have been accepted well across the community and introduced a good amount of changes and fixes. We've also received a lot of great direct feedback on the updates and we did our best addressing it directly, or considering it for future updates.

Of course, as core community members, there's another thing that you expected alongside updates: a development roadmap explaining what these platform updates should bring over the course of 2019. 

Even though we truly wanted to deliver it to our community, after delivering the first two updates, we have internally made the decision that committing to a specific, public development roadmap for DayZ is something that we would rather avoid.

Despite our best intentions and many internal changes in the update planning process, it proved challenging to maintain our content or feature goals to a standard that would allow us to make our internal plans into a reliable public roadmap.

So in order to prevent possible disappointments (we have, for example, truly wanted to expand upon the survival elements in the 1.02 update, but eventually had to postpone these changes for various reasons), we'd rather keep our communication focused on new changes to the game only when they become available through an Experimental update, or close to that.

It's beyond me how a game developer and company don't have resources to communicate and post updates weekly/monthly.

And no road map? In my world that is an excuse for not having a stable and set goal with the game and it's development. 

Over these 6 years maybe your standards have been set too high if you find them "challenging", either that or you have the wrong people doing the development. Lack of knowledge maybe? 

I heard horror stories from employees at game companies were they had to learn by doing, game directors that change stuff from week to week etc. 

Quite frankly i don’t believe your excuses. 

• Beans 2

On 5/15/2019 at 8:15 AM, RaptorM60 said:

Dear Survivors,

Accepted well? Haha, no. Maybe you guys keep track of your player numbers. This game is dying fast. Maybe you guys should start hiring some game testers to ensure that your next updates don't completely ruin the game. No point of fixing three things if you're going to break 40.

• Like 1

On 5/15/2019 at 11:15 AM, RaptorM60 said:

Dear Survivors,

The 3rd and last update was not received well. Issues with the locks have gone undiscussed. Y'all pushed a confirmed broken update out. Gunthers weren't even in the game. I had to code my own spawns. Cars are blowing up and sitting on their sides, not a peep from staff.

So what if you would rather avoid it? Most people would avoid going to work everyday, but they have to put their pants on and go anyway. We've been here a long time, some of us longer than others. Why does complaints from kids effect a professional development company so badly? Complaints are part of the business. The roadmap doesn't need to be pinpoint reliable, we just want to see whats in there. OK there are challenges ahead, batten down the hatches and make due.

This isn't understandable at all actually. I really don't understand any of it.

• Like 3
  • Beans 2

On 5/15/2019 at 6:38 PM, Max Planck said:

I'd like to ask why, when seeking direct feedback on a certain issue by way of a poll, the dev team is using Twitter instead of their own forums? It seems an odd choice to me, and it makes the practice of providing feedback on the official forums look rather pointless.

I've also wondered about that; I don't have a Twitter account and neither do the friends I play with, so we don't see those announcements until someone happens to post a link of the Tweet on the Steam Forums.

• Like 1
  • Beans 1

There goes any chance of all the features that were originally planned , this post is basically a reinforcement that they don’t have to stick to any more deadlines nor do they have to add any specific features that they are still missing (which there are many).

I really hope the dayz dev team picks up the pace in terms of content adding , survival tweaking , and fixes , but not just one of the three because we need all 3 especially the content adding (game is bare bones compared to its planned content before the mess of a rushed beta and messy/rushed 1.0 launch).

• Sad 1
  • Beans 1

On 5/16/2019 at 1:15 AM, RaptorM60 said:

Dear Survivors,

OP what the hell? All we are hearing is; Focused on consoles development, Challenged to meet standard goals, Hiding the development roadmap, Trying hard to avoid commitments, Narrowed communication and Disappointing comments on possible future disappointments, Am I reading this right? Did you just tell us you are sellouts 6 times? WTF I hope not.

Edited by ICEMAN-FMCS
  • Like 1
  • Beans 1

Honestly WTF is wrong with you...it is hard to believe Dayz team even is connected to BI anyhow...just head over to the Arma3 forums and have a look for example at the new Livonia feedback threads...they are buzzing...devs are commenting , reacting to and hell even liking posts made by the community. Devs after 5 years still  are active on the dev branch threads and we've got a bunch of Sitreps and Spotreps ( beside Community Radar) this year for a game that is not even fully supported anymore....not to forget we've got a Roadmap for Arma3 at least at some point every fucking year....

so again WTF ????

I tell you something...I believe this is your childish way to punish your Community for not being happy about your Version 1,0 release and the state of the game...strange enough radio went silent after the 1.0 shitstorm....can't be coincidence 😞

• Beans 4

THE moment they started talking about XBOX publicly, that was THE moment, and I called it BTW, that the game was sunk.  No matter how you sugar coat it, what could have been, was thrown in the toilet so that console money could flow.  The only thing DayZ will end up being good for is making an engine they can build Arma 4 with.  The DayZ community paid for it, and we have so little to show for it.  My cousin and his friends have watched me play DayZ and always wanted it for XBOX and PS4, I managed to keep them from buying it.  The game was more fun in 2014 and 2015.  When things changed to build the engine for Arma 4, the things that made the game great, vanished.  Look up DayZ videos on Youtube, you can't tell me that those videos in 2014 through the first half of 2016 aren't awesome, they slowly faded and nothing great can be found really after 2017... at least nothing that reaches how amazing things were.  Over 6000 hours in this game, and I haven't played since December of 2018. 

Epoch mod could be the only thing that saves this game.  They have the talent to actually make DayZ awesome again.  I have more confidence in them now, than BI, that's for damn sure.

• Beans 1

17 minutes ago, THEGordonFreeman said:

The only thing DayZ will end up being good for is making an engine they can build Arma 4 with.

The Enfusion engine is the platform on which DayZ is built and runs. Even if DayZ reaches the “fully ready / completed” state, it means nothing to the future of Arma4. Arma4 will need the same long creation steps that DayZ is currently taking.
I understand that existing and working Mods in Arma3, rich in content and logistics, can be a temporary alternative. But the poor performance of the Server and PC, which is being played now in Arma3, does not create attractiveness and is also a big problem. Poor performance and stupid AI, also contributes to the poor experience of the players, and has no less criticism. In order for DayZ to be filled with content, you still need a lot of time and testing to satisfy your nostalgia needs.

Yeah this is why BI stated that a large part of the Arma team is now working on the Enfusion engine. Only the core parts of the new engine are done but it still uses many legacy components and still is outdated in many regards, lacking next gen tech features.

I also have to agree with TheGordon in some way....I am so disappointed with this game here that I would be happy with just sharing them map assets with Arma 3 or even releasing Chernarus+ for Arma 3  in the future. This has nothing to do with the tech, I am sure they will improve and build a real good engine over time, but with the general direction as well as a lot of bad game design decisions...not to forget a communication that ranges between amateurish and arrogant....

I am of still excited for Namalsk though...

Maybe they pissed off everybody, and almost got traumatized by the amount of hate this forum can generate after each update.

I think it's for the best, since they handled the PR very badly at least since August 2018.

And using Twitter to make official announcement is un-professional. How about using a web notification service in the forum? it's free to use and to implement nowadays.

8 hours ago, Tarkules said:

Maybe they pissed off everybody, and almost got traumatized by the amount of hate this forum can generate after each update.

I think it's for the best, since they handled the PR very badly at least since August 2018.

And using Twitter to make official announcement is un-professional. How about using a web notification service in the forum? it's free to use and to implement nowadays.

Agreed, we may be pissed off but the Devs need to be assured its not in the context of hate, I call it creative criticism and its an integral part of a developer/player/customer/community relationship, I know most of us love to dish out the issues and forget to mention what has no issues so forgive some of us for that, But we do not forget the good work you guys have put in, not at all, and thank you, But with every relationship things get a bit rocky here and there, We as the customer/players/community are just letting you the Devs know that there is some issues that need immediate work on by your part to keep this relationship healthy so to speak.

Please dont hesitate to inform us of any ideas/polls etc.. we would love to be a part of a game thats the age of a small child now and to have involvement with its growth is something we would be honored being a part of whilst keeping a professional aspect of our places and positions by way of comments.

I dont own a smart phone (yea yea w/e) nor do I even have a twitter thingy, facebook thingy, or Instragram thingy so please Devs there may be many such as I that dont use these platforms (or just me lol) and traditionally use these here forums as a direct primary form of information and communications line with you guys, so more involvement here would be seen as a closer pitch to professionalism and interaction with the DayZ Community.

And please remember most of the users here are on the PC platform and I guess it feels like we are being pushed aside and forgotten in favor of the consoles, so please also make sure we are favored from that aspect being the start platform of this games birth.

More content with less wait time and fast bug patching seem the only way to push and build the content side of this game to the levels we are meant to be seeing, It a 6am-10pm 5 days a week job but thats what youve been hired for, to put in meaningful work for the better of the users and the game, bigger the chunks the better, we will chew it out and throw bugs back at yas for squashing, no problem there.

We look forward to more interaction with us here on the forums and as much as I love the dark (minus the exaggerated colored speckley attempt at rods and cone cells) We want to see almost real time happenings and progress, even if its the same thing sometimes id rather be bored with that then left to speculations of our thoughts and assumptions.

Make us happy again and the game will be happy again.

Cough..cough.. helis cough.. shoot from vehicles cough.. more content cough.., ahem.. sorry bout that. 😁😉

Edited by ICEMAN-FMCS
Damnit now its going to say edited..
  • Beans 2

Thing is... I don't want nostalgia.  I want the game we were presented and sold, not the console version of the game so BI could test enfusion for Arma 4 and have that console money.   That's what pisses me off, most people don't see the bait and switch, step waaaay back, and it is clear that the direction turned, they released a game that they, themselves said they were not obligated to do by deadline or even orders from the top, the developers say they CHOSE to do it, it was a self-imposed deadline with no rhyme or reason.  If you choose to believe the narrative they say, then it shows full on incompetence.  If you step back and see that they released the game to make Micro$oft happy, grab that money, then make Sony happy, grab that money, the REAL narrative comes into focus, this game is INCOMPLETE at best, and it just got released on everything except mobile.  It was fun in 2014, and most of you XBOX and PS4 people may not realize it, it was more complete back then as well, that's right, there is less content now than almost 5 years ago.  So sick of the excuses.  Namalsk and/or Epoch will make it great again, but the base game is burnt toast.

The recently released live action trailer..... if only someone would make THAT game. 

Edited by THEGordonFreeman
  • Beans 2