SMoss

Status Report - 29 Mar 2016

1 hour ago, nl said:

yeah I know and that's what I did, running DX11 and no problems found. So I don't understand the original question about possibly needing windows 10 to utilize DX11 in the new renderer. I am running an Asus GTX 650 Ti Boost DCII OC,2GBm which is DX11 compatible, so should the original question have been about the graphics card rather than the OS version?

I think it's has everything to do with the GPU, not so much the OS. 

Windows Vista+SP2 or later should run DX11 (with a compatible GPU) linky

Windows Vista and later has DX11 available, it's also up to the GPU to support it, You also have different DX11 versions, 11.0,11.1,11.2,11.3 and 11.4 to my knowledge.

Then there is also drivers(in some cases the driver is all that needs updating for the above additional versions).

The only thing which would require Windows 10 would be DirectX 12. and of course the GPU would need to support DX12(it was confirmed that DX12 support would come later, but that remains to be seen).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, nl said:

yeah I know and that's what I did, running DX11 and no problems found. So I don't understand the original question about possibly needing windows 10 to utilize DX11 in the new renderer. I am running an Asus GTX 650 Ti Boost DCII OC,2GBm which is DX11 compatible, so should the original question have been about the graphics card rather than the OS version?

Yeah I just didn't know if OS version had anything to do with what DX the computer could run. Mine's running DX12 so it should be fine. I guess all that I'm wondering now is what happens to people who don't have DX11, but since it seems most decently modern GPUs have DX11 support, I guess they should just get newer computers.

Am I the only one a little sad to hear Peters update? While he would win most arguments, I'm just saddened that players will not get to stumble through the mysteries of the game world, it's all explained by the silhouette. No need to talk to anyone. Granted, it doesn't matter for me and many others. (I don't want players to struggle because I did, but because my experience was so great)

People have literally grown into adulthood during game development, plenty of freshies will come to love DayZ and learn to mod because of it, I hate that they won't get that old school element. Sorry, just do. 

Besides that, HANDS! Love the physicalization of item use. It's going make this game feel special. I was thinking zero crafting while in the inventory, but that would get old fast, just as long as you have commit to using hands it's all the same. Got this one right. 

Wondering about animations....so you got sticks in left...quick slotted rags....hit the hot key....do the rags just appear or is there a reaching animation to get the item first? 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, stinkenheim said:

They can do that anytime. It's not the devs that control the complaints coming from the community.

I get how annoying it is to see things constantly getting delayed and having to wait for something we all want so very badly but complaining about it doesn't help. Pressurising devs into giving timescales won't help either. I mean you may get a patch released on whatever date they'd said but I may not be of a high quality because they didn't wait a week or a month or however long to iron out massive bugs.

Far better to wait and let things happen.  The game currently is perfectly playable.  It's not like we are seeing the massive amounts of desynch that littered previous patches. The main bugs are not being able to loot bodies and the weapon glitching.

I could gladly play on this for a while as I wait for .60, I'd rather this than the mess that was .57.

'Pressurising devs into giving timescales won't help either' <- and Imma stop you RIGHT... there... we don't give them timescales... they give us 'possible' time scales when stuff SHOULD hopefully be done ;) don't get ur facts mixed up there buddy.. just so you can side with the devs against the community complaints..

proof? 
correct me if i'm wrong.. but this ->>https://dayz.com/blog/dayz-moving-into-2015 <<- is a time frame on progression through 2015... that was NOT coming from the community.. but the devs thank you very much ;)

12 hours ago, GaryWalnuts said:

I think it's has everything to do with the GPU, not so much the OS. 

Windows Vista+SP2 or later should run DX11 (with a compatible GPU) linky

anyone still running vista... should not be allowed to own an internet connection xD let alone a gaming PC... you don't run vista when there's this thing called windows 7... or windows 10.. xD lol...

on topic: the DX 11 problem isn't related to OS.. (if you're running a current OS) VISTA SP2 IS NOT a current OS... thats behind 4 gens (7, 8, 8.1, 10) all graphics cards starting from link 

MARCH 26, 2010 7:50 PM

NVIDIA’s First DirectX 11 capable GPUs coming to market!

GeForce GTX 470 and GeForce GTX 480. (so about 5 generations of cards back) in a timespan of 4+ years.

so you're fine running a 560 or 650 or a 660TI.. with DX 11

the only problem is the game itself.. it has a DX 9 engine (at the moment) but in about 2-3 weeks (hopefully) 0.60 will hit the exp or stable and that will give you DX 11 + 75-100% FPS improvement

Edited by Tigermonk
  • Like 1

On 29/03/2016 at 9:49 PM, SMoss said:

// image //

Hey - really nice evocative screenshot
I know a place like that in the ardennes - except the gun is gone off an old sherman in the undergrowth next to the shack
deja-vu

4 hours ago, Tigermonk said:

'Pressurising devs into giving timescales won't help either' <- and Imma stop you RIGHT... there... we don't give them timescales... they give us 'possible' time scales when stuff SHOULD hopefully be done ;) don't get ur facts mixed up there buddy.. just so you can side with the devs against the community complaints..

proof? 
correct me if i'm wrong.. but this ->>https://dayz.com/blog/dayz-moving-into-2015 <<- is a time frame on progression through 2015... that was NOT coming from the community.. but the devs thank you very much ;)

Reading, it's important. Admittedly this is the Internet so things can be misinterpreted or misread easily.

I think you will find my statement said 'pressurising devs into giving timescales won't help either' which means that we, the community, apply pressure on the devs to give us the timescale.

In no way did I say that we put pressure on the devs by giving them timescales. 

So yeah, next time you want to do the whole 'imma stop you there' rubbish and accuse me of getting my facts wrong (they were actually opinions btw but I'll let you off) maybe you should take a second to double check what was written.

Much love man. No insults were intended in this post so apologies if it comes across that way, been a long and stressful couple of months.

10 hours ago, Coheed_IV said:

Am I the only one a little sad to hear Peters update? snip-

I am also of 2 minds about this.

Making mechanics a mystery was similar to the old school PC Sim games where you had to peel through menus and all the combos of items and actions before figuring it out. Unfortunately it is a false sense of discovery/difficulty really as we all know what things interact with other things in real life (for the most part).

Immersion is also partly tactile fluidity of control (not just visual in nature), and I think that is the trade off here, which I do agree with.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, ☣BioHaze☣ said:

Making mechanics a mystery was similar to the old school PC Sim games where you had to peel through menus and all the combos of items and actions before figuring it out. Unfortunately it is a false sense of discovery/difficulty really as we all know what things interact with other things in real life (for the most part).

Immersion is also partly tactile fluidity of control (not just visual in nature), and I think that is the trade off here, which I do agree with.

Same here. I liked the mystery of putting stuff together and feel that it ultimately contributed greatly to the sense of discovery I experienced throughout my play time. But if it means we do away with the general "clunkiness" of the old system and allow for a much more fluid, natural method of interacting with the game, then so be it.

• Like 1

well i honestly would have wanted to hear something about a new feedback tracker. i could imagine getting 0.60 with loads of bugs and not being able to report them in a compact and effective way..

I just check the feedback tracker often, hoping that when it comes back, .60 will soon follow.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ColdAtrophy said:

Same here. I liked the mystery of putting stuff together and feel that it ultimately contributed greatly to the sense of discovery I experienced throughout my play time. But if it means we do away with the general "clunkiness" of the old system and allow for a much more fluid, natural method of interacting with the game, then so be it.

I also felt a twinge of panic when I read that....sort of came across as a hedge towards the inevitable Console version.

It made me secretly happy though....the lazy and instantly gratified version of me thinks it's awesome that I will know all the possibilities right away without having to do any homework or experimenting...hehehe.

14 hours ago, ☣BioHaze☣ said:

I remember playing Police Quest on my Atari 512 with a friend back in the 90's. The game was so much fun to us, because we didn't know what to do. And whenever we were out of clues, we would just type "piss in corner" or something completely offset, just to see how our guy reacts. It's funny to imagine that in the 90's there were adventures with text-input, where you actually had the freedom to write anything you want. And today we are celebrating the awesome amount of choice we have in a game when the answer can be more than yes or no. 

These old games were pretty unique and difficult. Police Quest wasn't that great a game after all, but we would bond together over it at school and with others, think about it in our free time and finally come out with a result. Sometimes I'd play games like these for months without actually being able to find the answer and finish the mission. And in the meantime, there was still "Mission Impossible" or "North versus South", "Test Drive" or "Speedball 2 Brutal Deluxe", or something else to play. I can remember the game I hated the most was "Myst", because it was too difficult and the game I liked the most was "The Dig", although that came out a while later, when I had switched from Atari to Mac. 

In Dayz the problem are often bugs and chance. It's a huge map and you might be lucky and find what you're looking for, however most times you won't; or you do just that and skip on the diversion. I like finding out things for myself, but I think most of it is so non-sensical that you basically need to reverse your brain-logic. For example - that you can shoot cars with arrows to turn them makes no sense at all. Just something, someone found out,out of desperation, I guess. I like how the devs don't always tell us how to use and find everything, but a lot of things that make life easier in Dayz are actually just bugs, not features.  

Edited by S3V3N
  • Like 2

On 31.3.2016 at 7:11 AM, Coheed_IV said:

Am I the only one a little sad to hear Peters update? While he would win most arguments, I'm just saddened that players will not get to stumble through the mysteries of the game world, it's all explained by the silhouette. No need to talk to anyone. Granted, it doesn't matter for me and many others. (I don't want players to struggle because I did, but because my experience was so great)

People have literally grown into adulthood during game development, plenty of freshies will come to love DayZ and learn to mod because of it, I hate that they won't get that old school element. Sorry, just do. 

In the meantime I really enjoy the fact that the newui has no status indicators: You stop the hunt for bright green energized/hydrated. It's funny but I feel that even such a small thing as a status indicator can be a "task list". A list with all potential attachments is a step away from the "play the game however you like to play it/find your own goals" principle to some form of "your task is to find all the missing items until your gun is complete".

Hopefully this is only a very subtle effect in the GUI or I would prefer that it is only visible if you want to see it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bingo_fuel said:

Hopefully this is only a very subtle effect in the GUI or I would prefer that it is only visible if you want to see it.

That's the point. It's shouldn't be intrusive, ideally a keybind to set on or off.

But I haven't played a game in the past, which doesn't break the immersion in the carfting mode. It always looked wrong to me, but I have no idea how such a features could be implemented "more immersive"...

The lack of communication from the devs since 0.59 hit kinda sucks

Edited by VVarhead

3 hours ago, VVarhead said:

I don't know, man.   They just posted this Status Report on Tuesday at 12:49 PM.   With a Major Engine Change looming so very close, the Laser Focus is much appreciated.   I'm so ready for the .60 release to Experimental!  And then finally on to Stable.   I think there are a lot of other players on here that are feeling the excitement, too.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, VVarhead said:

I think the communication has improved: The status reports are released biweekly and the devs started using the yt channel more often.

• Like 1

The experimental thread will have no less than 3 and possibly more than a dozen comments by people saying, "Why did I get KoS'd while I'm testing the build?".

The experimental regulars should get their own password protected server for .60 so we don't have to mix with the unwashed masses flocking to try Enfusion or compete to merely log in and test versus just KoS with DX11.

/insert sarcasm - It's not like some of us haven't slogged through every broken iteration that no one else cared about only to get KoS'd when we are trying to test and the populations spike because a new gun is added, or trucks, or..... the new renderer.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ☣BioHaze☣ said:

The experimental thread will have no less than 3 and possibly more than a dozen comments by people saying, "Why did I get KoS'd while I'm testing the build?".

The experimental regulars should get their own password protected server for .60 so we don't have to mix with the unwashed masses flocking to try Enfusion or compete to merely log in and test versus just KoS with DX11.

/insert sarcasm - It's not like some of us haven't slogged through every broken iteration that no one else cared about only to get KoS'd when we are trying to test and the populations spike because a new gun is added, or trucks, or..... the new renderer.

I don't need a password protected server. I want to play with the unwashed masses. Throw me in the mud! I still find random helpful survivors on public servers anyway, and I like taking my chances XD

--

Also, I thought Peter's part of the blog was interesting, saying that people had to learn the crafting mechanics by themselves or from others in-game in the past and now, to help make more of these moments, they're introducing... tutorial shadows and hints? This is just my opinion, but I kinda like the grunge-y, frustrating way of learning how to do things without hints. It especially bugs me for guns. If I have an AK which I am quite content to have only a suppressor on, then shadows constantly reminding me of the other possible attachments are really gonna get annoying. There could be cool ways of having helpful features, but sometimes I think tutorials serve to skip over otherwise fun and engaging parts of a game.

Edited by Kohlbar

3 hours ago, Kohlbar said:

PI don't need a password protected server. I want to play with the unwashed masses. Throw me in the mud! I still find random helpful survivors on public servers anyway, and I like taking my chances XD

--

-snip-

You missed the point completely.

Public servers are not equal to experimental servers as far as player base is concerned.

I have a high rate of neutral/friendly encounters in public too but this doesn't apply when you have 50/50 experimental servers where everyone is just KoSing as they spawn.

/insert more sarcasm - That's a really helpful data set they provide and I'm sure those people contribute A TON to the bug tracker and build threads here.

I see what you're saying, basically a more helpful, constructive group of players to test things and post feedback. I don't think 50/50 exp servers are as bad as all that though, I've still had some of my more interesting encounters to date on exp servers and I really like how easy it is to find people up north in exp servers. I think the regular exp servers are a great medium for experimenting and providing feedback, esp. considering they provide clear instructions for any random person to provide feedback (server messages is how I found out about forums/feedback tracker). KoS just adds a little spice to the experimental process. 

Edited by Kohlbar
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ☣BioHaze☣ said:

You missed the point completely.

Public servers are not equal to experimental servers as far as player base is concerned.

I have a high rate of neutral/friendly encounters in public too but this doesn't apply when you have 50/50 experimental servers where everyone is just KoSing as they spawn.

I'm sure that even if they put up a passworded server for the "experimental regulars" there would still be plenty of KoS.

'Tis DayZ.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ☣BioHaze☣ said:

/insert more sarcasm - That's a really helpful data set they provide and I'm sure those people contribute A TON to the bug tracker and build threads here.

Yes. We do.