boneboys

Stable Branch - 0.59 Discussion

I've found about 5 so far. I don't normally pick them up. They spawn in houses.

I found 15 Glock magazines and 5 or 6 pistols, but maybe one or two Makarov pistols and not a single mag since .59 hit experimental!

I found 15 Glock magazines and 5 or 6 pistols, but maybe one or two Makarov pistols and not a single mag since .59 hit experimental!

I've only seen them on Russian heli crashes so far.

• Like 1

I've been bipping zombies left and right with the Glock. I love the green little sights, but I must say pulling off a headshot with it is quite weird. It makes me wonder what the zeroing on the pistol is since I have to aim literally at the zombie's neck to hit it in the head at 50m. Pretty sure aiming at the upper torso is necessary for headshots at <10m. Also, I'm really getting frustrated with having a sedan that I'm trying to keep. I have crashed it 3 times so far and EVERYTIME I try to search for wheels, I find enough bus wheels for 4 buses and enough offroad wheels for 4 hatchbacks, before I find a single damn sedan wheel. I have definitely spent more time maintaining the car than the time the car has saved me by traveling places.

Edited by Kohlbar

How to atach bipod on AK rails?

Paint the AK Handguard Rail with black spray paint. 

I've just returned from the Christmas holiday. I quickly checked and saw my tents are gone. I took the best stuff out though, so I'm basically a walking armory at this time ^^

I just wonder - are the Christmas trees still in and is there anything else I've missed in the past 9 days? And was there a wipe with the update, or are my barrels supposed to disappear after a week ((I can believe someone found the tents, but the barrels - not so much). 

Everyone happy with the stable? Did cars get fixed somewhat or are they still a sliding mess? Fitting with the season perhaps, but I really hope, that and syncing vehicles is on the bucket list, next. 

Edited by S3V3N

0.59 is a big step up from previous updates. I'm rather happy with it. However, the game is still horribly unbalanced and it bothers me how stupidly and unrealistically rare weapons/ammo have become.

Firstly, on the matter of balance. Me and my friend were scouting Cherno from a forest, fully geared with full health and blood. Suddenly, some freshie with an ashwood stick comes up and knocks us out with one hit each. Even worse- when I saw my friend die, I tried pulling out my glock but the broken animation system made my character stand completely still whilst doing so. I'm being attacked? Let me just stand completely in place while I slowly pull out a weapon! I know the animation system is being completely revamped so I can let that slide but I can't believe that a mere stick can do so much damage.

Also, I understand that the game is a zombie apocalypse so ammo is harder to find, but the loot system is still very unbalanced and unrealistic. Basic hunting rifle ammo is rarer than 5.56 rounds and SVD ammo. I hope this isn't intentional because I know that CLE still needs work. However,what bothers me the most about .59 is the helicopter crashes. They are quite literally the most pointless existences at the moment. Why would anyone have the incentive to go looking for hours for a helicopter crash when they almost always spawn nothing that you wouldn't find at normal military bases? I've looked through many helicopter crashes and I've only found things like boots, jackets and weapons I'd find at NWAF or Myshkino. Wouldn't you realistically expect to find a couple M4s on a helicopter crash? What's the point in spending hours looting helicopter crashes when I can easily just grab an AKM and loot the tons upon tons of AKM ammo that is currently spawning? The most I've found at a helicopter crash in .59 is one stanag mag. ONE. MAG.

I know that the game is under progress. However, until CLE is developed upon further, I will stick to doing a few quick coastal loot runs and then fighting with whatever flimsy gun I can find.

0.59 is a big step up from previous updates. I'm rather happy with it. However, the game is still horribly unbalanced and it bothers me how stupidly and unrealistically rare weapons/ammo have become.

Firstly, on the matter of balance. Me and my friend were scouting Cherno from a forest, fully geared with full health and blood. Suddenly, some freshie with an ashwood stick comes up and knocks us out with one hit each. Even worse- when I saw my friend die, I tried pulling out my glock but the broken animation system made my character stand completely still whilst doing so. I'm being attacked? Let me just stand completely in place while I slowly pull out a weapon! I know the animation system is being completely revamped so I can let that slide but I can't believe that a mere stick can do so much damage.

(...)

What's the point in spending hours looting helicopter crashes when I can easily just grab an AKM and loot the tons upon tons of AKM ammo that is currently spawning? The most I've found at a helicopter crash in .59 is one stanag mag. ONE. MAG.

Sharpened stick to the head has been a one-hit kill for a long time now. I agree it is the most pointless thing - I don't even think it should be a melee weapon, seeing how there is a spear and the stick is actually meant for cooking (don't know if they have craftable stick fences or something in mind, for the future).

(...)

Helicopters to me are usually something I don't go looking for, but they are often on my route when I set off to go scavenging from my campsite. It's really good to have a campsite - or a few - because it's basically quite nice to get surprised by a chopper, once in a while. I think I found 3 or 4 while I played 0.59 before my break. Found 2 Aug, only one taped Stanag 60 mag (at a different crash) and otherwise only grenades (mostly damaged) and clothing. You can get the black tactical shirt at heli crashes, which is quite nice, but not really something I would consciously go looking for. 

There is quite a problem with heli crashes, because you can look for them quite easily with a car. Granted, you don't always find something, but more often than not, you do. And it only takes a few seconds to jump out, check the site and drive off - usually nobody can even get close to the car in those short moments where you are vulnerable. It might actually be more rewarding to just sit inside a chopper or camp it, just to wait for the loot to "come to you" ;) But that's boring and not how I'd want to play. I don't always know if people have been at the crashsites and just dropped their shit, or if that stuff is supposed to spawn there (cans/sardines, civilian clothes...) It seems odd how often I found civilian stuff around the choppers, if you take into account that stuff despawns after half an hour. Probably someone was there, but then again there often was some pretty good loot left; either respawned or too much to carry for the scavenger before me, I guess.

has anyone else noticed the red boonie hats are labelled 'orange boonie' now?

are fires not lasting as long as in the past? even with logs on the fire i could only cook one steak  be fore the fire went out ? 

Edited by green_mtn_grandbob

Thanks, I never thought of that.

Yeah, the black spraypaint helps bipods stick to the handrail by acting as a glue. You have to attach the bipod quickly, though, or it will not stick. You also cannot use green spraypaint as it doesn;t have the same bonding properties as black spraypaint. It's all very scientific.

• Like 3

Everyone happy with the stable? Did cars get fixed somewhat or are they still a sliding mess? Fitting with the season perhaps, but I really hope, that and syncing vehicles is on the bucket list, next. 

I'm liking this patch a lot so far, so much more playable now that I have zombies to entertain me in between PvP sessions. Vehicles seem to be working better just recently, because about a week ago I couldn't drive a sedan 10 feet without it sliding out with 3 pristine tires, but just a couple days ago I was able to drive one to my base while missing 1 tire and having 1 flat tire!

• Like 1

Are the Christmas trees still in game? And what area would one go to, in order to find one?

I played a little yesterday, and I forgot how stunningly good the distance looks now with all the mist and fog. However, I get really annoying near-distance texture and LOD-changes, which often amounts to my image flickering. I guess it is for performance reason that models change from butt-ugly lowres to high quality, only when you are really close now.

I also had quite a few of those strange lags where the character just freezes for a split-second. It's not very relaxing to play like that, but maybe the server was overtaxed and needed a restart. 

Edited by S3V3N

Also, I'm really getting frustrated with having a sedan that I'm trying to keep. I have crashed it 3 times so far and EVERYTIME I try to search for wheels, I find enough bus wheels for 4 buses and enough offroad wheels for 4 hatchbacks, before I find a single damn sedan wheel. I have definitely spent more time maintaining the car than the time the car has saved me by traveling places. 

I can sympathize.  Especially so, because I detest using roads.  I do a lot of running down new wheels. The trick is to have one or two of each vehicle, so you are never wasting effort, only saving spares for later.  I believe the phenomenon you mention can be referred to as Murphy's Law of DayZ Loot Exclusion.  I recommend trying to trick the game into thinking you are looking for bus wheels; you'll be tripping over sedan wheels.

• Like 1

are fires not lasting as long as in the past? even with logs on the fire i could only cook one steak  be fore the fire went out ? 

have you made sure that you are placing the fuel in the attachment slots, rather than the cargo slots?  I recently discovered that I had been doing it wrong for quite some time.

Ahh Dayz! Makes all my wishes come true! First I find a Glock in the first police station I enter (actually 2), and saw the Christmas tree right in front of the police station:

2015-12-28_00001_zpsevarhdkq.jpg

Then I looted the town, looking for food and tents (of course - it's me, hehheh!). There was also another guy in the apartment houses there, but people really sometimes don't want to use VOIP. I told him I have no time to deal with his sneaky antics - I could hear his steps on the wood floor above me. I just picked up the tent, made camp and returned to the police station. The doors I had closed were open, and I can never tell if they reset automatically, but since an MP5 + the 2nd Glock I saw there earlier was missing, I assumed that sneaky dude made his way there, shortly after me. I found 2 Glock Mags however. Lovely sights, especially at night!

I then waited for the tree to turn on and it got pretty dark before I had to log off. Do you need to attach a battery or something? I found no way to manually turn them on and wonder if maybe they don't work any more. Can you turn the trees on and off, or do they switch on automatically? I thought it was dark enough and should have lit up by then.

not dark enough:

2015-12-28_00002_zpsju8esfei.jpg

dark enough, but no light:

2015-12-28_00005_zpsp5um3q6q.jpg

Nothing really unbalanced about not being aware of your surroundings and getting killed by a freshie. Just because you have a gun doesn't mean you are invincible. I've never had a problem of switching weapons and my guy stops. If you are running, he should do it on the move. If you are running while using your hotkey and your guy stops, report it.

Nothing really unbalanced about not being aware of your surroundings and getting killed by a freshie. Just because you have a gun doesn't mean you are invincible. I've never had a problem of switching weapons and my guy stops. If you are running, he should do it on the move. If you are running while using your hotkey and your guy stops, report it.

What's unbalanced is how we were knocked out by a STICK in one hit.

• Like 2

Yea I have to agree , unconscious rates are wayyyy too high for certain melee weapons (guys have been knocking me unconscious in one hit with the crowbar , regardless of head hits or not !) on this certain patch ... Funny thing is .58 didn't seem to be this way .. I agree certain weapons should be a guaranteed knockout in the head like the sledhammer , but for a crowbar (and in some cases just fresh spawn fists) to knock someone out reliably when you're randomly swinging it at someone doesn't make sense . There should be a clean head shot to knock someone out and lately I've been seeing people get knocked out with crowbars to the crotch , and yet three shotgun blasts or a whole clip of the RAK won't even break a bone on someone .

Certain items like the stick and crowbar need to be looked at and brought back to better values , make it so face shots have a small percentage to knock out , but back of the head shots have almost a 50% chance to Knockout , that would make sense and have less randomness in melee fights .

• Like 2

What's unbalanced is how we were knocked out by a STICK in one hit.

Were you wearing helmets?

Yeah a stick should have a fairly low chance of knocking someone out, even without a helmet.

Still, I see geared players not wearing helmets in favour of berets and stuff every now and then. I guess it's for quick identification of teammates, but without a helmet a bambi could sneak up and knock you out with their bare fists.

Hopefully we will have more colourful paint options in the future and we can have the best of both worlds. 

I think the devs mentioned a new damage system a few weeks ago. Lets hope that this will come with the new character controller. This shock and blood system feels way too clonky.

• Like 1

Punches to the kidney can knock people out, so I can see fists or any other kind of swung weapon doing the same thing. If you brain anyone with a solid melee wep, it should have a good chance to kill. 

Cooking pots appear as empty vessels and can't be picked up - only emptied..

I ate a can of tactical bacon and it didn't drop any empty tin can or put one in my inv - not sure how else to boil water lol..