boneboys

Exp Update: 0.59 (+hotfix).

Was as well hoping for desync and maybe some performance fixes, but at  the moment performance is absolutely crashing in towns (15-20fps) and in the woods i'm not getting more than 70fps compared to 40-60 in towns and 100+ outside. 

We have server performance (apples) and client performance (oranges). While they are linked, they are two very different things.

A couple of builds ago, the devs were lucky to get 20fps out of the servers, with frequent dips into the teens. IIR, Eugen said that they were now hitting 35fps, even with 1k zeds and 75-slot servers in the game. That's a huge improvement!

While server performance can certainly affect client fps, we're not going to see any substantial increase on the client side, until the character controller and the renderer are replaced. Once they are in-game and functioning correctly, then the fine tuning (A.K.A. optimization) can begin. If the current engine modules could be optimized to the point that we would see acceptable performance, there would have been no need to rewrite / replace all of them. The truth is that this old tech is simply not up to the task, which is why the colossal engine re-write project was initiated in the first place. Since there is no more blood to squeeze out of those particular turnips, spending more time on them, in an effort to improve client fps is just a waste of time.

• Like 5

Junior helped me test the new flashbang grenades today, didn't tell him what or that he was testing something for full effect.

You make me want to have kids  :lol:

Apparently NewEgg ships out of New Jersey so 4-7 day shipping was basically overnight.

I'm in central PA, and even I get stuff overnight from them sometimes via the "4-7 day shipping." It's freaking awesome haha.

Wish I could have been there for those zombies!

Booo... I am finding it hard to see the point of loot hoarding on EXP.

As a matter of fact, it helps the testing process. Anything that stresses the game out now, in the alpha stage, is a good thing -- it means we can fix it now (or figure out how to fix it at least) so that it isn't an issue in the final product. Camps, especially ones with many tents and tons of items, are a great way of stressing out the game in a number of different ways.

• Like 5

I know, but I'm referring to client performance and the need for it to be addressed not based on stage of development, alpha or beta, but as soon as possible. I'm also asking if that's possible.

No, it is not possible, with the game engine as it is configured in 0.59. New tech (engine modules) is necessary, in order to achieve acceptable performance.

• Like 1

I don't agree. Shouldn't there be an advantage to using cargo pants vs. regular jeans, just like there is in real life? Pockets I mean, obviously.

Same thing goes for jackets vs. plain t-shirt, and outer pockets on backpacks.

What doesn't make sense is having 10 hotbar slots when you're in the nude with just a children's backpack on.

If they ever go towards animating backpack access (meaning you are forced to stop if you want to take/put stuff in it) it makes perfect sense, your choice of clothing is even more important. You can have, p.ex., a small backpack that gives you a lot of hotbar slots or vice-versa.

More things for you to consider is a step in the right direction for me.

First of all, no one likes change. But, on reflection I think the new hot bar functionality makes sense, if you understand that the hotbar slots represent your easily accessible pockets. Sure, it doesn't make sense that you could put a Mosin, or a pick ax in your pockets, but since these are slung on your shoulders, aren't those items just as quickly accessible as the items in our pockets? Conversely, it doesn't make sense that I can have quick access to a compass, which is buried at the bottom of a mountain pack.

Perhaps the new user interface will provide us with a better representation of this hotbar slot relationship, but for the time being, I think it is a matter of perspective. Don't think of it as loosing quick access to all and sundry. Look at it as a way to quickly access those items which are ... er ... quickly accessible. If you only have a pair of jeans and a t-shirt, does it really make sense that we should have quick access to ten items (A.K.A. ten hotbar slots)? I think not.

EDIT:

I wonder if the devs will take the next logical step and restrict hotbar items to only that gear which actually resides in our pockets (and shoulders), of if they will figure that is too restrictive for fun gameplay.

EDIT2:

i think it would be cool if the items in our pockets (and shoulders) automatically populated the hotbar slots, but we had the ability to drag and drop the slots into the order that we prefer.

Edited by BleedoutBill
  • Like 4

I don't agree. Shouldn't there be an advantage to using cargo pants vs. regular jeans, just like there is in real life? Pockets I mean, obviously.

Yes, and... pockets... so? You do gain an advantage wearing cargo pants... more pockets. What's your point? You can't have more things in your hotbar than you have space, so, it's already limited by storage capacity.

You can't quickly access the outer pockets of a backpack without taking it off first. If, until they come up with an animation for taking off your backpack, they require you to go into inventory for backpack items and don't allow them to be on the hotbar, that's cool. I hope they do eventually add an animation like that.

Point is, I can quickly and fairly easily reach into pockets, unsling a rifle or axe from my back, or pull a rifle from a holster while I'm running, so there's no reason not to allow those items into the hotbar. Things in cases, bags, boxes, and backpacks... not so much.

What doesn't make sense is having 10 hotbar slots when you're in the nude with just a children's backpack on.

Which is why I said I'm cool with not allowing backpack, case and bag items in the hotbar. What were you not agreeing with?

If I have a pair of jeans with four slots, a striped shirt with four storage slots, a rifle and an axe, I should have 10 hotbar slots. But most importantly, I should be able to configure the hotbar the way I want it. If I want three things in the hotbar, but I want them on 1,2 and 0, I should be able to do that.

Edited by entspeak
  • Like 1

No, it is not possible, with the game engine as it is configured in 0.59. New tech (engine modules) is necessary, in order to achieve acceptable performance.

I know this. I'm talking about as the new engine is implemented. My understanding is that starts in alpha.

I just ran into something weird and I'm going to go out on a limb and call it a bug. I had my trusty sledge assigned to hotbar slot #1. I hit #1 and I didn't get immediate gratification, so, being in an impatient mood tonight, I spammed #1. My character finally grabbed the sledge, but it looked like he was holding it upside down, with the head near my feet. Normally, you can see the head of the sledge at the bottom of the screen while walking, but I couldn't see the sledge at all, without staring at my feet.

He would swing it while I walked and hold it over my head (spacebar) but he wouldn't put it away, nor would he allow me to select a different item, either by toggling hotbar slot #1, hitting the red "X", selecting another hotbar slot #, or dragging and dropping something else into my hands. I had to re-log.

• Like 2

HzNPZ7F.jpg

Are these new? Don't remember ever seeing one

TAImMam.jpg

Edited by SkeezerNJ
  • Like 8

I'm having trouble with radio comms. When the radio is turned on, all I can ever hear is pieces of words that gets cut off. For example: I'm running in Berezino with my radio set in the default channel. Every 5-10 minutes I might get a "Hello, I...", "Wha...", and stuff like that, but I've yet to hear a full sentence. Any idea what might cause this?

Yesterday while playing I was running along the coast with my radio turned on to I believe it was 91.3 and I was able to hear another player's entire broadcast so the person might've been near by. It would make sense that the further you are away from someone the more noise would interfere with the transmission causing you to only get bits and pieces of what someone is saying. There's a bug that's been reported that allows you to hear others over the radio, but they won't be able to hear you so that might be the cause of why nobody was able to hear you.

Love it.

My Monty Python and the Holy Grail fantasies can now come true.

Im still waiting for the holy hand grenade.  :P

• Like 7

Junior helped me test the new flashbang grenades today, didn't tell him what or that he was testing something for full effect. We'd split up looting Kami and I called him over to the police station to see something interesting. I pulled the pin at the top of the stairs and waited for his footsteps and threw it down the stairs. He was full blind and deaf for 20-30 seconds, I turned my back until I heard it and just had mild background ringing for a few seconds. They're going to be really fun and useful offensively and defensively. 

I split up the four flashbangs we had at camp with a friend yesterday. We needed space and wanted to test them out, too. By coincidence, I gave him the two damaged ones, while I had the luck of having the worns. I showed him how to use them (it was daytime), I heard the loud bang and was satisfied. He did the same - nothing happened. He tried again with the second nade - nothing happened. He said: this isn't working. 

So I threw my other nade - bang again - both of us heard it. Just when he was blaming himself about being too stupid to unpin and throw a grenade, it dawned on us that I must have given him damaged ones. If you find flashbangs/grenades, you might wanna check their status. The smoke grenades I popped all worked. It looks awesome when you put them in your backpack, smoke from the behind. We both pretended to be motorcycles and made engine noises in direct yesterday, as we ran straight through Zelenogorsk. Magically, nobody was there to shoot us :)

Edited by S3V3N
  • Like 4

My first character on the new exp, I am running around Elektro trying to loot up while hearing gunshots all around me. I go by police station and notice there is an at least semi-geared guy on top of hospital. He was locked in the "climbing" animation so I couldn't tell what he was on about. Right as my finger was hovering over Caps Lock, he shot and killed me. >:( So getting stuck in the climbing animation is still a thing, and I have seen TONS of standing dead bodies lol (embarrassed myself a few times shooting/hitting them several times before realizing this). Overall I am really enjoying this new update. Still eager for an answer if anyone else is having a weird aspect ratio... 

Heads up!  USE EXTREME CAUTION .  Be wicked careful when trying to chuck the NATO Explosive Grenade, I was shot at so I ran off about 10 meters and  then tried to throw one back the way the fire had came from instead of wasting ammo on suppressive fire.  Apparently the grenade just hung in the air where I threw it from and damn near blew me up.  Luckily I had turned away and was running but it did ruin my boots, damage my pants and everything in them including a pristine ACOG I had just found.  Have not had this issue with the RDG-5, the RDG-5 deployed correctly when I threw one into a barn to clear it, only issue was with the NATO grenade.

Just love the new smoke sticks, threw one of those in my direction of travel to cover my withdrawal and it popped just right.  Made it away from the shooter but he chased me quite awhile, in the end I fired back anyway, after that he finally broke contact.

edit, Had to run quite a ways in my ruined boots, vision eventually got all blurry from the pain (I guess?) as I wasn't bleeding at all.  Used a morphine after I found some new boots but it didn't do shit to clear up my vision.  Is that a bug?

Edited by Barnabus
  • Like 2

Heads up!  USE EXTREME CAUTION .  -snip-  Have not had this issue with the RDG-5, the RDG-5 deployed correctly when I threw one into a barn to clear it, only issue was with the NATO grenade.

I've had this issue with both of the 2 different smoke grenades.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As a lefty, I would like the option to bind the hotbar to the Numpad on the right of the arrow keys I use to maneuver.

Thank you.

• Like 3

If anybody is having trouble with CONSTANT FREEZING to the point of having zero fps in towns for minutes straight like I did (and you have a friend in the same city without these problems) it could be your config file . after this update , myconfig file was set all wonky causing my game to be very weird , I deleted the config file and jumped in game again , It created a new config file on startup and now I don't get the freezes as constant and a solid 20-30 fps like before . Try it and see if it helps !

So, if I delete the Dayz.cfg file and start up DayZ again, it'll just replace the file with a default one? I want to try this, it seems useful.

Logged in Monday and within 5 minutes I had someone shooting at me. Same thing Tuesday. Managed to get away both times but it sure sets the tone for a session. It must be pretty easy for these KOS twerps to get their kill-thrills when other players are occupied figuring out the new content.

Yeah it's pretty fucking frustrating. I've had some of the best times doin random stuff with random people on exp, and the first player interaction I had on this was someone shooting my freshie ass on sight. DW though, I'm sure if you keep talking to people you run into,  at least some are bound to return the favor.

I've had this issue with both of the 2 different smoke grenades.

Heh, that's not nearly as dangerous, although IRL I once got a lung full of HC from a smoke pot once, took my ass right out of the fight, I could not breath right for about 20 minutes.  Seriously, If my character had not been running the other direction he would have bought it.

• Like 1

How is the persistence currently with the 0.59 exp? Additional question would also be if the listing inside the spoiler from 23rd of October 2015 is still valid for the current experimental branch:

The only items that are persistent are tents (civilian, army and car tent), barrels, protector cases and ammo boxes (they will last for 45 days).

Backpacks will last 4 hours (except improvised which last 1 hour only).

Trucks are persistent as well, unless they get destroyed, then they will re-spawn at a random location

All other items will de-spawn after 30 minutes.

Experimental brought the wardrobes as containers: should these already have persistence (or will, in the future) so players could occupy a house and use its wardrobe(s) to stash their loot for extended periods?

Another question regarding persistence is "locking" the doors with the lockpick. Is there a timeout for the doors in locked state to unlock on their own or do those possibly return their state back to unlocked after server restart or possible server crash?

Why I am asking all of this?

Yesterday I wanted to test the persistence for locked doors and a wardrobe. I stashed a weapon inside one wardrobe (through the player interaction menu) and locked two doors leading to the room with the wardrobe.

Coming back today after some 11 hours, both doors were unlocked and the wardrobe was empty.

The thing with this is now only that I don't know if the doors were unlocked by another player and the weapon looted from the wardrobe or were they gone just because their state did not persist.

If possible I'd like to hear opinions/facts about the current persistence with the 0.59 exp.

In other news:

• server performance with 75 players online on the DayZ DE 0-2 (Experimental/Unstable) has been satisfactory even with the occasional disconnects (= No message received). Even if (to some) the disconnects might seem too frequent it helps a lot that even if the player has to connect again the world state is the same it was when the game had abruptly disconnected. The world holds the same loot (you might have just passed by earlier), the same weather, same time of the day and so on to basically continue from where you left. Basically, immersion doesn't get broken!
  • although there could be more infected around. Not necessarily in the smallest villages, but e.g. yesterday I was roaming through Novaya Petrovka and all the time I was hoping that there would be at least some for a town of that size.
  • loot distribution is nice (can't find any better way to put it lol). Or should I put it that it feels well balanced.
Edited by Guest

... and coconuts!

While we are on the subject, we need that killer bunny to live in the woods and fields too. What else would you use the holy hand grenade on?

• Like 2

I found a barrel in Kamensk town and scurried into the nearby woods.

The cookpot wouldn't attach to the barrel, it kept ending up in it's inventory.

I left it there just to test, but it ruined the pot.

dOyZLJ0.jpg

I didnt get it, I made things to complicated. I craftet a fireplacekit and threw it into the barrel. But everytime I tried to light it up, the message appears "You need some kindle to light the fire up" 

edit: I know now, I only need to put the stuff directly into the barrel... ^^

Maybe it would be great to add some categories to campfires ( and maybe vehicles too) so you always know where to put what? Maybe something like that:

mNjkldt.jpg

Edited by imun
  • Like 4

Can we get a bit of clarification on this. Only because I feel like DayZ is a special case in terms of optimization. I don't know many other early access games I've played where I get motion sickness from playing because the frames get so low. I literally get headaches and sometimes nausea from it. I remember when minecraft first came out there were occasional issues with it and it was basically fixed in a patch (think it was actually a memory leak causing the performance issues). Obviously that's a much different case but the point is I guess I've never heard of "optimization" referring to achieving an acceptable amount of frames. Even the word itself suggests almost a maximization or setting some sort of benchmark to hit. Optimal means best or most favourable. I wouldn't consider trying to accomplish 30FPS in cities consistently an optimization, that should be a starting point. Actually, any number that doesn't cause motion sickness would be nice.

My basic understanding of the situation is that DayZ is running on an engine that isn't designed to do what it's being asked to do. Shouldn't the new engine, if we see it in alpha, provide some basic relief from those issues and raise performance to a starting point from which to optimize? Perhaps that's why you're saying the "heavy work" won't start until beta, which is understandable. But I definitely don't expect beta to begin until next summer or even autumn at the earliest (based on the current pace I'm not getting optimistic), it would be nice to play before then.

Well, work is already being conducted in terms of raising performance: http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/229901-status-report-30-oct-2015

However, I don't think you should expect full-on optimization work before Beta.

• Like 1

Can we get a bit of clarification on this. Only because I feel like DayZ is a special case in terms of optimization. I don't know many other early access games I've played where I get motion sickness from playing because the frames get so low. I literally get headaches and sometimes nausea from it.

Have you tried disabling head bob and motion blur?

• Like 2

There already is an advantage in every one of those examples, they all have more inventory.   And if having 10 inventory slots while naked doesn't make sense I guess you missed you're playing in a made up country going thru a zombie apocalypse or the fact you can magically heal broken bones with a stick and a torn up shirt.   The hot bar is a quality of life feature and as such it doesn't need to be screwed with.  If they want to fix anything with it, fix the god damn input lag it suffers from...

How is the persistence currently with the 0.59 exp? Additional question would also be if the listing inside the spoiler from 23rd of October 2015 is still valid for the current experimental branch:

Experimental brought the wardrobes as containers: should these already have persistence (or will, in the future) so players could occupy a house and use its wardrobe(s) to stash their loot for extended periods?

Another question regarding persistence is "locking" the doors with the lockpick. Is there a timeout for the doors in locked state to unlock on their own or do those possibly return their state back to unlocked after server restart or possible server crash?

Why I am asking all of this?

Yesterday I wanted to test the persistence for locked doors and a wardrobe. I stashed a weapon inside one wardrobe (through the player interaction menu) and locked two doors leading to the room with the wardrobe.

Coming back today after some 11 hours, both doors were unlocked and the wardrobe was empty.

The thing with this is now only that I don't know if the doors were unlocked by another player and the weapon looted from the wardrobe or were they gone just because their state did not persist.

If possible I'd like to hear opinions/facts about the current persistence with the 0.59 exp.

In other news:

• server performance with 75 players online on the DayZ DE 0-2 (Experimental/Unstable) has been satisfactory even with the occasional disconnects (= No message received). Even if (to some) the disconnects might seem too frequent it helps a lot that even if the player has to connect again the world state is the same it was when the game had abruptly disconnected. The world holds the same loot (you might have just passed by earlier), the same weather, same time of the day and so on to basically continue from where you left. Basically, immersion doesn't get broken!
  • although there could be more infected around. Not necessarily in the smallest villages, but e.g. yesterday I was roaming through Novaya Petrovka and all the time I was hoping that there would be at least some for a town of that size.
  • loot distribution is nice (can't find any better way to put it lol). Or should I put it that it feels well balanced.

Busting through a locked door is pretty easy.  All you have to do is hit it with an axe a couple of times and it pops right open. Hell, you can even punch them open.  Anyone with a lock pick can open it too. 

• Like 5