kichilron

Exp Update: 0.58 + Hot Fix.

I haven't been able to find more netting yet to try it but now that the netting and wire fishtrap degrades properly is there a way to fix it? I was going to try duct tape if I get a chance, I'm also scared to see if it'll still consume a whole stack of netting trying to make it now that netting is rare again. The first one I made when you could find 4+ netting at every boat didn't so when they fixed being able to use it while ruined they broke making it. 

It would certainly make sense to me that you could repair it in some way, but I doubt it has been implemented. At the very least, I would think the metal wire could be re-used and maybe new netting would have to be added once in a while. How many uses can you get out of a pristine trap?

-snip-

Did anyone else follow the line of responses from him after that tweet? What are those guys smoking over there?

Brian: Exp Servers will now restart ever 12 hours, instead of 4.

Some Random Asshole: What about loot spawn??

Brian: Hasn't been tied directly to server restart in almost a year. Restarts were never for loot, always for perf.

Some Other Random Asshole: Why?

Brian: Because?

Some 3rd Asshole: Whaaat, they can handle it that long??

Brian: Baby I can handle it as long as you need me to

LMAO!

• Like 10

It would certainly make sense to me that you could repair it in some way, but I doubt it has been implemented. At the very least, I would think the metal wire could be re-used and maybe new netting would have to be added once in a while. How many uses can you get out of a pristine trap?

Seemed like about three uses, was already pissed about it eating the netting I had slated for gunwraps and a hood and figured catching a million fish with it would soften the blow. Having worked with all types of netting in my last job I would think either rope or a leather sewing kit would make sense to me as the proper repair materials.

Did anyone else follow the line of responses from him after that tweet? What are those guys smoking over there?

Brian: Hasn't been tied directly to server restart in almost a year. Restarts were never for loot, always for perf.

LMAO!

Yeah and...

"Because DayZ" 

Like my go to answer "because fuck you, that's why".

• Like 1

Yeah and...

"Because DayZ" 

Like my go to answer "because fuck you, that's why".

I have never seen a dev be more effective at handling assholes than Brian Hicks. He manages to say fuck you without saying it. I'm pretty sure it's because he is cut from the same cloth, which is not to say that I think that he is an ass, but that I think he understands the current mainstream gamer psyche and how to handle them from his days as an Ultima Online player and a streamer.

• Like 8

Managed to go up north to where the bugged patch of missing texture, or "snow", is and take some shots before it's gone. Even though it's just a bug, it somewhat looks like snow so I had to go and check it out for myself.  ;)

I was so excited when I saw the Namalsk screenshot with the Stand Alone engine in the status report, so I'm really hoping we eventually see snow in Chernarus+, Namalsk, or any modded maps with snow really.

izny8i.jpg

eaimon.jpg

2a2qt0.jpg

2ueny0w.jpg

33v28zq.jpg

• Like 3

I have never seen a dev be more effective at handling assholes than Brian Hicks. He manages to say fuck you without saying it. I'm pretty sure it's because he is cut from the same cloth, which is not to say that I think that he is an ass, but that I think he understands the current mainstream gamer psyche and how to handle them from his days as an Ultima Online player and a streamer.

I much prefer it to a lying PR person who just answers stupid questions in a "customer is always right" manner to make them feel less stupid. From my recent experiences I will shy away from games who use "personalities" as a buffer between the players and the people actually doing the work and what they're actually capable of.

Some might be put off by an attitude like that but I think it's a sign they might actually make something different for people who want a game that's different. Most games these days are like going from McDonalds to McDonalds expecting diversity in the BigMacs.

I love  driving at night.  Does anyone else always make sure they're going full speed over the wooden bridge at Kamensk?  Saw a whole venison freezer here:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=485226016

Once they have vehicles worked out, if you need tools to make your truck run, then the cargo will have to be substantially bigger to make it a decent payoff.  The V3S currently holds slightly more than I can carry on my body in real life.  Right now, you can carry way more on you than you can fit in a truck.  The truck should be a huge cargo hauler - probably 3-4x what it is now.

Edited by Thurman Merman
  • Like 4

I figured I'd finish my landmine testing on the kids account before I logged in to play and it went about how I expected. Last night I placed a pristine mine, disarmed it and picked it up, works just like Fallout3 or NV for example. Logged in and first checked the condition of the mine and after one arm and disarm had degraded it to worn condition. Placed and armed the worn mine, backed away for a ten count and crept forward to disarm it again, picked it up and it's now badly damaged it skipped damaged. Placed and armed it a third time as I've read reports of accidental detonations at damaged or worse clenched my teeth as I armed it but it armed and I backed away again. I disarmed and picked it up the third time and it's now ruined.

Silly me didn't try and place it or interact with it in a ruined state but I think I get the idea on how it works. 

• Like 7

Well, that's it for today's session. I will leave you with the screenshots I have made.

As usual it involves killing wildlife, some scenery and finally found my Hunting Jacket Spring! Almost done with my fashionable outfit. :D

Can't stop laughing my ass because of the billboard by the way. :lol:

OD9Xjxx.jpg

nXIh6O7.jpg

0YJSzUR.jpg

ntXXKgJ.jpg

ItCwK0N.jpg

TtPOhva.jpg

9riMxfm.jpg

i1kknpz.jpg

Edited by IMT
  • Like 6

Well, that's it for today's session. I will leave you with the screenshots I have made.

As usual it involves killing wildlife, some scenery and finally found my Hunting Jacket Spring! Almost done with my fashionable outfit. :D

Can't stop laughing my ass because of the billboard by the way. :lol:

OD9Xjxx.jpg

nXIh6O7.jpg

0YJSzUR.jpg

ntXXKgJ.jpg

ItCwK0N.jpg

TtPOhva.jpg

9riMxfm.jpg

i1kknpz.jpg

More great deer pics yet I've been actively searching for days with no luck. I was wondering with the sightings of deer up north are they roaming or following big paths rather than spawning and sticking inside a sort of wander radius?

I'm personally fond of the darker green spring hunter gear, never seen the jacket though.

The smoking lady bill board got me the other day, I really wanted a smoke.  

any modded maps with snow really.

My map mod is going to be set in a place inspired by Colorado Springs. I have begun the design docs for it.

• Like 6

LMAO!

Ok...so while I'm laughing with the rest of you at this, I realized that I have been going on the assumption that Loot actually WAS still reset on server restarts.....OOPs!

So....give me the short and sweet on what happens now. Last I heard they were working on the CLE spawning loot randomly as long as a player was not in the near vicinity. Does this happen now? or is it more like a limit being reached and then a batch respawn takes place?

Quite honestly...playing as long as I have... I don't think I have ever noticed a loot "renewal" in person.

Thanks.

Ok...so while I'm laughing with the rest of you at this, I realized that I have been going on the assumption that Loot actually WAS still reset on server restarts.....OOPs!

So....give me the short and sweet on what happens now. Last I heard they were working on the CLE spawning loot randomly as long as a player was not in the near vicinity. Does this happen now? or is it more like a limit being reached and then a batch respawn takes place?

Quite honestly...playing as long as I have... I don't think I have ever noticed a loot "renewal" in person.

Thanks.

It's actually been respawning real-time between restarts fo quite awhile just not as intended. I think it was in .54 looting the loot pukes in the military prisons with my son and I saw new stuff spawning as he picked things up. Not sure how its working now or even how its supposed to but it does happen.

It's actually been respawning real-time between restarts fo quite awhile just not as intended. I think it was in .54 looting the loot pukes in the military prisons with my son and I saw new stuff spawning as he picked things up. Not sure how its working now or even how its supposed to but it does happen.

Thanks....Yeah...figured it might be doing it this way.

Going to spend the evening camping a Guard House to see.

In one of the big Status Updates (or maybe it was the 2015 roadmap) they talked about sorting out what gets cleaned up and what doesn't with persistence and item degradation being the caveats.

Just for giggles...my OCD focus will be the hunt to physically SEE an item appear!

Thanks....Yeah...figured it might be doing it this way.

Going to spend the evening camping a Guard House to see.

In one of the big Status Updates (or maybe it was the 2015 roadmap) they talked about sorting out what gets cleaned up and what doesn't with persistence and item degradation being the caveats.

Just for giggles...my OCD focus will be the hunt to physically SEE an item appear!

The times I've seen it I didn't have a line of sight to the area where the item being replaced was picked up. I have two computers an can see both screens, replicating it solo might be impossible and I think a lootgasm is required to have it happen in a small area.

Pick axe worked just fine for me. You don't mine like cliff walls and such, you're looking for little boulders that are in the ground. I walked around for 15 minutes before I found one, but they are there. The best way to describe it, it looks like a boulder that's in the ground with just the top sticking out

These... which btw after mining 8 of them, then 3 planting beds, my pickaxe was ruined.

5wXzD7v.jpg

Pick axe worked just fine for me. You don't mine like cliff walls and such, you're looking for little boulders that are in the ground. I walked around for 15 minutes before I found one, but they are there. The best way to describe it, it looks like a boulder that's in the ground with just the top sticking out

• Like 1

Parking still available... bring a bedroll though if you're staying, ground is a bit hard.

tTRe44f.jpg

• Like 10

Some SteamDB activity this afternoon and now some a couple hours ago....

:ph34r:

Some SteamDB activity this afternoon and now some a couple hours ago....

:ph34r:

All internal builds, but I'm hoping we get a release candidate on Exp tomorrow! (even though I won't have time to play it :()

• Like 3

Still laughing at that billboard, no better way to begin the day. The faces of the 2 kids is just priceless.

More great deer pics yet I've been actively searching for days with no luck. I was wondering with the sightings of deer up north are they roaming or following big paths rather than spawning and sticking inside a sort of wander radius?

I'm personally fond of the darker green spring hunter gear, never seen the jacket though.

The smoking lady bill board got me the other day, I really wanted a smoke.

Just like players, I encounter them randomly. The difference is that I encounter the deer a lot more than players. :)

And trust me, I've been looking from south to north for this Hunter Jacket.

• Like 1

When I log off to the main menu screen, I'm getting some weird beeping noise. Anyone else hear that every now and then? I've never heard it before until yesterday I believe.

My journey took me to the west side of the map. On NE-01 I found a military tent in the middle of some pine trees sw of Zelenegorsk - almost didn't see it it was so dark. Someone was stashing some ak74 and sks ammo and a jacket. I left a magnum and speed loader as a present for them hoping that they wouldn't use it to shoot me later. :) If there was food in there I would've taken it but I left everything alone in there. Wished I had a pen to leave a note.

I was thinking overheating wasn't having an effect on me but it seems it dehydrates you much quicker.

Went north to find the "snow" patch, mainly to look at how footprints worked in it. They basically lasted a little more than the ones you leave on the road. 

On the way there (at the far NW corner near that one house next to a pond) a doe jumped out in front of me from behind a tree and scared me - I peed a little. I thought someone was jumping out to shoot me. She got away but I found her bo chillin in the pond. I got out my telephoto lens ;) and shot some pictures. :D He was beautiful and delicious. 

2015-07-20_00015.jpg

Campfire in the "snow" reminds me of snowmobiling as a teenager. I know it's a bug and not snow but let me live a little, alright? :) I should photoshop a Ski-doo in there. 

2015-07-21_00001.jpg

• Like 9

When I log off to the main menu screen, I'm getting some weird beeping noise. Anyone else hear that every now and then? I've never heard it before until yesterday I believe.

I was getting that tonight as well.

I was getting that tonight as well.

It's your computer ringing it's bell. It has a little beeper on the motherboard which dings for certain kinds of errors happen. (this may happen through your speakers now-a-days, but in olden times the sound would come from the computer itself!)

Edited by FlimFlamm
  • Like 1