Sign in to follow this  
Baker.

Stop telling folks to take a break.

I see this a lot, dude comes on the forums whines about alpha, then folks tell him to "take a break", "come back in a year".

We should probably be telling people to play the mod. The mod is polished and wonderful, anyone who has issues with the SA in its current state would surely love the DayZ mod. Granted there are folks that have run that course and came to SA from the mod and are burnt out on it. But there are lots of people who have yet to experience the joy of vehicles, satchel charges, nvg's, DMR's, stashes, infected survivor camps, fence crafting, helicopters just to name a few things.

Another huge plus is the north is BARREN, the new towns are nice but there is something to be said for the vast wilderness of northern vanilla Chernarus.

• Like 1

I see this a lot, dude comes on the forums whines about alpha, then folks tell him to "take a break", "come back in a year".

We should probably be telling people to play the mod. The mod is polished and wonderful, anyone who has issues with the SA in its current state would surely love the DayZ mod. Granted there are folks that have run that course and came to SA from the mod and are burnt out on it. But there are lots of people who have yet to experience the joy of vehicles, satchel charges, nvg's, DMR's, stashes, infected survivor camps, fence crafting, helicopters just to name a few things.

Another huge plus is the north is BARREN, the new towns are nice but there is something to be said for the vast wilderness of northern vanilla Chernarus.

It also depends on the type of person. Some people don't like going back in time like that. I personally stopped playing the mod when standalone came out. Considered playing it a time or two but never ended up doing so.

• Like 3

Oh come on now, you're just trolling

I remember before DayZ came out everyone complained about how crappy the mod was and thought the standalone would fix it. Now everyone's acting like the mod is the best thing ever made. In my opinion they are both broken pieces of crap , but only one of them has potential. Not saying they aren't good games, though.

• Like 2

If they start on SA, and get used to it, the mod will be a drastic change in gameplay and they probably won't like it. It's also not really polished up, the mod also has a shit ton of bugs and stuff and for a lot of people it's too much of a hassle dealing with buying Arma and OA, and then trying to install a mod. However, I personally had a lot of fun on the mod, and would only recommend the mod to a complainer of SA if they wanted a decent zombie experience, rather than a polished up beautiful game. :P

Edited by Zedertone
  • Like 1

I remember before DayZ came out everyone complained about how crappy the mod was and thought the standalone would fix it. 

That's not true, though. You're mixing things up.

What the problem with the mod is / was that it's restricted to being a mod for ARMA 2 and thus there's certain things it can't do. Doesn't mean that it's "crappy".

• Like 4

Yeah, I uninstalled Arma II and its mods a while ago, too. I didn't even want to play Dayz again for a while, because the mods cost so much time, and I played them a lot. However, this problem doesn't occur with the standalone, because the game is simply no fun. I can't even remotely play it like I did the mods. Reasons? Because all the crucial systems to make the SA fun are broken in some way; example:

- shooting: thanks for the desync/lag, devs. Shooting is luck, not skills right now; nice gun model, but where are the firemodes...

- zombies: I think I have never been killed by zombies in Dayz SA, so far. Not something I would dare say about the mods.

- cooperation: no real need to. You can build/use everything alone, except for IV sets. 

- glitched inventory: As long as I lose stuff from my backpack or hands it is very tiresome to go on, hoping to find the same item yet again.

- glitched persistance: If I put something on the ground it should stay there. However, some assets (e.g. jerry cans) even disappeared out of tents and backpacks.

I think the funny thing is none of us realized how well the mod was working, until we tried the standalone. I know that technincally there have been great efforts made to push more functions of the game to serverside and away from clients, in order to make hacking more difficult. I realize this is work that can't even be seen, but was very important. But on the long run, Dayz needs a vision. At the moment it's just a sandbox game with stupid zombies; there is no fun in it, yet. The predator I can remember getting killed by in Dayz the most (90%), is the bug-beast. And the lag-beast. And the restart-beast. 

Dayz's problem is that the prototype was the mod. And the mod works! But the standalone is build completely differently. It never really had a prototype - we are playing the prototype. And despite calling it Alpha and all that, it should really be back to "Pre-Alpha", to before addition of all the content. For all I know we should be working with blockout and placeholder models, now. The databases need to work, the tables, the basic economy and balancing need to work, before adding more content that will need revision with every update. That's the point at which the pre-alpha can turn alpha: AFTER gameplay related functionality has been tested and proven. It's also a lot less work that way. I pity the devs sometimes, but there is an old saying that goes: there is no escape from the hole you've dug yourself into. 

Edited by S3V3N
  • Like 4

Or instead of whining about it they could contribute to the development of the game and report any bugs etc they come across.

• Like 4

I remember before DayZ came out everyone complained about how crappy the mod was and thought the standalone would fix it. 

Nah, that wasnt me.

Despite all the bugs and glitches, I'm actually having fun in DayZ. Sure I get annoyed with the glitchy zombies sometimes. But as I've said before, I've had more problems in some of the betas I've played. That said, I'm sticking around to see where DayZ goes from here.

Some people whine and say, "Stop saying it's still in alpha, that's no excuse. Whaaaaa!!" Well, sorry, but it is in alpha no matter how much that upsets you.

• Like 1

I've been telling people to try Arma3 Epoch, or Arma 3 with mods. Really a sight to see. All for the sake of pvp etc.. not really much anyone can do but loot and kill zombies. Very boring atm. I hope it gets better myself, looking forward to searching through houses, or the woods and a group of bandits come at me.

But you cant force people to play alpha in its current state, if they find it boring then by all means try other games to fill the void until its a more polished game.

Hopefully the Zeds are fixed prior to beta, to a more meaningful spawn.

• Like 1

Old tech > old game > massively flexible > massively vulnerable > near obsolescence > parts of old game > old map > placeholder everything > madhatter says, "change places!" > something never seen or tried before on this scale > open Alpha > tears > profit

• Like 1

played some vanilla mod last night with a few folks that have only played SA and a few vets who havn't played it in months like me. I have to say its changed it runs like a top and looks better and is a lot more difficult i love it the zeds are unforgiving weapons aren't everywhere though not to hard to find and we were always hurt or suffering it took all 5 of us working together to get geared a little. we got lucky and found a car which we fixed and now have a camp it was funny the new folks kept running to buildings in SA and werew like the doors will not open hahaha i was like you can't go in that building haha stuff like that made my day but everyone had fun and are going to keep playing till SA updates or till we get bored which i don't think will happen anytime soon.

• Like 2

The mod was great, it was a new concept but it's passed it now. It was limited in what it could do and one thing people always forget about with the MOD is that the zombies were always crap. Ineffective crap that only caught out the newest of players. A week into the game you would be hard pressed to get killed by zeds (in fact, many many times I'd deliberately run by as many zeds as possible and then play the Benny Hill theme tune through my mic. Oh what fun it was seeing people literally stop in their tracks and flee from me and my horde, running into the middle of Electro and then proceeding to run rings around the zeds (to the point where it looked like I was chasing them!) until some kind player decided to put me out of my misery ).

Yes, zeds were pathetic and they better get them right in DayZ or what's the point?

Um, can you install the mod and the SA at the same time?

You bet

I remember before DayZ came out everyone complained about how crappy the mod was and thought the standalone would fix it. Now everyone's acting like the mod is the best thing ever made. In my opinion they are both broken pieces of crap , but only one of them has potential. Not saying they aren't good games, though.

How can a piece of crap be good?

Well for me , the mod was filled with bugs and glitches and there was nothing to do but search and horde vehicles with your clan while making more similar looking bases all over the place ... Standalone has fixed a lot of game content issues with the mod in the sense of survival , and when base building and barricading are in along with advanced Vehicles , it will be 100X better than what the mod was IMO .. Although I have to say I really enjoy playing dayz origins still , it came close to what standalone is achieving in the sense that survival wasn't easy .

simply because its not crap IMO, you should give it a shot find a vanilla server and welcome death with open arms its a blast.

Zeds unforgiving? Until you run indoors that is.

I have a friend much like you OP and he managed to convince our other friends who have only played the SA to buy the mod.

It got a total of about 3 hrs playtime.

I wouldn't recommend the mod to anyone, it would be a shame to send someone to see the mod to see what WAS a great game but spend another 30bucks or whatever just to see what the Sa used to be like.

Waiting 6-12 months seems like a much more sensible recommendation.

If you're a Dung Beetle, a piece of crap is good. Not just good, it is pretty great. Sometimes it's probably awesome.

So yes, a piece of crap can be good. Like Dayz current state. It is crap, but we all like it so we talk about it and play it.

See? XD

EDIT

I don't actually play Dayz ATM as it really is a piece of crap. But will later when bugs are fixed. A masterpiece it will be.

Edited by Calvin Candie
  • Like 1

I took a bit of a break and played arma3 and sa really suffers in comparison graphically. I cannot imagine the playing an arma2 mod unless I wanted to think sa was beautiful again.

Zeds unforgiving? Until you run indoors that is.

I have a friend much like you OP and he managed to convince our other friends who have only played the SA to buy the mod.

It got a total of about 3 hrs playtime.

I wouldn't recommend the mod to anyone, it would be a shame to send someone to see the mod to see what WAS a great game but spend another 30bucks or whatever just to see what the Sa used to be like.

Waiting 6-12 months seems like a much more sensible recommendation.

I am back into the mod now, loving it, so much more to it now :)

I however wouldn't shout from the rooftops "OMG go and buy Arma 2 /OA at fullprice to get this mod!!1" I would recommend you give it another go if it is in your library though, and maybe recommend a friend to pick up Arma2/OA when they next pop up in steamsales at a heavy discount :)

what I found hardest adapting back to the mod was the inventory/action keys hah 

Edited by wooly-back-jack
  • Like 1

We should probably be telling people to play the mod.

In fact considering it's an Early Access Alpha we should probably tell them to keep whining and reporting issues but stop the unconstructive crying.

And in case of design choices taking a break would probably not work either.

• Like 1

Yeah because constantly telling people they are whining or crying or 'move on to something else" or "the game is not for you play COD" is really, really constructive isn't it?

Rather than just insulting people why not look at what is working in the game, or what to try if you want some fun? The trouble on here is that there is half a dozen players that jump down people's throats every time there's a criticism and that just drives people away. Why? Because they want a fanboy-only version of the game, They are usually backed up by ill-thought out comments put out there by Hicks.

I love the game, Alpha-bollocks and all. I play up north on full pop servers and might not see another player for two hours or so. Usually after that time I know I'm pushing my luck and the anxiety starts to build. My encounters with fellow players who at that point are armed with something is short and bloody - as it would be. Occasionally you meet a friendly, not very often.

Yeah I got p*ssed off when I got shot in the feet by a trumpet or something and couldn't see anything, trapped in the shed, with some Aussie dude telling me to drop my weapons. Yeah I was mildly disappointed that I had to start again when that inevitable shot came, Yes I should have risked closing the doors to see if he was going to come in after me, but it was fun.