SmashT

October Round-up: #DayZDaily

we also had a nice 4 pages talk about salad and fruits

just sayin  :P

Oh really? I missed that...Recently I discovered Copella - Apple and Mango juice and I do believe it is the best tasting juice to have ever passed my lips...

I also love melons...but that is getting off the topic ;)

God damn irritating people with their theories posting videos. To me it's kind of obvious the game will be out before christmas, but what's the reason making a theory video about it and trying to hype people up?

There are a good few AAA titles coming up so don't you have anything better to do than speculate all day?

• Like 1

I don't see any harm in these videos.

Just go through the Forums irritating people with their theories are plenty.

Not much point in posting them here really, we already have the latest and greatest news available.

God damn irritating people with their theories posting videos. To me it's kind of obvious the game will be out before christmas, but what's the reason making a theory video about it and trying to hype people up?

There are a good few AAA titles coming up so don't you have anything better to do than speculate all day?

Maybe we are not intrested in the AAA titles like most people

• Like 1

But those AAA games have such awesome marketing and some really good PR guys talking about it and building hype so it sells as much as possible in a carefully chosen release window, they must be the best games of our generation? I don't understand.

• Like 1

The Video is mainly for the Convenience of people who may have missed this info, nothing special just a quick 10min out of my life this morning before the school run....hence the kids in the background lol (apologies for that btw)

Not speculating all day, as you can see I am not on the forums much though have been around since the start and played the mod since day 1...

I'm just your friendly neighbourhood Falcon...

Again; all this is from the point of view of a business. Theoretical knowledge about economics might make you more bucks but art needs passion to be truly great. There are so many examples of games where profit or metacritic scores were the highest priority and while the resulting game might have been good it probably wasn't great since they lack the character that only pure enthusiasm for an idea can produce. I don't understand wy we as gamers should care about who exploits a trend the best when we should only care about the quality of the game.

To quote Ben Croshaw:

"a professional mod would have run the name by the marketing department and the marketing department would have punced them in the stomach. But DayZ recently clocked one million players apparently so what the fuck do I know about marketing."

By the way, when was the hardcore player base pissed off? I'm not pissed off! :)

No, just no, it isn’t the point of view of a business, I am not a business major, neither do I perceive things in a business manner, I did politics and IR and uni but am definitely more from the artistic background, my dad being photographer and having pieces bought up by the national gallery and my whole family being very “artsy” if you want it to be put crudely. Trust me if there is someone who knows about the value of artistic passion and hard work its me. How do you think my dad who took very mediocre subject material in his pictures and turned them into award winning photos and trends. It was something new, it was exciting, and he did something other people hadn’t thought of before. Art isn’t just about hard work its about ideas. Ideas make art and if someone does the same thing,….

It will be a great game in my eyes no matter the timeline, but it’s a cold hard fact that if he doesn’t get a wiggle on it wont be as successful as it could have been, and it will not be considered a great game ( by the general gaming populace) if people beat him to it. The majority of gamers are fickle young people who couldn’t give a shit about what went into making a game, as long as its fun, unfortunate but rather true. Don’t think rocket is the only person who can do this, there are plenty of talented people out there who could rip this off and probably do it even better than he could. That isn’t the point of view of a business but its my concern that if this game fails financially rocket and his team will have put all this effort into something which only a small proportion of people will admire and appreciate, ie a few hundred, maybe thousand people on the forums and reddit. Maybe that’s what he prefers, or maybe he would like to pursue other project like this further down the line? Unless its “successful” he wont. Game companies wont invest in projects that wont offer a return. I know shit all about business but I know that much at least.

Also to say “I’m not pissed off therefore everyone else isn’t” is a rather naïve statement and it’s the typical response I have seen so often on game forums, and quite frankely makes me want to throw you out of a window. You are ignoring the amount of abuse rocket had drummed up for himself in the last few months, through his slew of broken promises. Hell maybe it bounces off you but it hasn’t on a lot of others, and news flash…you are not everyone. Its such a generic response, assuming that you somehow speak for the entire gaming populace. I am not saying everyone is pissed off but there are a lot of people who feel annoyed with rocket, and not matter the end product, probably wont end up buying it because of his inability to run a project or communicate to his fan base. I actually try and look at things from both sides rather than my own. I love the game, and I am actually purposefully holding out on buying any zombie related survival games to play dayz, because I know if I do, I wont be bothered. But I am also acutely aware of the sloppy approach rocket and BI have had in communicating to the gaming population. Also the fact there are multiple studios looking to do the same thing. Equally as passionate people working on projects like the dead linger. Putting in the same amount of effort and passion with cool features and attention to detail. 

Edited by triggy89

But those AAA games have such awesome marketing and some really good PR guys talking about it and building hype so it sells as much as possible in a carefully chosen release window, they must be the best games of our generation? I don't understand.

you do not understand because you are a DayZ fan girl...I personally will love to buy some expansive snow maps for Battlefield 4 just to see them used in Battlefiel 2143 again....

dat name!

No, just no, it isn’t the point of view of a business, I am not a business major, neither do I perceive things in a business manner, I did politics and IR and uni but am definitely more from the artistic background, my dad being photographer and having pieces bought up by the national gallery and my whole family being very “artsy” if you want it to be put crudely. Trust me if there is someone who knows about the value of artistic passion and hard work its me. How do you think my dad who took very mediocre subject material in his pictures and turned them into award winning photos and trends. It was something new, it was exciting, and he did something other people hadn’t thought of before. Art isn’t just about hard work its about ideas. Ideas make art and if someone does the same thing,….

It will be a great game in my eyes no matter the timeline, but it’s a cold hard fact that if he doesn’t get a wiggle on it wont be as successful as it could have been, and it will not be considered a great game ( by the general gaming populace) if people beat him to it. The majority of gamers are fickle young people who couldn’t give a shit about what went into making a game, as long as its fun, unfortunate but rather true. Don’t think rocket is the only person who can do this, there are plenty of talented people out there who could rip this off and probably do it even better than he could. That isn’t the point of view of a business but its my concern that if this game fails financially rocket and his team will have put all this effort into something which only a small proportion of people will admire and appreciate, ie a few hundred, maybe thousand people on the forums and reddit. Maybe that’s what he prefers, or maybe he would like to pursue other project like this further down the line? Unless its “successful” he wont. Game companies wont invest in projects that wont offer a return. I know shit all about business but I know that much at least.

Also to say “I’m not pissed off therefore everyone else isn’t” is a rather naïve statement and it’s the typical response I have seen so often on game forums, and quite frankely makes me want to throw you out of a window. You are ignoring the amount of abuse rocket had drummed up for himself in the last few months, through his slew of broken promises. Hell maybe it bounces off you but it hasn’t on a lot of others, and news flash…you are not everyone. Its such a generic response, assuming that you somehow speak for the entire gaming populace. I am not saying everyone is pissed off but there are a lot of people who feel annoyed with rocket, and not matter the end product, probably wont end up buying it because of his inability to run a project or communicate to his fan base. I actually try and look at things from both sides rather than my own. I love the game, and I am actually purposefully holding out on buy any zombie related survival games to play dayz, because I know if I do, I wont be bothered. But I am also acutely aware of the sloppy approach rocket and BI have had in communicating to the gaming population. Also the fact there are multiple studios looking to do the same thing. Equally as passionate people working on projects like the dead linger. Putting in the sam

I partly agree with you. You are right, game development is like art, almost. I like to compare it with movies. Sure, if you got a good idea the movie may be good. But what you also need is knowladge in cinematography etc. and ofcourse you need good actors, experts for sounds, effects etc.

There are many different things you have to consider and not all of them are art. But in my opinion game design surely is. I really don't like when people study these things and in the end the game is "scientificly" checked by an expert. Game design is about ideas, about new things. About the human being and what he may enjoy. Sure you can use statistics, but all these statistics are just useless, as DayZ and many other games have shown us.

You need talent. You can study as long as you won't, but if you have no idea about how gaming works, how people works and most importantly if you have no passion, no "dream", then no matter how much money you will make, the game will probably be nothing special. It will be as you said yourself, kind of a rip off. For indie developer these kind of things are deadly, as they have almost no budget they have to have a good concept, rather then good graphics etc.

Now let us look at Actvision for example. In my opinion these guys have no idea about game design. But they had real luck. They build up a concept which was really good and maybe at that point they were creative, it was something new. But as they build up the "company" they more and more tried to be scientific. Always thought "What would most people like?", and it kind of failed. As most people think that CoD4 was the best one and they always are like "Man the last game was waaaay better, why the f*ck did they do this?", it is kind of a sign that these people just screw up. Sure, the game sells for the name, for the still intact concept. But these people are not able to increase the concept, but more like destroying it slowly. More action, more killstreaks, more this, more that. They just take the concept from before, think it was a good because so many people bought it, and even increase the negative things more.

But like I said CoD does not sell because it is so much better then the previous game, it is purely marketing and social behaviour. People see it in TV and think "I heard of that game it is supposed to be the msot successful", they play it and surely will enjoy it. The friends who played the old ones will be like "Dude, you played the new CoD?" and will ofcourse buy it too. They know they won't be disappointed, because the concept never changes. But the game itself, as many players say, is always worse then the previous one.

This was just one example. EA is kind of doing the same, not as extreme and maybe it will work, but they also try to use science and statistics for game designing. This is why I like japanese games. Look at Dark Souls or Metal Gear Solid. Games that clearly do things that are "scientificly" incorrect, but they have success anyways. And here is the negativ thing, if a concept is successful the developers tend to use these "scientific" statistics, or whatever you want to call them, to increase the playerbase. Make it easier, so more people buy it. More explosions, so more people buy it. Look at Resident Evil, best example ever. Sure, all these things the guy used in Resident Evil 5 are "scientificly" correct, but it just doesn't fit into Resident Evil. It is just something that destroys the concept. But the developers are just too stupid to see that.

And I really hope that the success of DayZ SA won't turn the developers into these ignorant people who just do everything to make more money. Use statistics to "increase" gameplay. Bullsh*t if you have to use "statistics" to increase your gameplay you have no f*cking talent. Go and screw up another game.

The problem is, we don't know if Dean has real talent, or if it just was luck. Sure, he is expirienced which will play in his favor and he works for a more or less successful company, but if he is successful and tries to increase the playerbase with another game, without having talent, it will most likely fail, as DayZ is an hardcore game. See, this is why I think DayZ will never be as successful as CoD and co the concept is just not made for that many people. The concept is pretty much hardcore and trying to make this concept more casual will turn it, in my opinion, into a really bad game. It won't be anythings special, so the casual gamers say "f*ck off I'll play CoD" and the hardcore gamers will be like "f*ck off I'll play the previous game".

It worked with CoD because it was always kind of casual, never being a hardocre concept.

But you also said that people could do it as good as Dean. Well, in my opinion highly doubtable. There are mostly three kind of developers:

Indie developer

AAA developer

"Indie"-AAA Developer

So as an indie developer you have almost no chance to compete with DayZ SA. You don't have the budget for such an concept. As simple as the concept of DayZ sounds, it requires a very good engine, an engine that is perfectly adjusted. Believe it or not, Arma 2 was the perfect game for the mod. There is no single game I know of that would be able to do this even remotely as good as Arma 2.

Look, there are 225km² to use, a realistic gameplay, realistic graphics etc.

Try that with Cry Engine and you computer explodes and Cry Engine is a very good engine, made by one of the most succesful AAA developers on earth. But the Cry Engine is just not made for such an concept. Like I said as buggy and bad Arma 2 seems, it is the best we got. It is the best there is. I don't say it is impossible to create something better, but it is hell of ALOT of work to start from zero.

This is why AAA developers probably won't bother. Why would they? They got their games which are even more successful than DayZ. 1,7 Million sold games? Laughable, catastrophical failure. Crysis 2 the developers wanted to sell the game 7 million times. 2 million is a disaster.

Look at "The Division", surely it was kind of inspired by DayZ. But what we ill most likely see is a totaly avarage casual game that tried to be DayZ for casual gamers. There is no doubt that The Division is a simple "Deckungsshooter" (german for covershooter), which will fail even in the elementary gameplay elements of a survival game. Everyone who expecths a AAA DayZ will be very disappointed, it is not even meant to be one.

Very probably it will be way more successful then DayZ, look at it, it is like Next Gen. Well, but it is no DayZ. And this is why AAA developers won't even bother to copy DayZ. They can do other concepts which will just make more money.

And then there are the "Indie"-AAA Developers. For example Quantic Dream. One mind, one idea, one concept. This is what I like most. People like David Cage and Hideo Kojima are the people who create real games, that are something special. I kind of count Dean to these people. It is like when you take that one person away from the developement, the whole development will fail. WIthout Hideo Kojima, there is no way that MGS will be MGS. Without David Cage there is no way for the game to be an David Cage game. And without Dean Hall, hell what would happen to DayZ then? Dean has his idea, his dream. He wants the game to be a hardcore survival game, as he planned from the beginning. I am not sure if there are people in the development who would do the same. Maybe they would be like "F*ck off we try the casual way". I don't know...

But these "Indie"-AAA Developers, they don't care about if the game will be a huge success or not. Sure they have to make some money, but the idea is more important then the success. These people create games like DayZ, they have the money, but they also have an idea. They don't look at "scientific" strategies how to get the most people to buy the game. They look at is as a vision, as "art". They want to create a game, not just for the money, but for the sake of an ideal. Like in Movies. James Cameron, starting 1994 with a concept and bringing it 2009 screen.That is passion, not only the desire for money.

To get to the point, these people do not copy other concepts. They have their own ideas, theer own dreams of accomplishments. They don't look at DayZ and think "Hell yea I got to do this!", but only these people are capable of creating these games. The people who have the money and the freedom of doing what they want.

This is why it is highly doubtable that anyone on earth will create something similar and as successful as DayZ. People who want, are not capable of, people who are capable of won't because there are better ways to make money. And lastly, people who are capable and free, do not want because it is not their idea.

Edited by Wayze
  • Like 1

Not going to watch a video by PsySyndicate (who frankly reminds me of ADHD kids who play CoD and have their mother spoonfeed them while they're already obese) about something I already know plentiful of.

btw here's my theory: Dean is an intergalactic devil worshiper who comes from the same secret devil worshiping family as Oh, Bama, and his main objective is to deceive humans into buying products they don't really want so they don't have money to travel to Jesus when he finally returns to this Earth.

What'ya think?

Not going to watch a video by PsySyndicate (who frankly reminds me of ADHD kids who play CoD and have their mother spoonfeed them while they're already obese) about something I already know plentiful of.

btw here's my theory: Dean is an intergalactic devil worshiper who comes from the same secret devil worshiping family as Oh, Bama, and his main objective is to deceive humans into buying products they don't really want so they don't have money to travel to Jesus when he finally returns to this Earth.

What'ya think?

I think your off topic!

Steam DB no longer lists Dayz in the database. Just the mod. What's up with that??

• Like 1

Steam DB no longer lists Dayz in the database. Just the mod. What's up with that??

It's all been cancelled, they couldn't fix the zeds so they've given up.

• Like 13

It's all been cancelled, they couldn't fix the zeds so they've given up.

Can't say I didn't think that lol.

• Last Record Update

20 minutes ago (October 24, 2013 – 13:35:07 UTC)

•  
  • 20 minutes ago App was deleted, previous name: DayZ
  • 20 minutes ago Removed section_type – ownersonly
  • 20 minutes ago Removed ogg – 103582791433980219
  • 20 minutes ago Removed icon – 849dbfdfe16c33a9f546f83eba72de81e59d6541
  • 20 minutes ago Removed clienttga – 8a8d5f21b892f336c90af52e1a38835c398a96c8
  • 20 minutes ago Removed clienticon – 62e437337a62ab967d24a50d5f8e9ee1d89cc2e9
  • 20 minutes ago Changed changenumber – 311477 › 313391
  • Like 3

OH MY GOD. IT'S HABBENING. DAYZ DEVELOPMENT HAS ENDED DUE TO COMMUNICATION ERRORS ON DEAN'S PART.

THE HEADLINES READ, "DEAN ATTACKED BOHEMIA INTERACTIVE BOSS, IS FIRED AND ANGRY." THE WORLD IS COMING TO AN END SOON. THE STARS WILL FALL FROM THE SKY AS THE LAST DAYS APPROCH BEFORE THE COMING OF CHRIST.

GOD WILL CAST DOWN HIS ANGELS UNTO EARTH AND DESTROY ALL THAT IS WICKED.

DEAN IS WITH THE DEVIL.

PRAISE.

THE.

LORD.

Edited by HumanBeing25

At least the wait is over. Despite the cancellation I feel... strangely relieved.

• Like 1