SmashT

October Round-up: #DayZDaily

To me it not about Milestones being reached its just the silence. Lets face it really Dean or one of his developers could not take five minutes to check in and say everything is progressing well.

You don’t need specifics or timely video blogs just a interaction with the forum at its most basic. You get encouraged by simply being told “ its been a good week and we have done a lot, you guys are really going to enjoy the end result”

It’s nice to have a connection. When nothing is said, nothing is shown and as everyone can see it’s easy to see when someone last logged in to say anything it just irritates fans and rightly so. We are passionate about this game, hell I’ve never even played it only watched it on Twich (Ngotie)and I’m passionate about it. Are we really impatient? Probably but I do feel there is a lack of courtesy to the fans that made the Mod so popular that the team was given the resources and time for the SA.

I will not be playing this till I get my new rig next year so I can only imagine the frustration some will have wanting to play this as soon as. I just hope the game is supported afterwards to address the many bugs found while you lot all play it.

Edited by sav112

You don’t need specifics or timely video blogs just a interaction with the forum at its most basic. You get encouraged by simply being told “ its been a good week and we have done a lot, you guys are really going to enjoy the end result”

IMO, Hicks has done a fantastic job at that, since he began his DayZ daily tweets. For all the "It's going great" posts, there comes a point in time where people will inevitably want more; therefore it's best to shut up until they've something to show for "all their talk". Even at that, you still get people that think the game is never coming out and it's all a massive troll. 

You can't win really :shrug:

As Jimmy kindly clarified for you above, monthly milestones are internal. To say "they can't even keep to their monthly milestones" is completely wrong.

Keep to reporting on them Monthly.. as i clarified above your post. You know.. the "transparency" thing Dean has been advocating.

Edit: again the devblogs / milestones were just an example of the main point i was making. Read back and enjoy. I also mentioned i know what Milestones are.

Edited by PXXL
  • Like 1

Let's hear what Oh, Bama, has to say about Dean Hall shutting down the government and refusing to release the game.

What always makes me chuckle about comments like this is how the business/economics majors are always sitting there scratching their heads trying to work out how some of the most successful businesses in the world are started by people with no business qualifications at all.

You can study it all you like but without innovation and passion you have nothing.  Perhaps this'd be a good subject for your next dissertation while the people with the ideas carry on being successful.

You could entitle it "How the f**k do these people keep making money while us graduates are still working in bars?"

the difference is those people generally came out with a product or idea before everyone else, or they made it have a unique selling point. The issue isnt the numbers or the business incite, its the fact that if they aren't careful, ( in fact its already happening) the carpet will be pulled from right under their feet. People are doing the same thing, and it simply wont have the appeal it did 6 months ago. 

Any business/economics majors worth theirs salt would not be scratching their heads, because they know that the ones with the ideas are not them but others, and they are the ones to capitalize on those ideas. The DayZ was a unique idea, and it had a great selling point, but there are plenty of people doing the same thing now. Don't get me wrong, probably not as well. But you just need a half decent knock off to get 50% of the people who would have bought dayz to buy that game, and suddenly there are a bunch of people who are all zombied out and probably wouldn't purchase the dayz due to having already spent money on a similar game. I think dayz will be successful, but not as successful as it could have been. Dean has done a top job of pissing off a lot of the hardcore fanbase as well as dragging his feet somewhat (not due to lack of effort, but poor project management) and has let others catch up with dayz. 

• Like 1

the difference is those people generally came out with a product or idea before everyone else, or they made it have a unique selling point. The issue isnt the numbers or the business incite, its the fact that if they aren't careful, ( in fact its already happening) the carpet will be pulled from right under their feet. People are doing the same thing, and it simply wont have the appeal it did 6 months ago. 

Any business/economics majors worth theirs salt would not be scratching their heads, because they know that the ones with the ideas are not them but others, and they are the ones to capitalize on those ideas. The DayZ was a unique idea, and it had a great selling point, but there are plenty of people doing the same thing now. Don't get me wrong, probably not as well. But you just need a half decent knock off to get 50% of the people who would have bought dayz to buy that game, and suddenly there are a bunch of people who are all zombied out and probably wouldn't purchase the dayz due to having already spent money on a similar game. I think dayz will be successful, but not as successful as it could have been. Dean has done a top job of pissing off a lot of the hardcore fanbase as well as dragging his feet somewhat (not due to lack of effort, but poor project management) and has let others catch up with dayz. 

Again; all this is from the point of view of a business. Theoretical knowledge about economics might make you more bucks but art needs passion to be truly great. There are so many examples of games where profit or metacritic scores were the highest priority and while the resulting game might have been good it probably wasn't great since they lack the character that only pure enthusiasm for an idea can produce. I don't understand wy we as gamers should care about who exploits a trend the best when we should only care about the quality of the game.

To quote Ben Croshaw:

"a professional mod would have run the name by the marketing department and the marketing department would have punced them in the stomach. But DayZ recently clocked one million players apparently so what the fuck do I know about marketing."

By the way, when was the hardcore player base pissed off? I'm not pissed off! :)

• Like 2

new tweet from hicks seems like a cryptic hint 

A screenie with him inside saying he's not ready to come outside. Seem to follow the same schema as the one with him literally mid-sprint saying that their in mid-sprint within the SCRUM framework. So it's not ready yet, anyone seeing deeper meaning?

"Amazing how quickly the internet picks up on things isn't it," said DayZ lead and creator Dean Hall when we asked him for clarification this morning. "All I can say is that progress has been very good, we're a mix of nervous and excited. And as I'd stated on my twitter when I announced my break from social media/updates, we are on the final lap. Part of the final process involves the actual administration of the release, which is actually surprisingly complex and time-consuming."

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/10/23/dayz-standalone-in-steam-database-hall-says-progress-very-good/

It's almost go time 

Edited by CapricornOne
  • Like 3

A screenie with him inside saying he's not ready to come outside. Seem to follow the same schema as the one with him literally mid-sprint saying that their in mid-sprint within the SCRUM framework. So it's not ready yet, anyone seeing deeper meaning?

A bandit is asking him to come outside and play in Electro?

Don't just tease me, please me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CLkZenc3ZU

Proposition one: the year is 2012+1.

Proposition two: this given person in this given (P1) time is listening to Anvil.

Conclusion, given P1 on P2, there are some serious social consequences.

I sure hope you guys don't listen to this music anymore.

"Amazing how quickly the internet picks up on things isn't it," said DayZ lead and creator Dean Hall when we asked him for clarification this morning. "All I can say is that progress has been very good, we're a mix of nervous and excited. And as I'd stated on my twitter when I announced my break from social media/updates, we are on the final lap. Part of the final process involves the actual administration of the release, which is actually surprisingly complex and time-consuming."

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/10/23/dayz-standalone-in-steam-database-hall-says-progress-very-good/

It's almost go time 

Amazing how rumors will flourish in the absence of authoritative updates, who woulda thought?  :blink:

Ok. From that i can only gather 1 thing.

The game is done for alpha release and they are struggling with steam.

Cool then it might actually be out this year!

• Like 1

you just need a half decent knock off to get 50% of the people who would have bought dayz to buy that game, and suddenly there are a bunch of people who are all zombied out

Mate. Zombies have been a thing for literally thousands of years. Not since George A Romaro came along. 

There's been the Jiangshi of chinese mythology which started in the 1600s-1700s. The Vikings had  Draugrs (which make an appearance in Skyrim) Which originated from around the 8th-9th centuries.

Why do you think people close coffins and nail them? Because superstitious people are afraid the dead will rise from the grave, so the nailed coffin prevents that. 

EDIT: Not to mention that Jesus Christ is (by definition) a Zombie. From 2000 years ago, whom people still believe in to this day.

Edited by sabre05

Mate. Zombies have been a thing for literally thousands of years. Not since George A Romaro came along. 

There's been the Jiangshi of chinese mythology which started in the 1600s-1700s. The vikings had  Draugrs (which make an appearence in Skyrim) Which originated from around the 8th-9th centuries.

Why do you think people close coffins and nail them? Because suspicious people are afraid the dead will rise from the grave, so the nailed coffin prevents that.

I doubt some nails will hold The rock down when he dies :)

I doubt some nails will hold The rock down when he dies :)

No pal, The Rock can't die. That is one of sciences 'constants'. If Dwayne Johnson were to actually die, the universe would implode in a millisecond. 

No pal, The Rock can't die. That is one of sciences 'constants'. If Dwayne Johnson were to actually die, the universe would implode in a millisecond. 

Seriously tho. I saw him in the latest fast and the furious. he is noit getting any smaller :) hes freakin HUGE!

Hype is dying, but it's being confused with forgetfulness

There isn't near as much excitement for the standalone as there used to be many weeks and months ago. However that doesn't mean that people just abandoned the idea of ever playing the standalone; they're going to find out it's been released and get hyped up again