SmashT

October Round-up: #DayZDaily

By radio I mainly think of radio stations (cross server) like Radio Wasteland (from Fallout 3) bringing the latest news and playing some cool music (should be of course lore based) and people listening to it where ever and however it is possible. Most people here are imagening more somekind of Walkie Talkie when they hear "radio". I think it would be the best if the devs could create two different items...radios ( common) which can simply be used to listen to the radio stations and CB radios / Walkie talkies ( rare) for comunicating with other players.

I heartedly agree, its an imbalance when you can tell five team mates sometimes on the other side of the Town or Village were to find the guy shooting and to help heal you. Your always going to have a massive disadvantage if a squad with com’s comes after you.

Same thing with that third person. I’ve seen streamers use third person to spot, move about and communicate positions from behind cover, Jump up knowing were the other player is perfectly because they have been able to watch. Worse still the same streamer then bitches because they have got owned by someone doing the same. Its like they do it, its all part of the tactics and skill but the other guy doing it is a scum cheat.

It's an issue of information.

While both do give players an unrealistic advantage, third person is an in-game abuse of a mechanic that directly affects individual players in key situations. Third person allows players to be generally less cautious and more simply, see things they shouldn't and it greatly unbalances PvP combat.

Third party VOIP does give a similar advantage in that players can warn each other (of a hostile for example), thereby giving them more information than they would normally have. But it still falls on the other person to take the correct (individual) action. Third person allows all players (alone or groups) unbalanced advantages at key moments. Thankfully Third person is something that can be addressed by either not using it (thankfully these servers will return in SA) or by limiting it's FOV which Rocket does seems interested in doing (for those players that insist on using FPV).

VOIP can't be.

Edited by -lOldBoyl-

I haven't read any comment thanking SmashT for keeping the thread updated with the tweets, images and statements from the developers and i know that takes a lot of work.

Thank You.

• Like 1

1st person is the immersion breaker.  In 1st person its far to easy to forget if you're squatting or standing, walking or running.  These are things you would never forget in reality and can only be simulated with 3rd person.  Until the Oculus Rift is available and I can have free form looking around, mainly including looking down and seeing my self to get at least some sort of feel for where my body is, 3rd person is the only way to give you a sense of self within the environment.  Otherwise I feel like I'm merely watching someone with a helmet cam on and have no immersion at all.

I don't think I've ever seen someone describe 1st person as an immersion breaker before, how anyone could say that and keep a strait face I don't know. Personally, the third person view is a constant reminder that I am playing a game. It's conflicting when everything else about the game (like Arma) puts such importance on authenticity and reality simulation. DayZ is very anti-game in is mechanics and presentation, that's what makes it special. It doesn't hold your hand the entire time like most current generation games do.

I can understand somebody forgetting a stance, but that's honestly something comes from experience. Even Arma3, with it's much more advanced stance system is fine once you have used it enough. It just sounds like you have never really given it a chance, but I wouldn't have a problem with a stance icon like Red Orchestra, as it is a substitute for that lack of physical connection (the game only giving us visuals/audio feedback).

With the new customisation and clothing system, anyone would want to see themselves and that's understandable and that's exactly what the new inventory system offers (the 3D preview). But that vanity shouldn't be used to justify using third person, so I strongly disagree as some would say that it gives them a greater 'emotional connection' to the character. Other first person games do this just fine.

The first person view in Arma isn't perfect, we all know that, but it's as close to an authentic experience and reality as a game can create. It does a better job that most games as it even allows us to turn our heads independent of our bodies, you can also lean to see around corners. Third person on the other hand has no reflection on reality at all and you can't 'feel' in third person either, it simply gives you advantageous and unbalanced spacial awareness. First person spacial awareness is easily achieved with cautious play, it doesn't take that much effort. If the player wants to see something they have to expose themselves, as they would in reality.

Third person destroys this completely. You are giving other players a big advantage over you in key situations, simple because you too lazy to be cautious and likewise... want that same advantage when the situation is in your favour. Why anyone would want this? Especially in a game with such a focus on human interaction and the chance of PvP.

Please understand I'm not attacking you or anything, I just find much of the justifications for using third person are really shallow and flawed often boils down to:

They simply haven't use first person enough (or at all).

Lack of patience (run and gun mentality).

They actually like to have the advantage and don't seem care that they are exploiting/acting unnaturally.

Edited by -lOldBoyl-
  • Like 5

You will see everywhere speakers with music turned on, electro will be a massive zombie party. Well, would that happen in real life? No way, who would be that crazy?

I'd love to barricade the doors of cherno firewatch with sandbags and turn on the siren on the roof.

Anyone know the radius of the radio? Will it be able to be used to troll people by camping on a roof and playing bad music?

From what I have seen, it's probably 25-50 meters. That's only coming from the video I saw of Dean being at Gamescom though (at least I think that's where I saw the video).

From what I have seen, it's probably 25-50 meters. That's only coming from the video I saw of Dean being at Gamescom though (at least I think that's where I saw the video).

Yea I saw that video, too, but hopefully it's made a bit farther than the radius in the video. Why's this thread not closed yet? nvm

• Like 1