SmashT

October Round-up: #DayZDaily

October round-up
A collection of the most interesting/newsworthy posts by Rocket and other devs this month all in once place. I'll update the post as I find them.

31st October

• Made the mistake of going against the group during a stability test -  it was not my day. #DayzDaily

PdlSgdI.png

Q: What about new sounds, especially footstep sounds?
All sounds and even parts of the sound engine are being replaced. This won't occur until our new audio designer we are hiring starts work. [source]

29th October

• Late day in the office testing a few new systems to be moved into server prior to a bigger mp test.  #DayZDaily
  • I am still alive. I have been busy. Got lots of questions about "network bubble". Pic image 1000 words.  #DayZDaily

5ezHgnh.jpg

Q: Is that map from ArmA or DayZ?
Actually I just stole that map from google. I have no idea if it is from ArmA2 or DayZ. Also the bubble is not to scale, and there is no point making a date for release as we won't release it until multiplayer performance is stable and acceptable enough to provide useful feedback. [source]

Q: How does this work with all the edge cases, for example a bullet from outside your network bubble killing someone just inside your bubble.
The server controls all damage. because the server has all information, its not a problem. What this image shows, is that the server is only telling you about things that are occurring near you. [source]

Q: What about the hacking, won't somebody please think of the hacking?
I think the most prudent step is to aim for the center of mass for any problem. We chose the biggest areas of problem for hacking:

• the availability of data (whole map)
  • simulation (on arma, conducted on all clients).

So we have restricted the data available significantly, and we have removed the ability for the client to control most things. The client's role is to request actions.

Another example, is the publicvariable command. This shares variables, which can even be code. If I had a script function called loadNewPlayer on the server, and a client broadcast a new function of this name... then you have injected a new function. Battleye was very effective at stopping this, but it demonstrates a key issue with the architecture.

DayZ directly removes the ability for the client to do most things. And even if a client does do something untoward, it has local effect.

Will there be hacking? Absolutely. I would argue it is infeasible, unrealistic, and uneconomical to attempt to stop it all. However, we can and have aimed to greatly reduce the opportunity and impact for hacking. If you talk to any professional hacker related to ArmA, you will find they long wanted this stuff, because they don't like "script kiddies" as much as anyone. [source]

25th October

• Excellent day, great progress made, high morale after our multiplayer internal test. #DayZDaily

iTZLtSn.jpg

Q: SteamDB and some gaming websites are reporting DayZ early access is marked for 'USA' territory only, is this true?
When DayZ releases, it will not be region locked to the USA, it will be an international release. [source]

24th October

• People say my tweets don't reveal anything - but I'm just not ready to come outside yet. #dayzdaily

OR5GvGt.jpg

23rd October

• Mid sprint, loving the team MP sessions. I think a couple of the animators may be up ahead. #DayZDaily

zpt4Es1.jpg

18th October

• Finding a corn field in the autumn made me think of a little addition to DayZ terrain. What do you think? #DayZDaily 

BW65QDVCcAAXm0N.jpg
18th October

• Don't even know what to say, was a hell of a day. The team really kicked ass today. I can't wait for you all to see DayZ evolve. #DayzDaily
  • /r/dayzbulletin Interview part 2 with Ivan Buchta and his team on DayZ map design.

17th October

16th October

• Post Sprint meeting followed by multi player testing session w/ team. Found a bag, vest and weapon only to die to poisoning.  #DayZDaily

15th October
While not directly related to DayZ, ArmA 3 recently got an update which included items taken from DayZ, here is a screenshot of those items (taken in ArmA 3)
aczPweCh.jpg UEkTvHdh.jpg

14th October

• Spent Sunday in Chernarus taking pictures: one of the DayZ designers desperately trying to avoid zombies. #DayZDaily

BWg_s_gCIAAYmYp.jpg
I'll be honest, we were out there for terrain reference. No trailer :( %5Bsource%5D

11th October

• Today was a good day. Dean & the DayZ team worked late and an impromptu gun/baseball bat fight was the perfect end to the day. #DayZDaily

Q: Where is Rocket? 
I'm still here, things are very busy. Things are good. But I absolutely have to focus 100% on this. That means no family, no friends, no facebook, no twitter - no nothing.
This is probably the hardest thing I've ever done, because nearly everything else I've done nearly entirely myself. This is now a major team effort, but I hold the vision. That means I have to be about six places at once, and if I loose that focus for a moment that costs us. There's only one thing that matters to this big team now, and that's do the best we can to make a good game. That's really the only promise I can make, and the only one I should ever have made. [source]

9th October

• Pumped to see the revamped Zelenogorsk when we go live. #DayZDaily (It was always my favorite city)

8th October

• Exceptional start to the week, the team was heads down, exciting strides made. I love seeing a sprint board to do column shrink. #DayZDaily

3rd October

• Comparison as promised. :) Above Polana (WIP) in DZSA, below the original village from Arma 2. #DayZDaily

MdHKgtL.jpg

1st October

• Lots of discussion on key bindings, end game survivalism, busy month ahead of us. #DayZDaily
Edited by SmashT
  • Like 42

I have a feeling there won't be much news this month..

• Like 3

aaannnddd

still no launch

good thing I have a job now so I can stop waiting for this game

due to the recent season of the year:

my october round-up

yHHGoS9.jpg

edit there:

"Neuer Wein" or "Sturm" which roughly translates into "New Wine" or "Storm" (because most ppl's stomach would feel as if there would be a storm going on in there ;)) and

roasted chestnuts....ah fall. i like you

Edited by joe_mcentire
  • Like 7

Did anyone actually read this ?

1st October

• Lots of discussion on key bindings, end game survivalism, busy month ahead of us. #DayZDaily

so...? let the vague interpreting begin!!

• Like 2

looking forward to some previously useless towns having a reason to be visited :)

An update on the network bubble would be great too.  :D

Hmm, looks like the trees are gonna provide a bit more overhead cover.

Yep looks like we can't get those ugly trees that you get when you disable AtoC and get huge advance.

• about 4 hours ago Changed changenumber – 296589 › 297972
  • a day ago Changed changenumber – 295833 › 296589
  • 3 days ago Changed changenumber – 293723 › 295833

300000 Alpha?

#conspiracy theory

Edited by Cain42

• about 4 hours ago Changed changenumber – 296589 › 297972
  • a day ago Changed changenumber – 295833 › 296589
  • 3 days ago Changed changenumber – 293723 › 295833

300000 Alpha?

#conspiracy theory

That would mean the Alpha would release within the next 4 days.

That would mean the Alpha would release within the next 4 days.

haha yeah even tho nothing is sure, in times like this hope is all we got! :D

One thing I am seeing that I really like, is the fact that the buildings are not trying to hump each other in standalone like they do in Arma2/DayZ. Less humping means those pesty random kill glitches from trying to go between buildings sometimes. Looking good.

3rd Oct. I like it! The village seems fuller and more natural! Very nice!

EDIT :  Is there like a higher res picture? this one seems rather small?

Edited by Weparo

YEEEEEEAH Release this month!

I just took a shit and had dat feelin.

Im putting 10 european euros on it ( you guys have to share under another)

• Like 2

YEEEEEEAH Release this month!

I just took a shit and had dat feelin.

Im putting 10 european euros on it ( you guys have to share under another)

. YEAH!

looking forward to some previously useless towns having a reason to be visited :)

I hope you don't mean Polana is one one of those towns.

• Like 1

I hope you don't mean Polana is one one of those towns.

no, or i'd have said 'glad to see a useless town having a reason to be visited' or something to that effect. what i mean is that from this picture of polyana i deduce that the towns that are useless will have added buildings that will make them useful. places like vyshnoye, dolina and nadezhdino

EDIT: oh, and shahovka too, that town has one of the best names and yet is totally pointless to visit

Edited by Gwraspe

What is the situation with blood types? It´s good idea to have 1 blood type to be immune against virus. AB negative  have about 1% of population.

• Like 1