Sign in to follow this  
Tatanko

What location comes to mind when you think of DayZ?

Fellow DayZ players, I have a fairly simple question for you: when you think of DayZ, what is the first location that pops into your head? Or, alternatively, where is "home" for you in Chernarus?

I'm looking to find out what location(s) represent "DayZ," and everything that means, to most players. Thank you in advance for your responses :)

• Like 3

Most iconic location to me is the Riffy shipwreck.

Favourite location/home would be Novo or Belaya Polana.

• Like 2

Home is where the infected are.

And truthfully, I ain't seen home yet.  -_-

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Tatanko said:

Fellow DayZ players, I have a fairly simple question for you: when you think of DayZ, what is the first location that pops into your head? Or, alternatively, where is "home" for you in Chernarus?

I'm looking to find out what location(s) represent "DayZ," and everything that means, to most players. Thank you in advance for your responses :)

I wish you'd asked this last week since I was "home" cooling my loins in a pond on the north side of the Green Mountain antenna and snapped a great screenshot. I'm not sure you'd have approved of it since it was pretty jank by your standards but it truly captured the essence of what you're seeking (to me). I'll post it when I get access to it again but it'll take some time. 

I also do really like the lone barn roofed house located just slightly north and west of Sosnovka... I'd settle in there if it wasn't for the high travel through the heli hook immediately in that area.   

23 minutes ago, ☣BioHaze☣ said:

You haven't been through Severograd lately, have you? ;) (kidding mostly, but I got caught with a dud round in my FNX the other day and was really left scrambling)

Edited by eno
  • Like 3

Personally, it's Green Mountain. The area surrounding it, and the green house between Rogovo and Pogorevka. I think I "live" there. I love Cherno, old and new, and many other spots around the map, but the first thing that comes to my mind when thinking about DayZ, is Green Mountain.

vmvzvs.jpg

2u3was9.jpg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, odin_lowe said:

Personally, it's Green Mountain. The area surrounding it, and the green house between Rogovo and Pogorevka. I think I "live" there. I love Cherno, old and new, and many other spots around the map, but the first thing that comes to my mind when thinking about DayZ, is Green Mountain.

Hidden Content

Hey! You're fishing in my pond! 

• Like 1

For me it's Zelenogorsk because I always avoided that town like the plague...most serious frame drops and unplayability happened there for me. In combination with infected and aggressive players drawn to the police station and military compound.

Since 0.60 it's a more viable location for me ;)

• Like 2

That's a tough question, just one place? Not sure if I have a definitive answer. I think the triangle formed by Pop Ivan > Stary Sobor > Novy Sobor.

• Like 2

I have probably spent the most time in that strip of land from around Mogilevka, up through the Sobors, to the base of devil's castle.  I live right in the middle of the map, I guess.  If they put boats in this game, I' would definitely go through the trouble of hauling one to Prud pond, so I can float around fishing and drinking Kvass all day.

• Like 4

In .59 I was holed up in the Northwest: Sinistok, Novaya Petrovka to Lopatino.  It was good for hunting big game and helis both.  For .60 I'm trying a different home in the Northeast.  Krasnostav, Novo, Svetlo and Belaya Polana.  There's not much big game in this range but clearing the zeds out of Novo and Svetlo can burn some ammo.

• Like 2

When I think of iconic places in DayZ, Berezino comes to mind first.  From the bloody beaches as a new spawn to various squad battles downtown, it's always held fond memories. 

Home has always been the Nadezhdino area. 

• Like 1

Hill that's between Stary and Prud. It always comes in my mind first. Favorite places are area between Mogilevka, Nazezhdino and Kozlovka, Old Fields, Altar and Novy Lug

Here's the reason for the Stary/Prud hill:

Spoiler

I was running there in a pitch black night. I started to eat in the middle of it and just when I stopped suddenly some guy runs in front of me and starts to shoot. Fight starts and shots are changed. After a minute I fled couple tens of meters in North and the fight stopped. I was then carefully moving in the forest and hid myself east side of the hill.

I only had M14 and the night was pitch black but I could recognize stuff I I watch it against the sky/horizon. I lay down there 25mins and I hear the guy moving in the forest couple of times but I couldn't see him because it was so dark. He was probably looking for me and also interested about the shots that were fired far away in the East at some point.

But then after a long wait my chance comes. The guy comes 10m or less away from me and I see him because he's showing up against the sky on the uphill. I take aim, shoot 2 shots and the hunter became hunted, so he died. To my surprise he had NVG and thermal sights and he still couldn't see me in the fight before. Not wondering too much that he couldn't spot me in the bush but thermal in the right direction and he would've spotted me instantly. My only chance was to see him against the horizon and that's what happened after 25mins of careful position and waiting.

Some would've likely turned up their gamma or logged out. Also the fight would've been very different in 3rd person server, with no chance for me to survive that.

Edited by St. Jimmy
  • Like 3

First city/town which comes to mind for me is: Elektrozavodsk but it is not what I call home. For me home is Belaya Polana, I see that as a quiet farmer town (because of all the green houses) in a generally quiet area of the map.

• Like 2

Vishnoye is home.

In a half hour travelling radius I have the Stary's to the north, Mogilevka & Nadezhinio to the southerly points while Guglovo & Pulfovo are are all within jogging distance.

Good thing I'm not a Bandit because there is a lot of traffic moving through the area !

• Like 3

I work around Green Mountain, but commute from my country residence near Sinistok. The former is just the part of the map that I know best from literally thousands of crash site runs, while the latter is an excellent town for relaxing, eating apples and sitting in ponds. The fishing's pretty good too at this time of year. I can always pop into Myshkino or NWAF to do some shopping on the way between the two.

The eastern half of the map to me is like North London - a mysterious area where there is little of interest. I have as little to do with the coast as is possible; it's just somewhere to get away from as quickly as I can.

Back when NEAF had mil loot, my standard run was spawn>NEAF>Great West Road>NWAF>VMC. Now it's spawn>Nadezhdino (great little town to get started)>GM>Myshkino>Sinistok

• Like 2

18 hours ago, ☣BioHaze☣ said:

I really, really hope things start to get better for you in 0.61. I want you to truly enjoy this game again!

17 hours ago, eno said:

I wish you'd asked this last week since I was "home" cooling my loins in a pond on the north side of the Green Mountain antenna and snapped a great screenshot. I'm not sure you'd have approved of it since it was pretty jank by your standards but it truly captured the essence of what you're seeking (to me). I'll post it when I get access to it again but it'll take some time. 

I also do really like the lone barn roofed house located just slightly north and west of Sosnovka... I'd settle in there if it wasn't for the high travel through the heli hook immediately in that area.   

Feel free to post the image you're referring to. I know exactly which house you're referring to near Sosnovka -- Eugen's significant other (@Lucratea) did an awesome painting of it :)

17 hours ago, odin_lowe said:

I had a feeling that I would get Green Mountain as a response from more than a few people. I know exactly which house you're referring to and that is a VERY scenic spot!

16 hours ago, -Gews- said:

That's a tough question, just one place? Not sure if I have a definitive answer. I think the triangle formed by Pop Ivan > Stary Sobor > Novy Sobor.

That's a plenty legitimate answer, and exactly the kind of response I'm looking for. Thanks, Gews!

15 hours ago, emuthreat said:

If they put boats in this game, I' would definitely go through the trouble of hauling one to Prud pond, so I can float around fishing and drinking Kvass all day.

Sounds like a plan. I'll bring the kvass and some bait ;)

4 hours ago, boneboys said:

Vishnoye is home.

I've heard this response more than any other. Personally I don't go through that area a whole lot, but I'm rethinking that now that I keep seeing everyone sing its praises. It sounds like it has lots of great qualities that I've maybe glossed over. Thanks for the response!

36 minutes ago, Mookie (original) said:

I work around Green Mountain, but commute from my country residence near Sinistok.

I don't know why, but this made me laugh a little :p

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tatanko said:

I really, really hope things start to get better for you in 0.61. I want you to truly enjoy this game again!

-snip-

Thanks, man.

I'm struggling right now....

I would offer a 2nd vote for Green Mountain.

I believe it's the first contamination zone as I recall my character getting mysteriously sick after flying over in a Heli.

uir5h.jpg

• Like 3

6 hours ago, boneboys said:

Vishnoye is home.

In a half hour travelling radius I have the Stary's to the north, Mogilevka & Nadezhinio to the southerly points while Guglovo & Pulfovo are are all within jogging distance.

Good thing I'm not a Bandit because there is a lot of traffic moving through the area !

Thanks bud :)

I have to agree with green mountain for dayz, but as for home?? Ill pick boneboys location.

"until the sheep, leave their flock"

Edited by sneakydude
  • Like 2

For you Seinfeld fans, Sinistok is the Del Boca Vista of Chernarus. 

The other place I'd recommend as a good rural retirement villa is Red Ensign's Little Green House near Stary. It's a little too far from heli-land for me, but that doesn't seem to hold Red back.

• Like 2

Green Mountain is probably the first to come to mind for any long-time player. We all remember the radio broadcast, and the ghost stories.

Vyshnoye is another good callout from the old-time players. These days I see more people living more Westward to stay in contact with the military bases, but Zub castle and environs were a sort of home for many groups, and I still know the terrain like the back of my hand. That castle was important strategic ground back when snipers could hit 2km shots with the right rifles and a little patience.

Stary Sobor in particular will always be remembered fondly as a place of utter destruction and mayhem; it served as a central hub to most of the North, had some interesting terrain and varied cover, and a good spread of loot locations - but no hospital to cower in while approaching enemies respawned the medical gear, so you knew you'd have good fights.

Berezino, Elektrozavodsk, and Chernogorsk were fucking crazy. You never knew what you'd find if you chose to stick around there. Most of the hero-vs-bandit wars took place there, the bandits murdering and then the heroes eventually being called in on global chat. Frequently you'd run across lone and lightly geared survivors - sometimes a fight would ensue, sometimes a friend would be made, but often betrayal was involved. I've met some of the least trustworthy and some of the most trustworthy DayZ players in those cities.

But home? For me, home will always be Kamenka, away from the action, plenty of civilian loot, and a mixture of major roadways for newbie navigation, hilly forest for a covered retreat, and now the option of fishing, some military bases within easy reach, and prison island to swim to when I get really fucking bored. I probably spend most of my time around the Zeleno-NWAF-Stary triangle since that seems to be where most of the action is, but Kamenka is home.

EDIT: Oh, let's not forget Balota. LOTS of crazy fights at Balota.

Edited by Funkmaster Rick
  • Like 3

As my avatar suggests: I find I always end up in the Devil's Castle area, Gvozdno and Severograd. I remember this being the very edge of civilization at the tracks before Severograd existed.

Edited by ebrim
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Funkmaster Rick said:
2 hours ago, Funkmaster Rick said:

Green Mountain is probably the first to come to mind for any long-time player. We all remember the radio broadcast, and the ghost stories.

Vyshnoye is another good callout from the old-time players. These days I see more people living more Westward to stay in contact with the military bases, but Zub castle and environs were a sort of home for many groups, and I still know the terrain like the back of my hand. That castle was important strategic ground back when snipers could hit 2km shots with the right rifles and a little patience.

Stary Sobor in particular will always be remembered fondly as a place of utter destruction and mayhem; it served as a central hub to most of the North, had some interesting terrain and varied cover, and a good spread of loot locations - but no hospital to cower in while approaching enemies respawned the medical gear, so you knew you'd have good fights.

Berezino, Elektrozavodsk, and Chernogorsk were fucking crazy. You never knew what you'd find if you chose to stick around there. Most of the hero-vs-bandit wars took place there, the bandits murdering and then the heroes eventually being called in on global chat. Frequently you'd run across lone and lightly geared survivors - sometimes a fight would ensue, sometimes a friend would be made, but often betrayal was involved. I've met some of the least trustworthy and some of the most trustworthy DayZ players in those cities.

But home? For me, home will always be Kamenka, away from the action, plenty of civilian loot, and a mixture of major roadways for newbie navigation, hilly forest for a covered retreat, and now the option of fishing, some military bases within easy reach, and prison island to swim to when I get really fucking bored. I probably spend most of my time around the Zeleno-NWAF-Stary triangle since that seems to be where most of the action is, but Kamenka is home.

Until you get tied up :) Like you did by a group at the gas station lol

Oh wait that was grimey rick???

Edited by sneakydude
  • Like 1

In the most remote and desolate location I can get to, with a tent, a fire, and my trusty Auto-Gyro!

Location wise this used to mean at the north east corner of the map, But to be honest I'm not sure anymore, Chernarus + is ever become a mysterious and unknown place to me!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FlimFlamm said:

In the most remote and desolate location I can get to, with a tent, a fire, and my trusty Auto-Gyro!

Location wise this used to mean at the north east corner of the map, But to be honest I'm not sure anymore, Chernarus + is ever become a mysterious and unknown place to me!

You know, now that you mention it I've always liked walking down to the water in Berezhki. Granted I don't spend much time there since it's extremely remote but if I wanted to pick a spot where I was going to hermit, that would definitely be it.You'd have 5 nearby car spawns to run around and check if you got antsy... hmmmm.

• Like 2

Elektrozavodsk and Chernogorsk are the best place in my opinion, sometimes I wouldn't even go inland and just hang in these places watching hell right in front of me, some times taking part in it. Funkmaster Rick described it really well!

• Like 1