boneboys

Exp Update: 0.59 (+hotfix).

Did you happen to eat the meat that you cooked? If you did, did it make you sick afterwards? It's supposed to be fixed, but I haven't seen a confirmation of it yet.

I cooked some fox and chicken meat on the stick today and ate 6 pieces. I got no sickness, but it still pisses me off that after all the work hunting and skinning you get less enery than when you eat a couple of cooked beans. I think in the future it would be awesome if cooked meat would make you energised for longer than a can of cold beans does. Does it actually help to cook the beans, too? Is there any avantage to cooking cans? I mean, you can put the cans in the fire and they heat up, but I only used them as improvised heat packs in the past. I think cooking food should have more benefits, since it's a bit of a risk to start a fire.

you can also put down fireplaces inside the car tent now, which I think didn't work in 0.58. 

Edited by S3V3N
  • Like 4

Did you happen to eat the meat that you cooked? If you did, did it make you sick afterwards? It's supposed to be fixed, but I haven't seen a confirmation of it yet.

Yes, I ate the cooked deer steak.  It's been a while since we've had an abundance of animals so I completely forgot about the cooked meat/sickness  :P

Anyway, I put in about another hour of game time and there hasn't been any "funny taste" or sickness notifications.  It seems to be fixed  :thumbsup:

• Like 4

Too funny!

I have pretty much the same experience whenever I hop onto a Stable server, but on Exp I generally have neutral, or positive interactions. There are exceptions, obviously.

I don't take chances anymore.  Armbands don't mean shit to me.  Too many posers.

Edited by Barnabus
  • Like 3

I hate that.  I am the type of person that like to always keep certain items (or class of items) in the same hot key slot.  For example I always keep bandages/rags in slot 7 and morphine/splint in 8.  Last night instead of just being able to hit the hot keys for items like I normally would, I would have to fish around looking for their new "temp" position or open inventory to find them.

There was no reason to make this change...

exactly.  having to condense my usual order into 4 or 5 spots means fumbling around when you need things, which defeats the purpose of the hotbar.  might as well not use it at all.

if 'realism' is supposed to be represented by this change, shouldn't you be able to locate MORE things quicker, the less things you have?

PLEASE stop making the interface awkward, or changing things 'because potato'.  you're pissing off people who are used to things making sense.

Logged in Monday and within 5 minutes I had someone shooting at me. Same thing Tuesday. Managed to get away both times but it sure sets the tone for a session. It must be pretty easy for these KOS twerps to get their kill-thrills when other players are occupied figuring out the new content.

Yeah, heavy work in this regard is most likely not going to happen until we're at feature complete at Beta.

Can we get a bit of clarification on this. Only because I feel like DayZ is a special case in terms of optimization. I don't know many other early access games I've played where I get motion sickness from playing because the frames get so low. I literally get headaches and sometimes nausea from it. I remember when minecraft first came out there were occasional issues with it and it was basically fixed in a patch (think it was actually a memory leak causing the performance issues). Obviously that's a much different case but the point is I guess I've never heard of "optimization" referring to achieving an acceptable amount of frames. Even the word itself suggests almost a maximization or setting some sort of benchmark to hit. Optimal means best or most favourable. I wouldn't consider trying to accomplish 30FPS in cities consistently an optimization, that should be a starting point. Actually, any number that doesn't cause motion sickness would be nice.

My basic understanding of the situation is that DayZ is running on an engine that isn't designed to do what it's being asked to do. Shouldn't the new engine, if we see it in alpha, provide some basic relief from those issues and raise performance to a starting point from which to optimize? Perhaps that's why you're saying the "heavy work" won't start until beta, which is understandable. But I definitely don't expect beta to begin until next summer or even autumn at the earliest (based on the current pace I'm not getting optimistic), it would be nice to play before then.

I got no sickness

It seems to be fixed  :thumbsup:

Thanks guys. I'll note it for the changelog (and my own future sessions) :)

I feel like DayZ is a special case in terms of optimization.

I think we can attribute the overall situation to the fact that the dev team is using a unique, in-house game engine to begin with and then making MASSIVE changes to it as development progresses. Most other Early Access games are using well-sorted existing game engines that are already being used in other projects (and therefore have something to reference as well).

• Like 3

I think we can attribute the overall situation to the fact that the dev team is using a unique, in-house game engine to begin with and then making MASSIVE changes to it as development progresses. Most other Early Access games are using well-sorted existing game engines that are already being used in other projects (and therefore have something to reference as well).

That's my point! It can't be treated as a typical case of optimization. I'd like to see an acceptable starting point to begin with, before an "optimization" even happens. Maybe that's considered some sort of double optimization I don't know haha. But no one should have to fuck around with a bunch of settings just to achieve something passable. To act like optimization is happening along a normal line of game development seems kind of disingenuous.

• Like 1

I hate that. I am the type of person that like to always keep certain items (or class of items) in the same hot key slot. For example I always keep bandages/rags in slot 7 and morphine/splint in 8. Last night instead of just being able to hit the hot keys for items like I normally would, I would have to fish around looking for their new "temp" position or open inventory to find them.

There was no reason to make this change...

I agree, I have my hotbar organized a very particular way (melee, primary, secondary, bandages... a couple of random the and then, light, binoculars, and at the end, water.) and, since it's a hotbar, I don't understand why it needs to be limited. If I have enough slots to store it, I have enough slots to put an item on the hotbar. Not a fan of that change at all. Hotbars break immersion in general, unless you're going to limit them to what you can sling on your back, put in a holster, or put in your pocket. If you want to limit the hotbar in a realistic way, nothing in a backpack, case, or bag should be accessible via hotbar. But, that's the only limitation I would put on it, if there needed to be a limitation at all. Edited by entspeak
  • Like 1

To act like optimization is happening along a normal line of game development seems kind of disingenuous.

They are working on optimizing things, but it's primarily server-side or in regards to the network, as opposed to client performance. They are making improvements where they can for now, just not where it would be most obvious ;)

Edited by Tatanko
  • Like 1

They are working on optimizing things, but it's primarily server-side or in regards to the network, as opposed to client performance. They are making improvements where they can, just not where it would be most obvious ;)

I know, but I'm referring to client performance and the need for it to be addressed not based on stage of development, alpha or beta, but as soon as possible. I'm also asking if that's possible.

Found a UH1 Crash, there was a red smoke there that I popped just for the hell of it.  Nice, very nice.  Cleaned out the crash and stashed some of what I found in a barrel.  Headed back to the crash when it poofed on me.  Very nice, that means choppers appear to be resetting as intended.  This site was way off the beaten path too, not sure if it was one of the old ones but I think it may have been in the vicinity of an old one.  Not gonna say where it was due to opsec so don't ask.

• Like 2

I know, but I'm referring to client performance and the need for it to be addressed not based on stage of development, alpha or beta, but as soon as possible. I'm also asking if that's possible.

Well one thing the new renderer will achieve is that it can use DirectX11. I'm not sure how the performance is influenced, but it means they are updating from a 32bit to 64bit, which means (among other things) more RAM can be used by the render engine. Which is probably helpful with a lot of rendering issues.

I don't like that Beta will start when the Alpha isn't feature finished. It means they will actually have to add more elements during the Beta phase, which means instability and trial and error again - something we all know too well from the Alpha stage. You might wanna turn a few things down or off for now. Also check what your screen's natural resolution is, as the game is likely to look best at that res. I have no anti-aliasing on and post-processes either off or low. You don't need superdetailed clouds either, and with the current DX9 version engine, the HDRI is not really breathtaking. All these post-processes are a second and third render pass over the visible game, so they take up a lot of resources. I expect all these settings to make more sense later, so if you can live with turning them down until then, you'll get much better frames. 

I have a 3-4 year old i7 and only a 480TI and I get decent frames. Though I have to say I have a beastly (cable) internet connection and I don't go much into cities anyway. But as it stands the game is playable for me and my concerns are less with the technical than with the content side of things. There is so much yet to do and every update brings back bugs and errors I thought were eradicated in the last update. There is definitely progress here, but if the game wasn't under pressure from publisher and market (us), the devs would probably take it a lot easier and not rush towards an early Beta release. It's very much a WIP, which is odd for such a big title, but somehow it works out. 

You might also wanna try playing on 3rd person servers. I find it less nauseating than constant first person. I think it got diminished, but the head bobbing still is pretty strong. I wish we could turn that off entirely, but I guess that would make running feel unrealistic. Look forward to motorbikes! I know that will be how I get around the map 80% of the time in the future :)

Edited by S3V3N
  • Like 3

84 fps in elektro. Pentium, GTX 580, 512mb ram.

yeah riiiight, pics or not happening. I remember getting that once when i was able to use the -winxp command, suddenly it stopped working though and now i'm at like 40-60 on a i7 5920k and 980Ti...

also, that 512mb ram thing tells me you are obvious troll...

Edited by grimsonfart

What is actually new here? I played a few hours n can't really see any thing that is new? A few new buildings n the zombies are back but I thought player/vehicle dsync was a big fix for this patch however it seems to be worse for me

Was as well hoping for desync and maybe some performance fixes, but at  the moment performance is absolutely crashing in towns (15-20fps) and in the woods i'm not getting more than 70fps compared to 40-60 in towns and 100+ outside. 

Junior helped me test the new flashbang grenades today, didn't tell him what or that he was testing something for full effect. We'd split up looting Kami and I called him over to the police station to see something interesting. I pulled the pin at the top of the stairs and waited for his footsteps and threw it down the stairs. He was full blind and deaf for 20-30 seconds, I turned my back until I heard it and just had mild background ringing for a few seconds. They're going to be really fun and useful offensively and defensively. 

• Like 6

I sprung a flash bang on ColdAtrophy while goofing around at our camp.

Neither of us saw the flash but both had the ringing in ears. I'm wondering if I lobbed it too far....

I got to put the Scorpion through it's paces in another "Zombie Assault on Precinct четырнадцать".

We circled around trying to pick off the distant infected and clearing the spiral stairs intermittently.

A few got through and I caught some swipes while my rig went full potato.

Grabbed this during the heat of the fracas.

Jr5PAnD.jpg

Red 9 in a plate carrier with buttstock looks fairly silly.

*Dark pic

1PZQiEL.jpg

Apparently NewEgg ships out of New Jersey so 4-7 day shipping was basically overnight.

The cooling system arrives tomorrow (I bumped up the shipping speed)!

6EpEQhb.jpg

My potato famine will be over soon!

Edited by BioHaze
  • Like 11

Booo... I am finding it hard to see the point of loot hoarding on EXP.

Let the stuff stay where it's at so someone else can mess with it.

When you stash items you don't want you are generally being a killjoy.

When 1.0 comes around it might be your cup of tea to "be that guy" (the one that cleans out a town and then hops to another server to do it all over again)...but for now you should let the loot make it's rounds.

Just my opinion...no need to respond. Thanks.

Booo... I am finding it hard to see the point of loot hoarding on EXP.

Let the stuff stay where it's at so someone else can mess with it.

When you stash items you don't want you are generally being a killjoy.

When 1.0 comes around it might be your cup of tea to "be that guy" (the one that cleans out a town and then hops to another server to do it all over again)...but for now you should let the loot make it's rounds.

Just my opinion...no need to respond. Thanks.

Looting items helps respawn new stuff. No need to leave a bunch of garbage for the next person. It's beneficial to both parties. If I'm looking for saline / morphine, I'm going to loot up all the medical scrubs, epi pens, blood bags etc so next time I make my rounds, something that I need will possibly be there.

I agree, I have my hotbar organized a very particular way (melee, primary, secondary, bandages... a couple of random the and then, light, binoculars, and at the end, water.) and, since it's a hotbar, I don't understand why it needs to be limited. If I have enough slots to store it, I have enough slots to put an item on the hotbar. Not a fan of that change at all. Hotbars break immersion in general, unless you're going to limit them to what you can sling on your back, put in a holster, or put in your pocket. If you want to limit the hotbar in a realistic way, nothing in a backpack, case, or bag should be accessible via hotbar. But, that's the only limitation I would put on it, if there needed to be a limitation at all.

I don't agree. Shouldn't there be an advantage to using cargo pants vs. regular jeans, just like there is in real life? Pockets I mean, obviously.

Same thing goes for jackets vs. plain t-shirt, and outer pockets on backpacks.

What doesn't make sense is having 10 hotbar slots when you're in the nude with just a children's backpack on.

If they ever go towards animating backpack access (meaning you are forced to stop if you want to take/put stuff in it) it makes perfect sense, your choice of clothing is even more important. You can have, p.ex., a small backpack that gives you a lot of hotbar slots or vice-versa.

More things for you to consider is a step in the right direction for me.

• Like 5

Junior helped me test the new flashbang grenades today, didn't tell him what or that he was testing something for full effect. We'd split up looting Kami and I called him over to the police station to see something interesting. I pulled the pin at the top of the stairs and waited for his footsteps and threw it down the stairs. He was full blind and deaf for 20-30 seconds, I turned my back until I heard it and just had mild background ringing for a few seconds. They're going to be really fun and useful offensively and defensively. 

Thats a nice way to go about things :P

Flashbangs have been in the game practically since forever tho.

example https://youtu.be/N_WBLuRPV7Y?t=32s

its just that we dont see much grenade usage because of odd physics, delayed throwing, occasionally the grenades falling thru the floor and of course all types of grenades simply not spawning for a whole patch or two as well.

now its gonna be fun when flashbangs are everywhere... I guess.

Edited by jayfkay

also, that 512mb ram thing tells me you are obvious troll...

Holy shit, how could you possibly figure that out. That wasn't a troll by the way. It was a term called sarcasm which is balantly mistaken for trolling quite frequently.

And they say sarcasm is hard to understand in a written form.

• Like 1

Creamy Cowboy said:

"Looting items helps respawn new stuff. No need to leave a bunch of garbage for the next person. It's beneficial to both parties. If I'm looking for saline / morphine, I'm going to loot up all the medical scrubs, epi pens, blood bags etc so next time I make my rounds, something that I need will possibly be there."

OK...That makes sense if the CLE works that way. But again....the extreme of cleaning out areas and either stashing loot or scattering it into trees just kind of bugs me. :blush:.

BTW; sorry about the way I have to refer to other members' quotes...but it seems I can't properly "Quote".

-snip-

If they ever go towards animating backpack access (meaning you are forced to stop if you want to take/put stuff in it) it makes perfect sense, -snip-

I do want this very badly as well.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

BioHaze and ColdAtrophy in:

"The Severe Guards of Severograd Part 3"  :P

I longed for a possible better building to launch my potato powered attack and after a little thought I decided to move our operation from the police station to the hospital *apartments(!) where infected are caught below the ladder.

The intermittent freezing was a little better but still barely playable when many elements were interacting at quick pace.

I did some Red 9 and shotgun practice but longed for slugs instead of buckshot at that range.

The few that filtered through were fish in a barrel of course. Meanwhile we had to stay aware and hope our little turkey shoot didn't attract incoming fire.

M04Gi5U.jpg

At one point my friends gun became stuck in an odd position.

q6SiYyC.jpg

After that cleared up, ColdAtrophy climbed down and found a few infected that became trapped in the building and around the steps and were making a lot of racket.

When he climbed back up he looked to be stuck in a static ladder climbing pose but said everything functioned fine for him.

I asked him to climbed down, off, back on the ladder ,and back up, and it didn't fix the problem except now he moved around the roof like on an invisible ladder making the sound of ladder steps....

DX3tBT0.jpg

"Walk like a Chernarussian"

U6I4sLj.jpg

It's sad to see a friend struggle with a serious air climbing addiction and the only cure apparently was time.

We finished strong slaying a few new infected that spawned after a LONG initial wave and exited without incident.

Now it was time to loot for more ammo's.

The scarcity of ammo is forcing us to plan our attacks on the infected in a more measured fashion.

We are trying to maximize the effectiveness of the ammo we find and not neglect any calibers as we might have in the past.

Edit: to correct hospital to read apartments.

Edited by BioHaze
  • Like 9