boneboys

Stable Branch - 0.58 Discussion

...Tick tock...

I gotta sleep. I look forward to reading it after I wake up though. Which, given my luck, the devs will post 5 minutes after I crash. :)

Btw is anyone else really hoping they add these asap? This and the FAL and its gonna be my favourite patch ever.

FlzMEyb.jpg

to be quite frank, I hope for new content / game mechanics instead of another backpack, another hat and one more gun.

There are gonna be a lot of jokers walking around murdering cars/car parts.

I'll drive by with my bicycle and screw 'em all up. *evil laugh*

Well this is rather optimistic hahaa! I would eat my hat if you are correct :D

Bon appétit :D

New sounds are pretty badass.

to be quite frank, I hope for new content / game mechanics instead of another backpack, another hat and one more gun.

No new gameplay mechanics are in sight tho.

New content? thats exactly what new items are. I'd love to have more items at least if the gameplay itself is barely gonna change for quite some time to come. gives me something to do. A sweet new rare gun to search, more clothes to create some individual outfits with.

Edited by jayfkay

Having checked out the vid posted by Hicks on weapon sounds....it reminds me of just how BAD I want them to improve the sounds of distant gun shots.

Hearing a shot off in the distance, coming from a town I am approaching....from over the hill I am camping on....around the corner of the street I was crossing...

It simply NEEDS to be in game. The devs have spent a good deal of time on ranges to get the mechanics and basic feel of the weapons right...but they should pay closer attention to the acoustics of the various weapons when heard from distances and also they should get the "crack" right, when a rifle bullet just misses you.

This status report was not worth the wait, generally...especially with the numerous references to not releasing the new EXP build due to continuing work (I thought Alpha Builds WERE EXACTLY THAT!).

Guilty of thinking as build numbers go up so does the deadline to Beta go down. Guilty as well, I suppose, of thinking a Status Report this far removed from the last iteration of Stable might mean a new EXP was being pushed.

Taking bets on having EXP 0.59 show up on Halloween night?

• Like 1

Having checked out the vid posted by Hicks on weapon sounds....it reminds me of just how BAD I want them to improve the sounds of distant gun shots.

Hearing a shot off in the distance, coming from a town I am approaching....from over the hill I am camping on....around the corner of the street I was crossing...

It simply NEEDS to be in game. The devs have spent a good deal of time on ranges to get the mechanics and basic feel of the weapons right...but they should pay closer attention to the acoustics of the various weapons when heard from distances and also they should get the "crack" right, when a rifle bullet just misses you.

This status report was not worth the wait, generally...especially with the numerous references to not releasing the new EXP build due to continuing work (I thought Alpha Builds WERE EXACTLY THAT!).

Guilty of thinking as build numbers go up so does the deadline to Beta go down. Guilty as well, I suppose, of thinking a Status Report this far removed from the last iteration of Stable might mean a new EXP was being pushed.

Taking bets on having EXP 0.59 show up on Halloween night?

Is there a new sound system in the pipes or are they just overhauling the existing one for the finished product?

I live a few miles as a crow flies from a gun range and you can get a lot of information from the different sounds but as the game stands now you can't hear shots far enough away in general. I doubt they can get it perfect in a game the way the wind, precipitation even the height of the cloud cover affects how far the sound carries or the trees taking the sharpness away as opposed to the sound crossing open ground.

Trying to be optimistic about the fix for a blocker going through QA tomorrow but am also updating another game to tide me over til the end of the month.

From the little I've played the last week I was wondering if they've addressed vehicles being persistent outside the playable area, my truck's on it's side in debug for the second time and it's bad enough it can get there it should at least get cleaned up at a reset.   

• Like 1

has development stopped... i feel as if this game will never be finished yet im seeing videos of heli's lol! anyone else think that's a lil far fetched? at this point in time!

The strange thing is, I could swear this Lil-Bird video is old footage, too. They already showed a video a long time ago where a lil bird was flying along the coast. Maybe it wasn't the model from a Take on Helicopters back then, but I definitely remember this. It's either that, or I had a really strong deja-vú on that video. Doesn't matter what it was really, as these things are fillers and not real content that is relevant to us. I don't want to know, if I can drive a submarine in patch 1.05. I wanna see what's happening in 0.59, and daym - it better be good ;)

I feel like this showing off future features and presenting half-baked concept art and videos is not a good attempt on the devs side to inspire confidence in the game. I'm always rather annoyed about it for two reasons:

- no frequency. These informations come out of the blue, as if they'd just been thought of and introduced. No updates, but plenty of irrelevant or vague information is given.

- coherence. I feel like one person should do all the presentation and the rest of the devs should elect a spokesperson/pr-person. Dayz is a game that needs answers and Hicks isn't the guy to present them. Septic Falcon makes these update vids, I like how they are summarizing features. I'm not sure if he is part of the developer team, but he sure does their PR better than them :)

EDIT: Ok, so I just read the status report. Seems like there is a good deal of info, but it also shows the problem I mentioned. Why the hell make such a long post? Some things are best done in a standardised fashion. Make templates for all presentations and updates and reports and stick to them. Something like this needs a proper layout. 

Edited by S3V3N
  • Like 1

I feel like the 0.58 lull is the 'long, dark night' of DayZ's development cycle. Soon we will see the light at the end of this tunnel.

• Like 5

I feel like the 0.58 lull is the 'long, dark night' of DayZ's development cycle. Soon we will see the light at the end of this tunnel.

I suspect you're right; the implementation of the CLE coupled with the lack of Infected has definitely decreased the long-term playability for me and others with whom I've spoken.  Once they get the former a bit more refined and the latter back in, I think it will return to being loads of fun.

• Like 5

Excellent metaphor, and one I also believe to be true ;)

0.58 has been a test of patience, but we shall soon be rewarded.

• Like 4

Do not go gentle into that good night,

Old age should burn and rave at close of day;

Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,

Because their words had forked no lightning they

Do not go gentle into that good night.

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright

Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,

Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,

And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,

Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight

Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,

And you, my father, there on the sad height,

Curse, bless, me now with your fierce tears, I pray.

Dylan Thomas, 1914 - 1953
  • Like 2

^Classic. But too cliche. ;)

I6yT5c2.jpg

I'm looking forward to a "real" 4x4 like the pick up truck in the mod (and quads of course).

This truck is often seen around Woodside Queens. Please forgive the digital zoom.

I think of DayZ every time I see it.

How many cans of spray paint do you think that would take?

• Like 7

This truck is often seen around Woodside Queens. Please forgive the digital zoom.

I think of DayZ every time I see it.

How many cans of spray paint do you think that would take?

I think I saw him last week on 495 heading home from my in-laws house (also Queens), either that or there's two of them.  

Small world  B)

I painted an old jeep a few years ago with truck bed coating and a roller  :D 

It was an ugly rust/primer color so I rattle canned it, iirc it took about 10 cans to paint the whole thing.

If you started with the green base color, I'd say 2 cans of brown and 2 cans of black would give you the camo effect

• Like 7

I think I saw him last week on 495 heading home from my in-laws house (also Queens), either that or there's two of them.  

Small world  B)

I painted an old jeep a few years ago with truck bed coating and a roller  :D

It was an ugly rust/primer color so I rattle canned it, iirc it took about 10 cans to paint the whole thing.

If you started with the green base color, I'd say 2 cans of brown and 2 cans of black would give you the camo effect

That's probably the best possible response to the pic/question I could have hoped for.

Thanks.

• Like 1

That's probably the best possible response to the pic/question I could have hoped for.

Thanks.

I don't know where you live, but in Germany we could buy these trucks for cheap from the US-Army. A schoolfriend of mine has that exact same model. If you are looking to buy one, you could search for army retailers or browse online (though shipping cars from the US to Europe is like 5k+). These cars are very cheap, but yeah they look really cool and you can fix everything with a wrench and ducttape ;)

Edited by S3V3N
  • Like 3

I don't know where you live, but in Germany we could buy these trucks for cheap from the US-Army. A schoolfriend of mine has that exact same model. If you are looking to buy one, you could search for army retailers or browse online (though shipping cars from the US to Europe is like 5k+). These cars are very cheap, but yeah they look really cool and you can fix everything with a wrench and ducttape ;)

It's a Chevy Blazer or GMC Jimmy, we used to maybe still can get them in milsurp auctions here in North America but ex gov vehicles lived a hard life and you'd be better off getting a previously loved civilian one. Lot's of nice examples in the 1-2 thousand range many with low mileage on rebuilt engines and drivelines. 

General motors trucks of that era are great because there's a huge crossover of parts with all full size trucks and allot of cars as far as engine parts are concerned. That generation of cab was very popular and prolific meaning you can still buy brand new body panels and patches for common rust areas like cab corners and rocker panels.

My dad had one when we were kids with just a subtle lift, 2" bigger than stock tires and that thing would go anywhere. We cried and begged him not to sell it when he upgraded to the extended cab F series.

• Like 3

I am going to follow up on the weapon acoustics on the DESIGN Sub Forum to see if I can provoke a response from the Audio devs.

This is similar to the situation regarding the UI and Inventory redesigns.

I have such strong disagreements with what is internally proposed that I feel I owe it to the community to post my discontent.

The feeling I get from reading what the team is saying is that when someone has an idea about a design element it becomes the best idea ever...without the slightest effort to go a different direction as an alternate. There are many really cool aspects of the game so far, and more to come, but they fall short of truly becoming something special because the immersive aspects are not fully considered.

Packing a lunch...and off to the Audio discussion!

I am going to follow up on the weapon acoustics on the DESIGN Sub Forum to see if I can provoke a response from the Audio devs.

This is similar to the situation regarding the UI and Inventory redesigns.

I have such strong disagreements with what is internally proposed that I feel I owe it to the community to post my discontent.

The feeling I get from reading what the team is saying is that when someone has an idea about a design element it becomes the best idea ever...without the slightest effort to go a different direction as an alternate. There are many really cool aspects of the game so far, and more to come, but they fall short of truly becoming something special because the immersive aspects are not fully considered.

Packing a lunch...and off to the Audio discussion!

Hicks was doing a Q&A today, on the latest Status Report thread. Says he is going to hop on tomorrow and answer a few more questions. You may wish to tee up a couple of questions for him.

• Like 1