boneboys

Stable Branch - 0.58 Discussion

So after a month break from DayZ junior and I were ARMAed out by yesterday afternoon so we hopped on one of the UN private 1pp servers for a few hours last night. What a boring walking around easily finding anything you need simulator it is right now. In 2 hours both armed and camoed in civilian gear right down to our preference of cowboy hat colour with backpacks full of food and we didn't even have to go more than 2 clicks from the coast. Glow plugs seemed to be the only thing that was challenging to find, found a truck with a battery abandoned in the middle of the highway in Kami. 

What happened with the "hopeful for a new exp" for the last 2 weeks to nothing?

• Like 3

-snip-

What happened with the "hopeful for a new exp" for the last 2 weeks to nothing?

These last couple of months have been one small set back after another which has added up to a large speed bump on the road map.

New tech and large assets being merged in, game conference, extra attention to stability, national holiday, game conference, hardware failure, DDOS..... weeee!

I just have to keep reminding myself that the SA is a (very) long haul deal in general and the best is yet to come!

• Like 2

These last couple of months have been one small set back after another which has added up to a large speed bump on the road map.

New tech and large assets being merged in, game conference, extra attention to stability, national holiday, game conference, hardware failure, DDOS..... weeee!

I just have to keep reminding myself that the SA is a (very) long haul deal in general and the best is yet to come!

I get all of that just a bit cheesed when they say soon, soon, nothing.

I shouldn't post before I finish my first coffee but I do.

• Like 6

I get all of that just a bit cheesed when they say soon, soon, nothing.

I shouldn't post before I finish my first coffee but I do.

Oh man, that was actually pretty good for pre-coffee.

You had my beans because I thought the tone was spot on....

I guess I just wanted to see it all laid out myself and maybe offer it up to the readers here looking for the what, where's, and why's.

Sure would love something/anything in the way of a development but they must be up to their necks in all sorts of insanity.

Meanwhile, I'm just trying to be zen about the whole thing.

• Like 2

So after a month break from DayZ junior and I were ARMAed out by yesterday afternoon so we hopped on one of the UN private 1pp servers for a few hours last night. What a boring walking around easily finding anything you need simulator it is right now. In 2 hours both armed and camoed in civilian gear right down to our preference of cowboy hat colour with backpacks full of food and we didn't even have to go more than 2 clicks from the coast. Glow plugs seemed to be the only thing that was challenging to find, found a truck with a battery abandoned in the middle of the highway in Kami. 

Was it low pop? I believe most of the servers have been reset recently due to stuff so I'd imagine the server was pretty populated with loot.

It never seems to take long to gear up unless it's a high pop private. Balota airfield usually yields some gorka gear, hunting stuff easily found in deer stands. I usually always find a winchester as a fresh spawn in a log cabin coastal city.

I have been running into a couple of houses that have mini loot splosions consisting of 5-8 cans of food and a number of other misc. items.

While I don't really mind waiting for the .59 exp release I do not like the fact that the weekly status reports are "not so weekly status reports". Some time ago Brian said that he wants to put more focus on the status reports and for some time they provided really great information. But more recently it seems just a repeated "we are working on desync and infected performance" status and a short recap of information that has been on trello or dayztv for some days before the status report. I understand that Brian is traveling a lot recently but it is surprising that nobody else can fill in the gap for the status report.

More .58 releated: I tried a new private server yesterday and was geared after looting Nadezhdino. Way too easy for a survival game. Generally I noticed that less people travel up north compared to the early days of .58. Why should you when you get everything on the coast? Maybe it is also related to the fact that some servers reset persistence very often. Why do server admins have the choice to reset it so often and what needs to happen to change the situation? Imho this would be a good topic to discuss in a status report.

• Like 3

Persistence resets are a must really. After awhile, things don't work like they should so you have gear that has been dropped on the ground days to weeks ago that is still there and is not being cleaned up. I put a bunch of random stuff inside some pants that were sitting near a water pump and it remained there for over a week on a private server. Persistence is an option not a necessity.

I never stick around the coast. Soon as I spawn, I push inland. You can't get military grade loot on the coast with the exception of gorka clothing. You MIGHT find a plate carrier in the hangars in Balota.  If all you want to do is kill bambies / freshies or freshi / bambi killers, then yea stick to the coast.

As for status reports, to me, they aren't obligated to make them. It seems more of a courtesy than anything. I wouldn't get bent out of shape over them for not being "weekly". I'd rather they focus on doing what they can with the game rather than worry about status reports.

Edited by Creamy Cowboy

Persistence resets are a must really. After awhile, things don't work like they should so you have gear that has been dropped on the ground days to weeks ago that is still there and is not being cleaned up. I put a bunch of random stuff inside some pants that were sitting near a water pump and it remained there for over a week on a private server. Persistence is an option not a necessity.

You simply dont understand how the system works.CLE does NOT clean up item spawns! It only cleans "active" items that have been interacted with aka moved from their original spawn.

So long as they remain on their spawn point, they will not despawn. Plain and simple.

Such a mechanic never even existed in dayz, ever. At no given point during development has this ever happened.

So just pick up the bad shit if you want a chance for more good shit or change server.

CLE works this time around, it doesnt need any wipes whatsoever.

Edited by jayfkay
  • Like 2

You simply dont understand how the system works.CLE does NOT clean up item spawns! It only cleans "active" items that have been interacted with aka moved from their original spawn.

So long as they remain on their spawn point, they will not despawn. Plain and simple.

Such a mechanic never even existed in dayz, ever. At no given point during development has this ever happened.

So just pick up the bad shit if you want a chance for more good shit or change server.

I have a general understanding of it, I just don't know every written article of it. I'll redact my comments as they are not completely true.

Items that get cleaned up, are they on timers? If so, what are they? Only talking about items like clothes / weapons and not containers like protector cases / tents etc.

Edited by Creamy Cowboy

More or less, to my understanding spawned stuff is supposed to degrade and despawn after some time if it's not picked up but currently only deerstands and huts are working like that as far as I can tell.

As far as the population overall of the server we're playing on and how the private hives are working I don't know been away for a month so... We saw up to 15 players in the list today, breezed through NWAF and the quonsets were empty just some stuff outside from people trying to cycle them. All we were looking for was green backpacks, vests and SKSs and weren't disappointed (wasn't an abundance either though) in that regard but surprisingly only one pair of gorka pants in the long barracks. I'd assume they haven't been resetting, Therman is a UN server regular so he'd know better how they're running their show.    

I have a general understanding of it, I just don't know every written article of it. I'll redact my comments as they are not completely true.

Items that get cleaned up, are they on timers? If so, what are they? Only talking about items like clothes / weapons and not containers like protector cases / tents etc.

Any item picked up and dropped somewhere has a 30 minute timer. Exceptions: Backpacks 4 hours. Crafted backpacks: 1 hour.

And barrels/tents/protectors/ammo boxes on 45 days as you probably know.
Pretty shitty that guns despawn that quickly imo. I feel upping that to 5+hours would improve gameplay again.

More or less, to my understanding spawned stuff is supposed to degrade and despawn after some time if it's not picked up but currently only deerstands and huts are working like that as far as I can tell.

As far as the population overall of the server we're playing on and how the private hives are working I don't know been away for a month so... We saw up to 15 players in the list today, breezed through NWAF and the quonsets were empty just some stuff outside from people trying to cycle them. All we were looking for was green backpacks, vests and SKSs and weren't disappointed (wasn't an abundance either though) in that regard but surprisingly only one pair of gorka pants in the long barracks. I'd assume they haven't been resetting, Therman is a UN server regular so he'd know better how they're running their show.    

They tend to stop spawning anything eventually (or go down from a max of 5 spawned items to a max of 2 for example), witnessed this on plenty of servers.

With the limited available spawnpoints for military loot, cycling for it is generally pretty easy tho, as respawn timers seem to be essentially nonexistant atm.

But if a quonset on a private stops spawning anything, you are fucked. Or rather forced to hunt helis agian, which is almost like a fix to the situation and preperation for 59.

• Like 2

Any item picked up and dropped somewhere has a 30 minute timer. Exceptions: Backpacks 4 hours. Crafted backpacks: 1 hour.

And barrels/tents/protectors/ammo boxes on 45 days as you probably know.
Pretty shitty that guns despawn that quickly imo. I feel upping that to 5+hours would improve gameplay again.

They tend to stop spawning anything eventually (or go down from a max of 5 spawned items to a max of 2 for example), witnessed this on plenty of servers.

With the limited available spawnpoints for military loot, cycling for it is generally pretty easy tho, as respawn timers seem to be essentially nonexistant atm.

But if a quonset on a private stops spawning anything, you are fucked. Or rather forced to hunt helis agian, which is almost like a fix to the situation and preperation for 59.

Have you confirmed the backpack despawn? like I said I've been on a break and know how they said it's supposed to work but it doesn't always work as intended. We saw an empty crafted backpack outside the NWAF tents but I'm not sure we were within an hour of someone else.

Another thing we noticed last night was a house fireplace in Msta was cold and out but had a bunch of ruined human steaks in it, is that any indication of how far we were behind the cannibals or are fireplaces working for persistent storage again? 

Edited by BCBasher

Exactly if I;m in a town that i know im gonna spend some time in like waiting for people or just only have a few mintues then im gonna get off and come back later. I will always pickup and drop crappy loot because then it will disappear and be replaced by new loot. But if you leave a pair of damaged boot on a table they will still be there 2 weeks down the road as long as nobody clicks on them. You don't even have to actually pick them up you just have to drag them to a filled backpack or something as long as you interact with them more than just viewing they will then despawn in 30 minutes. 

Exactly if I;m in a town that i know im gonna spend some time in like waiting for people or just only have a few mintues then im gonna get off and come back later. I will always pickup and drop crappy loot because then it will disappear and be replaced by new loot. But if you leave a pair of damaged boot on a table they will still be there 2 weeks down the road as long as nobody clicks on them. You don't even have to actually pick them up you just have to drag them to a filled backpack or something as long as you interact with them more than just viewing they will then despawn in 30 minutes. 

I noticed that when you swap an item for one on the ground like trading your runners for boots or your jeans for cargo pants it seems to plug the spawn point and they hang around too just like when it was in exp. I hope that and the needing to move stuff to get something better to spawn is just  a bug and not intended as it just leads to the mess with people carting bags of stuff outside military buildings to get new stuff to spawn. My understanding was even spawned stuff was supposed to or at least planned to have a lifespan too or else the map would eventually be full of pink raincoats, unwanted attachments, hammers etc if we don't consciously "take out the trash" which would be a shit mechanic at best. It's cool that we know how to bypass it but I'd be happy to know they're working on it or something.

I noticed that when you swap an item for one on the ground like trading your runners for boots or your jeans for cargo pants it seems to plug the spawn point and they hang around too just like when it was in exp. I hope that and the needing to move stuff to get something better to spawn is just  a bug and not intended as it just leads to the mess with people carting bags of stuff outside military buildings to get new stuff to spawn. My understanding was even spawned stuff was supposed to or at least planned to have a lifespan too or else the map would eventually be full of pink raincoats, unwanted attachments, hammers etc if we don't consciously "take out the trash" which would be a shit mechanic at best. It's cool that we know how to bypass it but I'd be happy to know they're working on it or something.

I cant remember the source (I think it was an interview with Hicks recently), but they are fixing the issue with spawned loot de-spawning over time in 0.59. That will also apply to items that are directly swapped with items on the ground, fixing the issue with sneakers and jeans being all over the place.

• Like 1

I was on last night for the first time in around 2-3 weeks. We couldn't find a full pop server to play on. We tried a few different servers only to have connection failure and any one that we did get into was a low pop servers, which are boring without Z's. I have the feeling that people are loosing interest in this game....

I don't think it's a shit mechanic because it's an opinion. In my opinion it's the player's job to clean or take the shitty loot so that new loot can spawn in. Edited by IMT
  • Like 1

I'd assume they haven't been resetting, Therman is a UN server regular so he'd know better how they're running their show.    

They haven't reset once.  I've had the same truck hidden in the woods since the day of the hotfix.  They had a hack/glitch a week or so ago wherein all the barrels despawned.  I noticed some weird effects after that: odd loot splosions, failure of items to clean up (there has been the same loot cycle by product in the tent E of the Myshinko quonset for days (or at least was the last time I was there)), etc.  

So some problems with CLE.  I'll not say it's not working as the Devs intended, but I will say it's boring.  There are a few towns I cycle through regularly; and it's just the same old same old.  When I travel to new towns, it's not much better.  Seems like this patch just results in everyone drifting toward the 3 quonsets.  I fondly recall the days of (zombies and) multiple high end destinations (the military bases, airfields, Zelno, Severo, and helicrashes). Why go to a police station?  firestation? Novo? The coast?

• Like 4

I cant remember the source (I think it was an interview with Hicks recently), but they are fixing the issue with spawned loot de-spawning over time in 0.59. That will also apply to items that are directly swapped with items on the ground, fixing the issue with sneakers and jeans being all over the place.

That what I though I read somewhere I can't recall either.

I don't think it's a shit mechanic because it's an opinion. In my opinion it's the player's job to clean or take the shitty loot so that new loot can spawn in.

Okay, I think everybody is entitled to their opinion but I'm hoping your's is a just a mistake on interpreting what I said? 

You think this should be a working for "Got Junk" simulator where we're rewarded for getting rid of peoples unwanted crap by coming back to the same house after we clean it and getting paid with the crap we want?

We shouldn't have to maintain the map, that's the CLE's job. If that was the case I'm pretty sure I could just mod ARMA with a breadcrumb trail of loot around the map forcing progression across it but I have this feeling someone already though of that.

Just my opinion but I'm fairly certain mine's the better opinion in most cases, that's just human nature. 

ugh!  We are now the waiting game.  There, I said it.  I had a dream last night that I was sitting on the hood of a 5 ton truck, going down the road when I got hit square in the plate carrier with a soccer ball.  Made me flinch but I was fine, had my SAPI plates in, it absorbed the impact, didn't even knock me off the truck.  I was very pleased.  See, this?  This is what happens when EXP gets delayed.... 

Edited by Barnabus
  • Like 8

I was on last night for the first time in around 2-3 weeks. We couldn't find a full pop server to play on. We tried a few different servers only to have connection failure and any one that we did get into was a low pop servers, which are boring without Z's. I have the feeling that people are loosing interest in this gam

This is pure Bs. Theres always servers with people on, mostly a few completely full. I play on all times of the day except around lunchtime and when theres few people playing this means at least 2000 people or so. Interest in the game HAS dropped though, its not that strange though. This is early access and a lot of people have probably tried the game, decided its not done and are waiting for it to go to Beta at least.

I must also say one very positive thing. I haven't died to a leg-break bug in a very long time. Thank you devs.

• Like 7

...a lot of people have probably tried the game, decided its not done and are waiting for it to go to Beta at least...

Hear hear. After 1,200+ hours I stopped running servers and playing because I just can't enjoy the game (PvE) without infected. Waiting for 0.59 exp to drop. That said, I love DayZ so keep it up devs! Constant progress reports and other communication reminds me it was a good decision to buy into early access.

• Like 3

hmmm 2 months away from the game and no changes but a hotfix to the broken tents....

jeez!!!

any prediction on the exp? was told by a mate it would be last week?

has development stopped... i feel as if this game will never be finished yet im seeing videos of heli's lol! anyone else think that's a lil far fetched? at this point in time!

-snip-

any prediction on the exp? was told by a mate it would be last week?

-snip-

There has been no news or updates since the hive suffered yet another DDoS attack over the weekend.

I think the team is so deep in so many very involved things that they have nothing to share until ALL of the things in their way are ironed out.

I imagine we will get some news, tweets, or status report, before the weekend but even that feels like a dim hope at best.

If we get an experimental build to play over the weekend I'll be blown away..... at this rate I'm thinking we will see 0.59 in November.... I dunno.

This is arguably a low point for DayZ Alpha.

If the team came out tomorrow and said they weren't releasing another public build until Beta and all the new tech needs to be swapped in all at once in a forensic environment.

I would be all for it.

• Like 1