kichilron

Exp Update: 0.58 + Hot Fix.

So the throwing stuff off the hunting stands works. Stuff respawns after a while. I must've thrown 10 damaged pu scopes off hunting stands today only for more of the bastards to reappear. Pristine/worn hunting scopes aplenty though.

Has anyone found a pristine/worn pu today? Where? My theory is that they spawn ok but degrade super quickly so unless you get to them quick they'll be damaged most of the time.

I found one in a Myshinko tent or watchtower.

ETA:  pretty sure I found one in a NWAF tent as well.  

Edited by Thurman Merman
  • Like 1

So the throwing stuff off the hunting stands works. Stuff respawns after a while. I must've thrown 10 damaged pu scopes off hunting stands today only for more of the bastards to reappear. Pristine/worn hunting scopes aplenty though.

Has anyone found a pristine/worn pu today? Where? My theory is that they spawn ok but degrade super quickly so unless you get to them quick they'll be damaged most of the time.

What was the time interval for respawning?  Did you have to go far away from the spot or could you just hang around?

Edited by Thurman Merman

What was the time interval for respawning?  Did you have to go far away form the spot or could oyu just hang around?

Threw a load of stuff off at 4pm my time, left the area played for an hour or two, logged off, logged back in and travelled back at 9pm-ish and there was new stuff. Stuff that I didn't remove was still there i.e. there was a hat in one stand that I left and when I went back the hat was there but there was a new hunting scope.

I found one in a Myshinko tent or watchtower.

ETA:  pretty sure I found one in a NWAF tent as well.  

That's what I suspected. Cheers

So I got a barrel and a truck together to try a few things this afternoon.

Barrels are not even recognized as solid by the trucks like tents, you can drive right through them empty or with stuff in them, lid open or closed.

Barrels are not bullet proof or resistant in any way shot out a truck tire right through it, no sparks or impact noise from the barrel.

By accident I expanded on the removing the glow plug while running, I got out and left the truck engine on and took out the plug and as we know it kept running, if you're not in the truck you can also remove the battery and it will also keep running.

As usual I forgot to check something, the damage state of the barrel after being shot it was worn when picked up will check when I get back at it later. 

• Like 6

I promise that I didn't really even intend to talk about this much in the first place. I probably shouldn't have brought it up. It's just been nagging at me a little bit lately and your comment made me want to defend my point of view.

I feel like calling it a conspiracy theory is not only a little bit overdramatic but to call it that infers that I'm just some crackpot. I came to this conclusion based on several things and I want to preface this by saying that I have a lot of respect for Bohemia. I'm not trying to be overly critical of them or of Hicks.

During a recent interview with Basement Nation on Youtube, Hicks brought up the fact that when he is watching streams he has been noticing a lot of desync. He said that he looked at server performance over the last year and that they need to start buckling down and working on that, improving server performance closer to what it needs to be for release. About a month before that, the zombies were taken out because they said the AI was bugged and overusing server resources. Not a word has been mentioned about them since just before 0.57 hit Stable.

I have played on a full server for hours and hours and never seen another player. I think that's mostly because I don't hang out in Cherno and Elektro with all the Youtubers. So one of the big things I was enjoying about this game was the threat of infected. Without them, the game feels hollow to me. The fact that they haven't talked about the AI in quite some time makes me think that the code is nowhere near optimized enough to raise the player counts, clean up desync, and put the infected back in with the server performing at an acceptable level.  This push to improve server performance is about improving the experience of shooting another human controlled player. And that's perfectly fine. I just wish there was a way to do that without breaking the experience for those of us who don't seek out PVP. 

So what does this mean for me? I won't really be playing DayZ for awhile. I think you can probably understand why that makes me a sad panda.

I'm sorry if I gave offense, but you seem to have read more into my comments than was intended. All of us want to see the zeds back and better than before. Hicks has tweeted on numerous occasions that DayZ is a horror survival game and that he is fully committed to following through on that vision. Additionally, he has spoken in some detail about how the modding community will be fully supported, in the event that someone wishes to build a more PVP oriented mod. Despite that, the PVE camp complains about a loss of direction when loot and powerful weapons are too prevalent and the PVP folks complain that they have been abandoned when food and gear is too scarce. These complaints are generally punctuated with threats of uninstalling the game. The reality is that in the alpha phase, the devs' primary focus is on adding new mechanics and ensuring that they are stable (AKA free of crashes). Until we get to beta and the balancing commences, we really don't know what the finished product will look like. Optimization generally happens in beta as well, unless the performance is so horrendous that it is interfering with development. Unfortunately, I believe that is exactly where we currently are. When the end game goals are taken into consideration, I think that it is clear that we have arrived at the point where server performance is limiting the inclusion of any additional resources. 

"...one of the big things I was enjoying about this game was the threat of infected. Without them, the game feels hollow to me. The fact that they haven't talked about the AI in quite some time makes me think that the code is nowhere near optimized enough to raise the player counts, clean up desync, and put the infected back in with the server performing at an acceptable level."

I and I think that most others agree with you. If the zeds were improved to the point that they were an actual threat, instead of a mere annoyance, I expect that many of the PVP players would agree as well. In 0.57 Exp, I seem to remember experiencing pretty bad desync, whenever there were more than 25 players on the server. There weren't exactly a lot of zeds in those builds, either. Clearly, reaching the goal of 100 person servers, increasing the number of zeds and adding a meaningful number of animals is completely out of the question, until some serious improvements can be made to the server performance. Therefore, I think that Hicks' observations/comments were on the mark and server performance should become a priority. After all, what is the point of perfecting the zeds, if their numbers are so small (artificially capped due to poor server performance), that you never bump into one?  

"This push to improve server performance is about improving the experience of shooting another human controlled player."

I was with you right up to this point. I don't agree that improving the server performance only benefits, or is only intended to benefit the PVP game, nor do I believe that the devs have abandoned the horror aspect of this horror survival game. As I have already mentioned, without a significant improvement in server performance, it will not be possible to have high pop servers, a meaningful number of zeds, or anything more than a token number of animals. We have a recent tweet from Eugen, stating that resolving the problem with zeds hitting characters from several meters away is a priority. But, we don't have much else regarding progress on the zeds, because that's how Hicks rolls. He is not inclined to report about work that is ongoing, unless there is a milestone, or some specific accomplishment that he can mention. Knowing that this is is nature, I don't see how we can jump to the conclusion that the devs have done a 180 and have abandoned the zeds. On the contrary, during 0.57 Exp, IIRC, the devs identified three contributors that were causing the zeds to use more resources than expected. I think that it is safe to say that those issues are being wrestled to the ground.

• Like 3

Not today, last night it was the deer stand above Dolina. 

• Like 1

Frying pan on fireplace still bugged, it works on a Portable Gas Stove though.

Almost managed to kill myself by taking hot meat in my inventory.

Seriously guys, watch out with that shit. You will be dead in less than one minute, would even say 30 seconds.

Anyone an idea how to cool off a cooking pot?

Nevermind, a portable gas stove works with taking away the heat.

Anyone know if a cooking pot in a backpack will burn you?

Clearly not going to test it now because I am low on blood.

By the way my barrel and courier bag which I left 6 hours ago is still there.

Edit: it would be nice if there was like a cool off function on cooking pots and frying pans. The best thing would be to do this at a water pump, water bottle, ponds, etc.

Edit 2: Courier bag in the town is also still there.

Let's see what the restart in 10 minutes does.

Edited by IMT

Frying pan on fireplace still bugged, it works on a Portable Gas Stove though.

Almost managed to kill myself by taking hot meat in my inventory.

Seriously guys, watch out with that shit. You will be dead in less than one minute, would even say 30 seconds.

Anyone an idea how to cool off a cooking pot?

Nevermind, a portable gas stove works with taking away the heat.

Anyone know if a cooking pot in a backpack will burn you?

Clearly not going to test it now because I am low on blood.

By the way my barrel and courier bag which I left 6 hours ago is still there.

Edit: it would be nice if there was like a cool off function on cooking pots and frying pans. The best thing would be to do this at a water pump, water bottle, ponds, etc.

Edit 2: Courier bag in the town is also still there.

Let's see what the restart in 10 minutes does.

What do you mean you almost killed yourself by putting cooked meat into your inventory? You over-heated like normal.. or something much more sinister?

Logged back in and checked checked the barrel condition after being shot and no change, shot it a few more time with the same result.

Tested the truck lights and you cannot turn them on while there's no battery or glow plug installed but they will stay on just like the engine if you remove the plug and battery with them already on.

• Like 3

What do you mean you almost killed yourself by putting cooked meat into your inventory? You over-heated like normal.. or something much more sinister?

Probably his face started melting like when you're too close to a fire.

My face was melting and I was burning, blood/health went like crazy. It would take less than 30 maybe even 10 seconds to die from that.

Edited by IMT

My face was melting and I was burning, blood/health went like crazy. In my opinion it would take less than 30 seconds to die from that.

Just cooked meat or the whole cooking pot?

In previous build I would carry hot meat in my pockets to keep warm while I walked hunting for more meat.

• Like 1

Just cooked meat or the whole cooking pot?

In previous build I would carry hot meat in my pockets to keep warm while I walked hunting for more meat.

To be honest, I don't exactly know if it was the meat. It could have been the fireplace or maybe even the cooking pot.

I will check it out tommorow (later today) after I got energized and hydrated and see what gives.

I've found two pristine PU scopes today. One was in a walk-up forest hut north of Electro and the other was in a tree stand south of Devils Tower.

Edited by Pancakes4Dinner
  • Like 1

Maybe in California or other environmentally conscious places but efgicent solar cells and lightning are expensive. Looming at the infrastructure in chenarus it thik they would just throw fossil fuel and cheap labor at their energy needs.

This csm up in another topic though and you can see what looks like a solar cell on top of floodlights on some towers. The fim yellow lights at the end of nwaf's runways could belivably be solar powered for an emergency to get you close enough to see your mark with the landing light on the aircraft.

Well, there is still some juice flowing, the lights in the light houses are still rotating although they are not lit and the bells still ring out the time in Cherno. 

As far as Chenarus, you seem to have seriously underestimated or are in complete denial of the willingness of the Obama Administration American Government to shell out big bucks for infrastructure improvements in far away shitty little lands like Chernarus.  If they burned an American flag in Chernogorsk recently Obama has very likely paid for their frigging nuclear weapons program with your tax dollars too.  USAID, fuck you and your money.

Edited by Barnabus
  • Like 3

Well, there is still some juice flowing, the lights in the light houses are still rotating although they are not lit and the bells still ring out the time in Cherno. 

As far as Chenarus, you seem to have seriously underestimated or are in complete denial of the willingness of the Obama Administration to shell out big bucks for infrastructure improvements in far away shitty little lands like Chernarus.  If they burned an American flag in Chernogorsk recently he has very likely paid for their frigging nuclear weapons program with your tax dollars too.  USAID, fuck you and your money too.

I think you might be on to something there, next time someone starts a "why DayZ isn't done yet?" Or "I need over 9000fps in cities cause is unplayable" thread we can just blame Obama.

Seriously I think the inconsistencies in the electrical grid's functionality might have more to do with our map is pieced over ArmA 2 map.

Do we have any lore regarding what's going on in the rest of the world because there are high tension power lines leaving/coming in from the north and west. I know here in BC Canada we "share" our surplus hydroelectric with our southern neighbors. 

• Like 2

Car tent A

24oucn4.jpg

1zc31vl.jpg

243pzq8.jpg

Car tent 2

2j5e3ab.jpg

2ymc1s3.jpg

219ow06.jpg

Found a glow plug but no battery or fuel canister yet. Thanks, Obama. :/

• Like 4

Car tent A

24oucn4.jpg

1zc31vl.jpg

243pzq8.jpg

Car tent 2

2j5e3ab.jpg

2ymc1s3.jpg

219ow06.jpg

Found a glow plug but no battery or fuel canister yet. Thanks, Obama. :/

Lol whiskey you are seriously good at hoarding !! Gimme just an ak , just a little taste of that treasure trove lol ...

• Like 1

Lol whiskey you are seriously good at hoarding !! Gimme just an ak , just a little taste of that treasure trove lol ...

Sure, I'll spare an AKM for a survivor. My guy's ready for the next apocalypse.

Funny, I used a roleplay personality generator to give him a random background.

He's a cowardly, distrusting military guy named Oliver who's a hoarder, is fond of knives, and has a phobia of guns.

Was there another persistence reset? And why do they keep doing it?

My face was melting and I was burning, blood/health went like crazy. It would take less than 30 maybe even 10 seconds to die from that.

OK, so if your face melts and you live to tell the tale, does your face heal, after you get healthy ... or can you ever get healthy again?

Inquiring minds want to know.

243pzq8.jpg

I always love the tan cargo pants. Until better camos (e.g. multicam, maybe in mods), come out, I think that all out yellow / light colored clothing is the best option possible for blending in during the daytime.

My favorite loadout from a couple patches ago, stable

FuylPBr.jpg

I can't wait until I can run DayZ again. Hopefully by 0.58 stable, so I can get back to playing in my favorite servers.

• Like 1

Was there another persistence reset? And why do they keep doing it?

I haven't been on today, so I can't say. But, frequent wipes are common on the Experimental branch. This is doubly so lately, because the devs have been working hard on both the CLE and persistence. If you are the type that tends to get attached to your gear, then experimental may not be your cup of tea.

Edited by BleedoutBill