Bohannan (DayZ)

I dont understand why there is no AUTO RUN KEY!!!

Would not mind an autorun key, but in my oppinion it should have some kind of consequense, over pressing the run key.
Perhaps you run slightly slower, when auto running, simply because its easier and we really should not be encouraging people to do it tbh.
I can see people dont want to press the key for 5-10 km, but hey, nobody but you, are forcing yourself to run that far tbh.
Slow down, enjoy the game and the scenary of Chernarus :)

Give us an auto-run key, but change the pace, to a slow jogging, compared to actually pressing the key your self.
I really want some kind of consequense, also because you are a starved and thirsty survivor, in an evil apocalypse, so the chances of you being able to run 5-10 km at full speed, are next to none tbh.
Most people in the world cant even do it right now, how are they suppose to do it without food and water :)

I say this because i simply dont run anywhere in the game lol, im sneaking like a mofo, everywhere, and will only run when im being hunted or shot at.

Just the other day it took me over an hour to pass through Vybor, and i like doing this tbh, makes me feel alot more safe and in control of the situation.

Edited by Byrgesen

The turbo function should just be a toggle. This is basic gaming stuff now. I don't want to hold down sprint for ergonomic reasons.

Edit: I would still have to hold a key down to move forward either way, as I use the logitech g13 joystick I'm holding the stick forwards to move forwards whether I'm sprinting or not, I have to hold Shift to sprint, so I assumed you guys would still hold W and just use Shift as the toggle to sprint on/off (exactly how Arma 3 works). So I don't understand the whole tab out or auto run , you will still have to hold W just not holding Shift constantly.

Edited by AgentNe0
  • Like 2

Again, i think they should make it so you have to tap forward to run,, and keep tapping to keep running.

Realistically speaking, human being WALK when going from A to B over a long distance.

• Like 2

Numbered so I can address each.

1.  THE ONLY DIFFERENCE between the suggestion and the current system is that you won't be holding the W button.  Its not a feature where you can tell your character where to go and he goes there.  Only noobs and fools are going to set their character to auto-run then go afk.  If they do that its likely they will get shot, or run into a object, or get mauled zombies, or have their character die of hunger/thirst.  Most players are going still going to have their eyes glued to their screen.  Watching for threats and looking for loot.

2.  I don't see how holding the W key makes me focus more on the game.  I often look elsewhere while holding the w key.  I asked my two friends that play dayz if they hold pay full attention and both of them said they often look elsewhere.  Holding down a button does not add to immersion or make you focus more.  Also NO ONE is going to force you to use autorun.  IF you don't want to use autorun...THEN DON'T.  But don't have a problem with the people that do.

3.  Speak for yourself.  Just because you don't have any issues while playing doesn't mean other people don't.  My finger has hurt from time to time due to constantly pressing/holding w.  Also a video game shouldn't force you to take "finger resting breaks".  I play a lot of video games and most don't make my finger hurt.   

Overall I don't see why people seem to hate the suggestion.  No one is going to force you to autorun, if you think it breaks immersion or that it takes some fun from the game.  DON'T USE IT.  Also its just a tool to keep your character running forward.  He is not going to heading off towards towns on his own.  Players are going to need to jump in once and a while to steer him away from a tree and such.  Also this is the ALPHA of the standalone.  Wouldn't this be the right time to test a autorun feature out?  If it doesn't work they can remove it easy.

I'm just gonna say, as far as "my finger hurts" goes, that's your problem. if you're playing to the point of your finger hurting, get a keyboard that doesn't strain your finger so, or take a rest. It's just sensible, computers are a known cause of RSI, so....

anyway 

Frankly, I think it'd just be used by freshspawns to make the run down to electro easier, and at all costs that's something that should be avoided. The way it's gonna work currently is, they'll get bored of the game because the 30 minute run isn't worth the 10 minutes of deathmatch, or they'll learn to play the game as something other than an fps. I reckon autorun would just be abused by people who don't understand the game, and while you can say "let them", i say - "no, no thankyou". How people play the game affects how everyone else plays the game. It's a sad fact, but it's still a fact. 

Look I'll humour you, it IS an alpha so if you guys insist, and the Devs agree then sure, but if it was gonna be added, it'd have to have a clear downside. So, how about autowalk instead of run? if your poor little fingy wingy needs a rest you can turn that on and go very slowly. But honestly, I don't see why you can't just man up and deal with it. 

I'm just gonna say, as far as "my finger hurts" goes, that's your problem. if you're playing to the point of your finger hurting, get a keyboard that doesn't strain your finger so, or take a rest. It's just sensible, computers are a known cause of RSI, so....

anyway 

Frankly, I think it'd just be used by freshspawns to make the run down to electro easier, and at all costs that's something that should be avoided. The way it's gonna work currently is, they'll get bored of the game because the 30 minute run isn't worth the 10 minutes of deathmatch, or they'll learn to play the game as something other than an fps. I reckon autorun would just be abused by people who don't understand the game, and while you can say "let them", i say - "no, no thankyou". How people play the game affects how everyone else plays the game. It's a sad fact, but it's still a fact. 

Look I'll humour you, it IS an alpha so if you guys insist, and the Devs agree then sure, but if it was gonna be added, it'd have to have a clear downside. So, how about autowalk instead of run? if your poor little fingy wingy needs a rest you can turn that on and go very slowly. But honestly, I don't see why you can't just man up and deal with it. 

lol ok, so I'm thinking I'm completely wrong. 

Alot of people don't really have much to do, and i reckon the end goal is to have player populations dispersed between the north and the south cities, so that's not gonna matter in the end,it'll sort itself out as the game progresses - players will need to not die to make it to the most interesting shit. That's what i see happening so -- Auto run +1, we all know everyone who just afk'd to electro would get gunned down immediately.  

Edited by Capo

It's probably been requested before, I know I wish for it every time I play. Most actions in dayz have toggles, can running please have one? 

There is no real gameplay value to having to hold down W. 

Hahaha! Guys, it can be done much easier. Just put a heavy object on the button... Waiting for my beans.

Again, i think they should make it so you have to tap forward to run,, and keep tapping to keep running.

Realistically speaking, human being WALK when going from A to B over a long distance.

The sales of the duck off the Simpsons what was used to press the Y key will rocket up and sell 1.1million in 24hours lol. It would be a lot harder and I'm surprise no one has said this idea earlyer or Dean hasn't put that in game just to make it hard.

I would only like the auto key if it was limited to a space of time say 120sec then 30sec you can't use it just like the logging out timer on the mod.

• Like 1

I dont understand how people are against this. All it does is make the person not have to hold down W. People already jam objects in their keyboard or people macro the key anyway. Having an in game key for it just makes it simpler. It is not like holding W takes skill. The player still has to control direction and watch for danger. They cant just turn on auto run and go afk till they get to their destiantion.

• Like 2

i put a heavy battery on the W button lol

• Like 2

The amount of times I've been booted from servers for running auto hotkeys in the background

Bumpity Bump.

Hello there

Apart from clan threads, we really dont like bumping (and even in those we only barely tolerate it.)

If a thread is drifting off into the sunset, let it.

Rgds

LoK

Initially I liked that idea. After the whole day of programming it might be then painful to the wrist while you need to press one button hold continuously. 

Then I rethink that, as there might be the risk of player-zombies running around. Using something heavy on your keyboard is a better solution. It is at least creative.

Edited by neobit

This will most likely happen:

*have W key pressed and leave computer for a while*

*comes back to find "YOU ARE DEAD"*

Prob cause you ran into someone while you WEREN'T PAYING ATTENTION

The Steam overlay bug was removed on purpose. The devs clearly don't want people autorunning. Just saying.

thats fucking disgusting.

He meant a stick of gum that was still in the wrapper, not one that was already chewed

A friend and I were just talking about this while running to NWAF from Electro. She mentioned that she was going to post it in the forum so me being fond of the search feature on this forum realized someone beat her to the punch. She later died in the middle of the street while eating rice from a Mosin.I was next to her but it was too late...... lol

I have auto-run in my end..  

When I use my finger,  and tap then hold the 'w' key, it auto-runs for me.  Ingenious!   :P

As i see it, this is a feature the devs simply doesnt want in the game.
Its quite simple to make an autorun key, but it has been on the "development table", neither in the MOD or now in the SA.

I doubt you will ever get an autorun key tbh, and it wont really be needed either, when we get some kind of fatigue and weight system implemented.

This is not something Rocket likes :)