Bohannan (DayZ)

I dont understand why there is no AUTO RUN KEY!!!

Steam overlay it? 

1. Double Tab W to sprint

2. while holding W press Shift+Tab to bring up steam menu

3. Release W Key

4. Shift + Tab to go back to game

Yes..that is comic sans.

• Like 1

what a thread..nine pages..fecking really ?

Use your finger.

Put something on the key.

Macro it.

Steam overlay it.

wow.

You think it is better to put something on the key, macro it, or use some silly steam overlay trick rather the simply add an autorun command to the game?? All of your suggestions do the same thing an autorun key would do anyway but much less elegent than an in game solution. Do you see how silly that makes you look??

By the way I already do macro it, but why shouldnt there just be the option in game?? I fail to see the logic in being against an autorun key. It is a simple suggestion and good one and I am just baffled at the amount of negativity towards a simple key command.   :huh:

• Like 2

running doesn't bother me to much because really it's about 90% of the game, and i feel if i didn't do that part of then then really i wouldn't be doing anything.  I know i never wanted any auto run key in skyrim or anything, but if i do have to run a long ways very rarely i pick up my xbox 360 controller and just use that to run.

1. Double Tab W to sprint

2. while holding W press Shift+Tab to bring up steam menu

3. Release W Key

4. Shift + Tab to go back to game

Yes..that is comic sans.

Has anyone got this to work in SA??

Wont do it for me anymore :(

It isn't a matter of 'skill', it's a matter of 'if you can't even be arsed to press a single button then stay in Kamyshovo'. xD

Didn't expect that sort of comment from one on the team.

It's simple game ergonomics, if an action is constantly repeated ad nauseum to the point of it causing physical discomfort then you've done a poor job designing your game. If it was something that had any sort of nuance then it'd be a different matter, but what people don't like is simply the fact that they have to hold one button down continuously for something that could very well end up being an hour. 

It's so irritating that most people have resorted to jamming things into their keyboards to have to avoid it. 

If you don't want it, just don't use it. 

It detracts nothing from the experience, and has no cons, it's not an easy win feature, it's just for those of us not interested in contracting carpal tunnel.

• Like 1

Honestly, in a game where the split second it takes to get your hand back on WASD and react after unexpectedly meeting a bandit while auto-running could cost you all of your progress I really don't see why anyone would want to use an auto-run key.

You can run from Krastinov to Kamenka in less than 50 minutes, so I highly doubt anyone has been holding W for that long...

You'd be surprised how long people will spend just running across the map.

Honestly, I think auto-run is necessary for a game like DayZ. If most people are using a coin or a macro to make it happen anyway then you might as well just make it a standard feature of the game.

• Like 1

Auto-run = death

Imagine on 100 man servers everyone auto-running, your more inclined to pay less attention... then suddenly you an axe to the back of the head or you run right into a horde of zombies! mwhahahhahaha!

Just use a coin and stop complaining. 

Auto-run = death

Imagine on 100 man servers everyone auto-running, your more inclined to pay less attention... then suddenly you an axe to the back of the head or you run right into a horde of zombies! mwhahahhahaha!

Everyone would just auto run and watch their character run into a horde of zombies if we add an autorun key. Ok.... that is really really stupid. Why would people do that?? And even IF they did why does it matter to you. If you dont want to use autorun, then dont use it.

I seriously dont understand where you guys get this logic. Are you all from a bizzaro world or something. Telling people to use or a coin or macro it is just telling people to autorun. This thing you apparently dont want in the game and yet you suggest people do it anyway....  :rolleyes:

Auto-run wont cause mass hysteria of everyone running into zombies. It only allows the player to hit a button once to move forward instead of holding down said button. I use my macro to autorun but I still look where I am going and check my surroundings with the ALT key.  I also never use it in towns. 

I am fine with using my macro but I just can not stay away from the ridiculous arguments in this thread.  :P   

Everyone would just auto run and watch their character run into a horde of zombies if we add an autorun key. Ok.... that is really really stupid. Why would people do that?? And even IF they did why does it matter to you. If you dont want to use autorun, then dont use it.

I seriously dont understand where you guys get this logic. Are you all from a bizzaro world or something. Telling people to use or a coin or macro it is just telling people to autorun. This thing you apparently dont want in the game and yet you suggest people do it anyway....  :rolleyes:

Auto-run wont cause mass hysteria of everyone running into zombies. It only allows the player to hit a button once to move forward instead of holding down said button. I use my macro to autorun but I still look where I am going and check my surroundings with the ALT key.  I also never use it in towns. 

I am fine with using my macro but I just can not stay away from the ridiculous arguments in this thread.  :P   

Maybe people were offering you an alternative until the idea is implemented or not.

I would prefer a "follow someone" feature than a auto run that seem dangerous for me

That would solve many problems you mentionned here

I personally want an auto run key. It's the reason I'm not playing right now. I can't bring myself to hold w anymore. I'm pretty much done playing Day Z until they implement auto run. My old keyboard had a macro feature, and the one I am using where I am now won't work with the quarter trick. My life involves a lot of multitasking. I literally can't play now. I've managed to create a script for running, but I'm worried it will get me banned. It's silly that they aren't adding an auto run feature in a game which is such an enormous time sink. 

lmao.  Really dude?  "WAAAHHH I WON'T PLAY UNTIL THEY ADD AUTO RUN! ADD AUTO RUN OR I'M BOYCOTTING YOUR GAME!"

Dude they don't give a shit if people like you "go on strike" from playing until they add X feature that you demand.

If you want an auto running function, fuck off and play Rust. We don't want you.

This is the kind of attitude WE dont want.

L

• Like 4

Auto-run = death

How can people complain about players wanting auto-run when they themselves use a bloody coin to do the EXACT same thing?

Boggles my mind :(

it is a mindfuck even arguing about autorun key.

people will use it or not use it. no need to have a annerism about it :o

Just make a macro for your mouse or keyboard...

Not everyone has a keyboard like that. Even so I simply don't want to use an external software while playing.

Just throwing in my 2 cents here:

I think this game SHOULD have an auto run feature.

Currently I use the quarter trick. But I don't just "turn on run" and walk away. Im still RIGHT THERE, hand on the keyboard, staring at the screen as I hold down ALT to look around me while I run.

I do this because I get tired of holding down W non stop. No other reason. It just gets old.

Now, that was my 2 cents. And those two pennies are WORTH something. They happen to be wheat pennies, and therefore have collector value...

• Like 1

With the game being as incomplete as it is I don't think a lot of the pro auto-runners are getting it.  The reason there isn't one is because it really isn't needed.   You're not suppose to be making a mad dash to the nearest military base to get all your gear.  The land is suppose to be dangerous.  It's going to be, hopefully, littered with zombies that I'm hoping will make it impossible just to run by.  Hell, I remember multiple times while playing the mod of having to crawl around and sneak past hordes of zombies.  Running through city streets was suicide as there was too many zombies that would end just cornering you because fatigue would finally set in and you couldn't run any more.  If they do implement one I personally don't care but don't come bitching on the forums about dying due to fatigue.

Edited by Caboose187

hey If they want an auto run key it wouldnt be hard for the devs to put in ....

BUT seeing there plan is quite a detailed stamina system im betting once that is in you will want to um save ya running for when someone is shooting at you...

Although it will be amusing to see guys trying to use auto run and ending up walking cause there out of breath un able to run when they need it.... Burning there energy having to eat more when food gets harder to find struggling to shoot back without there gun shaking cause there completely tired gasping for breath..

Doubt they will land that before vehicles though but sure while endless run is possible you would enjoy it.... 

I look forward to plenty of slow moving targets ( wow sniping just got alot easier)

lmao.  Really dude?  "WAAAHHH I WON'T PLAY UNTIL THEY ADD AUTO RUN! ADD AUTO RUN OR I'M BOYCOTTING YOUR GAME!"

Dude they don't give a shit if people like you "go on strike" from playing until they add X feature that you demand.

Worked with 3rd person view being left into the game so you never know