Bohannan (DayZ)

I dont understand why there is no AUTO RUN KEY!!!

It's weird, there was another post about this(that I just found, although I did try to search before making this one) 

And the response was overwhelmingly negative. 

I'm not sure why that is, or what changed.

Dear sweet Jesus YES PLEASE

I just love ramming a quarter in my keyboard when i spawn in the middle of nowere

I was about to create this exact same thread, so thanks for taking the initiative! I also mistakenly posted on the DayZ Mod topic about the Auto run feature. :P

It's weird, there was another post about this(that I just found, although I did try to search before making this one) 

And the response was overwhelmingly negative. 

I'm not sure why that is, or what changed.

As for that post, I think he just got off on the wrong foot. Then again, he was posting in the wrong section and not with the best tone possible.

There is no real gameplay value to having to hold down W. 

Would you like me to come over and feed you and wipe your brow for you as well?

Bump.

DEAR GOD WE NEED THIS.

In the mod i exploited the steam overlay glitch but the standalone is hell on my middle finger... 

This has probably been suggested before and with good reason. Seeing as DayZ SA in it's current state is more a running simulator than anything, I'd suggest adding a toggle run(and sprint) key to take away an awful aspect of the game. If you want to run to another city it involves holding down the W key for 10-30 minutes depending on where you want to go. This wasn't as much a pain in the ass in the mod, because there you could drive vehicles. There's literally no downside to this so why have it not been added yet?

And please don't just lock the topic and refer me to some month old topic where it have previously been mentioned, I want a discussion on this as well as the devs to notice.

And please don't just lock the topic and refer me to some month old topic where it have previously been mentioned, I want a discussion on this as well as the devs to notice.

If you would have actually read one of those topics you would have noticed how rocket has been quoted and where he said, that it won't be added because of immersion.

In order to be able to run you actively have to do something, e.g. holding down a button and not just go AFK and let everything happen.

I think double tap w could work like double tap shift or double tap q and e... it could always be remapped as well.

This has probably been suggested before and with good reason. Seeing as DayZ SA in it's current state is more a running simulator than anything, I'd suggest adding a toggle run(and sprint) key to take away an awful aspect of the game. If you want to run to another city it involves holding down the W key for 10-30 minutes depending on where you want to go. This wasn't as much a pain in the ass in the mod, because there you could drive vehicles. There's literally no downside to this so why have it not been added yet?

merging.

Add this so I can shoot people running through the woods not paying any attention to the game they are playing.

I Actually don't want to see this, people are trying to turn DayZ into a game that plays itself.

Back in my day we held that W key for hours, and we liked it.

• Like 1

People are overeacting.  Holding the button down does not add to the experiance or help immersion.  It takes stress off your finger.  Also it won't make dayz a game that runs itself.  Its just running.  Its not shooting or eating.  Also only fools will go afk.  THey will run into a tree or something and have to move their character.  

• Like 2

No thanks, it just sounds like people want the game to do the running for them. It will simply become, point compass, turn on autorun, "you will arrive at your destination in approximately 20 minutes". 

It doesn't necessarily mean people are going to be going afk, but it does mean they're not going to be concentrating much on the game, hence immersion reducing.  

at the moment i get lost or end up in unexpected places a lot of the time, because i'm actually choosing the path as it comes. That's good, it feels like i'm actually navigating. 

I don't really understand the "zomg my finger hurts" argument, that sounds like RSI, so take a break......I don't have any such issues when playing, and i sometimes play for hours at a time, although 12 years of piano might have given me super fingers. 

People are overeacting.  

Well i agree with that statement, but from a different perspective. 

• Like 1

Add this so I can shoot people running through the woods not paying any attention to the game they are playing.

I Actually don't want to see this, people are trying to turn DayZ into a game that plays itself.

Back in my day we held that W key for hours, and we liked it.

Sir, that is some great example of sarcasm! :)

No thanks, it just sounds like people want the game to do the running for them. It will simply become, point compass, turn on autorun, "you will arrive at your destination in approximately 20 minutes". 

It doesn't necessarily mean people are going to be going afk, but it does mean they're not going to be concentrating much on the game, hence immersion reducing.  

at the moment i get lost or end up in unexpected places a lot of the time, because i'm actually choosing the path as it comes. That's good, it feels like i'm actually navigating. 

I don't really understand the "zomg my finger hurts" argument, that sounds like RSI, so take a break......I don't have any such issues when playing, and i sometimes play for hours at a time, although 12 years of piano might have given me super fingers. 

To you, let me quote parts of my first post on the matter (from the original mod's sub section).

"I understand that for many longterm players ("veterans") it feels like an attack on the sense of realism and the hardcore style that the game represents. But guys, is the autorun key really that threatening to you? So what if I want to press autorun and decide to chat with my friends on steam, or watch a youtube video while I am running to Cherno? Shame on me, because for one I'm probably just going to kill myself with that behaviour."

My playstyle, and this feature is not going to affect you in any bad way. It will not give me an advantage over you, so put your guards down. :)

1. No thanks, it just sounds like people want the game to do the running for them. It will simply become, point compass, turn on autorun, "you will arrive at your destination in approximately 20 minutes". 

2. It doesn't necessarily mean people are going to be going afk, but it does mean they're not going to be concentrating much on the game, hence immersion reducing.  

3.  I don't really understand the "zomg my finger hurts" argument, that sounds like RSI, so take a break......I don't have any such issues when playing, and i sometimes play for hours at a time, although 12 years of piano might have given me super fingers. 

Numbered so I can address each.

1.  THE ONLY DIFFERENCE between the suggestion and the current system is that you won't be holding the W button.  Its not a feature where you can tell your character where to go and he goes there.  Only noobs and fools are going to set their character to auto-run then go afk.  If they do that its likely they will get shot, or run into a object, or get mauled zombies, or have their character die of hunger/thirst.  Most players are going still going to have their eyes glued to their screen.  Watching for threats and looking for loot.

2.  I don't see how holding the W key makes me focus more on the game.  I often look elsewhere while holding the w key.  I asked my two friends that play dayz if they hold pay full attention and both of them said they often look elsewhere.  Holding down a button does not add to immersion or make you focus more.  Also NO ONE is going to force you to use autorun.  IF you don't want to use autorun...THEN DON'T.  But don't have a problem with the people that do.

3.  Speak for yourself.  Just because you don't have any issues while playing doesn't mean other people don't.  My finger has hurt from time to time due to constantly pressing/holding w.  Also a video game shouldn't force you to take "finger resting breaks".  I play a lot of video games and most don't make my finger hurt.   

Overall I don't see why people seem to hate the suggestion.  No one is going to force you to autorun, if you think it breaks immersion or that it takes some fun from the game.  DON'T USE IT.  Also its just a tool to keep your character running forward.  He is not going to heading off towards towns on his own.  Players are going to need to jump in once and a while to steer him away from a tree and such.  Also this is the ALPHA of the standalone.  Wouldn't this be the right time to test a autorun feature out?  If it doesn't work they can remove it easy.

Oh and on a last note.

"Back in my day we held that W key for hours, and we liked it."-Ymath.  Okay then.  Don't use the autorun feature if they add it.  Also I am rather confused by how you LIKED holding w.  I can understand not caring but liking it.  Yeesh easily amused I guess.  :P  (Also what time does "back in the day" refer to?")

Edited by harley001
  • Like 1

I don't really understand the hate for this, it's just a suggestion to help ease physical discomfort. 

And still 80% of the time, I probably won't be using it, but for that last 20% where I'm just running in a straight line while looking around with ALT while I look around with my head.

The argument that this would detract from the realism and play the game for you is odd, there's already a reload button that reloads your gun for you without further input, a far more physically complicated process than walking that is fully automated.

Perhaps hardcore servers will have some sort of reload quicktime event or surgeon simulator style controls when you reload, because you know, we can't have the game playing itself for you.

Honestly though, I don't see the problem in adding this, It's a simple toggle, and currently people are using odd scripts or jamming crap into their keyboards to get the same effect. It's pointless, and it creates physical discomfort.  

Lets just shrink the map down to 1/4 its size, no more running!

While we're at it, lets remove zombies from the game, because they really don't add to the gameplay and are more of an annoyance.

Lets just shrink the map down to 1/4 its size, no more running!

While we're at it, lets remove zombies from the game, because they really don't add to the gameplay and are more of an annoyance.

Resorting to petty insults?  Can you at least give a reason why you hate this suggestion with a passion?  Lets be civil here.  That comment you just wrote didn't really tell me anything about your opinion.  

• Like 1