Bohannan (DayZ)

I dont understand why there is no AUTO RUN KEY!!!

As i see it, this is a feature the devs simply doesnt want in the game.

Its quite simple to make an autorun key, but it has been on the "development table", neither in the MOD or now in the SA.

I doubt you will ever get an autorun key tbh, and it wont really be needed either, when we get some kind of fatigue and weight system implemented.

This is not something Rocket likes :)

Rocket will like what Bohemia tells him to like

Rocket will like what Bohemia tells him to like

Ehm, no, not really mate.

I can hear from your post, you dont know much about BI and thats fine :)

But BI has very free reigns, for theyre lead developers and we have seen this in both Arma 3 and now DayZ.

Its not about the money for them, and if it was, Arma 3 would have looked like BF4 by now lol.

They do it out of passion, and they take they're time to do it right.

Dont ever believe anything else :)

So basicly Rocket has a ton of ideas for this game and he can do prretty much what he wants (pretty much) as long as he delivers a game he truly likes.

BI Have always been known for making "niche" games, and DayZ is a good example of this :)

I love how the responses in this topic vary...

50% of the responses are people that have Jerry rigged their own auto run with coins, wedges and macro's and are AGAINST putting this into the game (sorry, but that is just retarded). 

The other 50% of people is calling someone a wussy for wanting something that (apparently) more people desire otherwise they wouldn't be using the Jerry rigged methods. 

Personally, i don't see that big of a point, when playernumbers on servers increase you don't want to "Autorun" through the open fields. It will be one of those features that is useful 80% of the time, and then it gets you killed :P But if people want this in the game, i see no issue with it being added..

• Like 1

But if people want this in the game, i see no issue with it being added..

Because this game is a sim where you control the majority of all your actions.

Because this game is a sim where you control the majority of all your actions.

most sims i play that require as much running have auto run keys as default mapping :huh:

its standard. give a option then everyones happy eveb the elitist non auto run key crowd :lol:

I use my grinder, fits nicely on my keyboard key and my laptop key. :D

Edited by raezion420

its standard. 

This is where you just lost your argument.  Where does it say it's standard?  The dumbing down of the game industry runs off this mantra.  "<insert game title here> has is so everything must have it"

Lol this post is full of win!

been doin this coin trick since the beginning

Sorry to be blunt but NOPE! bad idea if you get crippled you can just point yourself in a direction and then go do whatever you want and would actually allow for massive trips to be made seamlessly by listening to gameplay and doing whatever else you wanted to make sure you weren't being eaten by zeds

I dont understand how people are against this. All it does is make the person not have to hold down W. People already jam objects in their keyboard or people macro the key anyway. Having an in game key for it just makes it simpler. It is not like holding W takes skill. The player still has to control direction and watch for danger. They cant just turn on auto run and go afk till they get to their destiantion.

It isn't a matter of 'skill', it's a matter of 'if you can't even be arsed to press a single button then stay in Kamyshovo'. xD

• Like 1

I stopped putting a coin or some object between the keys when I broke my keyboard playing Dayz mod.

Please make an autorun key!

I tried different macros using autohotkey but It doesn't seem to work in Dayz, it works in other games though.

The only macro I got to work is made using razer mouse macro program.

Anyone got luck with any macro program for aut0run?

Edited by Wili

I saw in one of the live streams that Dean held where he states they didnt want to go in the direction of using an auto run key.  WTF!

This game is 225 km squared and yet you still persist on not adding a freaking auto run key?  So far the developers have been pretty involved in what the communities needs are, from deciding what guns we want to other things.  Bohemia do yourself a favor and add an Auto Run feature.  My W key is begging you and I'm braving carpal tunnel syndrome just playing this game.

Because you the designers (or maybe just Dean) feel that it isn't appropriate doesn't mean that your player base (and paying customers) wouldn't like to have this feature.  If you want the hardcore realism you could simply, ohh I dont know... Not bind an auto run key?!

Anyone else feel that this simple feature should be added?  I know im not alone here so lets speak up.

God if you want auto run so bad then go out and buy a gaming keyboard with macro recording (i.e razor blackwidow).

Even tho I've got one I havent felt the need to configure it even when Im playing on a no turbo run harcore server. Maybe because I know the map inside out so dont need to do any unneccesary running.

God if you want auto run so bad then go out and buy a gaming keyboard with macro recording (i.e razor blackwidow).

Even tho I've got one I havent felt the need to configure it even when Im playing on a no turbo run harcore server. Maybe because I know the map inside out so dont need to do any unneccesary running.

Or you know the dev could add a auto-run key so we don't have to spend a ton of money on a pointless hi-tec keyboard?

I'm using a laptop, a coin will not work with my system. Hence why I made this post because it really should be a feature. for those complaining about it, nobody would be forcing you to use it.

I built a cyborg to manually hold down the W key for me when I had to take a squirt. But it became sentient and tried to kill me for my beans. So I turned off it's power. Then I removed everything but it's head and one hand. Now it calls me a combat logger and gives me the finger.

I hate this game.

I block my "W" with toothpick.

I superglued a tack to my W key because I'm a fucking man and moving forward is worth the pain. The same way I slice my trigger finger open with a razor and let it get infected so I can really connect with my trigger pull while I'm sniping fools in Cambodia during holidays.

• Like 1

Its simple really....

All the makeshift solutions only prove the need for a more elegant, in-game solution ;)

I really dont see how anyone could argue against it. OK so it would be a little immersion breaking to se a guy stuck on a tree. But if people are just rigging it or using keyboard functions, then that's gonna happen anyway. And if you don't like using it you don have to :)

I still dont understand how people are against this. And how is it dumbing down the game?? Holding the W key isn't exactly the most intellectually challenging thing on the planet. 

Instead of people jamming something in their keyboard, or suggesting people buy high end gaming keyboards, maybe the Devs could just add a simple autorun toggle in the controls. 

Seriously I really don't understand how people are against this. I haven't seen a single reasonable argument for why an autorun key should not be added. 

Because they want you to actually play the game. I'd be all for it, I've seen so many MMO players that don't pay any attention with their autorun key on they'd be perfect targets to pick off. Dead before they drop their hotpockets.

cause some people actually feel like, I dunno, playing the game

This.  This is not WarZ, lol if you want a casual arcade experience, by all means go play that or Nether or Rust or some other crappy wanna-be survival game.  DayZ is meant to be an anti-game, and not a casual nor friendly experience.  If you can't handle that, don't let the door hit you on the way out. 

I fully support no auto run key.

• Like 1

cause some people actually feel like, I dunno, playing the game

What, by holding down the W key.

The Sad people this game attracts.

• Like 1

Auto run is something that be easily obtained by having a mouse with macro keys. I've tried it before it seems to leave you open to attack more than anything else. I don't understand why folks want less control of a game that demands total control to live to eat one more can of beans. Just saying....