Bohannan (DayZ)

I dont understand why there is no AUTO RUN KEY!!!

I don't see a point of auto running since you need to stop at strategic positions anyway to check for threat. You can never take for granted that a area is safe in arma/dayz

I don't see a point of auto running since you need to stop at strategic positions anyway to check for threat. You can never take for granted that a area is safe in arma/dayz

You could just yolo it like 50% of the player base.

Then you could rage that you got sniped/hacked to pieces on the forums.

• Like 1

Why do you care?! If the op finds it useful, let him use it! No one is forcing you to do the same.

Everyone from the UK this works well with a 2p coin...I know "Expensive" right? ;)

£2 coin for us rich cunts....

24216673_dealwithit_gif.gif

Although i have no intention to nor have ever auto-ran. 

Edited by Senna s1979

Why I want an auto-run-key:

• Gives me a little time to roll things I wanna smoke
  • Get something to drink/eat
  • Go to the bathroom
  • Relax left hand
  • Good for the durability of the keyboard

I could do it wih a macro or somehow block the "W" key but:

• I'm too lazy
  • My keyboard might take damage
  • I'll have stuff lying around on my desk
  • My keyboard doesn't support macro
  • Are macros legal to use?

Why people don't want me to have a dedicated auto-run-key:

• I could get killed while running around
  • It's not realistic
  • Promotes AFK
  • The devs said so and therefore it's engraved in stone
  • There is no point in having that option

WTF! Give me an auto-run-key!

Edited by Snoopie
  • Like 1

There is a difference between "coming up with a creative solution to a supposed 'problem'" and "having a game feature that enables / encourages something", though. That should be kept in mind.

It's pure convenience that can be helpful, but that can also be "abused" somewhat. Like third person, kinda. How? Simple. It CAN take away a certain key part of the game and difficulty. Part of the game is active travel. Case: Spawn somewhere or just get to some part of the map without really playing by aiming in the rough direction, then using auto-run to get there. You may get stuck here and there, but with or without slight corrections you can basically travel far without really "playing". "Oh shit I just died, oh well screw this Imma just run back via auto-run!" *alt-tab and do other stuff, only check briefly from time to time until back at old or intended spot*

That would be something that is POSSIBLE with an auto-run feature, even if the majority that use it were to play during that (as in, they just don't hold down the "W" key or similar). 

And that could be one of the reasons it's not (yet) a feature. At least that is my assumption. Again, there's a difference between "doing it yourself" and "X being provided through the game", in my opinion.

E: I'd say that the little effort you save may or may not really come in handy. What I mean is: If you really want to put less stress on your hands while playing / typing / being on the PC, you should do certain stuff from time to time. Stuff people in offices or so do. Shake your hands a bit, wiggle your arms, w/e. Stuff you learn in computer courses or even school.

Move around a bit, etc.

Edited by Combine

This is a forum, no? Forums is for discussions, no?

It is, and if you want to discuss the matter, fire away. Name one reason why or how having an auto run feature will affect your game play experience in a negative way and therefore should not be implemented.

*snip*

But all this is true for the "coin in the keyboard" method as well.

Again i think the majority of the people arguing against this apparently are missing out on the part where it would be optional.  I dont see how someone else using auto run would affect your game play.

• Like 1

But all this is true for the "coin in the keyboard" method as well.

But is that supported by the game such as VOIP (on a local level) then? No, it is not. That's my main point at least. Same with TS or any other external voice comm. You can, but it's not a game feature apart from local level comms.

I put something heavy on my keyboard but I think it's stupid how auto run Is not already a feature. You could do it in Arma if you opened the Steam overlay while holding w but that n longer works. Why make things awkward for people, not like you can stop them putting things on their button and it doesn't actually add to the game.

Filthy casuals, I believe we should remove the auto-stepping feature from W where when you are holding W, the avatar does each step for you. Not hardcore enough.

I want to make it so that every time you press or hold W, you only take one step forward. That way sprinting between towns becomes a marathon not only for the character, but for the lazy prick behind the keyboard as well. You want to sprint? MASH THAT BUTTON FASTER, BITCH.

This also has the added benefit of breaking every single stuck key macro/coin wedge going.

Edited by Kra
  • Like 4

Even if for whatever reason you can't jam a coin under keys or something.  Just get a small stack and put something heavy enough to push the key down on it

At the time of this writing I'm using my wallet.

Do none of you people own cats? I just have my Maine coon place her paw on the W. She sits there happily purring while I do what I need to.

• Like 1

Why I want an auto-run-key:

• Gives me a little time to roll things I wanna smoke
  • Get something to drink/eat
  • Go to the bathroom
  • Relax left hand
  • Good for the durability of the keyboard

• I'm too lazy
  • My keyboard might take damage
  • I'll have stuff lying around on my desk
  • My keyboard doesn't support macro
  • Are macros legal to use?

Why people don't want me to have a dedicated auto-run-key:

• I could get killed while running around
  • It's not realistic
  • Promotes AFK
  • The devs said so and therefore it's engraved in stone
  • There is no point in having that option

WTF! Give me an auto-run-key!

Why I want an auto-run key:

• Right now there are no vehicles so we have to run %90 of the play time.
  • Holding W for 50 minutes is really giving my hands ache
  • It's not entertaining and really stupid to hold a single button, it's not a game nor a simulation element.
  • You don't push buttons or use keyboard in real life action. (holding W is realistic lol)

• I just don't want to, why would a game force me to use another software other than the game itself?
  • That's something should already be implemented to alpha since DayZ is not meant to be played this way. There are vehicles in DayZ mod.

Why people doN't want me to have a dedicated auto-run key

• They think holding a single button for one hour is realistic
  • They have nothing better to do than watch a guy running in the woods.
  • They think me being careless and run while I'm afk could hurt the game (seriously?)
  • They're just retarded.
Edited by atmaca

Honestly, in a game where the split second it takes to get your hand back on WASD and react after unexpectedly meeting a bandit while auto-running could cost you all of your progress I really don't see why anyone would want to use an auto-run key.

You can run from Krastinov to Kamenka in less than 50 minutes, so I highly doubt anyone has been holding W for that long...

Edited by Mos1ey

You're bound to cross someone's field of view and auto running that would just get you killed.

yep, it's a dangerous way to play IMO. in the mod I killed a few players that just obliviously ran by me. I'm not a KOS type of player, but them just running by me in such a high risk game made me think they had to die

cause some people actually feel like, I dunno, playing the game

I've invested maybe 6 years in World of Warcraft with in total maybe 2 years total played time. *sad I know*

WoW has an auto run key. and Blizzard sells VASTLY more games than Bohemia... point in question. don't tell ya granny how to suck eggs.

go tell the number 1 players in WoW that they don't "play the game" cos they use auto run.. watch the backlash

Honestly, in a game where the split second it takes to get your hand back on WASD and react after unexpectedly meeting a bandit while auto-running could cost you all of your progress I really don't see why anyone would want to use an auto-run key.

Not everyone wants a "play the game for you" solution so that we can leave our character to run across Chernarus while AFK. Personally I would still have my hand on WASD, I just wouldn't have my finger pressed down constantly. I'd probably bind the auto-run key (should we ever get one) to a mouse button so that I can turn it on while I am running and then disable it quickly by manually pressing W. This is how I have bound my perma-walk key.

My old finger joints are simply suffering from having to hold down W all the time, I dunno why anyone would object to an optional keystroke that they don't have to use and that won't play the game for you (or would probably get you killed if you tried doing it that way).

I hope the fatigue system becomes so harsh that you won't be able to run forever

I hope the fatigue system becomes so harsh that you won't be able to run forever

I tend to jog everywhere and walk when I am tired, I still have to hold W. I still want a key even if you get your wish.