SmashT

November Round-up

Someone tell me why Rocket is on Reddit doing his Q&A session and not working on what needs to be worked on?

#trainwreck

#nothabbening

#al_ids_lods

It's Saturday.

Deans under a shitload of pressure. Respect his work, I want the standalone just as much as all of you, but remember he is an indie dev and in reality none of us 'deserve' the game. At all. B)

• Like 1

One thing I really want to know is if there will be the addition of gore to this game.

Can't have a zombie survival game without some good old blood spurting and organ tearing :P

Hell we got the animations in the mod already xD just minus the part where the body is being torn open

Edited by zfleming12

he is an indie dev

Dean Hall is not an indie dev. He works for a major game development company as lead project manager or whatever his position is.

• Like 2

Do we have a map of the new chernus yet?

Do you really want one? I think the game is much better when I don't know where everything is. Getting lost, then frantically running around looking for civilization on your last can of beans was the best thing ever.

I'm going to try to avoid loot maps from external sources for as long as humanly possible.

• Like 11

Do you really want one? I think the game is much better when I don't know where everything is. Getting lost, then frantically running around looking for civilization on your last can of beans was the best thing ever.

I'm going to try to avoid loot maps from external sources for as long as humanly possible.

Screw loot maps, I just want to see what's different xD but yeah you do have a valid point.

And I also just realized that we won't be seeing gore effects untill ragdolls are added in so there's that (if they do decide to use gore effects :( )

Someone tell me why Rocket is on Reddit doing his Q&A session and not working on what needs to be worked on?

#trainwreck

#nothabbening

#al_ids_lods

Because he's not responsible for the final bit of optimization that is necessary for release?  :huh: 

We currently have two "lead" programmers. Both are focused solely on performance. We have two senior programmers who alternate between bugfixing, performance, and network improvements. We then have two programmers on more longterm assignments: We have one programmer working on physics/ragdoll, another on rendering stuff. Finally we have one programmer on loot spawning and central server architecture.

But let's burn him at the stake anyway right?  :rolleyes:

HumanBeing25, on 09 Nov 2013 - 6:10 PM, said:HumanBeing25, on 09 Nov 2013 - 6:10 PM, said:

Dean Hall is not an indie dev. He works for a major game development company as lead project manager or whatever his position is.

My bad. But being a dev is certainly new to him.

And I think not knowing the map is the experience of dayz, like Max said. Getting lost, surviving etc. I guess we'll still know the basics though. (How to get to elektro, etc.)

Edited by Dekkymane
  • Like 1

Because he's not responsible for the final bit of optimization that is necessary for release?  :huh: 

And now i want to eat a steak.

• Like 2

#trainwreck

#nothabbening

#al_ids_lods

What they have to do right now isnt really his department.

There are only 25 people on SA development though, with ~5 more who dont work from the office.

Edited by Krobar

in EA there is too bunch of small studios/teams, but im pretty sure u wouldnt call em indie

• Like 1

Just trying to diagnose the condition of the hype train ;)

Hopefully they'll retain the controller functionality from ARMA 2. Wasn't the best, but it works okay for me. I hope it's not such a drastic change in control schemes as to marginalize the use of controllers entirely.

Just trying to diagnose the condition of the hype train ;)

I think we stopped at a station to let more people on...

• Like 1

*peeks her head out* Also there seems to be a giant....thing on the track...

Oh wait that's just Rocket's hand blocking progress untill he and his crew finsihing cleaning up the tracks ahead! Better get comfy! :)

Yup ;D

let's just hope no crazy person has left a suitcase with 2kg of explosives in it, that will detonate on the 12th of November, at 12:00pm.

Are we talking independent or the new meaning of the word; "indie" as a genre more than a publishing model.

But BIS publish their games themselves, right? (I genuinely don't know, serious question) That would make them independent. Don't know whether this status would have changed now that they are releasing with Steam. Damn jungle of semantics and what meaning you put into words. :)

in EA there is too bunch of small studios/teams, but im pretty sure u wouldnt call em indie

No, because they have a publisher. EA.

There are only 25 people on SA development though, with ~5 more who dont work from the office.

Size doesn't matter*. Hiyo!

(*Cloud Atlas, the movie, cost over $100,000,000 to make. It's still an independent movie and probably the most expensive one ever)

Edited by Terrorviktor
  • Like 3

Are we talking independent or the new meaning of the word; "indie" as a genre more than a publishing model.

But BIS publish their games themselves, right? (I genuinely don't know, serious question) That would make them independent. Don't know whether this status would have changed now that they are releasing with Steam. Damn jungle of semantics and what meaning you put into words. :)

No, because they have a publisher. EA.

Size doesn't matter*. Hiyo!

(*Cloud Atlas, the movie, cost over $100,000,000 to make. It's still an independent movie and probably the most expensive one ever)

Indie is usually used to refer to a very small or new business. For example, 7 Day to Die's company, The Fun Pimps Interactive, only has very few employes until recently, and doesn't have a big market (until recently).

If indie means independent then even the biggest company such as Billzard and Infinity Ward or whatever it's called, classifies as indie - which makes little sense.

*snip*

Beans for the Colonel Flagg signature!

• Like 1

Infinity Ward is not Indie in any sense of the word as Activision is their publisher. Also Activision owns Blizzard and Blizzard uses publishers as well. So neither of your examples work as no one would call them indie even under Terrorviktor's description. 

Indie is usually used to refer to a very small or new business. For example, 7 Day to Die's company, The Fun Pimps Interactive, only has very few employes until recently, and doesn't have a big market (until recently).

If indie means independent then even the biggest company such as Billzard and Infinity Ward or whatever it's called, classifies as indie - which makes little sense.

No, that is exactly what it means. Blizzard and Infinity Ward have Activision as a publisher so they aren't independent studios.

• Like 3

No, that is exactly what it means. Blizzard and Infinity Ward have Activision as a publisher so they aren't independent studios.

So you're saying BI is indie?

That tweet that Rocket made about the zombie wall collision made me laugh, glad that will be sorted for the standalone!

and why do they often go independant ? so if the game goes bust or down it doesnt effect the main company ;)