SmashT

November Round-up

For people who don't want to go to reddit here are some of rocket's posts

http://www.reddit.com/user/rocket2guns

Oh man thank you. I am currently living in a country where reddit, facebook and twitter are blocked and I am too lazy to always switch to my proxy... So this is greatly appreciated. THANKS!

• Like 1

Oh man thank you. I am currently living in a country where reddit, facebook and twitter are blocked and I am too lazy to always switch to my proxy... So this is greatly appreciated. THANKS!

I can see the blocking of reddit being a semi-good thing... but facebook and twitter? How do you know when all your friends are pooping/eating food/having babies? And what about when celebs are fighting with each other?... The horror...

• Like 2

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

Next update ༼  ◕◕ ༽

For people who don't want to go to reddit here are some of rocket's posts

http://www.reddit.com/user/rocket2guns

Mate, I've written my own games, I've written plenty of C++ software. Don't try and educate me.

I'd love to play those games.

Mind linking me to the triple A projects you've been involved in?

• Like 1

Guess some of you was wrong and i was right.

There is no release anytime soon.

I honestly think we are looking at maybe 2-3 months!

Lol

• Like 1

Mate, I've written my own games, I've written plenty of C++ software. Don't try and educate me.

Hahahaha

Your assumption being that to be involved in the game industry, you have to make AAA titles.

Hahahaha

Put that thing down, sire. You're going to hurt yourself someday.

Your assumption being that to be involved in the game industry, you have to make AAA titles.

His assumption is that a game has to be developed like major game companies develop them - they don't.

I am merely pointing out that I am know how games work, I know how individual parts of the computer work, I know how (to some extend) how the Windows operating system works, and so on, and so on.

I can see the blocking of reddit being a semi-good thing... but facebook and twitter? How do you know when all your friends are pooping/eating food/having babies? And what about when celebs are fighting with each other?... The horror...

Well facebook I use for uploading some pics to show my parents, brother and friends, that's all. I just mentioned twitter because I thought rocket posted on there before but I could be wrong.

Did I forget mentioning that youtube is blocked here too? Now that hurts....

Triple A? What medication are you on? Do you know how computer games work?? I've written OpenGL games and tried my way with DirectX. I've written plenty of WinAPI based C++ software, including cheats for some popular games, and things alike it.

All I am pointing out is that I know at the very least the basics of these things. Trying to educate me with Youtube pop culture nonsense of bottleneck and cliche ideas like those, are not going impress me and certainly not educate me.

Well facebook I use for uploading some pics to show my parents, brother and friends, that's all. I just mentioned twitter because I thought rocket posted on there before but I could be wrong.

Did I forget mentioning that youtube is blocked here too? Now that hurts....

Ouch. I wouldn't even know how to play the guitar without youtube.

Edited by SalamanderAnder

It started in July/August 2012, so.. I didn't get to experience it that much either as I started in June.

I picked up Arma 2 OA in that steam summer sale.

Didn't get right into DayZ though, I downloaded the only Arma 2 part first by mistake and ended up playing several days worth of CTI.

• Like 1

I'm not worried about the client performance, it's likely going to be similar to Arma2 or slightly better. Unless you have an utter potato rig most people will be fine.

I am more concerned about the settings and hope some of them will be either locked down or have limited changeability. That sounds strange, but it's simply because people have a tendency just to stick everything on Low to try and gain some advantage in spotting players.

I agree!  Don't allow changes in brightness!  That's one exploit even I have used and wish I hadn't!

Doesn't ARMA III have some sort of inherent graphical quality which marginalizes the gamma tweaking? I recall seeing some demo screens of how it worked.

I think a better solution is to just make nights look more varied so that people don't have to resort to using the gamma slider. Nights aren't brightly lit scenes nor are they black holes. Most nights, even in areas sans electricity, are somewhere in the middle.

Edited by Katana67

Triple A? What medication are you on? Do you know how computer games work?? I've written OpenGL games and tried my way with DirectX. I've written plenty of WinAPI based C++ software, including cheats for some popular games, and things alike it.

All I am pointing out is that I know at the very least the basics of these things. Trying to educate me with Youtube pop culture nonsense of bottleneck and cliche ideas like those, are not going impress me and certainly not educate me.

Since you appeared to be so very confident in your own skills and keep prattling on about your education in that area I assumed you are, or were, working for a major corporation. My bad.

Just keep in mind that I don't give a shit about your level of education - nobody in here does. I also don't know where you got the idea from that I have any intention of educating you

I'm simply interested in those games that you've created.

Where can I buy (or download in case they're freeware) them?

Edited by Elo
  • Like 2

Is any one having doubts now about them using the Arma 2 Engine as a Base and then redeveloping to what they currently have . Was it a good choice ? Is this what you would have done and does it make good sense ? I guess on the monetary side they didnt have to pay for the Engine , however in man hours of development versus dollars it may have been cheaper to start with another Engine.

Now dont get me wrong I don't know the answer to the questions I'm asking , I'm doing so as many Members here are quite knowledgeable on Game Development where I am not, so what do you Guys think ?

Will these performance Issues ever be fully conquered ?

EDIT : This FREE game is using the Half Life 2 Engine, I thought that was a pretty dated engine but look at the great Graphics

nrh3_zpsc7850d8f.jpg

Edited by YZ250

Is any one having doubts now about them using the Arma 2 Engine as a Base and then redeveloping to what they currently have. Was it a good choice ?

Personally, I don't really have much praise to give the engines used by BI. That being said, I certainly don't fault Rocket and the DayZ team for using what they're familiar with. I appreciate that they've taken some time to streamline the engine for Standalone. I get that they (and we) want Standalone to have a relatively quick Alpha release.

With all of that in mind, I feel that it really limits DayZ though, specifically with regard to the map. DayZ, as it grows and evolves, is a game that will require either a map exponentially larger than Chernarus or a map with some level of procedural generation. It doesn't sound like the engine will allow for this to any degree.

Likewise, the current reliance on the ARMA server model (i.e. divided instances) is an obstacle that will have to be addressed sometime in the life-cycle of DayZ.

Edited by Katana67

... lol no. That's not how games work, but anyway, if you read his Reddit posts or just scroll a bit back in this thread (I don't have to freaking link every post, just look people!!!) you'll find where he said it.

You don't seem to have a clue of how a computer works m8 and I can't be arsed trying to explain it in detail, sorry :P

Is any one having doubts now about them using the Arma 2 Engine as a Base and then redeveloping to what they currently have . Was it a good choice ? Is this what you would have done and does it make good sense ? I guess on the monetary side they didnt have to pay for the Engine , however in man hours of development versus dollars it may have been cheaper to start with another Engine.

Now dont get me wrong I don't know the answer to the questions I'm asking , I'm doing so as many Members here are quite knowledgeable on Game Development where I am not, so what do you Guys think ?

EDIT : This FREE game is using the Half Life 2 Engine, I thought that was a pretty dated engine but look at the great Graphics

Can Source do 225+ km^2 world not split into discrete levels? can it do milsim grade weapons simulation? For that matter what existing engine besides RV can and available for licensing? Rocket is not making a corridor shooter.

• Like 5

Can Source do 225+ km^2 world not split into discrete levels? can it do milsim grade weapons simulation? For that matter what existing engine besides RV can and available for licensing? Rocket is not making a corridor shooter.

Why are you answering my questions with questions, I dont know the answer hence the reason I asked 5 Questions. If you cant answer them how are you helping,

Any performance issue can be conquered if gone about the right way.  In this aspect I do believe that Dean and BI are going in the right direction.  I mean after all, didn't Rocket say he would rather release a great game than a buggy non playable piece of garbage?  As to the graphics, that's one of the objectives (be that as it may a minor objective as of late) to deal with.  Source Engine is a very limited in what it can do, but I digress as to the topic of games such as Rust etc.  The reason Dean used the Arma Engine is because he wanted to reformat it to fit his concept about how a survival oriented game should feel.  The atmosphere, the player relationships, the base building, the coherent platform of tension and worry, and even the small details such as wildlife would be incredibly limited in other engines.  Let's say rhetorically that the game was built on the premise of GTA V.  In this aspect, the game would be severely limited in regards to Survival.  While you can die, the implementation of hunger, thirst, need for sleep etc. would be extremely difficult due to the limitations of the engine.  In this regard, it was a much better choice to use Arma 2's engine because they already had the foundation and premise for a feature tailored to these needs.

In the words of a wise man:  "Why try to replace something that isn't broken?  Improve upon it.  Nurture it; but most of all, don't abandon it."

Rocket was not worried with monetary gain in the production of this.  While he, and the company he works for, do seek monetary gain from this, it's not the primary concept on which the game was decided upon.  Rocket wanted to give the Day Z community what they truly yearn for:  an ultimate survival game tailored to meet the criteria of whatever is thrown at it in that regard.

Delay the standalone for all I care.  I know Dean is taking his time because he wants to do it right.  He wants to see his prodigy grow and become one of the best survival games out there.  This is to say, Rocket does what he wishes and what he believes is right.  In this regard, I agree with Rocket.  Let's see how Day Z turns the crowd whenever it's released.  I've already got money backed for it, and I'll gladly buy it when it's released.  Now when that is, is a matter of debate.  I for one have remained patient, but not without frustration of course (I'm only human).  It'll come in do time.  Just be patient everyone.  Our day (Z) will come

Edited by Leo Leonardo III
  • Like 9

Any performance issue can be conquered if gone about the right way.  In this aspect I do believe that Dean and BI are going in the right direction.  I mean after all, didn't Rocket say he would rather release a great game than a buggy non playable piece of garbage?  As to the graphics, that's one of the objectives (be that as it may a minor objective as of late) to deal with.  Source Engine is a very limited in what it can do, but I digress as to the topic of games such as Rust etc.  The reason Dean used the Arma Engine is because he wanted to reformat it to fit his concept about how a survival oriented game should feel.  The atmosphere, the player relationships, the base building, the coherent platform of tension and worry, and even the small details such as wildlife would be incredibly limited in other engines.  Let's say rhetorically that the game was built on the premise of GTA V.  In this aspect, the game would be severely limited in regards to Survival.  While you can die, the implementation of hunger, thirst, need for sleep etc. would be extremely difficult due to the limitations of the engine.  In this regard, it was a much better choice to use Arma 2's engine because they already had the foundation and premise for a feature tailored to these needs.

In the words of a wise man:  "Why try to replace something that isn't broken?  Improve upon it.  Nurture it; but most of all, don't abandon it."

Rocket was not worried with monetary gain in the production of this.  While he, and the company he works for, do seek monetary gain from this, it's not the primary concept on which the game was decided upon.  Rocket wanted to give the Day Z community what they truly yearn for:  an ultimate survival game tailored to meet the criteria of whatever is thrown at it in that regard.

Delay the standalone for all I care.  I know Dean is taking his time because he wants to do it right.  He wants to see his prodigy grow and become one of the best survival games out there.  This is to say, Rocket does what he wishes and what he believes is right.  In this regard, I agree with Rocket.  Let's see how Day Z turns the crowd whenever it's released.  I've already got money backed for it, and I'll gladly buy it when it's released.  Now when that is, is a matter of debate.  I for one have remained patient, but not without frustration of course (I'm only human).  It'll come in do time.  Just be patient everyone.  Our day (Z) will come

Thanks for the detailed explanation Leo

While I do agree in that the engine is very limited, I believe the way you went about it is wrong.  Your answers are clear and concise for any who are familiar with both Source and Real Virtuality.  Each engine is tailored to meet two very distinct needs.  Source, as you say is tailored to a first person shooter.  It was designed with the concepts of Counter Strike and Half Life in mind, not a massive, open-world scenario.  Real Virtuality, as tailored to this need, is still a limited engine in its own right.  Let us not forget Take on Helicopters, though this is a minor concept in comparison, it is still nonetheless an engine based in Arma's theatre.  Both are suited for what Arma strives to be:  a military sim.  Now, whether or not you enjoy these games are entirely based on your opinion.  Day Z Standalone, however based on Arma 2's Real Virtuality engine it is, is still nonetheless a standalone title, and will have its own distinct features.  Each game can utilize the same engine, or an updated form of an engine to better meet the needs of its criteria.  In the case of the transition from GTA IV and GTA V, the drastic change as a result of major improvements upon the classic engine utilized in four made its appearance in five, and has set the standard for future Rockstar titles.  Whose to say that this is not possible in regards to DayZ?  Arma 3's improved Real Virtuality engine cannot be compared with that of Day Z's be that as it may it is derived from the same style.  Engines are only what the game developers make of them; how they utilize the engines to meet their true potential, or to suit their needs.  In this aspect, Dean is doing precisely the correct thing:  tailoring Real Virtuality to meet the criteria of his game.

Again, let me note that each one of you is entitled to your own opinions.  I am in no way attempting to coerce you into any form of thought.  Just giving you a different perspective.

• Like 6

It is amazing how fast the tone of a thread can change over a few posts.

• Like 2