SmashT

November Round-up

Ill meet you in on the field then.

• Like 1

It feels to me like Dayz community and developers are like a big family. They care to tell us about the stuff they do and treat us not as clients but friends they are doing a favor to. I never experienced that closeness between players and devs. And it feels cool.

We need family counseling for sure. We redefine disfunction here.

• Like 2

Rocket said on Reddit the zombie glitch is not a delay worthy big and won't affect release.

The Mod and the Standalone use completely different architectures - they aren't comparable at all - in the mod all the computation is done by the client rather than handled by the server.

For the server 20fps is more than enough, it won't affect you as a player at all - your framerate on the client machine will not be affected - the server FPS is only for objects held server-side like zombies.

hope this is true i guess well see how the performance differes to the mod.

Impressive that a lead project manager and programmer at Bohemia Interactive could make such a big mistake to confuse the clipping/lagging of zombies with poor server performance and not poor path design.. Oh, well. At least they've found out about it, and at least now it can get fixed.

This game will depend almost entirely on the perceived threat of the zed.

Remember your first time playing. Ifyour like me it involved hours of crawling around avoiding detection. Until you figured out Zeds were very easy to deal with. You could run through Cherno with a Congo line you could later lose in the woods.

Things like Zeds running faster than you would be one way to instill 'the fear' of the zed. That fear will totally change the way this game is played.

Remember your first time playing. Ifyour like me it involved hours of crawling around avoiding detection. Until you figured out Zeds were very easy to deal with. You could run through Cherno with a Congo line you could later lose in the woods.

Things like Zeds running faster than you would be one way to instill 'the fear' of the zed. That fear will totally change the way this game is played.

How awesome would it be that there was a way to track how many zombies/infected/walkers are following you and with every new zombie following you your chance of tripping(letting the zombies catch up) would increase. I would still like to be able to run just as fast as the zombie, but with a mechanic like that it would ad allot more tension.

Impressive that a lead project manager and programmer at Bohemia Interactive could make such a big mistake to confuse the clipping/lagging of zombies with poor server performance and not poor path design.. Oh, well. At least they've found out about it, and at least now it can get fixed.

did he say that the wrong pathways are related to rubberbanding when the server is tanking?

That wouldn't even make any sense at all since the zombies would appear to "rubberband" only indoors then

Edited by Elo

How awesome would it be that there was a way to track how many zombies/infected/walkers are following you and with every new zombie following you your chance of tripping(letting the zombies catch up) would increase. I would still like to be able to run just as fast as the zombie, but with a mechanic like that it would ad allot more tension.

I like it but it sounds labor intensive for programming. What if a lower percentage of Zeds ran faster than the player? You would HAVE to deal with those quick zeds fast enough as to not get mucked up by the slower running horde behind them.

Your level of smarm is unparalleled

• Like 1

meh

An arbitrary chance to trip depending on the zombies following you sounds extremely gamey and contrived, that's the opposite of what rocket has been trying to do over the past year

I like the Idea of slightly randomized running speed per zombie though

The more you attract the higher the chance that you have attracted a zombie with a high running speed

Edited by Elo

I look forward to seeing larger numbers of zombies chasing us and I do hope that it makes it more of a challenge to loot in major cities :)

But it still won't be the same as it was the first time you played Dayz. That shock-value has pretty much gone by now. I remember shitting my pants when I first heard a zombie snarl in the dark. The more difficult the zombies now, the more annoying they are to veteran Dayz players. You grow accustomed to it. So don't think you'll be reliving those first magical days of Dayz. That is gone forever, unfortunately. But we all have good memories of it.

YOU go you Champ, your earning every dollar they don't pay you

Seriously I dont give a fuck, you are one fucking Idiot Inception lol and remember this your just a fucking Tool on a Forum doing it for nothing, you antagonistic Dick. Ban do whatever, This Forum is that fucked almost all just come back with a changed IP  because none of you fucking Idiots know how to even use or create a Forum. GOOD BYE CUNT

An angry fella. I bet a typical Electro-sniper kind of guy...

But it still won't be the same as it was the first time you played Dayz. That shock-value has pretty much gone by now. I remember shitting my pants when I first heard a zombie snarl in the dark. The more difficult the zombies now, the more annoying they are to veteran Dayz players. You grow accustomed to it. So don't think you'll be reliving those first magical days of Dayz. That is gone forever, unfortunately. But we all have good memories of it.

Idk, Zombies still scare me day or night... and I've been playing this game for...more then year I want to say.. I've lost track

An angry fella. I bet a typical Electro-sniper kind of guy...

His problem, not ours. Moving along here.

Do we have a map of the new chernus yet?

Edited by zfleming12

Idk, Zombies still scare me day or night... and I've been playing this game for...more then year I want to say.. I've lost track

Do we have a map of the new chernus yet?

Meh, zombies never really scared me in the first place (both as a concept and in DayZ, I would credit the saturation of the genre to that more than anything). But, part of it was always that zombies are pretty much a non-threat. They're scary to me, insofar as a nuisance is concerned in revealing my position to other players. Unto themselves, they aren't really all that frightening.

This is not to say that they couldn't or shouldn't be, they should. But part of that has to do with making the interaction with zombies a bit more regular (in terms of frequency) and making them a threat.

No, we've not seen a map of Chernarus Plus. However, we've seen snippets from some of their convention videos of the map. Specifically, the north looks much more built up. Which is a bummer, as I really want to see some solid wilderness in Standalone. Likewise, there appear to be more towns/cities along the western edge of the map.

• Like 1

Meh, zombies never really scared me in the first place (both as a concept and in DayZ, I would credit the saturation of the genre to that more than anything). But, part of it was always that zombies are pretty much a non-threat. They're scary to me, insofar as a nuisance is concerned in revealing my position to other players. Unto themselves, they aren't really all that frightening.

This is not to say that they couldn't or shouldn't be, they should. But part of that has to do with making the interaction with zombies a bit more regular (in terms of frequency) and making them a threat.

No, we've not seen a map of Chernarus Plus. However, we've seen snippets from some of their convention videos of the map. Specifically, the north looks much more built up. Which is a bummer, as I really want to see some solid wilderness in Standalone. Likewise, there appear to be more towns/cities along the western edge of the map.

One thing to consider in terms of the scare factor as you have stated is that right now, the most we ever face at a time is like 10 to 20 chasing us.....

And about one to three in the wild.

A larger number, a larger threat, a larger number, a larger moment of "OH SHIT NEED TO GET AWAY NOW!" feeling.

I hope e.e

One thing to consider in terms of the scare factor as you have stated is that right now, the most we ever face at a time is like 10 to 20 chasing us.....

And about one to three in the wild.

A larger number, a larger threat, a larger number, a larger moment of "OH SHIT NEED TO GET AWAY NOW!" feeling.

That and we can outrun them indefinitely, this is a hindrance to their "threat level" when one can just outrun them. You're not encouraged to turn and fight, ever. I value stealthily getting out of sticky situations just as much as I value shooting your way out of them. Even when you do turn and fight (as per the mod) you're likely to miss 50% of your shots and take hits no matter what you do (due to zombie zig-zagging and the intangible nature of how zombies inflict damage).

I'd agree that the overall number of zombies is significant, but there's more to it than that. Honestly, all this talk about "firing your weapon in a city should be suicide" is a bit off-putting to me. It shouldn't be consequence-less, but it shouldn't be insurmountable if you know what you're doing. Just like zombie "senses", they should be counterable through careful gameplay which leaves one vulnerable (i.e. sneaking around).

That and they need to do more damage and less "knockdown". I liked it in DayZ+ where the zombies did tons of damage, you actually had to engage them or work around them. Whereas in the vanilla mod, they're just kind of annoying growling things that trail behind you whenever you're killing bambis.

That and we can outrun them indefinitely, this is a hindrance to their "threat level" when one can just outrun them. You're not encouraged to turn and fight, ever. I value stealthily getting out of sticky situations just as much as I value shooting your way out of them. Even when you do turn and fight (as per the mod) you're likely to miss 50% of your shots and take hits no matter what you do (due to zombie zig-zagging and the intangible nature of how zombies inflict damage).

I'd agree that the overall number of zombies is significant, but there's more to it than that. Honestly, all this talk about "firing your weapon in a city should be suicide" is a bit off-putting to me. It shouldn't be consequence-less, but it shouldn't be insurmountable if you know what you're doing. Just like zombie "senses", they should be counterable through careful gameplay which leaves one vulnerable (i.e. sneaking around).

That and they need to do more damage and less "knockdown". I liked it in DayZ+ where the zombies did tons of damage, you actually had to engage them or work around them. Whereas in the vanilla mod, they're just kind of annoying growling things that trail behind you whenever you're killing bambis.

A balance has to reached for sure.

Someone tell me why Rocket is on Reddit doing his Q&A session and not working on what needs to be worked on?

#trainwreck

#nothabbening

#al_ids_lods

Someone tell me why Rocket is on Reddit doing his Q&A session and not working on what needs to be worked on?

#trainwreck

#nothabbening

#al_ids_lods

A. It's the weekend.

B. He is not your personal slave.

C. He is a human being who has the right to do as he pleases.

D. Is this really even something that has to be explained in this day and age?

E. I want a taco.

• Like 9