rocket

DayZ Developer Blog 3rd August 2013

Also, the flying camera man feels thirsty

tumblr_mqxpuoeFrJ1rd90z0o5_1280.png

I see that big pallet thing of timber...

Does this have anything to do with base building?

• Like 1

Woah that looks amazing but needs some work! Thanks R!  :beans:  :beans:  :beans:  :beans: ..etc Keep it up!

Edited by Zarniwoop
  • Like 1

I see that big pallet thing of timber...

Does this have anything to do with base building?

Severely doubt it.

• Like 1

Nunomcm "Rocket, you mind if I just ask if the 2 months "limit" you said at E3 still applies?"

Rocket "If all things go according to plan, then yes. But my point is regardless of anything else if the product hasn't crawled out of pre-alpha (in terms of what it actually is) then it will wait until it does."

Did something go wrong? 2 months still applies?

• Like 1

1. Please fix the stupid jumping zombies! They didn't look good when you revealed them months ago and they still are broken now. 

2. Are thought the framerate was meant to be getting fixed? It looks like you're running at 15FPS.

3. Please turn off the post processing effects and all the blur and bloom... I just cannot stand to look at game with all the crap turned on, it never looks good and is always the first thing I turn off. 

Tbh you just need to release on Steams Early Access or something, people aren't going to go crazy wanting their money back through that, it's clearly stated in the name Early Access lol. It's taken too long and my friends have lost interest, one who was excited for it last year actually told me last night that he doesn't care anymore and was allowed to play the mod so long that he got bored of Dayz. The longer the people play the mod, the longer people have to wait without anything, then they're just gonna move on... if it gets delayed till after GTA 5 and the new consoles etc. like it'll be even harder to find interest.

• Like 3

I was just thinking, isn't there a way you could kind of "split" animations into two different parts on a model?

For example, you do a separate running animation for the zombie model, assign this animation to their legs or whatever, and then do a separate animation for their upper body? This way it would be easier to achieve a high intensity running swing animation. When you're doing the swing animation, you can then focus on your swing rather than making the entire animation look good.

Sorry if that sounds stupid lol, just thought that would be another way of doing things if it's even possible.

This is exactly what Valve did with the animations for their HL2 models. They used Softimage XSI and they 'blend' animations together. So no it does not sound stupid at all.

I can't find the video anymore, but i remember them showing off how easy it was with the Antlion.

• Like 1

Tried that, but any experienced animator knows that won't work. Because your body has momentum overall - that is affected by positions of your arms and what they are doing. Try waving your arms about when you run - your whole body and legs will move around. If you animate by that (which is a fuckload easier than what we do now), the result looks terrible as the legs are completely independent of the body, with no momentum effects. It stands out to the eye very easily.

I dunno I think that would look pretty great lmao, like some Garry's Mod thing gone wrong.

Tbh why do you need animations? Just have them sliding across the floor in the modelling stance, that was pretty scary in War of the Servers!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ppUl_CBuyz8&t=3522

088828f308df3086a7db917d7d87fbed82494aa2

Edited by Miffy
  • Like 1

Oooh, the bayonet!  It'll be so nice to have when the ammo runs dry, and when wanting to dispatch zombies on-the-sly. Is there now a proper stabby melee mechanic in the game, as opposed to the re-purposed shooting one in the mod? I'm not expecting Left 4 Dead fluidity in this engine, but a more "up close and personal" feel would be welcome.

Thanks for the update and best of luck.  

• Like 1

Why no-one told me a blog excited? Thanks for this  :beans:

• Like 1

Something nice to wake up to on a Saturday morning which can't seem to decide if it's going to be sunny or unsettled.

Playing in first person is going to be awesome, I can feel it in my pants :D

• Like 4

I noticed the steam notifications does this mean the pre-alpha is integrated into steam?

It has been in steam, they use the beta tab with the "DayZ" game.

Just to make everyone else who is a AMD fan like I, the next gen is being built on AMD multi-core multi-threading architecture.  Buying an 8350 now may have lower FPS for current games, but next gen will make up for that.

*edit* As a side not, I won't be seeing DayZ SA till Christmas, and probably really dive into in the summer of 2014.  Just release the game in a year Rocket.  You'll get the fans regardless.  Then we'll get The Division and I'll most likely never look back....

8350 was awesome even for current ones. Basically Arma 2 is the only game I had problems with. But since I play Day Z more then all other games combined, switching to intel was a necessity for me. I didn't like it, but I had no chose, since even last AMD processor didn't solved performance problem for Arma 2 & 3. And I actually thank gods that at least on intel I can play this game comfortably, cause a lot of people on forums said a PC that can give you 60 fps in Cherno simply do not exist. And those statements was pretty believable since Arma 2 uses only up to 3 CPU cores or something like that.

Edited by Gua

Great video, but next time please lower the game sound so we can hear you better... And will DayZ get new running sounds? This one got annoying already.

• Like 1

I will wait for the map update before start playing it.....so no need to hurry  :P

PS:  clothes and animations are awesome  :beans: 

thx for the update (see you in cologne)

1. Please fix the stupid jumping zombies! They didn't look good when you revealed them months ago and they still are broken now. 

2. Are thought the framerate was meant to be getting fixed? It looks like you're running at 15FPS.

3. Please turn off the post processing effects and all the blur and bloom... I just cannot stand to look at game with all the crap turned on, it never looks good and is always the first thing I turn off.

Zombies still need a lot of work, I agree they don't look good at the moment and having every zombie do that jumping attack currently only exacerbates that feeling, if they can implement that turning while running animation and tone down the jumping attacks so they are a lot less common I think that will improve it significantly. I'm a bit disappointed zombies haven't been worked on much yet though.

AI in the engine currently will often stop to change direction. This can make it look like zig-zagging.

We have a proposed solution to that, but it's complex, so it will take time. It involves having an animation of the zombie turning while running - but it creates pathfinding and collision issues that are not trivial.- I'm actually getting really good FPS

zombies have not been worked on by programmers. hence, why they were not showcased in this devblog.

zombies are not 50% done, they are 0% done.

I'm actually getting really good FPS compared to the mod though so I can't share that complaint and I think Rocket is the only person who likes motion blur lol.

Edited by SmashT
  • Like 6

One thing that concerns me is how often he was getting knocked down. At most players should only slightly stumble when jump-attacked by zombies, not just fall flat on the ground.

One thing that concerns me is how often he was getting knocked down. At most players should only slightly stumble when jump-attacked by zombies, not just fall flat on the ground.

I'm guessing there'll be a low chance of it occurring. It definitely won't be anywhere near the frequency we've seen in the dev blogs anyway. Great to hear that Dean doesn't consider the zeds anywhere near where he wants them, and glad that it seems like he's not going to settle. Looks promising.

• Like 1

Thx for the update, The reasoning behind still not releasing makes sense to me.

Yeah, if you get tackled by a fully grown man sprinting towards you, you'd simply tumble rather than go flying and land on your arse/face.

Yeah, if you get tackled by a fully grown man sprinting towards you, you'd simply tumble rather than go flying and land on your arse/face.

Cute sarcasm. 

Seeing as these aren't traditional zombies and just people with an infection, it'd make more sense if the infection weakened them rather than give them huge strength boosts. Also, compare the sizes of the survivors to any of the zombies, they're considerably bigger and more "bulky". 

pops up. Might be a hint of a stamina system that I really like to see in DayZ :thumbsup:

/Oh and I love how restrict the inventory system feels in the video already.

Edited by St. Jimmy
  • Like 1

Man im a little worried.

The running animations in 3rd person look so bad, so unrealistic.

The first person field of view is awfull, way too much.

The first person gun holding angle is awkward.

Im worried that with the effort they put into the new animations already,

That they wont be bothered to go back and re-do them and make them look

Natural.

Hell even the mods were better, and they aren great.

The crouch-run is embarrasing, almost as bad as the arma 3 animations.

A devblog that wasnt necessary i think.