rocket

DayZ Developer Blog 3rd August 2013

Man im a little worried.

The running animations in 3rd person look so bad, so unrealistic.

The first person field of view is awfull, way too much.

The first person gun holding angle is awkward.

Im worried that with the effort they put into the new animations already,

That they wont be bothered to go back and re-do them and make them look

Natural.

Hell even the mods were better, and they aren great.

The crouch-run is embarrasing, almost as bad as the arma 3 animations.

A devblog that wasnt necessary i think.

dat pre alpha...

dayzmod community OMG GIV ME DEV BLOG PLS - THE GAME IS UNFINISHED WHY U SHOW ME THIS

its a dev blog

development -

1. The process of developing or being developed.
  2. A specified state of growth or advancement.

ie not finished what the hell did you expect

Edited by beatSTV
  • Like 6

As Rocket said, nothing is final, it's still very early on in development.

As a tester (and a bias fanboy so take it or leave it) I have to say it's impressive how much progress gets made and how quickly issues/bugs are addressed.

Every week I see very noticable improvements to almost every aspect of the game so it's really important to be aware that what you see here is just a (very early) work in progress. Every time we see a new blog some people think that it's representative of final gameplay, it isn't, it's representative of what they have implemented at the time of the devblog and will only be improved on greatly over time.

If you go and watch some pre-alpha or even early alpha gameplay of some other games you will appreciate how much progress is being made.  Very often at this stage of development a game is barely functional and missing many critical features and content.

By any standards what we see here for this stage of development is impressive and with each patch the devs release I get more confident that it's shaping up into the game I was hoping it would be.

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 9

dat pre alpha...

dayzmod community OMG GIV ME DEV BLOG PLS - THE GAME IS UNFINISHED WHY U SHOW ME THIS

its a dev blog

development -

1. The process of developing or being developed.
  2. A specified state of growth or advancement.

ie not finished what the hell did you expect

I expect the important and big things like animations to be acceptable at this stage.

Especially when they made such a huge deal out of how much effort that put in on one of the other dev blogs.

tbh ur bonkers for thinking otherwise.

Edited by Rhym3z

I expect the important and big things like animations to be done at this stage,

tbh ur bonkers for thinking otherwise

You shouldn't expect anything to be complete in a pre-alpha development build.  If you do you will always be dissapointed with what you see.

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 1

tbh ur bonkers for thinking otherwise

tbh ur bonkers for thinking otherwise....

tbh ur bonkers...

ur bonkers...

bonkers

wut

You shouldn't expect anything to be complete in a pre-alpha development build.  If you do you will always be dissapointed with what you see.

One thing with many pre alpha's,  alpha's, beta's etc, is that animations and big work like that never get changed once they've been made.

I can't imagine them bothering to re-do stuff like that again and incurring more delays tbh

Edited by Rhym3z

One thing with many alpha's, beta's etc, is that animations and big work like that never get changed once they've been made.

I can't imagine them bothering to re-do stuff like that again and incurring more delays tbh

Wrong.   We will see in time I guess. 

Anyhoo, I was only pointing out some facts.  You are right to say that you're not happy with them though as it's feedback like this that'll keep pushing the devs forward to improve things.

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 1

fun fact: did you know i haven't seen the new devblog yet? but i guess ppl are disgusted by it

I thought it was pretty good.  A very arty opening piece with some macho men strolling around. And Fraggle being submissive - what more could you ask for?

• Like 1

This thread is either filled with extreme fanboyism or just hate. Nothing in between. 

fun fact: did you know i haven't seen the new devblog yet? but i guess ppl are disgusted by it

This thread is either filled with extreme fanboyism or just hate. Nothing in between.

Same as every update/devblog really:

-What the hell have you been doing? This looks terrible, the mod looks better.

-Ignore the haters Rocket, the game look great. Thanks for the update.

-Thats it, I've given up on this game, this was the last straw. I'm done.

-Keep up the good work.

-All my friends have stopped playing, you have missed the boat. You need to release the alpha now!

-It's a pre-alpha guys, relax.

-Fuck this shit *flips table* My hype is gone.

-OMG my hype is back, can't wait for this game.

-When is the next dev blog?

Edited by SmashT
  • Like 14

Same as every update/devblog really:

-What the hell have you been doing? This looks terrible, the mod looks better.

-Ignore the haters Rocket, the game look great. Thanks for the update.

-Thats it, I've given up on this game, this was the last straw. I'm done.

-Keep up the good work.

-All my friends have stopped playing, you have missed the boat. You need to release the alpha now!

-It's a pre-alpha guys, relax.

-Fuck this shit *flips table* My hype is gone.

-OMG my hype is back, can't wait for this game.

-When is the next dev blog?

Perhaps number these Smash and then everyone else who posts just has to give a number instead of typing it out?

• Like 5

Cute sarcasm. 

Seeing as these aren't traditional zombies and just people with an infection, it'd make more sense if the infection weakened them rather than give them huge strength boosts. Also, compare the sizes of the survivors to any of the zombies, they're considerably bigger and more "bulky". 

Agreed, how can rotting infected run as fast as a healthy person?

• Like 2

An amazing devblog so far! Thanks for for doing the holy blog spending your precious time in which you should of rested! But while I was looking for commentaries on utube about the devblog, I happened to cross with this;

Trolled*

My question on that would be when the game will pop up, are there gonna be such hacks instantly ? Will these kinds of hacks be available in the server build (knowing that leaked version is a single-player version) ?

Thanks

Regards

Edited by SoulHunter

Hi , please don't link to potential hacks.

Quite often these things are posted in order to dupe people into downloading malware such as keystealers or worse.

To answer your quesion though, yes, the hacking industry is a mulimillion dollar business so it's always a threat, as said in previous blogs (and this one) making the SA secure is the no. 1 priority although not 1 MP game in the world is 100% secure.

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 1

Hi , please don't link to potential hacks.

Quite often these things are posted in order to dupe people into downloading malware such as keystealers or worse.

To answer your quesion though, yes, the hacking industry is a mulimillion dollar business so it's always a threat, as said in previous blogs (and this one) making the SA secure is the no. 1 priority although not 1 MP game in the world is 100% secure.

I know that (imo) all the sorta stuff on utube are always malware to steal peeps' personal infos/such. But what I was wanting to point out was that with the MMO architecture (server rules) it must be near impossible to summon objects/anything into the game as well as teleporting and such.. I was wondering if that version getting hacked would do any good to hackers (which I'd assume would not by any way tbh, cus the server-side system).

I did not also think that people would go try to download something from there.. The reason of the vid was only to show that there is something like that clearly existing on the world (so, real) and that's all.

Thanks for warning/informing though. I'd hope you guys are aware of this news along with sir Dean Hall as well!

Regards

No probs, don't worry, the devs are very aware of the potential threats to the security of the SA.  It's probably the no.1 reason it hasn't been released yet.  The client/server architecture as well as many other elements are all things that will go a long way to making the SA secure.

• Like 1

You'll still have to deal with more "passive" hacks such as radars / esps, aimbots and whateverthefuck they come up with

You'll still have to deal with more "passive" hacks such as radars / esps, aimbots and whateverthefuck they come up with

Yeh, Rockets talked about that in the past, it's not something I know much about or can pretend to understand though, all I do know is that they're very aware of it.

The information/client bubble will help to some degree with that as anything outside the bubble doesn't get sent to the client at all.

• Like 1

Yeh, Rockets talked about that in the past, it's not something I know much about or can pretend to understand though, all I do know is that they're very aware of it.

I can explain the logic of passive cheats. They are basically using the info that's gathered from the server in the clients. What Mr. Hall mentioned in one of his reddit posts where he said that in ArmA2 when someone opens a door in the other side of the map, that info would go to all the clients of all the players, which can be used as hacks. When you can know what happens when, like all the player/item locations and sorta, you could use that info for bad intentions, in this case, passive hacks.

But the good news is that Dean said in his same post that it is the reason why they want to implement a "bubble" function to prevent such possible attentions of hacking. I am more than sure that if the "network bubble" would be implemented properly as intended/wanted, the passive hacks would be prevented a lot (ESP would go to the history) which is I must admit very hard to do.

I wish they would success with dat bubble.. It would be amazing to experience finally an MMORPG without dozens of hackers around =)

Edit:SmashT beat me to it.. >.<

Edited by SoulHunter

Some feedback :

- I'm pleasently surprised with the animations, looks way better than before! Still, I think the "shooting from hip" animation looks terribly awkward. I hope they'll see how bad it looks and get rid of this feature (I think it's useless and a standard civilian in a zombie apocalypse would never run and gun in the first place).

- Player movements still look a bit too fast compared to the animations. Running and some transitions still look a bit off.

- Another complain I've got is with the clothing art style, the color palette looks a bit all over the place... I mean green jeans? Who wears green jeans seriously? I'd rather see more beige/camo/brown clothing. A unified color palette across all clothing would help set the tone. Inspiration can be taken from The Road, the last of us, etc...

- the clothing models do look amazing. (have you noticed the new backpacks have straps now?? epic stuff)

- Zombies are not as terrible as I would have expected. I still think their walking animation is not as good as in the mod.. Looks a bit like a parody right now. However, they do look more fluid, and the attack animations are pretty amazing.

- Everything looks a bit "fast forward", like if every animation were playing a bit too fast compared to reality.

- The attention to details on the M4 is sick. Gun feeling looks better, but sometimes the handling doesn't look natural.

- The icons in the inventory are so much better, it's good to see they're paying attention to every detail.

- Once again, the lighting looks a bit weird, too saturated, even when they are clouds, there's definitely some improvements to be made on HDR settings I think.

• Like 5