rocket

DayZ Developer Blog 3rd August 2013

I've graduated from an art school that's maybe because those kind of things hurt my eyes so much. Graphics are secondary in terms of polygons and shaders and stuff, but for me they are important when it comes to colors and reinforcing an atmosphere. Looks like the SA lost a lot of atmosphere compared to dayz mod, which is kind of sad.

I make a living as an artist (just about) so I do understand you.  

The thing is the mod has about 5 skins and that's it so  it's very easy to use those skins to achieve an overall feel.  if you consider that the SA is a survival game and looting/scavenging is an important part of that then having lots of variation is key for me.

If they were to take the approach of having an overall pallette that the modelers had to use it would actually take away from the game IMO.  I don't think DayZ will ever be a heavily styled game, it's just a sandbox with representations of real world items that we can choose to either ignore or use.

hmmm what worries me:

"cause we think that weapons are your levels in dayz..." i hope there is room for changes later on...

Seeing you get knocked on your ass and then having to get up to shoot makes it clear that some sort of supine shooting needs to be incorporated. Get knocked down, have the option to shoot from the supine position to clear the threat, then hit the stand button to stand. Sometimes it is neither practical nor advantageous to stand up before engaging.

You can still fire from being knocked down. but control is difficult.

• Like 2

you had sleep?

did you enjoy the lemon cream tart yesterday night?

Edited by joe_mcentire

This is exactly what Valve did with the animations for their HL2 models. They used Softimage XSI and they 'blend' animations together. So no it does not sound stupid at all.

I can't find the video anymore, but i remember them showing off how easy it was with the Antlion.

That was acceptable when HL2 came out. But in the day and age of euphoria animations, people's expectation is different. Also, the visual style of ArmA/DayZ is different from HL2 and demands a certain look from it's animations.

You might have missed what I said - but we tried this... and it looked awful. And yes, it is much much easier to implement than what we are trying to. So I would very much rather do that.

I was sent to that group to scout out their plans. I was the only russian man there in hat with earflaps.  :P  

Edited by Snoww
  • Like 5

I dont see any improvements over E3 gameplay. Maybe except tons of blur, but that's not improvement.

Anyway see you in 2-3months for another dev blog where we will get informed Alpha was postponed till november/december.

E3 showed singleplayer

This showed multiplayer.

That was all I wanted to demonstrate with this devblog. However, I have failed because you did not notice that.

The public alpha will not come out until we have fully functional and secure multiplayer.

• Like 6

Let's evaluate what the dev team has managed over the passing of approx. a year:

Added zombie path finding - still not sufficiently functional.

Added zombie jump animations - still not sufficiently functional.

Added new weaponry - still not sufficiently functional.

Added dynamic spawn locations for objects.

Added customizable gear and weaponry - still not sufficiently functional.

Added a radio - still not sufficiently functional.

Added a character UI - still not sufficiently functional.

Changed loot system...

And possible more.

Is this what we can expect from approx. a year of development?

"Alpha... still not sufficiently functional"

You could have just used one line

Our focus is on multiplayer stability and performance. We have made progress with this. Once we have that to a sufficient level we will release the public alpha.

• Like 6

E3 showed singleplayer

This showed multiplayer.

That was all I wanted to demonstrate with this devblog. However, I have failed because you did not notice that.

The public alpha will not come out until we have fully functional and secure multiplayer.

Is the bayonet functional? You did not use it in the video when you ran out of ammo

any chance that we could do something like an Q&A at any point dean? maybe not a live one but ...you know?

I make a living as an artist (just about) so I do understand you.  

The thing is the mod has about 5 skins and that's it so  it's very easy to use those skins to achieve an overall feel.  if you consider that the SA is a survival game and looting/scavenging is an important part of that then having lots of variation is key for me.

If they were to take the approach of having an overall pallette that the modelers had to use it would actually take away from the game IMO.  I don't think DayZ will ever be a heavily styled game, it's just a sandbox with representations of real world items that we can choose to either ignore or use.

I agree on everything you said, but it looks like we're not seeing the same game. I'm all for varied and realistic items. I just don't think THIS is varied or realistic at all. It's more like, random and ugly.

Is the bayonet functional? You did not use it in the video when you ran out of ammo

We need to consolidate the controls for unarmed melee and armed melee - so that there is consistency.

There are two melee attacks with rifles. One is bayonet stab (if you have it), other is rifle butt. Our challenge now is getting everything together so it is consolidated and that your melee is controlled in a similar way regardless if you are armed or unarmed.

• Like 3

I agree on everything you said, but it looks like we're not seeing the same game. I'm all for varied and realistic items. I just don't think THIS is varied or realistic at all. It's more like, random and ugly.

I'm very happy with the visual style and look of the clothing and items. I think this is a question of taste, the art style and approach to palette we have is exactly what I wanted.

• Like 8

I was told multiple times that you guys are aware of the possible hacking issues (which I am pretty sure about) and people also kept saying that the bubble function you intended to implement is a sphere with a radius that limits the players' clients' capacity of getting info from the server. (not rly as I imagined to be like)

Therefore ESP and such hacks will still be common (knowing that suchpassive hacks are pretty easy to make)? It is now my personal priority to know what kinda gameplay I'll face when the game will pop up.

I anyway know that you guys do your best to prevent such issues for good as well as do research about them a lot.

I wish you the best of luck so far!

Regardies

"Alpha... still not sufficiently functional"

You could have just used one line

Our focus is on multiplayer stability and performance. We have made progress with this. Once we have that to a sufficient level we will release the public alpha.

Wauw! Rocket replied to my post! It was actually a genuine question - I was wondering whether that WAS what you could expect or not. I guess you did answer that though :P

I was told multiple times that you guys are aware of the possible hacking issues (which I am pretty sure about) and people also kept saying that the bubble function you intended to implement is a sphere with a radius that limits the players' clients' capacity of getting info from the server. (not rly as I imagined to be like)

Therefore ESP and such hacks will still be common (knowing that suchpassive hacks are pretty easy to make)? It is now my personal priority to know what kinda gameplay I'll face when the game will pop up.

I anyway know that you guys do your best to prevent such issues for good as well as do research about them a lot.

I wish you the best of luck so far!

Regardies

No, they are not easy to make. Children on "HAXOR" forums want you to think it's easy, but in fact they've never actually written any of the cheats they use.

Some games have their memory secured by encryption - this makes the game use a lot more computing power, but it also makes offset (health value, etc.) finding a lot harder than normally, and especially something children will not be capable of doing alone.

No, they are not easy to make. Children on "HAXOR" forums want you to think it's easy, but in fact they've never actually written any of the cheats they use.

Some games have their memory secured by encryption - this makes the game use a lot more computing power, but it also makes offset (health value, etc.) finding a lot harder than normally, and especially something children will not be capable of doing alone.

I hope you are right mate. I rly do.. I dont wanna have such an experience like HackFestation Stories again...

Edited by SoulHunter

I hope you are right mate. I rly do.. I dont wanna have such an experience like HackFestation Stories again...

Then wait and less us take our time before taking your money.

• Like 1

any chance that we could do something like an Q&A at any point dean? maybe not a live one but ...you know?

a dead one? I've considered it...

• Like 2

Blog was ok ish

But they said the priority was to fix hacking and its still not addressed. Allmost a year later......

Hello there

I think that was well worth waiting for.

There's a heck of a lot of stuff to analyse and one cannot say it's lacking in content.

At risk of sounding like a fanboi, good stuff indeed.

Rgds

LoK

Then wait and less us take our time before taking your money.

My money is ready for months already, you can take it whenever you want =)) To be on topic, I just did not think of the bubble not being able to prevent such hacking activities.. All the people I talked to said that it would not solve anything. But none of them is you anyway, I know that you know what to do, and trust you on this case as well!

Take as much time as you need for this case

Edited by SoulHunter