boneboys

Stable Branch - 0.59 Discussion

And...

I vote that 0.60 does NOT get released to Experimental until the Bug Tracker comes back.

Without actually saying it, I would think (Hope, Interpret, Imagine, Guess) that Hicks is considering this as well. It's the common sense thing to do but this is an example of what I meant by there being too much opportunity for second guessing and conjecture without better communication.

Is it just me or the bus got tweaked a bit since 0.59 release? Feels like it has more torque now. Maybe it's just me..

• Like 2

On 3/3/2016 at 0:36 AM, S3V3N said:

Quick question: has anyone been able to dye leather with oak bark in 0.59? I always get the message: "that's not enough bark for even one piece of leather" or something like this; I've put in ten or more bark, just to make sure the amount isn't the problem. So far only nails worked for me. It also seems that the types of bark are generalized with the only exception being beech trees, whose bark appears lighter in the thumbnail; everything else is just called "tree bark" and looks the same.  

I had the same problem... sorry this came late but check to see if there is a bunch of water in your barrel. I'm not sure how to empty water from the barrel other than poking holes in it- but if you do that I'm not sure you can dye it anymore. Anyway- I think it was water giving me the same issue... finding an empty barrel allowed me to dye (I was using birch bark). 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, eno said:

I had the same problem... sorry this came late but check to see if there is a bunch of water in your barrel. I'm not sure how to empty water from the barrel other than poking holes in it- but if you do that I'm not sure you can dye it anymore. Anyway- I think it was water giving me the same issue... finding an empty barrel allowed me to dye (I was using birch bark). 

Interesting. So you need a barrel that doesn't have water in it to dye with bark - odd! Odd because you can dye in the barrel with water when using nails. After I couldn't get bark to work it worked with nails. I just wanted to try bark again, but it's been broken for a while now - it used to work fine in any barrel for me. 

4 hours ago, DaveB said:

Is it just me or the bus got tweaked a bit since 0.59 release? Feels like it has more torque now. Maybe it's just me..

Sorry for the double post, but perhaps the wheels were damaged the first time? Even if just one wheel is worn the bus has significantly worse torque. If you notice it dragging on hills, perhaps check the wheels. I found that I can often repair them even when it says "pristine". Don't know if that is a bug or if there is some threshold for wheel damage. Anyway, it lets me repair them and usually the cars drive straight again and the bus accelerates better. I actually really like the bus, I just wish we had a kind of intermediate size, so maybe something like a city bus, which lets you take ten people but has a bit more mobility. Would be nice for the northern villages, the bus is kind of a pain driving in the north. Still fun, but lots of places to get stuck. 

• Like 1

Maybe thats the case, i might have used tires that showed pristine but were another condition due to à glitch. I know for sure that this time i repaired them all no matter what condition they were. Thanks for pointing that out.

• Like 1

After playing on stable for the last couple weeks, I have found it very..well..stable. I had bad luck getting started, not finding much, till I limped on into tent city and then onto NW Airfield. Seems like setting up the AKM with pristine attachments and a 75 rd mag is a easy starter weapon once you get to a base. The SVD is a real beauty and what a great sound. Sitting up on a hill and picking off zombies is fun with that one. I went on a helicopter hunt and lucked out finding a SVD. I actually couldn't see it anywhere and was doing a very intense search along the helicopter and when I went past the same part the second time, the SVD flashed on the search screen..Yeah! Dropped the mosin and picked it up. Lots of food and canteens, lots of clothes and support gear. I still hear Zombies that are 80 feet away as if they are drooling on my boots close. I have heard some thunder but haven't seen a drop of rain. I have not seen a Netting to make camo gear. My can opener broke pretty fast. My AKM silencer went from damaged to pristine after a couple days, maybe carrying the gun cleaning kit is doing some magic. Found a tent, but I couldn't pick it up sine I refuse to drop either rifle. Guess it's time to go up into the mountains and plant some pumpkins. It's fun to record zombie sounds and then sneak up on players and play zombie sounds over the mic, they get so confused when they can't find the zombie :-D

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Excanto said:

After playing on stable for the last couple weeks, I have found it very..well..stable...

Those are accurate observations, much in line with my own. I play with a group though and making camps and having a vehicle is part of our group-gameplay. The camp has been safe for over a month now and I've had more camps for a longer time on 0.59 than ever before. I'm mainly just playing around with things. It's fun! For example, hide a radio in a police station, find a safe place, have eyes on it and contact survivors with a second radio. They'll think you are inside the police station and you can take them hostage inside and lock them in, while they search. I'll try to just convince people to keep the second radio and be in touch. I also try to offer single players to join us, (for the night) since we only have one free seat in the car. There are a few things like that you can do, but it's rudimentary at the moment. It's not that I'm entirely bored  of 0.59, but with 0.60 so close to release, I am getting really impatient. So - yeah: 0.59 is good and stable, but it's not what I'm excited about now.

Camps are cool! Can't wait for bases. Here's a pic of our current camp (small, but neat):

Spoiler

2016-03-08_00004_zpszepbgnh9.jpg

Edited by S3V3N
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, S3V3N said:

Those are accurate observations, much in line with my own. I play with a group though and making camps and having a vehicle is part of our group-gameplay. The camp has been safe for over a month now and I've had more camps for a longer time on 0.59 than ever before. I'm mainly just playing around with things. It's fun! For example, hide a radio in a police station, find a safe place, have eyes on it and contact survivors with a second radio. They'll think you are inside the police station and you can take them hostage inside and lock them in, while they search. I'll try to just convince people to keep the second radio and be in touch. I also try to offer single players to join us, (for the night) since we only have one free seat in the car. There are a few things like that you can do, but it's rudimentary at the moment. It's not that I'm entirely bored  of 0.59, but with 0.60 so close to release, I am getting really impatient. So - yeah: 0.59 is good and stable, but it's not what I'm excited about now.

Camps are cool! Can't wait for bases. Here's a pic of our current camp (small, but neat):

Hidden Content

Near the future tisy military complex if iam right? Got a small Campsite there, but I stopped playing .59 for now, nothing left to explore...

That's a serious camp! I only have 2 tents tight close together behind some trees at a point where you basically have to be standing next to the tents and look down to see them. So far it has been undisturbed, but in previous versions it has been found, some lucky lost soul with a vacuum cleaner that took everything except my lamp. I'm interested to see what hits experimental. I've been playing lots of other things but Dayz seems to be the fall back when I am bored with everything else. So the UMP45 fits into my high capacity vest, allowing me to have two machine guns and still be able to climb ladders and eat and drink etc without having to drop anything on the ground and watch the server reset and risk losing it. How important is it to know exactly what server you are on? Very! So the glock looks great at night with the night sights. Has anyone seen any net? Maybe I should try fishing and see if I catch a net :-D

On 3/7/2016 at 5:19 PM, S3V3N said:

Sorry for the double post, but perhaps the wheels were damaged the first time? Even if just one wheel is worn the bus has significantly worse torque. If you notice it dragging on hills, perhaps check the wheels. I found that I can often repair them even when it says "pristine". Don't know if that is a bug or if there is some threshold for wheel damage. Anyway, it lets me repair them and usually the cars drive straight again and the bus accelerates better. I actually really like the bus, I just wish we had a kind of intermediate size, so maybe something like a city bus, which lets you take ten people but has a bit more mobility. Would be nice for the northern villages, the bus is kind of a pain driving in the north. Still fun, but lots of places to get stuck. 

I had a ton of problems driving the bus up north at first, but I found out that it handles hills and tricky places a lot better if you leave it in high gear. I always use 3rd/4th gear even on the steepest hills and it takes them like a champ. From coast to NWAF takes like 7-10 mins with the bus now.

People in DayZ never cease to amaze me. I was running to the coast to pick up a friend. In Dolina a dude steps out of the red brick building next to the police station and opens fire. He did hit me but I did manage to drop him (I made sure he was dead). He did not have any special gear so I continued. When I finally found my friend we were running back inland through Dolina and this guy is in his building again and one shots my friend. I killed him again and now I find his stash in the building: This guy was loot cycling the police station O_o He had stacked a huge heap of chem lights and police pants. After being killed the first time he even came back for his yield of 3 rak mags and 4 glock mags.

Loot cycling itself is pretty sad but loot cycling a police station - this is just boring and useless.

On 11.3.2016 at 7:41 PM, Excanto said:

That's a serious camp!

We're three people and have/had a car. I like to keep items separated, so there is one medic tent, one for clothes and fire-making, one for food and tools and another few for weapons. With a group of three it already starts turning into chaos, if you don't keep items separated. I don't wanna run around and scroll every tent inventory to find a certain item. That camp however, has been stolen and dissolved. When I arrived there, the barrels were poked and the yellow containers were the only thing still lying around. I'm still not sure what to think about the destruction of camps. It seems so futile for both parties to throw everything on the ground and pack all the tents.

I don't really see the point in doing this, because of course I would have to move the camp anyway, after someone stole from it. So all they are doing is forcing me to find new tents, instead of taking my old/own. Not really sure, why these people do it and if they think they are grieving. I never give a flying shit about the stuff we lose, but I do get sad when a location was discovered, bc we've been there on various servers and had good camps all around. It was very close to the coast, but on a route no sane person would walk to get anywhere. I'm not gonna rebuild the camp when 0.60 is months overdue and release right around the corner. I'll probably rebuild in another location when we get an update. And I'm gonna spam my way into Experience, sorry to say, but it still got me hyped :) 

• Like 1

Oh my ferrrrrkkiiingggg gaweewdddd where is .60 !?!! I'm dying , I literally haven't actually played dayz in weeks ... .59 just doesn't do it for me when I know such monumental shit is right around the corner . I've had a base go untouched at the edge of the map with three vehicles and tons of guns , I wonder if it will make it to the .60 stable push (most likely more than a month away at this rate !). I wish eugen harton would drop into a thread like he used to and tell us what's up :( .

• Like 3

On 10.12.2015 at 6:03 PM, boneboys said:

Wait for it...

ONCE AGAIN - BE AWARE THAT 0.59 STABLE UPDATE BRINGS A COMPLETE AND TOTAL WIPE OF CHARACTERS, ITEMS, AND SERVER DATA

9 minutes ago, blackberrygoo said:

Oh my ferrrrrkkiiingggg gaweewdddd where is .60 !?!! I'm dying , I literally haven't actually played dayz in weeks ... .59 just doesn't do it for me when I know such monumental shit is right around the corner . I've had a base go untouched at the edge of the map with three vehicles and tons of guns , I wonder if it will make it to the .60 stable push (most likely more than a month away at this rate !). I wish eugen harton would drop into a thread like he used to and tell us what's up :( .

That's actually the very first forum post in the thread (I didn't see it either until someone quoted it recently). A new patch will bring a wipe, so perhaps going out and spending some/all of your camp's resources is the thing to do with 0.59. I agree on the rest though. We've been playing this patch for very long now and most people were expecting a major update since last Christmas, so anticipation is on a brink. Even though things will only change gradually after the patch, it still seems like a breakthrough.

I wouldn't say I'm bored of 0.59, but rather of the state of the game. There are just so many things coming that are major gamechangers that it seems futile to play the current version, knowing that things will get so much better with improved ai and human kinetics. Unfortunately I can't help but being curious and impatient about these features. 

Edited by S3V3N
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, S3V3N said:

I wouldn't say I'm bored of 0.59, but rather of the state of the game. There are just so many things coming that are major gamechangers that it seems futile to play the current version, knowing that things will get so much better with improved ai and human kinetics. Unfortunately I can't help but being curious and impatient about these features. 

I haven't played .59 much since it first came out.  But for the last 2 weeks, I've been trying to get back in the groove.  On the r/DayZUnderground server, I managed to liberate 3 different (I think) offroaders from 3 different camps.  After each liberation, I loaded the car with some choice items from camps, then I just drove around giving them away.  This morning, I still had one left.  I couldn't find anyone so I drove to Myshinko tents.  Jumped out, mic open, asked if anyone wanted a free car.  What I presume was a hacker, glided up to me in a crouched position very quickly, screamed at me to get my hands in the air, then shot me without raising his gun.  Good times.

And while .59 works pretty well, it has a few very annoying bugs that I hope will be gone in .60.  Just ready for a change I guess.  .59 seems too one-dimensional.  Everyone running around has and AKM and a glock.  I've been sporting an SKS for the first time in months, just to shake it up.

Had some fun just now, though. Found a high pop private server (CREW something).  Started a new toon.  Spawned near Svet.  Found a 30rd sporter mag and the gun.  Then found a box of ammo.  Spent the next 45 minutes running around Svet, sneaking up on people and shooting them in the butt/legs - wasn't trying to kill, just surprise and annoy.  Hit at least 6 people.  One even yelled over his mic - "Hey, somebody just shot me in the ass!!"  :D

Edited by Thurman Merman

1 hour ago, Thurman Merman said:

What I presume was a hacker, glided up to me in a crouched position very quickly, screamed at me to get my hands in the air, then shot me without raising his gun.  Good times.

Probably not hacker, just animation bug from double-carrying.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, -Gews- said:

Probably not hacker, just animation bug from double-carrying.

He was moving at full speed while crouched (and only had a .357 in his hand).  That's what made me suspicious.  I'd never sent hat before.  But the server was acting janky, so it may have just been a visual bug, I suppose.

Edited by Thurman Merman

14 hours ago, Thurman Merman said:

He was moving at full speed while crouched (and only had a .357 in his hand).  That's what made me suspicious.  I'd never sent hat before.  But the server was acting janky, so it may have just been a visual bug, I suppose.

It happens twice every hour when I play with friends. Switching weapons and vaulting usually restores the animation to normal. It does look pretty weird though when people surf around like that. I also find it makes them harder to hit. 

50 player servers are still laggy, so the more players, the more glitches you see. I hit a guy with a hammer and kocked him out from like 5 feet away. I was just hitting the air and suddenly he dropped. That's the state of melee in the game and shooting is only slightly better (hence the need for improved collisions, which are also a planned feature). My bullets travel so slowly, I'm almost having a Matrix moment in distanced firefights. Overall the performance is decent, but I highly doubt we will ever see stable 100 player servers. They should also restart more often or do something about vehicle parts not showing up in car inventory and on the model, unless you restart. 0.59 is still very buggy, but these bugs aren't game-breaking, merely discouraging. Waiting for the fixes with our next update. I expect a lot of change with vehicles, since frankly they drive/turn like trains, even though they have decent suspension. Lot of change...but when? 

Edited by S3V3N
  • Like 1

So, i'm sure this isn't news to most, but the bow sucks!!  Even allowing for sway, consistent target distance and shot timing, it is very difficult to figure out where your shot will land.  I made one this morning.  Practiced a little bit, then went zombie hunting.  I bet I landed less than 1 in 5 of my shots.  And, in true DayZ fashion, while I'm running around Cherno looking for infected, WITH A BOW IN MY HANDS AND NO GUN ON MY BACK, some mook starts taking pot shots at me. I guess he wanted my improvised backpack or my green hiking shirt.  If I had any skill with the bow, I'd have gone after him.  Thought about charging him with my brass knuckles, but wanted to play with the bow some more.

Edited by Thurman Merman

On 3/14/2016 at 7:35 AM, S3V3N said:

We're three people and have/had a car. I like to keep items separated, so there is one medic tent, one for clothes and fire-making, one for food and tools and another few for weapons. With a group of three it already starts turning into chaos, if you don't keep items separated. I don't wanna run around and scroll every tent inventory to find a certain item. That camp however, has been stolen and dissolved. When I arrived there, the barrels were poked and the yellow containers were the only thing still lying around. I'm still not sure what to think about the destruction of camps. It seems so futile for both parties to throw everything on the ground and pack all the tents.

I don't really see the point in doing this, because of course I would have to move the camp anyway, after someone stole from it. So all they are doing is forcing me to find new tents, instead of taking my old/own. Not really sure, why these people do it and if they think they are grieving. I never give a flying shit about the stuff we lose, but I do get sad when a location was discovered, bc we've been there on various servers and had good camps all around. It was very close to the coast, but on a route no sane person would walk to get anywhere. I'm not gonna rebuild the camp when 0.60 is months overdue and release right around the corner. I'll probably rebuild in another location when we get an update. And I'm gonna spam my way into Experience, sorry to say, but it still got me hyped :) 

Last time I had a camp completely vanish NW of the NW Airfield, I stood where my camp was and started switching servers, since I am on public "Gasp!" and on the 10th or 11th server...well well, there was my camp plus a lotttttttttttttt more. I didn't really need any of my stuff and the extra tents full of everything in the game basically. I started playing on that server :-) That camp was silly full. I was laughing just looking through those tents at all the booty. I'm pretty sure the owner of that camp was a pirate at heart.  As a rule now, I keep everything on me and only tent extra food/drinks/ammo etc. I was doing helicopters over the weekend and found a second ump45, I was going to toss that into someones tent if I found one. LoL I found my first VSS Vintorez and already had 5 magazines and a pile of ammo for it and a pristine pso-1 scope from my SVD. I really like the VSS. I creeped up to a zombie and fired one shot passed it's legs from 50 feet, 30 feet...10 feet! at night and he just wandered off. Now a couple rapid shots and they respond. I like trying all the rifles and pistols. We should really have a camp with all the weapons and mags and clips and ammo and everyone can borrow any of them and try them out and return them and add a tent and add more!!! 

8 hours ago, Thurman Merman said:

So, i'm sure this isn't news to most, but the bow sucks!!  Even allowing for sway, consistent target distance and shot timing, it is very difficult to figure out where your shot will land.  I made one this morning.  Practiced a little bit, then went zombie hunting.  I bet I landed less than 1 in 5 of my shots.  And, in true DayZ fashion, while I'm running around Cherno looking for infected, WITH A BOW IN MY HANDS AND NO GUN ON MY BACK, some mook starts taking pot shots at me. I guess he wanted my improvised backpack or my green hiking shirt.  If I had any skill with the bow, I'd have gone after him.  Thought about charging him with my brass knuckles, but wanted to play with the bow some more.

The bow is very accurate if you follow certain techniques and meet certain conditions. Unfortunately, these are impractical in most PVP situations, so most bow kills will consist of running around in circles firing wildly until making a hit at point blank range.

But for target shooting, zombies, etc: you have to be fully rested, then aim with your bow lowered and without zooming in. No zoom for a couple reasons, one, the impact is closer to the crosshair and requires less apparent elevation, so easier to aim, two, consistent zoom gives more familiarity with the arrow's trajectory, three, zooming in tends to encourage taking shots past the bow's effective range. 

Red crosshair is where arrow hits at close range, it will be different depending on your settings, I play on fov=1.2867. Hold over as necessary, impact seems to become more centered with range. Once aimed, raise bow and fire as normal. The group of arrows in the picture were fired from 300 meters while testing.

ngsnrLR.jpg

Edited by -Gews-
  • Like 2

I was actually hoping today would be the day, but Septic Falcon released a video yesterday and the 0.60 release is still "soon" (same as in 2015 ). According to him they are just ironing out the few last bugs, y'know... sure! I still believe that...

Okay, moving away from naive people and more into the realistic realms. I pretty much demand a release date for the renderer. I'm tired of hoping on a weekly basis and from patch to patch. With a year of delay, I think it would be safe to name a date. If they are only ironing out the bugs, they will be able to see an end to that. I'm not happy that for every relatable piece of information about Dayz, I have to search a void of promises and read inbetween the lines. Get used to making true updates and announcement posts, devs! You know the state of your game. You told us Beta in Q2 - and now we can be lucky, if we even see the renderer in Q2. It's simply not fair to the community to keep giving us wrong and unreliable updates and propaganda. I want to honestly know when this thing is going to be released and stop the guessing alltogether. And then you'll move all hell to make that release happen! Hotfix it later as you like, but just for once, I want to see a patch when it is announced. From my knowlegde since I bought the game, this hasn't happened even once. 

17 hours ago, -Gews- said:

The bow is very accurate if you follow certain techniques and meet certain conditions. Unfortunately, these are impractical in most PVP situations, so most bow kills will consist of running around in circles firing wildly until making a hit at point blank range.

But for target shooting, zombies, etc: you have to be fully rested, then aim with your bow lowered and without zooming in. No zoom for a couple reasons, one, the impact is closer to the crosshair and requires less apparent elevation, so easier to aim, two, consistent zoom gives more familiarity with the arrow's trajectory, three, zooming in tends to encourage taking shots past the bow's effective range. 

Red crosshair is where arrow hits at close range, it will be different depending on your settings, I play on fov=1.2867. Hold over as necessary, impact seems to become more centered with range. Once aimed, raise bow and fire as normal. The group of arrows in the picture were fired from 300 meters while testing.

ngsnrLR.jpg

The main difference I'd like to see is being able to hold 1 stack of sticks or arrows in the "bow" (Realistically the hand holding the bow) that we can reload from. I'm not sure if this was originally the case but currently I need to drag each arrow from my inventory individually. Add to the frustration the fact you can't move at all with the bow drawn so you can't ready a shot for an expected encounter - leaving you a sitting duck. It's vastly inferior and I'd like to see those improvements. Also, it's supposed to be stealthy so why the loud whistle every time you fire an arrow? The twang is fine but arrows don't necessarily whistle and when/if they do it's certainly not like someone putting two fingers in their mouth and going hard at it.