boneboys

Stable Branch - 0.58 Discussion

KOS is a mindset. Take out all of the firearms and there will still be a group of folks running around with sticks, trying to club people over the head. They are't happy, unless they are spreading misery and they will persist whether you give them alternatives, or not.

True, but given the lack of other stuff, what shall you do? So in addition to those seeking it anyway (which is okay in my book), there are countless people who are simply bored and geared ...

Top floor of the two story barn. No scope or ammo with it. Could have been a player dropped it there of course. But I'm not so sure as most folks don't mess with searching barns anymore even if they do spawn ok stuff now.

Edit: Oh and as too location, it was in one of those towns NNE of the NWAF. Sorry don't remember which one.

Alright thanks! :)

Regarding your solution, I know your heart is in the right place, but I don't like it.  I don't like creating an environment where certain individuals and factions that may have more time to dedicate become basically omnipotent.  This is especially damaging to private hives.  There is simply no great equalizer in DayZ to counter the best weapons when it comes to engaging other players.  Yes, I know given the perfect conditions you can kill an M4 guy with a Trumpet, but this is one of those 1%-er scenarios.  It's simply not worth the risk to go to the far reaches of the map with a Trumpet knowing full-well you're probably getting sent back to the coast.

You think about the worst-case scenario. Imo it's no real problem, to take out guys with full automatic guns, if you know to use your rifle (Sporter, Winchester, CR 257, Mosin...). A good ambush would work most of the time.

You think about the worst-case scenario. Imo it's no real problem, to take out guys with full automatic guns, if you know to use your rifle (Sporter, Winchester, CR 257, Mosin...). A good ambush would work most of the time.

3 of the 4 rifles you listed would probably fall under the list of those that many would like to see be ultra rare (and the Winchester currently is).

I have absolutely no problems with automatics being relatively rare, but in my opinion civilian rifles like the Blaze, Winchester, and Mosin should be readily lootable, with the hunter scope being moderately rare.  Those are the guns you can engage militarized players with and have a fighting chance.

Edited by owly

Those are the guns you can engage militarized players with and have a fighting chance.

Fighting chance?  I'll take a Blaze with a scope over a maxed out AKM any day.  I've murdered far more people at a distance than in mid-range full-auto shootouts.  Similarly, if I know I'm gonna be shot at, I'd almost always rather the shooter have a full auto assault rifle - that typically means he has to close in on me - and if he can do that without getting shot, he deserves my loot.

But, to your point, I generally agree.  The world should be full of pistols and hunting rifles.  Far fewer of the military style guns.  However, I also wish they'd make shooting from a distance (over 300m) substantially harder - right now, get your distance right, and you very often make the shot.

• Like 1

One of my stashes has a full barrel containing a full medkit, SMG with attachments, and boots with a knife attached and a few tents, but no lag.  Another has a similar setup (barrel with ammo cans with junk inside).  I can't tell that items within items is making a difference.  

Although, fing told me that when he was having a lot of lag at our camp; when he took containers out of containers, it cleared it up - even with the same amount of loot.  So it does appear to be a culprit form his testing.

• Like 1

Although, fing told me that when he was having a lot of lag at our camp; when he took containers out of containers, it cleared it up - even with the same amount of loot.  So it does appear to be a culprit form his testing.

That's what everything I've tried is saying too, here something I noticed last night though.

I have no containers in containers at my camp anymore, had a truck in close proximity no problem.

logged in with both accounts simultaneously to give the gas can from my second character to my first and the lost sessions and lag came back. The second character has a full first aid kit on his person.

Can you guys or anyone else confirm containers in containers on a character cause this as well?

• Like 1

That's what everything I've tried is saying too, here something I noticed last night though.

I have no containers in containers at my camp anymore, had a truck in close proximity no problem.

logged in with both accounts simultaneously to give the gas can from my second character to my first and the lost sessions and lag came back. The second character has a full first aid kit on his person.

Can you guys or anyone else confirm containers in containers on a character cause this as well?

I'll try testing this right now. I have an ammo can I can place inside my backpack. I'll run away from my camp, and run back to see what it does. 

• Like 1

Hopefully we get all that! However, iv noticed that the devs are vague when it comes twitter and the like. Someone asked Eugene when the hotfix will be out and his reply was "its the weekend!everyone will be back Monday!".

They should be fucking politicians lol

Why? Because politicians work on the weekend?

They're employees, remember.

• Like 1

Alright, from my small test, I ran to my little camp where I have a barrel a backpack and an ammo can on the ground that has nothing in it. No lag whatsoever coming up to the camp. Can fully interact with all the items I have and opening and closing the barrel worked flawlessly. 

Upon picking up the ammo can and placing it into my improvised backback, I then loaded up the ammo can with mosin ammo. Immediately upon doing so, LAG at my camp. Items are not moving around freely anymore nor is it recording items being taken from my barrel to my improvised backpack. 

I ran away from the camp, the lag goes away. I ran back with the ammo can in my backpack (remember its full of mosin ammo) and the lag returned. 

I then ran away one more time, removed all items from the ammo can, ran back with the ammo can still in my improvised backpack and no lag. 

Finally I ran away one more time to ditch the ammo can once and for all. Returned back to the camp, and you guessed it...... NO LAG. 

Hope this helps!!! 

• Like 6

I've come to the conclusion that politicians only work weekends based on the amount of output, or lack thereof...

Why? Because politicians work on the weekend?

They're employees, remember.

So containers with items in them, inside of other containers seems to be the culprit. I wonder if full mags in containers is also causing lag. Because I have removed all full containers in containers, except loaded mags in barrels and backpacks and I still have lag and sessions lost. Gonna try moving loaded mags out of camp next and see if that helps. Or maybe just drop them on the ground in camp first and see if it makes a difference.

Still not convinced it's that simple.  I have (had anyways) multiple barrels with several backpacks in the same 20 meter radius and did not experience the issue even with multiple mags, ammo boxes, loose ammo and even yellow plastic cases filled inside barrels.  Something sets it off, but I'm not exactly sure what the root cause is.  Curious to see what the devs. have come up with. I think we need an 8D or 14D...

So containers with items in them, inside of other containers seems to be the culprit. I wonder if full mags in containers is also causing lag. Because I have removed all full containers in containers, except loaded mags in barrels and backpacks and I still have lag and sessions lost. Gonna try moving loaded mags out of camp next and see if that helps. Or maybe just drop them on the ground in camp first and see if it makes a difference.

Edited by Super_Duty
  • Like 4

I too just had an odd instance of lag coming up to one of my sites. One thing I did have on me in my improvised backpack was two canteens full of water. Never noticed an issue before with water in canteens, but I will also this some more. Overall though, I am able to function at all my sites and I can live with this until the hotfix comes out. 

Let's just hope they figured all of it out b/c there still seems to be some random lag at camps. 

Edited by The Riddler
  • Like 1

I too just had an odd instance of lag coming up to one of my sites. One thing I did have on me in my improvised backpack was two canteens full of water. Never noticed an issue before with water in canteens, but I will also this some more. Overall though, I am able to function at all my sites and I can live with this until the hotfix comes out. 

Let's just hope they figured all of it out b/c there still seems to be some random lag at camps. 

Do you have canned food and sodas in backpacks or barrels? I wonder how far down the rabbit hole we have to go. Ammo boxes, packets of seeds, canned food, canteens/water bottles, sodas, all are basically containers right? I moved all my loaded mags out of barrels and backpacks and am now unpacking ammo boxes. 

I have/had most all of them inside one barrel or another at one point or another in .58.  Frying pans, gas cans, etc. just not the cooking pot of course.

Do you have canned food and sodas in backpacks or barrels? I wonder how far down the rabbit hole we have to go. Ammo boxes, packets of seeds, canned food, canteens/water bottles, sodas, all are basically containers right? I moved all my loaded mags out of barrels and backpacks and am now unpacking ammo boxes. 

Not at this time; I actually need to do a food run tonight which was my plan after testing stuff. In theory, yes all these items are containers, but who knows. As I said earlier, I just hope they fixed all the issues causing lag at our camps :)

Alright, found out something interesting as to what was causing the lag just now. Here is the scenario:

Drove my truck near one of my sites, no lag getting out of truck or turning it off. However I am unable to get the two guns I put in the truck's inventory, nor can I pull the battery or glow plug. I tried running away and coming back but no luck. I had no issues with moving things around in my inventory either. 

As I was trying to get the items out of the truck, I happened to find a UMP in the grass 5 feet from the truck. Loaded UMP which means somebody dropped this here and it wasn't me. I was able to pick up the ump and the extra mag I found. I ran to my camp, dropped the ump and extra mag; ran back but still couldn't access the two guns or car parts on the truck. 

I was able to get back into the truck with no lag so I drove it away from that area where I found the UMP on the ground; stopped the engine, got out and whala, I could grab both guns, and the car parts with no lag. 

Sorry if this throws a monkey wrench into your testing, but this was a new one to me. 

• Like 2

Are weapons with attachments considered containers by definition...?

uiJNL8i.jpg

All weapons are "considered" vehicles by the engine (if I am not mistaken).

This made it easier for modifications and attachments.

• Like 2

True, but given the lack of other stuff, what shall you do? So in addition to those seeking it anyway (which is okay in my book), there are countless people who are simply bored and geared ...

I get the boredom, but the solution isn't to put a bush on and snipe new spawns at the beach.

At any given time there are tens of thousands of people on the servers also, this and other forums are read all over the world. It wouldn't take too much effort to organize a half dozen people to scrimmage with. And it would be one hell of a lot more satisfying than shooting new spawns from 600m away, who couldn't possibly pose a threat.

• Like 2

The devs have marked the bug, "Session Lost at Camps" as resolved, on the change log.

We'll probably see the fix implemented, when they do the weekly maintenance tomorrow.

• Like 5

The devs have marked the bug, "Session Lost at Camps" as resolved, on the change log.

We'll probably see the fix implemented, when they do the weekly maintenance tomorrow.

The fix will be at Exp, so low chance for it to hit stable tomorrow.

Edited by VahidkinG
  • Like 2

Does anyone know where to find a Smersh vest besides the heli crashes?