boneboys

Stable Branch - 0.58 Discussion

Best case scenario: We get status report, hotfix and .59 experimental tomorrow.

Worst case scenario: Another day of silence.

Either extreme and any variation in between is possible.

We might be looking at just a status report Wednesday if the storage lag hotfix isn't already done and tested....

I'm dreaming of an experimental build to play over the weekend but maybe that's too hopeful.

and i hope the hotfix did not need an persistence wipe...

don´t want the forums filled with crying babies

and i hope the hotfix did not need an persistence wipe...

don´t want the forums filled with crying babies

Eugen confirmed it wont :)

• Like 1

Eugen confirmed it wont :)

a lot has been confirmed...

no offense, love the defs. but learned to keep my hopes low.

greets

okey, this is great.

hope we get a exp update tonight or tomorrow. i don't think we get .59 thought.

--

off topic: how you do that with twitter posts? i tried to use twitter BBcode and no luck.

okey, this is great.

hope we get a exp update tonight or tomorrow. i don't think we get .59 thought.

--

off topic: how you do that with twitter posts? i tried to use twitter BBcode and no luck.

i can´t read these posts, don´t know why, only when i try to reply it "shows" up

;)

pbqbnDa.png

• Like 4

i can´t read these posts, don´t know why, only when i try to reply it "shows" up

I had the same problem, most likely it is your free antivirus or adblock causing this. For this forum - the only one I know to act like that - you have to turn those off or make an exception in the program/browser. I'm still not able to log on properly and always end up at a "permission denied" site, so there is definitely some cleaning up to do for the forum admin. I never see the Twitter links posted either. 

Edited by S3V3N
  • Like 1

yeah i can agree that i just wanted to lower this part of the whole pvp mechanics. because, well, in my opinion this is the part people hate the most. i was in massive gun shots, squads vs squads and i truly liked those even thought i died in some. no one hates a good pvp where you have almost equal chance of survive. if the ammo is rare, it means that people don't run around and kill you for no exact good reason. in my experience 90% of my interactions were someone shooting at me without even a hi, sometime they miss, and sometimes the don't i think both count as a KoS (i mean attempting to KoS is also not that good and the idea has a good chance of lowering this)

in any case, i thing no matters what devs do, PvP is almost the biggest challenge out there and this is not a bad thing if we have other challenges. so actually i don't (strongly) advise to lower it to zero or even make a PvE server or anything else... i totally like the idea of PvP and i guess it can not get out completely from a game with some guns, but the thing is, in dayz, it shouldn't be the first approach to everything, it has to be a secondary option or smth that you don't always do but it's there somewhere.

I also don't think going entirely PvE is the way to go, but the E should be a factor in PvP. I found it hilarious during the mod days when PvP'ers would complain about how annoying the Zeds were. They should play a role, be a serious obstacle, in PvP. Their response to gunfire should be dynamic - to make it interesting, but they should be a real danger in PvP... not merely an annoyance. That is another way to curb some elements of KoS... "I could take this shot, but I may get my face chewed off as a result." That should be a serious consideration. Edited by entspeak
  • Like 2

there is tons of opportunities to lessen the role of KOS / PvP-only

- scarce canned food

- few ammo and weapons

- dangerous zeds

- dangerous animals

- individual char skills to be learnt by books or teaching (to me the most compelling argument for teamwork)

- tasks requiring more than one person to complete (electricity, base building come to mind)

- generally more possible tasks in the environment

Edited by Noctoras
  • Like 2

Another question to the "missing guns":

I read in the bugtracker, that there shall be a maximum for items. This maximum refers to the items at their normal spawn locations and the items on the ground somewhere else. As I know it from the private-server I'm playing on, this concerns items that stay on the ground because of peristence (normally for 3 days. e.g. guns). The problem seems to be, that the players, which played directly after implementation of 0.58, took all the guns and stuff and brought them to their camps, where they dropped them on the ground. The CLE is still restricted by the maximum but instead of respawning items the CLE can't spawn anything as long als the items at the camps don't despawn.

Imo the despawn timer of all items on the ground (any storage like backpacks, ammo-boxes, medkits at player-camps... excluded) should be really short. If players want to store such items, they should have to put them into barrels for example. I like the idea of plundering the camps of other players - especially cause it brings a new aspect to the bandit-playstyle but on the other side, I see the current situation on the server, which is horrible for fresh spawned players in some way.

This opinion concerns civillian items. On the other hand I think the cle-maximum could also contain the items in storage-boxes (backpacks, barrels...on the ground), if we talk about high end military gear. Forward-looking to basebuilding this would mean, that there is an alternative, more sneaky way to get this kind of gear instead of mass-pvp at airfilelds and chopper crashsites like atm.

What do you think?

Edited by R. Hartenstein

Another question to the "missing guns":

I read in the bugtracker, that there shall be a maximum for items. This maximum refers to the items at their normal spawn locations and the items on the ground somewhere else. As I know it from the private-server I'm playing on, this concerns items that stay on the ground because of peristence (normally for 3 days. e.g. guns). The problem seems to be, that the players, which played directly after implementation of 0.58, took all the guns and stuff and brought them to their camps, where they dropped them on the ground. The CLE is still restricted by the maximum but instead of respawning items the CLE can't spawn anything as long als the items at the camps don't despawn.

Imo the despawn timer of all items on the ground (any storage like backpacks, ammo-boxes, medkits at player-camps... excluded) should be really short. If players want to store such items, they should have to put them into barrels for example. I like the idea of plundering the camps of other players - especially cause it brings a new aspect to the bandit-playstyle but on the other side, I see the current situation on the server, which is horrible for fresh spawned players in some way.

This opinion concerns civillian items. On the other hand I think the cle-maximum could also contain the items in storage-boxes (backpacks, barrels...on the ground), if we talk about high end military gear. Forward-looking to basebuilding this would mean, that there is an alternative, more sneaky way to get this kind of gear instead of mass-pvp at airfilelds and chopper crashsites like atm.

What do you think?

A couple things: I think we may need some clarification from the devs if it's the intent to have items on the ground count against the CLE maximum.  I was under the impression that this was not the case (although maybe it is, currently?).  I've read so much conflicting information and speculation on this, my brain is a mashed potato on the subject.

Regarding your solution, I know your heart is in the right place, but I don't like it.  I don't like creating an environment where certain individuals and factions that may have more time to dedicate become basically omnipotent.  This is especially damaging to private hives.  There is simply no great equalizer in DayZ to counter the best weapons when it comes to engaging other players.  Yes, I know given the perfect conditions you can kill an M4 guy with a Trumpet, but this is one of those 1%-er scenarios.  It's simply not worth the risk to go to the far reaches of the map with a Trumpet knowing full-well you're probably getting sent back to the coast.

The only other option for getting good gear in your scenario is to become a full-time camp hunter.  Fun for some, not so much for others.

Edited by owly

I think the Devs have all went on a bender after PAX. No status report, no hotfix and no .59!

Yep I'm wondering this as well ... At least a status report would be cool but I'm sure it's just another "can't tell much" report .. I really can't wait til .59 , eugen tweeted saying it will be a bit because of massive engine merges and changes , maybe this means that we will have some advanced stuff in like new player controller / falling system (and of course new vehicles and such). As for .58 I can't see myself playing til after this is all fixed , my favorite 1PP seevers are dead and im too lazy to start a new guy :0 !

• Like 2

Yep I'm wondering this as well ... At least a status report would be cool but I'm sure it's just another "can't tell much" report .. I really can't wait til .59 , eugen tweeted saying it will be a bit because of massive engine merges and changes , maybe this means that we will have some advanced stuff in like new player controller / falling system (and of course new vehicles and such). As for .58 I can't see myself playing til after this is all fixed , my favorite 1PP seevers are dead and im too lazy to start a new guy :0 !

one thing that i can say for sure is, New damage system is coming. so maybe, just maybe, new animation system will come too to support some features like a visual to broken arm etc..

Hopefully we get all that! However, iv noticed that the devs are vague when it comes twitter and the like. Someone asked Eugene when the hotfix will be out and his reply was "its the weekend!everyone will be back Monday!".

They should be fucking politicians lol

Did they removed the Winchester Model 70 for 0.58? Spent about 4 days but failed to get 1. :/

its in, just extremely rare. I've heard/read that most people who found them were in deer stands and log cabins. Personally I found one in a barn. *shrug* Course I soon lost it due to an improper scouting job in Vybor.

there is tons of opportunities to lessen the role of KOS / PvP-only

- scarce canned food

- few ammo and weapons

- dangerous zeds

- dangerous animals

- individual char skills to be learnt by books or teaching (to me the most compelling argument for teamwork)

- tasks requiring more than one person to complete (electricity, base building come to mind)

- generally more possible tasks in the environment

KOS is a mindset. Take out all of the firearms and there will still be a group of folks running around with sticks, trying to club people over the head. They are't happy, unless they are spreading misery and they will persist whether you give them alternatives, or not.

• Like 7

its in, just extremely rare. I've heard/read that most people who found them were in deer stands and log cabins. Personally I found one in a barn. *shrug* Course I soon lost it due to an improper scouting job in Vybor.

Oh.. I tried deer stands. Only Crossbow, ammo, and attachment. About the Barn, you found the Winchester in "Single Storey Barn" or "Double Storey Barn"? And by any chance, do you still remember the area of the Barn?  :)

Edited by Koenigsegg

I think the Devs have all went on a bender after PAX. No status report, no hotfix and no .59!

They have generated ten internal builds over the past week, so one could reasonably assume that they are testing something.

Did they removed the Winchester Model 70 for 0.58? Spent about 4 days but failed to get 1. :/

4 days? - 5 for me. Now I try to find the camps of other players, where they hopefully have stored one in a V3s or sth.^^

Edited by R. Hartenstein
  • Like 1

Oh.. I tried deer stands. Only Crossbow, ammo, and attachment. About the Barn, you found the Winchester in "Single Storey Barn" or "Double Storey Barn"? And by any chance, do you still remember the area of the Barn?  :)

Top floor of the two story barn. No scope or ammo with it. Could have been a player dropped it there of course. But I'm not so sure as most folks don't mess with searching barns anymore even if they do spawn ok stuff now.

Edit: Oh and as too location, it was in one of those towns NNE of the NWAF. Sorry don't remember which one.

Edited by ZogVarnoka