boneboys

Stable Branch - 0.58 Discussion

Has anyone seen a wild boar this build? I really want to make an improvised leather backpack, but can't find any boars. Nor for that matter any cows or deers. When the build first dropped I saw the herd of cows near Sosnovka a couple times, and eventually killed them all. Saw another herd of cows up north somewhere while making the run west from Novo. Have yet to see any deers.

Really just want to find a wild boar though. 

Seen plenty of deer, when I had no gun. Now that I've finally found a flippin shooter (sks), I can't see any. :rolleyes:

So far, I have only spotted deer and cows.

Haven't seen any chickens either. I miss the chicken zombie train that used to happen a few patches ago.

• Like 2

Seen plenty of deer, when I had no gun. Now that I've finally found a flippin shooter (sks), I can't see any. :rolleyes:

So far, I have only spotted deer and cows.

Haven't seen any chickens either. I miss the chicken zombie train that used to happen a few patches ago.

They reduced the AI spawns all around - including animals. There are only a few zeds and animals on the map.

• Like 1

Some player dropped items clean up fine but you're right about bags though, what happens when all the bags from the beach end up discarded inland where better ones spawn. Did the status report say 3 days or 7 days persistence for bags if not interacted with right now?

Part rolls of tape sticks around forever it seems but gas canisters seem to despawn if moved and dropped.

Status report said 3 days for backpacks and it will remain 3 days. And, currently, you have to actually pick them up to reset the timer - simply interacting isn't enough. The only thing that will shift to 7 days from 45 days is tents, barrels, ammo boxes, and protector cases. At that point, interaction will be enough to reset the timer.

• Like 1

I regularly seem to stumble upon animals in the north. Its just deers and cows tho, as Tonyeh said. And when you "trigger" them they go on a race in a 1km circle.

• Like 1

Status report said 3 days for backpacks and it will remain 3 days. And, currently, you have to actually pick them up to reset the timer - simply interacting isn't enough. The only thing that will shift to 7 days from 45 days is tents, barrels, ammo boxes, and protector cases. At that point, interaction will be enough to reset the timer.

That's interesting because that's what I thought it said yet I have backpacks that I haven't picked up for a week that are still there.

The problems with animals may be that they spot you before you spot them. If you are nowhere near a town or anything that would hamper performance, yet you feel a slight load and lag, look around, because animals may have spawned near. However, most of the time I just see them running. The deer seem to be zig-zagging a lot, as opposed to the cows who run the marathon distance, like champs :)

One way I often see animals (cows at least) is when I'm driving around a lot with the truck. I'd say it's still pretty rare I see some, but they have a very "specular/glossy" texture, so you can see them from quite far in their shinyness :)

Boars may be in the game, but will be even harder to spot, due to color and lower profile. If they have the same detection radius like the rest of the animals they'd be pretty much out of sight, before you get there. I chased a group of deer toward Novaya Petrovka yesterday in the hopes that someone else would find them. There was no buck with them, just deer; usually there is a buck. I found him a good ten minutes later stuck on the ground in Novaya's east. I was sure that herd I saw spawned near me, because I was slow walking, stopping and talking with friends. That's when I usually find some deer - when I don't run around all the time and am near a feeding shack. However with the buck stuck in Novaya it either means the herd respawned without a buck or they ran into the forest without it and re-spawned there. It's really mostly speculation, but suffice to say cows and deer are in and you will come across some eventually. I saw my first herd when I went fishing at the pond near Msta. However, I've never seen any deer there since. Just go about your ways, eventually you'll come across some deer; most likely when your bags are full to the brim ;)

Yeah both times I saw herds of cows I had been running like a madman and of course by the time I noticed them they had spooked and started their Usain Bolt impressions. Snuck back up on the herd near Sosnovka, as they seem to be set to sandbox by the small pond south of there. Shot a couple of them, the rest ran off but as I was cleaning the ones I shot the herd came back lol. Got the rest of them but haven't seen any respawn since. 

Have noticed some lag while running through forests and fields. Will slow down next time that happens and have a look around, nice and quiet like. Went out this morning up north moving fairly quietly, observing forests and fields, semi stalking mode but damn after and hour or so of that without seeing any animals I said f*ck it and started looting villages again. As you said, best way to find them is not to be looking for them (like most things in Dayz!).

• Like 1

Yeah both times I saw herds of cows I had been running like a madman and of course by the time I noticed them they had spooked and started their Usain Bolt impressions. Snuck back up on the herd near Sosnovka, as they seem to be set to sandbox by the small pond south of there. Shot a couple of them, the rest ran off but as I was cleaning the ones I shot the herd came back lol. Got the rest of them but haven't seen any respawn since. 

Have noticed some lag while running through forests and fields. Will slow down next time that happens and have a look around, nice and quiet like. Went out this morning up north moving fairly quietly, observing forests and fields, semi stalking mode but damn after and hour or so of that without seeing any animals I said f*ck it and started looting villages again. As you said, best way to find them is not to be looking for them (like most things in Dayz!).

Just started getting out of my area last night in stable to try hunting and haven't seen anything yet, had a few stutters last night and looked around though.

Almost all the animals I saw in later EXP were after I gave up on hunting them and just stumbled across them doing a heli hunt circuit.

• Like 1

I haven't picked up any of my backpacks, just messed with the inventory, for over a week and they've remained so go figure.

Regarding lag around camps, I've been keeping my camps small to prevent it but last night when I put an empty Smersh pack into a barrel it caused a 15 second delay in all actions; the barrel wasn't even full!

I haven't picked up any of my backpacks, just messed with the inventory, for over a week and they've remained so go figure.

Regarding lag around camps, I've been keeping my camps small to prevent it but last night when I put an empty Smersh pack into a barrel it caused a 15 second delay in all actions; the barrel wasn't even full!

What you're saying about camp lag is reflecting what I'm seeing, containers in containers might be the problem. My first camp, decent sized now 2 full barrels, 2 full taloon packs and a protective case was fine even with a truck in the vicinity. My small test camp 2 child's brief cases and an improvised bag stopped acting up when I removed the fireplace containing a first aid kit from one of the bags and separated them.   

• Like 4

I had the dreaded camp lag a little earlier. Two full barrels, two improvised backpacks, one sposn, and a few rifles on the ground. Slow laggy response and barrels didn't want to open. Lost session then tried moving the improvised packs to surrounding trees, seemed to help a little bit. 

How long does it take to tan cow pelts? Ran across another herd doing laps above Stary Sabor, up the hill and back down again. Emptied out a barrel, added water, lime and 3 pelts, closed lid and clicked option to tan pelts. Now all I can do is View contents and Inspect. Don't tell me DayZ is suddenly going for realism and it's going to take a week? Or did I screw something up?  :o

• Like 1

What you're saying about camp lag is reflecting what I'm seeing, containers in containers might be the problem. My first camp, decent sized now 2 full barrels, 2 full taloon packs and a protective case was fine even with a truck in the vicinity. My small test camp 2 child's brief cases and an improvised bag stopped acting up when I removed the fireplace containing a first aid kit from one of the bags and separated them.   

Have to check that when I get back to camp. Think I had containers (pots and pans) in the improvised backpacks. Good catch if that's the culprit!  :beans:

• Like 1

Have to check that when I get back to camp. Think I had containers (pots and pans) in the improvised backpacks. Good catch if that's the culprit!  :beans:

Do that please, you know how DayZ is and unless several people try the same thing several times...

I had the dreaded camp lag a little earlier. Two full barrels, two improvised backpacks, one sposn, and a few rifles on the ground. Slow laggy response and barrels didn't want to open. Lost session then tried moving the improvised packs to surrounding trees, seemed to help a little bit. 

How long does it take to tan cow pelts? Ran across another herd doing laps above Stary Sabor, up the hill and back down again. Emptied out a barrel, added water, lime and 3 pelts, closed lid and clicked option to tan pelts. Now all I can do is View contents and Inspect. Don't tell me DayZ is suddenly going for realism and it's going to take a week? Or did I screw something up?  :o

It takes 5 minutes or so. Also you can use nails to dye your leather clothes brown (and the hat black, even). Normally tree bark would do that, but its bugged the fuck out.

Consumed about 20-25 nails to color my leather sack.

Do that please, you know how DayZ is and unless several people try the same thing several times...

Im gonna check that as well, tho I can confirm around the area where I merely have one full barrel and a single lone ammo box full of shit it occasionally starts bugging out. Delay is low, but actions are acting completely retarded. Like no sound when eating. And sometimes no animation. Etc etc

Edited by jayfkay
  • Like 1

*snip*

Im gonna check that as well, tho I can confirm around the area where I merely have one full barrel and a single lone ammo box full of shit it occasionally starts bugging out. Delay is low, but actions are acting completely retarded. Like no sound when eating. And sometimes no animation. Etc etc

Input lag is one that's tough for me to nail down no mater how much I test it because of my unstable satellite internet. The weather has been changing here and I'm just as likely to get it form thick clouds passing between me and outerspace right now. 3-5 seconds is pretty normal for me intermittently but the 30+ I was getting at some points exploiting fireplaces in bags to gain slots and such seems odd though.

My camp is still laggy as hell but I only moved the improvised backpacks (with containers) to nearby trees. Guess I'll have to drag them a good several hundred meters away to know for sure. Damn Dayz is not letting me be Lazy!

My camp is still laggy as hell but I only moved the improvised backpacks (with containers) to nearby trees. Guess I'll have to drag them a good several hundred meters away to know for sure. Damn Dayz is not letting me be Lazy!

When I last tried around the small problem camp I had to go almost 500m away to eat without a 30 second delay to get the option and another 30 seconds for the animation to start after selected. 

I think it has to do with the "network bubble" and how you have stuff on the ground inside your network cache, so I would advice to keep at least 1km between your smaller camps to avoid having any kind of problems. I had 4 backpacks in with a 700 between them once and it was still unplayable.

• Like 1

I think it has to do with the "network bubble" and how you have stuff on the ground inside your network cache, so I would advice to keep at least 1km between your smaller camps to avoid having any kind of problems. I had 4 backpacks in with a 700 between them once and it was still unplayable.

So I get the 1km bubble around the player but does stuff have it's own bubble?

I started with two very well separated camps and fixed them individually but they never had the ability to affect each other. 1 Camp causing it's own problems is one thing but 2 camps causing problems with each other collectively is another can of worms.   

I'm still puzzled by this camp lag myself. I got my truck moved way down the hill thanks to the tips provided here regarding shooting out the tires. On an incline it slides like a body. 

Anyways, since moving that truck, I have one barrel with an ammo can inside, plus weapons, ammo etc. No lag. Roughly a 1000m away I have another barrel and 3 back packs. All with a mix of items from weapons to food. Major lag and delay with the occasional "lost session". 

Guess i'll split up that site into another and see what happens...... :(

Edited by The Riddler
  • Like 1

I'm still puzzled by this camp lag myself. I got my truck moved way down the hill thanks to the tips provided here regarding shooting out the tires. On an incline it slides like a body. 

Anyways, since moving that truck, I have one barrel with an ammo can inside, plus weapons, ammo etc. No lag. Roughly a 1000m away I have another barrel and 3 back packs. All with a mix of items from weapons to food. Major lag and delay with the occasional "lost session". 

Not sure if I should have let that "secret" out logged in to find my truck not hidden anymore and quite a ways down a hill from where I left it yesterday.

Try taking the ammo can and any other containers in containers out first for "science"?

That is definitely too much from my experience. I got one barrel and a single ammo box with shit and I dont dare go beyond that. Its already starting to cause the inability to open some doors of a nearby city and shit like that.

Also guess what I just found guys and previously had trouble finding ever since I aquired 24 tanned leather... yep, a whooping 100 nails! thanks stranger for dropping those in the ATC.

Where did u find all those barrels/tents? Spent some hours on a private server again to do some "research" on the weapon-issuses...didn't see any tents or barrels on my way across the map, just one V3S at Dubrovka.

About the guns:

Finally (365 cans of soda later :D ) I found a Ishz18 rifle in a not so often visited barn. Thought that there is maybe more in other barns like that but did'nt find any guns. The same thing in all other houses, police stations,...

Let's hope that there is a hotfix on monday, otherwise I see no real goal to achieve atm :( .

That is definitely too much from my experience. I got one barrel and a single ammo box with shit and I dont dare go beyond that. Its already starting to cause the inability to open some doors of a nearby city and shit like that.

*snip* 

I have 2 barrels, 2 backpacks, and a protective case, 2 shotguns and a crossbow, the containers are almost all full and had a half full truck by it with no problem last night. Something that might be different is there are there are very few spawn points and intractable objects like doors within at least 1 km in any direction.

I have 2 barrels, 2 backpacks, and a protective case, 2 shotguns and a crossbow, the containers are almost all full and had a half full truck by it with no problem last night. Something that might be different is there are there are very few spawn points and intractable objects like doors within at least 1 km in any direction.

Stop snipping my posts off :(

I guess your right, the objects of the nearby buildings must be the reason for me. I am pretty much 100% that its about the sum of all items in an area thats causing the problems. For example it differs depending on how many ppl are logged in with full gear.

Stop snipping my posts off :(

I guess your right, the objects of the nearby buildings must be the reason for me. I am pretty much 100% that its about the sum of all items in an area thats causing the problems. For example it differs depending on how many ppl are logged in with full gear.

The second paragraph wasn't relative to camp lag, sorry.

My area does have very few objects on the ground last time I checked. I had 2 characters loaded to the gills in mediocre gear as far as carrying capacity but if it's the sum of all objects they'd add up to peanuts considering the rest of the area. The server itself seldom has more than 5 people at a time recently so I wonder how it adds up on full pop server.