Sign in to follow this  
Reg Park

Do you even like PVP?

PVP Poll  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Do you even like PVP?

• Yes, bring it on!
    • No, leave me alone!
    • Sometimes but I don't go out of my way for it.
    • What is PVP?
    • This isn't COD, PVP does not belong in this game.

Just trying to get an idea of how players feel about it.

love it but am not keen on the way it works now in .57 i.e. get automatic weapon, have fight, get another automatic weapon etc

the battles in dayz are intense because they are semi-rare. when they aren't rare and it's easy to get re-geared the thrill is gone

• Like 1

I don't like pvp but do like that other players can pose a threat.

What I see the die hard pvpers complaining about for the most part is that this game isn't just like many other games that already cater to gear, kill, die, repeat which has nothing to do with survival, they don't value their's or anyone else's characters lives any farther than a tally.

I prefer my interactions to be meeting someone in passing, aiding them if they need it, letting them know I'm fine if they offer, exchanging some info on what we've seen and going on with our respective dayz.

I don't doubt there'd be a bunch of kill em all assholes at the onset of something like this but it's not a sustainable lifestyle and in reality they'd kill each other off in short order.

If it wasn't for bugs I'd be all for a 12hr lockout after you died to think about what you did wrong and not repeat it in your next "life".   

• Like 2

I really like observing people and following them around for a while. I also like carrying multiple weapons, circling around a bunch of guys and firing everything I have from cover. Not with the intention of killing anyone, but just to pretend there is more than me out there. Spreading chaos and watching it unfold is my mission in Dayz :) I don't like close quarters fighting in towns, because I'm missing the zombies. It's too easy to sit on some roof and just pour down led. It's not how I play, but I've been killed that way a couple of times.

PvP can be fun when you meet someone with the same weapon. It either ends in one or both running out of ammo and having a laugh or just splitting up again. I've had a guy walk up to me and ask for an axe battle, which we then performed and both had fun doing. I wish I could cause more mayhem in Dayz, but without infected the game doesn't allow for a lot of experiments. PvP is okay, but most of the time, I just wanna run around and explore. Especially, if I missed a few patches and there are new mechanics to try out. 

Edited by S3V3N
  • Like 1

if only the devs added PVE  for the players who don't like killing other players and will make the game more peaceful.

Good pvp needs good pve and vis versa.  They already got the pvp aspect, they need to flesh out the pve.  And pve here is player vs environment and all that entails.  So more crafting, better zombies (though zombies honestly should remain background noise), hostile animals, weather and all that stuff.

PvP needs to carry some weight, good pve ensures that.  Without the risk of pvp, pve becomes stale.

• Like 3

if only the devs added PVE  for the players who don't like killing other players and will make the game more peaceful.

those servers exist look for them, if you mean PVE threat well might be awhile.

Edited by gannon46

Whenever i see someone, i try to confront them in one way or another (talking or attacking, depending on situation and place),

but when people notice me first, i still get a slight panic, especially when i'm well geared, even after 4 years of playing DayZ (mod and standalone)

Edited by Zombo

I'm an opportunist, as someone who is all about survival. Every player is a threat, and to survive you need to remove all threats to your life, whilst taking as little risks as possible.

So I don't always shoot on sight if they have the upper hand. I will let them lower their guard, then I will take them out. Groups I avoid where possible. And I only team up with people on Teamspeak, or naive players who I'm waiting to kill.

I also ensure I carry a good knife on me at all times. Human steaks make a great souvenir for your travels.

DAyZ without PVP is not DayZ. The ENTIRE point of the game is that you could lose everything to another player - all your hard earned loot gone at any time if you  don't prevail. That's where all the fear came from which is what made DAyZ what it was.

I voted for the bring it on but that doesn't really tell the right story. PVP should always be there but imo, something you don't go looking for. In an apocalypse, you would defend yourself, not deliberately go looking for a fight.

And extremely boring.

I found myself alone in the woods recently with a group of 6 players after me, armed with my trusty SKS/PU against AK's. It actually played out a lot like the season finale of True Detective, moving from tree cover to cover, headshotting my pursuers until I ran out of trees and still had two after me. I charged them and went out in a blaze of glory. PvP is what makes DayZ such a fun game, and it doesn't matter if you live or die in the battle as long as you're having fun.

• Like 2

It has potential and can be exciting. Especially as a fight can break out suddenly and without warning. However, if it takes over gamplay because there is literally nothing else to do (because all other gamplay elements are trivial) or gamplay mechanics emphasize combat (e.g. free inventory slots for weapons, mechanics that make combat easier, overabundance of weapons and ammo, complete anonymity of players) it gets annoying and arguably destroys the "sandbox" and the "survival" part resulting in a big deathmatch.

Personally I prefer not to PvP most of the time because the mechanics and performance are reasonably bad which might result in a lot of glitching. It gets worse on third person servers were wall peeking warps gameplay to a point where it feels neither authentic nor enjoyable. And finally I prefer to approach players in a friendly matter instead of attacking them which I find to be the lazy and riskfree way that avoids many gameplay elements and a lot of excitements.

In short: PvP is a major part of the game and I like to have it in, but it should only be one element in a big world and not the main focus.

PvP can SOMETIMES be fun but I definitely dont go looking for it. I find it boring for the most part. If I wanted constant pvp I'd play something else. I'd rather the 'badguys' in this game held people up, interacted with players, robbed them, whatever. But to just shoot people with no warning, for no reason than to just kill another player is straight up boring as fuck and sinply douchey. Make the game interesting and actually talk to people. Killing from range for the sake of killing another player is pointless and boring.

• Like 1

PvP can SOMETIMES be fun but I definitely dont go looking for it. I find it boring for the most part. If I wanted constant pvp I'd play something else. I'd rather the 'badguys' in this game held people up, interacted with players, robbed them, whatever. But to just shoot people with no warning, for no reason than to just kill another player is straight up boring as fuck and sinply douchey. Make the game interesting and actually talk to people. Killing from range for the sake of killing another player is pointless and boring.

take my beans! all of them!!!  :beans:  :beans:  :beans:  :beans:  :beans:

This is DayZ

This is my story.

In my story, people die.

I would bet that the people who feel that pvp is a bad thing and get hung up on people killing other people value their gear (and their character's life) much more than their pvping counterparts.  Often, the people that die and get upset don't like pvp (for whatever reason(totally valid)) and the people that don't get upset like to pvp.  Many people don't value their toon's life at all.  Why should they care about yours?

The side benefit of lots of pvp is that you become a master at gearing up, seeing as how someone is a fresh spawn A LOT.

This isn't COD, PVP does not belong in this game.

Some people enjoy dayz pvp because gearing up actually requires effort. Notsomuch in .57 stable, but in general, the thrill of the kill is so much sweeter in DayZ compared to other MMOs and FPS.  Dayz is a game about theft, theft of your time investment.

I happen to roll with a clan that plans out events where we split into teams and kill each other over various scenarios.   It's great fun!

It has potential and can be exciting. Especially as a fight can break out suddenly and without warning. However, if it takes over gamplay because there is literally nothing else to do (because all other gamplay elements are trivial) or gamplay mechanics emphasize combat (e.g. free inventory slots for weapons, mechanics that make combat easier, overabundance of weapons and ammo, complete anonymity of players) it gets annoying and arguably destroys the "sandbox" and the "survival" part resulting in a big deathmatch.

Personally I prefer not to PvP most of the time because the mechanics and performance are reasonably bad which might result in a lot of glitching. It gets worse on third person servers were wall peeking warps gameplay to a point where it feels neither authentic nor enjoyable. And finally I prefer to approach players in a friendly matter instead of attacking them which I find to be the lazy and riskfree way that avoids many gameplay elements and a lot of excitements.

In short: PvP is a major part of the game and I like to have it in, but it should only be one element in a big world and not the main focus.

My mate and I go all over the map. We go looking for gear and other players stashes (or will do when that's all working properly). We plant food, look for places to hold up, explore, visit favourite locations, hunt, cook food, repair, etc - granted we haven't played in months but that's fine with us - we want a finished game to play. We find lots to do and PVP takes up less than 1% of our time I'd have to say.

However, when it does come, it makes for the most exciting FPS action I've ever encountered.

In the end I don't want the DayZ to be PvP game like it has been since the 2012 Autumn (OK it was pretty bad already in the late summer). PvP opportunity is nice to have in the game and it greats different athmosphere, but giving other people's life no value and generally easy to survive against anything alone makes the PvP just like playing any other shooter.

If the word PvP means this, then I don't like it.

This is DayZ

This is my story.

In my story, people die.

I would bet that the people who feel that pvp is a bad thing and get hung up on people killing other people value their gear (and their character's life) much more than their pvping counterparts.  Often, the people that die and get upset don't like pvp (for whatever reason(totally valid)) and the people that don't get upset like to pvp.  Many people don't value their toon's life at all.  Why should they care about yours?

The side benefit of lots of pvp is that you become a master at gearing up, seeing as how someone is a fresh spawn A LOT.

Some people enjoy dayz pvp because gearing up actually requires effort. Notsomuch in .57 stable, but in general, the thrill of the kill is so much sweeter in DayZ compared to other MMOs and FPS.  Dayz is a game about theft, theft of your time investment.

I happen to roll with a clan that plans out events where we split into teams and kill each other over various scenarios.   It's great fun!

Everyone should be valuing their life. The game is a "survival" game. That means the objective is to survive which many people do not get. In an FPS game, one big objective is to kill other players. So COD, a high kill score helps you win the overall game. People can do that but it seems a huge amount of people suck at DayZ because they can't live very long. It's immaterial how many times you kill someone because if you can't make it passed a day, you suck ass at the game.

BIS should be promoting survival and offering rewards for it. That will generate even more panic to those people trying to reach those awards and more butt hurt tears when their lives are extinguished.

But, just as you couldn't care less about the 345th time you died in COD, you shouldn't care about your death in DayZ when it happens. You just pick yourself up and carry on. Before you die though, you'll care very much about your life which is how it should be because that gets the adrenaline going and that is the DayZ experience.

Everyone should be valuing their life. The game is a "survival" game. That means the objective is to survive which many people do not get. In an FPS game, one big objective is to kill other players. So COD, a high kill score helps you win the overall game. People can do that but it seems a huge amount of people suck at DayZ because they can't live very long. It's immaterial how many times you kill someone because if you can't make it passed a day, you suck ass at the game.

BIS should be promoting survival and offering rewards for it. That will generate even more panic to those people trying to reach those awards and more butt hurt tears when their lives are extinguished.

But, just as you couldn't care less about the 345th time you died in COD, you shouldn't care about your death in DayZ when it happens. You just pick yourself up and carry on. Before you die though, you'll care very much about your life which is how it should be because that gets the adrenaline going and that is the DayZ experience.

Ha!  Says you!

Some of us aren't restricted by the notion that other people tell us how we should be playing.  Who says it's a survival game?  And why do these people really matter?  They don't!  Nobody is gonna tell me how to play in a sandbox with no rules.  Your post has a lot of "you should be doing this" and "this should be your experience".  Well, that's a bunch of nonsense.  I don't get "more panic", "butt hurt" "care about your life", or "adrenaline".  Ever.  

Don't tell me how I should feel.  Don't tell me how I should play based on someone else's definition of the game.   That's so tired and old.

I do "like" PvP, but to me, PvP is more than just getting the closest firearm and shooting people till you run out of bullets.

Competing for resources is PvP

Stalking someone through a town, without them knowing, is PvP

Trading some goods is PvP

One of the major issues with this game is the fact that there is LITERALLY NOTHING to do, other than kill people. Grow plants? Meh, they are done in 20 minutes. I don't need to log in over the course of a week, weeding and chasing away animals. Food? You can literally trip over canned food, and animals are literally stumblefuck-level stupid, to the point where you can get within 20 meters of one. Safe drinking water? Pshh, in experimental, they added more wells to towns. Temperature? No need to worry, every day is sunny and warm. Guns and bullets? GUNS FOR THE GUN GOD, BULLETS FOR THE BULLET THRONE.

Would having more difficult PvE mechanics make PvP go away? Of fucking course not, look at ARK. But, it would make PvP more meaningful. You fight for things, not for no reason at all. 

I have always said that my "perfect" day z would be one where things just straight up don't respawn. Bullets, medical supplies, canned food. And, what is there would degrade over time. Bullets get less effective, and cause misfires. Medicines straight up don't work. Food goes bad (botulism, anyone?) Yes. there would be A LOT of stuff at the "beginning", but as they get used up, you either 1) find alternate sources for things, or 2) bluff. Lie like your life depends on it. More "hold ups" with empty/nearly empty weapons, instead of just blasting everything. More melee combat, or skirmishing, as opposed to standing in the street blazing rounds at each other. More trading, more of a "community", instead of people hopping onto random servers 50 times per day, and never learning anyones name.

One of the major issues with this game is the fact that there is LITERALLY NOTHING to do, other than kill people.

"Only boring people get bored"

CcwnvBr.png