SmashT

Experimental Branch: 0.54 Discussion

I've had the same problem of spawning as  a fresh spawn on a server I hadn't visited before. If you join any of the northeast/southwest experimental servers you should have your character back.

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I hopped onto two favorite servers (not many experimental first person servers to choose from) and my character has definitely gone Tango Uniform.

Not long after respawning, my new character went into a house, walked up stairs and was seized with the dreaded "Broken Leg & Ruined Pants/Gear/Shoes" bug. What's next, right? Well I pressed on and on a more positive note, my new character found a stake body V3S, with a full tank of fuel. I terrorized quite a few towns, before I ended up wedging it between two trees. What a hoot! I'll have to find my controller, to see if that makes it any easier to steer. I'm all thumbs, when to comes to steering with the keyboard.

Afterwards, I looted the Myshkino military camp. Not only didn't I get killed, but no one even fired a shot at me! Truth be told, there isn't a lot going on there any way. I was looking for a vest and some ammo and I scored both, so mission accomplished.

All in all everything evened out at the end. The devs giveth and the devs taketh away.

Anyone tried to the new patch yet for exp 0.54 havent got around to downloading as im update a few games at the moment. Its it working, can join servers etc

I know most of you guys are aware that experimental is not about getting geared, but here's a little heads up anyway.

• Like 2

new rocks at scalisky island plus other stuff

osDpUs6.jpg

sbvNYoL.jpg

CIye62q.jpg

and new quarry overhaul

3b2xZYA.jpg

uJnwVbl.jpg

Edited by Lauri7x3
  • Like 2

Please put your pics in spoilers, otherwise Bone will come and spank you ( and it keeps the thread clean when you scroll through the posts )

• Like 1

I know most of you guys are aware that experimental is not about getting geared, but here's a little heads up anyway.

After spending 6 hours playing yesterday I'm just a tad bit sad about that, but oh well... gearing up is fun! :) Hopefully we get a new patch as well. I asked for clarification but haven't heard back from him.

Are you sure the rocks are new? I seem to remember it looking pretty similar with the overhaul from 0.53.

• Like 1

Hopefully some stuff which wasn't spawning before is now, can anyone comment if they have found stuff like suppressor easts or hunting knives?

http://feedback.dayzgame.com/view.php?id=20277

I could have sworn Hunting Knives were in 0.53. I can confirm that pistol suppressors (not the improvised one that's new) are spawning again in 0.54. I was carrying one around yesterday.

One thing I haven't seen commented on yet: fireplaces.

They have changed... again. I don't have the screenshots I took here at work because I forgot to upload them last night, but they are different. Combining a rag and a wooden stick will now create a full-fledged (basic) fireplace rather than a fireplace kit, complete with all its inventory space. Once it's created, it will show the rag(s) and stick(s) as fuel items at the top as though you had added them to an existing fireplace; removing them from the fireplace doesn't deconstruct it, instead it removes those items visibly (you can see them under the stack of logs) and will prevent you from lighting the fireplace with matches -- you get a message along the lines of "There is no kindling to light." I'm not sure if one or both are required to start the fire, I didn't think to check, but having at least one rag, one stick, and an additional fuel (i.e. firewood) will let you ignite the fireplace.

I did not try adding a tripod or making an oven, but those should still theoretically work the same. Basically, the game now treats kindling (sticks, paper, rags) as items to be added to a fireplace rather than its own separate fireplace kit. You still have to combine paper/rags and a stick to create the fireplace in the first place, though. I hope that makes sense, I feel like I'm rambling and making less and less sense as I type :P I'll post screenshots to go along with it later today when I can get to them.

EDIT: Not sure if this worked yet in 0.53, but you can also re-light fires now if they have recently gone out. It will show the fireplace as a bed of hot coals, and if you add more fuel (sticks, firewood) you can then "blow" into the fire to reignite it without using matches. If you wait too long though, it will tell you the fireplace has become too cold to re-light. Eventually it will go out completely.

Edited by Tatanko
  • Like 2

I still haven't succeeded at making an oven/furnace yet. Do you use large stones as opposed to small ones? And once made do you need tripod less?

One strange thing happened to me today.

Yesterday, i started in Berezino, looted the entire town with no incidents, and after two hours I decided that i should take a break and headed for the woods to log off. While running there, my game crashed to desktop. I didn't bother, because i wanted to stop playing anyway, but today i logged back in and my character was in Elektro's police station. lol.

• Like 1

One strange thing happened to me today.

Yesterday, i started in Berezino, looted the entire town with no incidents, and after two hours I decided that i should take a break and headed for the woods to log off. While running there, my game crashed to desktop. I didn't bother, because i wanted to stop playing anyway, but today i logged back in and my character was in Elektro's police station. lol.

That´s not normal, electro is far, far away. Very strange.

Edited by juliomagno

I still haven't succeeded at making an oven/furnace yet. Do you use large stones as opposed to small ones? And once made do you need tripod less?

Stone ovens require 8 small stones, the kind you search for on the ground (and use to make the improvised knife). The tripod is used separately; the goal with each is to provide you a way to use the cooking pot over the fire, they just do that in different ways.

(My picture btw :p)

Not sure what this means for today; Eugen is saying Experimental will be "reset" (taking that to mean wiped) tonight, but I'm not seeing any moves being made to update the game via SteamDB. Other than a few small hiccups, yesterday's build of 0.54 (126628) is pretty good... I would give it the Stable seal of approval personally. 

Edited by Tatanko
  • Like 2

Stone ovens require 8 small stones, the kind you search for on the ground (and use to make the improvised knife). The tripod is used separately; the goal with each is to provide you a way to use the cooking pot over the fire, they just do that in different ways.

What happens if you put four stones in fireplace? Do you get ring of stones around fire? I read that somewhere, but can't remember it that was confirmed or speculation.

What happens if you put four stones in fireplace? Do you get ring of stones around fire? I read that somewhere, but can't remember it that was confirmed or speculation.

I haven't had any success with creating a "stone ring" fireplace in a few versions, but I haven't really tried much either. Don't have an answer for you unfortunately, but I hope someone else does because I'm curious as well. Maybe I'll try tonight.

(My picture btw :P)

Not sure what this means for today; Eugen is saying Experimental will be "reset" (taking that to mean wiped) tonight, but I'm not seeing any moves being made to update the game via SteamDB. Other than a few small hiccups, yesterday's build of 0.54 (126628) is pretty good... I would give it the Stable seal of approval personally. 

Only things I've heard that seem to be semi-serious issues are getting out of the back of a V3S (end up in the ground, haven't had the chance to confirm myself) and the CTD's/memory leak.

Nearly got to making a fire last night but the game crashed right as I was combining sticks and rags to make a fireplace. I think this was just a coincidence.

I think a nice user-friendly way to have fireplaces operate is for them to once again start as fireplace kits. At that point you should be able to light it right away (and hurry to add fuel before it depletes) or add logs/sticks and then light it (which might be the smarter idea). But it shouldn't require a certain amount like 5 sticks or 3 logs, but rather just enough to keep the fire going. Having to add a set amount made it somewhat non-intuitive. Edit: Apparently this is pretty much the way it works now.

Would be nice if pots/pans spawned more frequently in rural villages/small houses. I know they're common in some of the larger multistory buildings but I'm a small town kinda guy and never seem to find either. :(

Edited by solodude23
  • Like 1

I only tried it in 0.53 but if you put 5 stones in the fireplace there is a ring around. Sadly I couldn't try it in 0.54, maybe tonight, after the wipe.

fez2uyhv.jpg

Since the V3S is in, had it always these tire marks? Or are they new?

m9ecigxt.jpg

The new animal AI is really challenging. I tried to shoot a deer with the bow, but I couldn't get close enough. It ran away before I could reach it :) (I think chickens have the new AI, too.  But they are easy targets :P )

Every time I'm driving a cargo V3S, the game (or server? I don't know) crashs. Is it bad luck or a bug? Tried it three time, same result - crash. That is, for me, the biggest issue in this build.

Sometimes lags and desync. The main menu is still broken on my end.

• Like 2

Only things I've heard that seem to be semi-serious issues are getting out of the back of a V3S (end up in the ground, haven't had the chance to confirm myself) and the CTD's/memory leak.

Nearly got to making a fire last night but the game crashed right as I was combining sticks and rags to make a fireplace.

I think a nice user-friendly way to have fireplaces operate is for them to once again start as fireplace kits. At that point you should be able to light it right away (and hurry to add fuel before it depletes) or add logs/sticks and then light it (which might be the smarter idea). But it shouldn't require a certain amount like 5 sticks or 3 logs, but rather just enough to keep the fire going. Having to add a set amount made it somewhat non-intuitive.

Would be nice if pots/pans spawned more frequently in rural villages/small houses. I know they're common in some of the larger multistory buildings but I'm a small town kinda guy and never seem to find either. :(

Yeah, basically the only reason I go into big towns is to a get a pot or pan.

• Like 1

Meh, my server went broke, making my way north back to my tent location on another when I am wordlessly executed with a shot to the back of the head by some KoS kunt while I was bandaging after killing a zed.  Back to stable.  I got shit to do today anyway.

• Like 2

I only tried it in 0.53 but if you put 5 stones in the fireplace there is a ring around. Sadly I couldn't try it in 0.54, maybe tonight, after the wipe.

fez2uyhv.jpg

Since the V3S is in, had it always these tire marks? Or are they new?

Thanks for the info about the fire ring. I'll check that out tonight.

The tire marks were in 0.53, I can confirm that. They seem to be more obvious when it's raining though (surprise, surprise).

• Like 1

Is there a final word on character reset on stable launch?

There has been a public hive wipe with the 0.53 stable patch. There's nothing on any new public hive resets. The private hive didn't get any wipe either. Only the experimental branch gets a wipe almost every new experimental build.

• Like 2

F.Y.I.

Maybe it's just me, but ...

I was tinkering with my config and launch parameters. I launched the game and all I got was a light blue pulsing screen and ambient noises. I had no menu, whatsoever. I went back over my work and I could find no errors. I validated the local files and everything checked out. I renamed my config files and allowed the game to generate new, default config files. Still, I had no menu when I launched the game.

Then I remembered a recent tweet from Eugen and added -oldui to my launch parameters. This did the trick. It's the old menu system, but at least I now have a menu.

I hope this saves someone some time and aggravation.

Same thing just happened to me. Think I'm gonna switch to old UI as well. Only thing that kept me from doing so earlier is someone on here said they lost their character. Can anyone confirm loss of character upon using the old UI or was it likely unrelated?

Edit: Used -oldui with no loss of character.

Edited by solodude23