SmashT

Experimental Branch: 0.54 Discussion

West of Balotta I got swarmed, 8-10 zeds easy, came at me in groups of 3 or singles within a very short time.  Found 2 police cars so far, not much stuff but nice to see, made it to the prison, pistol silencers are back, found three of them out there and took two, one for my CR75 and one for my MP5 (YES, it fit on the MP5).  Also magazines, butt stocks and fore grips are all spawning now. The guard barracks, attached to the prison, is now spawning stuff both 1st and 2nd floors, weapons, magazines, food and uniform items.   Found one mag each for CR75, a 30 rnd for MP5, AK74, AKM and two mags for AK101.  Have not found a truck yet or a crash site.  I feel well geared and must now escape the coast.

Edited by Barnabus
  • Like 3

I had pretty good luck myself as I found a silencer and put it on a 1911 I had in my inventory. I've also managed to find a long horn which I used as my main weapon

since I don't have a clip for the 1911 yet and I also managed to find an akm and a 30 rnd mag as well. I also found a gorka e helmet and a visor so I am pretty happy

atm and all I need now is a high cap vest and I'm set. 

I have heard tell of but have not seen a "plate carrier" vest.

Are any of you familiar with the launch parameters for connecting directly to a server? I'll quote myself below on this subject:

Thanks! I didn't think of connecting directly, duh.

I have heard tell of but have not seen a "plate carrier" vest.

I'm wearing one.

EDIT: Can confirm there are SKS everywhere.

Edited by Ebrim

F.Y.I.

Maybe it's just me, but ...

I was tinkering with my config and launch parameters. I launched the game and all I got was a light blue pulsing screen and ambient noises. I had no menu, whatsoever. I went back over my work and I could find no errors. I validated the local files and everything checked out. I renamed my config files and allowed the game to generate new, default config files. Still, I had no menu when I launched the game.

Then I remembered a recent tweet from Eugen and added -oldui to my launch parameters. This did the trick. It's the old menu system, but at least I now have a menu.

I hope this saves someone some time and aggravation.

It happend to me on the first 0.54 build too and also in the last one we just got, reported it to the bugtracker.

Same here

I cant really even figure out how to get into this build so im just going to play another game for awhile i guess lol.

• Like 1

Anyone having issues connecting in today's build (0.54.126628) can abandon using the previous methods of connecting. I took the advice of Eugen's tweet:

...and did exactly that. I like the new menu better aesthetically, but using the old menu makes connecting a breeze. It works exactly as it always had and you can connect right in. Much easier than the direct connection method I was using before.

Many observations:

1. Getting in and out of servers using the -oldui method is quite fast, and I rarely had timers to spawn back into the game if the game crashed. If I did, they were 30 second timers (which freaked me out the first time).

2. Trumpet is awesome. Currently carrying one in my backpack, but having a hard time coming by .22 ammo. Useless against deer at 150m.

3. New V3S cargo variant is awesome! I ended up with a total of three. Yes, three. The first I found in Stary Yar, flipped it on its side before I even reached Krasnoe. The second I went back and found yet again in Stary Yar in the same server and flipped it on its side about 10km down the road in a cow field running over cows. Oops. The third I found in the lumber mill in Zaprudnoe and a buddy and I took it east down the highway... my game crashed, and after I loaded back in he needed to restart as well; just as he spawned back in another truck came out of nowhere and plowed into him and killed him  :| I raced after the other truck in my own truck, confronted him in Severograd, he attempted to open my door several times and shoot at me while I was stuck on a guardrail, and eventually he was forced to drive off leaving me bleeding. I was able to recover and kept my truck :) I'll post a link below shortly to a gallery of all this nonsense. (You have to love DayZ!)

EDIT: Link to pictures:

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/221131-six-hours-of-054-featuring-v3s-cargo/

Edited by Tatanko
  • Like 3

Good days work for a Sunday Dev's.  This build runs pretty good.  A couple issues...last build it seemed my gear was rattling behind me much like the phantom footsteps in .53 that were removed.  Now I'm hearing the footsteps again in this build and I don't like it.  I'm forever turning around expecting someone to be there.  Having some game freeze issues and CTD's.  Loot distribution is better than the last build.  Glad to see the fire kit improvements.  All in all Id rather use .54 as it now than .53. 

• Like 1

Good days work for a Sunday Dev's.  This build runs pretty good.  A couple issues...last build it seemed my gear was rattling behind me much like the phantom footsteps in .53 that were removed.  Now I'm hearing the footsteps again in this build and I don't like it.  I'm forever turning around expecting someone to be there.  Having some game freeze issues and CTD's.  Loot distribution is better than the last build.  Glad to see the fire kit improvements.  All in all Id rather use .54 as it now than .53. 

I believe your gear (gun) rattling behind you isn't a bug. 

• Like 1

After playing for a while now, I must say, it does feel like a much smoother experience.

I would like to redact this statement. It turns out it was a false positive due to lack of server traffic.

I think there's a mem leak in this build.

i don't know anything about coding but i'm having crash-to-desktops issues more or less for the first time in my SA time.

at least 5 times in the first 2 hours. 3 times this popped up:

BkC3Uri.png

don't know if relevant or not...thought i might aswell post it. :|

Holy shit Batman.  I dunno what you guys did but it was GREAT!!!!   Performance is so much better, driving is glitch free and much much smoother and so much more responsive.  I started out between Electro and Cherno, made my way to the prison and up to NWAF with the usual stops.  Did NOT find a crash site anywhere, but I have not hit all the spots yet.  Found a military tent, stashed my ruck in some trees and went to set it up, after that I stashed some stuff in the tent and went and found a cargo V3S.  AWESOME!!!!  Drove back and retrieved my ruck, then made a loop around the airfield, into Vybor and back up to my tent to stash the truck and go get a fuel can I saw that was 96% full.  So much freaking fun.  That is, until I glitched through that catwalk and died just as I reached the fuel can.  Ugh, argh.  So long Silenced MP5, Farewell Silenced CR 75, auf Wiedersehen Hunters Ruck, Adieu plate carrier.  Oh well, At least my AK101 is in the tent along with two magazines...

• Like 3

I keep getting an odd random crash.. playing fine, then boom! I hear this beep in my headset, the game crashes to desktop and gives an error window that disappears too quickly to read. Steam stays up and I can start up dayz again no issues and my player is always right in the exact spot I was when it crashed. Happened about 3 times over 2-3 hours of play tops.

In case anyone else is seeing similar things. :)

Edited by lrish

F.Y.I.

Maybe it's just me, but ...

I was tinkering with my config and launch parameters. I launched the game and all I got was a light blue pulsing screen and ambient noises. I had no menu, whatsoever. I went back over my work and I could find no errors. I validated the local files and everything checked out. I renamed my config files and allowed the game to generate new, default config files. Still, I had no menu when I launched the game.

Then I remembered a recent tweet from Eugen and added -oldui to my launch parameters. This did the trick. It's the old menu system, but at least I now have a menu.

I hope this saves someone some time and aggravation.

UPDATE:

Adding the -oldui switch gave me the old style menu and I was able to launch the game. However, I had no character preview on the front page of the menu, nor could I configure a default character in the menu. When I joined a server, my character had been deleted and I was a fresh spawn on the beach. See this link for screenshots of what my UI looked like:

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/174863-character-screen-gone-when-i-log-in/?hl=%20can#39;t%20%20set%20%20default%20%20character

So, it appears that the -skipintro launch parameter interferes with the launching of the new UI. Do yourself a favor and delete this switch from your launch config, before your character gets deleted.

Cheers!

Does the new loot spawn thing mean it will be rare again instead of being able to find 5 tins of food in 5 mins ?

My first time on 0.54:

When I first loaded this version I had a blue screen and no menu too, I removed al my extra launch options like -nopause -nosplash etc (I had copied all the launch options straight from ARMA) and it loaded the new menu fine.

However I couldn't connect to any exp servers, after reading peoples different methods the one I had success with was viewing the server details and connecting from there, had a good hour on just now fairly kitted up with 5 guns and ammo for 4 of them, no massive loot explosions, i think i just got lucky and was on a low pop server. I would say loot is about as common as before atm.

Tried out the new compass (damaged and worn) both pointed north - they genuinly did! Makes sense to have a silva type comass, they would be far more common than the old brass things - both were still spawning which I like.

I finally got it to work by using the "Remote" connect trick. Worked in first try for some reason.

I noticed that they have added a weight system to the inventory. I found a Colt 1911, a handful of .45 bullets and a pistol silencers all at various places in one of the Cherno highrises suburbs. A military zombie aggroed and I was just about to test out my awesome zombie killer combination when the game crashed, last image was of the military zombie flying through the air towards me. I am a bit worried what I will find when I reconnect again. 30 secs is a lot of time for a military zombie to do some damage.

Has anyone tried to make an improvised silencer (duct tape, water bottle) yet? 

yeah i tried and works perfect in mosin,also sks. There is just a normal problem, if you don´t have scope, improsived silencer uses part of the rifle normal sight. After aprox 6 shoots becames ruined, but is plastic and normal i think.

UPDATE:

Adding the -oldui switch gave me the old style menu and I was able to launch the game. However, I had no character preview on the front page of the menu, nor could I configure a default character in the menu. When I joined a server, my character had been deleted and I was a fresh spawn on the beach. See this link for screenshots of what my UI looked like:

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/174863-character-screen-gone-when-i-log-in/?hl=%20can#39;t%20%20set%20%20default%20%20character

So, it appears that the -skipintro launch parameter interferes with the launching of the new UI. Do yourself a favor and delete this switch from your launch config, before your character gets deleted.

Cheers!

I've had the same problem of spawning as  a fresh spawn on a server I hadn't visited before. If you join any of the northeast/southwest experimental servers you should have your character back.