Hicks_206 (DayZ)

Rolling Update Rev - 0.43.116251

Apart from occasional crashes and night-time just looking bizarre (like low-bit depth or something), I think experimental plays better than normal.

Do not listen to the under educated individuals, I love the work the dev team is doing and personally  believe that Dean Hall should go kick John Smedley in the nuts!!

Well thanks to Mr Smedley for pulling some casuals and KOS-player.

PLEASE MAKE ZOMBIES HARDER AND HARDER

This is the part I love about this game. All the whiners gather to talk about the bad, bad, nasty zombies. You know what? Make them faster and stronger. Even after the last update I am simply not giving a single F. about the zombies. I walk around them, searching for loot inside the houses, they are trying to hit but they CAN'T if you MOVE. 

First of all, I'm really getting annoyed by some people in here complaining about "whiners", "noobs", "little kiddies crying for their mommies"....maybe you are the ultimate rock star in Chernarus, maybe not. Irrelevant. I consider such elitist bs talk nothing but presumed entitlement. It certainly is not constructive and can sadly be found way too often here.

What you say about how to take care of them is right though. I prefer to take them down, not just keep moving. The problem currently is that they are not hard enough while being to hard at the same time. Dancing around them will keep you from being hit, but it is absolutely boring to dance around zed after zed and hit them again and again until they fall. Especially when you don't have an axe. Fighting zeds becomes a chore instead of a challenge. Then there is the other side. One zed actually hit me yesterday once and whoops, my raincoat including almost everything in it was ruined.

My subjective feeling is that currently fists are better than anything but axes against zeds. So there is a balancing issue there. One could make them harder (I think they should be seeing them with all there current attributes) with enlarging their "field of successful" attack again, but I think that one should be able to evade them with skill. A normal attack of a zed also does not inflict enough damage - well unless your gear is all of sudden ruined or you are onehitted and dead although you had full blood and health. Bleeding makes them more bothersome, but there is a limit on just how often the should make you bleed like being shot with bullets. Especially as being shot does not even make you bleed all the time.

It feels like zed pathfinding is done on the server. They started to run through doors and up stairs without new client versions if I remember correctly. I presume they are always a step behind the player due to syncing and running circles get's you to safety. They really need to be more responsive to player actions. I don't really know how responsive they can get without their actions being deployed to the client for short amounts of time. The server could analyse the situation and give the zed a target for a few seconds and then check and give new instructions. But that might be hard to implement and might open possibilities for cheaters due to client modification. And for other players involved the zeds would lag even more, because their movement has to be synced from client to server to client.... .I don't know if it is possible or planned. Then there is no blocking. Melee is like a Rocky movie with the fighters hitting each other until one finally drops. And the char is also not very responsive in things like fast sidestepping, jumping,... .

With all the above how will it be possible to create a zed melee fight without either really enlarging their "field of attack" for hits or the players finally creating a strategy (currently running circles) that will practically eliminate them as a threat. I think the solution will have to be either deploying them to clients for short amounts of time or keeping individual zeds easy and going for bigger groups of them. But at the same time you can't just send 10 zeds after every newspawn as soon as they enter a town for balancing reasons. Creating bots for some shooter is certainly easier with bots shooting and not really having to attack in melee.

For me this is the biggest challenge the devs will have to deal with. Creating zeds that cannot be killed through simple things like running circles. Zeds where you actually have a real skill curve in melee. Zeds that can be bested without the best melee weapon while fighting them does not become a chore but stays a thrill for equipped and skilled players.

Simply putting extremely big groups of them together is the other way, but then how will it be possible for fresh spawns to loot a town? If it is possible for fresh spawns, we will be reduced to the point where zeds will only be a chore for equipped players. A small chance of zed lucky punches that kill you no matter your blood and health is more frustrating than useful as far as I am concerned.

I currently have the feeling that very often a second zed starts running towards you as soon as the first one is hit by me. While not really being big group of zeds, I don't know if I like that. Maybe it is ok and I only think it is wonky because the aggro radius of melee sounds is not quite balanced yet. Or it is just my imagination. But it was really often exactly one other zed coming.

Questions:

- Does anyone know if zeds are still a complete place holder and will be substituted with something completely new? Or are they the basis of future zeds now? If they are still place holders, the whole discussion may be moot.

-Will they be dispatched to clients when locked on a target or will the stay completely server side (assuming everything is done on the server side now)?

I don't know the answers, but I think they will influence the future zeds tremendously.

I simply ignore things like zed running through walls or them being able to bash down doors at this point, because I think that will be done in due time. There was some talk about being able to barricade at some point, so I guess there will be the possibility to destroy the barricades, too. That will probably include doors... . I might remember something wrong though.

And this post is way too long once again.

Edited by bautschi

But there strong, fast, fairly large in numbers, they always make you bleed, and ruin your stuff, and they have the best eyesight/smell/hearing in the universe.

THERE IS NO BALANCE

Agree. Melee weapons aren´t balanced at all yet. One handed ones never made any damage wether if it ´s the can opener or the machete. In current state I prefer my fists because it ´s easier to punch the head and keep them knocked down so they can´t hit me. With the last patch they started balancing. I guess the process will take a while probably till final release.

Ok, For those making bows, what sticks are you using? Only sticks I find in game are the ones for making splints. Never seen the "Ash stick" or whatever it is called.

Just threw my lantern lol   nice, gonna practice more throwing when daylight comes :)

They `re called Ashwood stick. Just played on hardcore and found tons of it in this sheds nearly in everyone from Solnichy to Dolina. But  bows aren`t useable in the current state anyway.

Well its not that hard to do, games like minecraft and project zomboid did ot without a hitch.

Neither of them has this huge, realistic 3D-Environment. That s one thing that makes Dayz such an extraordinary expirience. Project Zomboid chosed its isometric graphic on purpose to be able to implement new features very fast.

Edited by Wilberfoss
  • Like 1

why do you create a reddit post here on the forums?!?!?

I can only guess that the question concerns the posts lenght. Well, it is long. But I also spent quite some time, energy and thinking when writing it. I even shortened it quite some bit, soooo....

If it is not about the length, what does qualify as a reddit post compared to the desireable post here? I don't do reddit besides reading about some dayz stuff, so I don't really know...

Edited by bautschi
  • Like 2

Friend found a crossbow on exp. One of the 1st ???

awesome first post. congrats and welcome!

zeds...

there should be a small chance that they can knock player down ( was shown in early devblogs), disarm the player, grab player, grab players backback. infect player, beat player unconscious ( for a few seconds) and of course make player bleed..I also miss the panic feature from the mod 

their visual senses should be very bad ( shortsighted, small field of view ) but they should react to any kind of noise or rapid movements , would be  cool if they could smell blood

I would prefer them mainly slow, inactive but in great numbers and hard to kill ( only head shots should be instant kills)...to spice things up there should be also roaming  walkers and even a few very fast f.ckers

soldier zeds (or swat zeds) should be more protected by their helmets and body armor

a lot of shooting should spawn more zeds in the area

just a few thoughts

• Like 2

Well first vehicles are anounced for the third quarter of the year. A working mod is a more realistic guess than a car in current patch.

I have found 3 items I haven't seen before.... crossbows, I found them in houses with pianos (EDIT: and some long barns), red tracksuit pants that has 2 inv spaces, and zucchini

Edited by just4me

The cars are in the files still from arma 2 a modder has put them in, these are not ingame and are against the rules

• Like 1

Was pickaxe already in game or is it new? Also dig the new pants :D

leuJTZW.jpg

SUz7z24.jpg

• Like 2

Was pickaxe already in game or is it new? Also dig the new pants :D

leuJTZW.jpg

SUz7z24.jpg

mining pl0x

Edited by Hopix

I have found 3 items I haven't seen before.... crossbows, I found them in houses with pianos (EDIT: and some long barns), red tracksuit pants that has 2 inv spaces, and zucchini

Found the ammo. Wanna team up? ;)

http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/3278927975595659661/0853061EBD684374B2E141E450B8815952B8A265/

http://cloud-3.steampowered.com/ugc/3278927975595663258/A0E2D40B724EB976D3595ACC7CF28DE997DB304A/

why do you create a reddit post here on the forums?!?!?

Because that wasn't a reddit post. That was a forum post... that's what a forum is for.

Thanks for posting here Bautschi...

Because that wasn't a reddit post. That was a forum post... that's what a forum is for.

Thanks for posting here Bautschi...

you've maybe heard of something called sarcasm ??

I have found quiver with some bolts the binocs zuccini pick axe the track pants i am happy with the progress i am seeing 

yeah i found a pickaxe and a scythe (pretty sure they took them out? but they are back in now?)

Also, I spawned on top of a hill where i think Klen is. It's northwest of Khelm if you look at the map. Ran to Black Mountain in about 5 minutes. I'm not sure if that spawn was there before, but it was nice to spawn somewhere other than the coast. Was out in the middle of nowhere :) Was a little easier getting inland to get loot. 

Can't wait to check out binocs.