boneboys

DayZ PS4 Discussion

Can't wait for people to buy DayZ for nearly $70 to start it up and get told it's an alpha and they are not allowed to complain about the quality.

Well, Sony are the masters of microtransactions.. so i don't need a crystal ball not know where this is going. 

Well, Sony are the masters of microtransactions.. so i don't need a crystal ball not know where this is going. 

Think if all the delicious money!

CCP just announced that the moving Dust 514 to the PC with Project Legion after years of disappointment, and they already said that they want NOTHING to do with Sony and the PS4 .. and now BI is going to walk the same road ? Do you guys learn anything from each other ?

BI walked that road years and years ago.

qpkYoeK.jpg

• Like 1

Not interested in console gaming in the least.  Hoping this doesn't negatively impact the pc version.

• Like 1

The Game is still in Alpha and is nowhere ready to be ported to the PS4..... So I think everyone should take a deep breath and just step back, I can't see it happening in my life time

• Like 2

Is anyone else seriously concerned/sad that a console port has already been announced?

To clarify.

I'm not concerned because "hurr durr PC gaming master race why give game to console plebs". While it's true that the plebians do not deserve a truly enriching gaming experience such as Dayz (let's be honest, they can't truly appreciate it, that's why they're plebs), I have to question why a game that is barely functional is being ported to console. The only answer I can suss up is one of purely commercial interest. 

Looking at the current state of the game:

Desync is still a major issue that completely breaks the experience. Example, you're holed up inside a house with a shotgun having been chased by an unfriendly player with a rifle. You can hear him searching nearby houses. The footsteps get closer and closer. You hear the downstairs door creak open. You ready your shotgun. Suddenly... he lags into the room, you both empty three magazines and after a 10 second delay one or both of you falls over dead. I think we can all relate to this situation.

"End-game" is really, truly boring in comparison to the mod. In Dayz Mod, once you had a functional kit and a weapon you had some serious choices regarding what you wanted to do. You could try to find and repair a car. You could hunt for wilderness camps to steal someone elses car. You could set up a tent and fill it with guns. You could set up a tent and fill it with fried chicken. You could do what I did, fix a helicopter, fill THAT with friend chicken, land safely in Cherno, and shoot out the rotor. At one point, myself and some friends had hoarded over forty vehicles and three helicopters on a private hive, prompting hilarious posts on the hive's forums. Point being, there was always something to do where you felt like you were accomplishing something or could hoard things for future survival. Dayz SA lacks any meaningful things to do, in that you can find a gun within 10 minutes of spawning and outside of perfecting every aspect of your kit and trolling kids on the shore there is nothing fun to do.

Everything is broken in it's own little way. Mod had it's quirks (ATV physics, I'm looking at you!), but they were far enough between that it didn't break the immersion until you had sunk 500 hours into the game and knew how to read every little detail. In SA, I feel like EVERYTHING I do is broken in some way. Hundreds of little bugs, like the phantom reloading/soda noise or the fact that noises in general are out of proportion and come from incorrect directions constantly. Despite every patch having notes about animation fixes, a shitload of animations are still broken. Weapons in general have hilarious spreads, like the M4 that occasionally shoots bullets at a 90 degree angle. All of this serves to break the intense immersion that the mod had perfected. Ultimately, that is likely the only reason the mod even succeeded in the first place and it's still the biggest thing missing from SA.

There's also the fact that the game is one of the most poorly optimized titles on PC. Ever. My FPS tanks whenever I enter a city, and even in the country it has the occasional dip. I'm running a 4770k @ 4.8GHZ, Asus Maximus Extreme 6 board, 16gb Corsair Vengeance @ 1866, 780ti Kingpin with a hearty overclock, Lepa 1600W PSU, and Dayz is loaded on a 1/4 full Samsung EVO SSD. And I get dips, massive tanks in city environments. This is regardless of any settings I adjust, because the game is fundamentally horribly optimized. This begs the question; How in the god damn fuck is this going to run on a console? If Bohemia can't optimize their game for PC, where the engine has resided since the first Arma game, how can we expect them to suddenly make it playable on a console that has worse specs than even a low-mid range PC?

This isn't a rant that the game isn't finished. I get that, it's alpha and I expect issues. I'm very excited for persistent storage and eventually vehicles, because those two things combined will add back a lot of what SA is missing over the mod.

But here's the tl;dr...

Why are you taking a game that is still fundamentally less than half complete and wasting time and resources porting it to consoles?

• Like 5

When was this announced?

EDIT: Ninja'd. I'm both nervous and excited by this. Sony backing means more resources, but a 14 button controller would severely limit the functionality of the game.

Just so long as there is no cross-breeding in the same hives.

Edited by Merrick362
  • Like 1

The lack of controls would drive me crazy....

It'll be interesting to see how that manage to hurdle those problems.

The lack of controls would drive me crazy....

It'll be interesting to see how that manage to hurdle those problems.

i already play it with a controller anyways and can do everything i could do with a keyboard, so it shouldn't be very difficult.

Dean the bean himself said that they would think about console release AFTER they have completed PC version. I dont know how it will work with controller. Because of that they need to recreate inventory system all over again. Shooting in DayZ is already hard on PC so I can imagine it being even worse on console, though I think that they will put auto-aim in to it. Either way it will be a shitshow. And lets face it, DayZ is not casual enough to play with console. I think DayZ will flop on console and Sony bought Dean in to it just for commercial value. The best part is that the little team that is developing DayZ is now even more busy. SONY MONEYYY...

I got no issue putting a bullet in the plebs if there is cross-platform play, as long as experience doesn't suffer.

IMO it shouldn't be a bad thing.  It does inject more resources if Sony's propping up cash to put the DayZ into it's repertoire of games, but this may be offset by the costs involved in developing laterally for PS4.

Another issue brought up in the FAQ above, is that it should cement performance targets and deadlines, though this is most likely in response to the PS4 version, and is guaranteed to affect PS4 but probable to affect PC development:

IF they're telling the truth, and DayZ is being developed on PC then ported to console, then these performance deadlines will be consistant and co-linear with the PC development (as PC development will come first, and then port steps made).

IF PC ends up coming after PS4/console versions, then there is no impetus for the console deadlines/targets to have effect on PC, and the timelines won't be co-linear.

It's still too early to tell at this stage, but there are no immediate worries that I see from this move.  The most glaring issues that I anticipate are functionality changes/compromises for resource efficiency.  EG: inventory system will likely need an overhaul (for console) to be useful.  Could you imagine dragging and dropping 7.62 into your sks with console?  While DayZ is in Alpha, and there is still a lot of change we can (may) expect to the UI and functions/systems etc... some changes may polarise current PC users, particularly if they appear 'consoley' or appear to be functions conserved across platforms.  That said, again, you bought early access ALPHA... and all that goes with it.

again IMIO from a business perspective, if the changes/recyclign of functions is not hampered by FUNCTIONALITY, ie: they work smoothly on both platforms, then PS4 fan/cas users won't care, XBone hardcores/fanboys may care but are unlikely to boycott for PC, and PC users won't give a rats.  The group that stands to be most alienated by changes that are functional and smooth (hypothetically) are the Pre-release Alpha purchasers (you unwashed masses).  Of course, if mechanics are changed for console or future developments emerge cross-functionally and DONT work or appear overly 'consoley' for PC, then that's an obvious issue.

Interestingly, in FAQ, rocket does mention the hypothetical situation where a company may acquire DayZ/BI... what would be the chances of this happening I wonder, because from a marketing perspective I don't see why you'd bring something like that up to justify your point that PC will come first (but if by chance we were to be absorbed and PC got set back and it wasn't my fault ... ... ..).  Seemed like a weird thing to say, and that's the only thing that pricked my lids.

Edited by q.S Sachiel

First off, a PORT wouldn't happen until the game is ready and Alpha is over.  So there is no issue to freak out over here.  

Second, with STEAM launching their own STEAM machines including their own game pad controller, they are looking at getting into the living room market and competing with consoles.  They will be pushing for game pad controller support on STEAM games in the future and may even make it a requirement.  It would behoove any publisher to integrate and support both control schemes in their games from the beginning and open themselves up to new markets.  They are in this to make money, not stroke your ego or fuel the petty Console Vs. PC war.  Just because you can't wrap your head around how they would accomplish this doesn't mean its not possible.  

I play games across multiple platforms.  One shining example from just the last year is Diablo III.  I played it on PC from launch and it had major issues, not just in the controls either.  Later a console version came out.  Guess what...the controls on console were WAY better than the PC version. That as well as gameplay mechanics changes and balancing made a mediocre unrewarding PC game into an awesome console game. So good in fact I uninstalled it on my PC.  (PC version has finally caught up but I gave up on caring.)  

It can be done, and it can be done well.   

• Like 2

I got no issue putting a bullet in the plebs if there is cross-platform play, as long as experience doesn't suffer.

IMO it shouldn't be a bad thing. It does inject more resources if Sony's propping up cash to put the DayZ into it's repertoire of games, but this may be offset by the costs involved in developing laterally for PS4.

Another issue brought up in the FAQ above, is that it should cement performance targets and deadlines, though this is most likely in response to the PS4 version.

IF they're telling the truth, and DayZ is being developed on PC then ported to console, then these performance deadlines will be consistant and co-linear with the PC development (as PC development will come first, and then port steps made).

IF PC ends up coming after PS4/console versions, then there is no impetus for the console deadlines/targets to have effect on PC, and the timelines won't be co-linear.

It's still too early to tell at this stage, but there are no immediate worries that I see from this move.

Interestingly, in FAQ, rocket does mention the hypothetical situation where a company may acquire DayZ/BI... what would be the chances of this happening I wonder, because from a marketing perspective I don't see why you'd bring something like that up to justify your point that PC will come first (but if by chance we were to be absorbed and PC got set back and it wasn't my fault ... ... ..). Seemed like a weird thing to say, and that's the only thing that pricked my lids.

I would enjoy cross-platform play with peasants since it is near impossible to shoot accurately with controller. But if they have auto-aim, it would ruin the game.

quick quesiton- weren't the 64 bit servers announced before this announcement?

They were, what's your point?

He snuck in "3 years" tho....

lmfao.

so it will be out in 2020.

the ps6 will be out by then,

Your math appears to be  a bit off. <_<

• Like 2

I would enjoy cross-platform play with peasants since it is near impossible to shoot accurately with controller. But if they have auto-aim, it would ruin the game.

I'm always at odds with these statements, mostly for two memories I have; one being CSS where I basically had a hacker reputation despite not hacking; for instant-twitch reflexes of netting headshot after headshot of entire teams on my own with the Deagle and Scout; shift over to when I first started into the Halo series and well frankly died over.. and over.. and over again for shitty aim: yet later, once Xbox became my primary means of gaming I was twitch shooting with again insane accuracy; of course I've long since gotten rid of consoles and delve only in PC gaming again; but have an Xbox controller I again am terrible at using..

-- yet the point being it's possible to master the use and sensitivity of a controller to match the use of a mouse. Of course it always had the tradeoff, lowering the sensitivity of the controller led to great control of on screen accuracy but the issue followed of not being able to do complete instant turns to hit people behind you nearly as fast; but as far as general accuracy of targets in front of, and just off screen of you, the response time and accuracy can be identical.

Particularly, I think the trade-off issue in a game like DayZ where targets are not moving at any sort of fast pace would actually be one of the few games out there that a cross-platform play wouldn't actually be extremely unfair for anyone.

lol auto aim...

i just assumed they mash the sticks with their palms an scream DIE DIE DIE until there's either corpses or empty shells everywhere.

They'll need to take fairness and easy of competition into account when the hammer falls...

My room mate bought CS.GO on mac and he plays with a trackpad.  Being PC master race I scoffed at every part of that sentence, but i'm always up for a challenge.

People are saying how are they going to do all this with only (x) buttons and I get that at the moment there's not too much problem with binding a button to press, Dtap or Hold or modifier buttons / combinations for tasks, and what i'd anticipate to be more context specific commands (ie: can only vault when running), but it will be interesting to see where they go with this. 

Taking arma 3 as a benchmark, there's like 15 stances you can have alone, then lean which brings you to 20something... I'd expect functionality like this to be culled or streamlined, and i don't anticipate some of the more finesse mechanics to be incorporated but who knows, maybe they'll even add VR or motion sensor support? (does Xbone/p4 have motion still or was that 'so last gen')?

Edited by q.S Sachiel

Why are you taking a game that is still fundamentally less than half complete and wasting time and resources porting it to consoles?

because there is no game yet OP.Also, capitalism...

Edited by {Core}BlackLabel

My room mate bought CS.GO on mac and he plays with a trackpad.  Being PC master race I scoffed at every part of that sentence, but i'm always up for a challenge.

I know the feeling, my fiance sitting beside me using none other than a Logitek trackball .. I still can't comprehend how she uses it and aims so well. But she does, yet even she on a laptop looks at the trackpad and goes 'just no' and can't use it aside from being lazy to navigate websites.

Gaming on trackpads, trackball, mouse, joystick, controller.. it's all possible, and once you get used to whichever means, works just as well in most every instance as the 'other' form. Each just have a steeper learning curve in some cases.... trackpad and trackball still boggles my mind though, despite knowing it works.

He snuck in "3 years" tho....

lmfao.

so it will be out in 2020.

the ps6 will be out by then,

He simply said that DayZ had come from nothing to being announced for PS4 in under 3 years.

Not  "the PS4 version will be out in under 3 years".

They haven't given any indication of when they expect the version for other platforms to be out,

Edited by Fluxley

i already play it with a controller anyways and can do everything i could do with a keyboard, so it shouldn't be very difficult.

I also use a controller... but also lots of buttons in the keyboard and the mouse. If this game goes to Console a big part of the game functionality will be lost. Just look at the games that are the other way around, ported from console to PC.. like State Of Decay for example. 

To be fair, I remember consoles being talked about a while ago by Rocket... Not a huge amount of concern then.

Now it's actually been officially announced everyone goes apeshit.

• Like 4

To be fair, I remember consoles being talked about a while ago by Rocket... Not a huge amount of concern then.

Now it's actually been officially announced everyone goes apeshit.

Yeah it was damn near the release  they spoke of possibly going a console they even said the PS4( then as in now they stated the PC version was there main focus first).

Hey if they can get it to work more power to them plus it could actually benefit the pc players i mean they will have to optimize the crap out of it to get it to run on a PS4 so any of that filtering to the pc does equal win win.

PS please no console fanboii's tell me a PS4 is as powerfull as a gaming rig just dont go there ok lol you only need to look at the watch dogs debacle where they actually dumbed down the graphics for the pc so it didnt look any better than the console version untill we unlocked the visual effects files that is....