boneboys

DayZ PS4 Discussion

I have issues with this statement from Dean today:

Console versions have allowed us to factor in a new renderer, ie DX11, any many other things not part of PC scope. Console versions come AFTER PC in priority but PC gets the benefits of things needed. As far as I am concerned, it's a win win

Source:http://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/2dcocu/dean_is_talking_live_at_gamescom_speaking_for/cjo8mrm

So let me get this straight, DX11 wasn't even on the table of considerations until a console port came into fruition? ORLY? Because up until today we were all told that DX11 was a priority to fix some of the PC performance issues and enhance the overall look of the game and lighting. Yet now all the sudden none of that was going to be possible until a console port was finalized and funded? We've all known Dean to toss around the idea of a console port eventually coming, so this isn't news to me. What is news though is that the "enhancements" we've been getting (64 bit servers, network bubble, new renderer, etc) had more to do with the PS4 console future than they planned for the "scope" of the PC project. So BI was just going to release it with 15-20 FPS in cities, no 64 bit servers, no DX11 until the PS4 came to magically save the day behind the scenes? I think not! Something stinks in Chernarus and it's not the rotting corpses. I've been a huge supporter of this game but after reading that statement from Dean I'm starting to question just what or who is driving this ship...

Edited by haknslash
  • Like 2

There is some light at the end of the tunnel however.

Regardless if or not they dumb down, streamline or gimp dayz from what they were originally going to do.

We will always have the wonderful mod community to pick up the slack and fix problems.

• Like 1

Because up until today we were all told that DX11 was a priority to fix some of the performance issues and enchance the overall look of the game and lighting. Yet now all the sudden none of that was going to be possible until a concole port was finalized and funded? 

Just because you were told today, it doesn't mean that it was also decided today.

Just because you were told today, it doesn't mean that it was also decided today.

That's not really the point of my post.

Today Dean said the enhancements we are seeing IE DX11, 64bit servers, etc weren't going to happen until demand was there IE preparing for PS4. This contradicts everything we've been told up to today. Previously Dean said these things were being implmented as a necessity to improve game performance and/or graphics. That is the point I was trying to make.

Was this just Dean speaking to the console fans in a marketing sense making it seem like all these new features were being added just so DayZ could be possible on PS4, to appease the console masses so to speak? Or were we being lied to all along and the possibility of DayZ never receiving those upgrades was likely? Regardless, one of his statements contradicts with the other and that doesn't really sit well with me personally.

Edited by haknslash

That's not really the point of my post.

Today Dean said the enhancements we are seeing IE DX11, 64bit servers weren't going to happen until demand was there IE preparing for PS4. This contradicts everything we've been told up to today. Previously Dean said these things were being implmented as a necessecity to improve game performance and/or graphics. That is the point I was trying to make.

Rocket has pretty much just answered this on reddit

DayZ coming to PlayStation 4 by FWCRedditin Games

[–]rocket2guns [score hidden]

48 minutes ago

DX11 was never part of the scope, it requires amassive investment and replacement of the engine. Adding other platforms (no just consoles!! Ie Linux) allows scope to be increased. This means we can dev features for one platform it ALL can share.

Let me be very clear here too. No money changed hands. This is about extending th scope of th project so more people can play, and those already playing get the benefits of an extended scope

http://www.reddit.com/user/rocket2guns

Edited by Fluxley

Rocket has pretty much just answered this on reddit

http://www.reddit.com/user/rocket2guns

Well I guess it's good to know that we were going to be stuck with 20 FPS in cities until big blue came along....

I can now go home and thank my PS4 that sits there and collects dust, so at least I don't feel so bad now for spending $400 on it at launch. To thank it for allowing us the possibility to use a renderer that is already in ArmA 3 (which released near SA timeframe). The same renderer that shipped in 2009 with Windows Vista...

Thank you Sony and PS4 for making this a possibility. /Sarcasm

Basically what that tells me is they never had any intentions to add anything to help with performance. Were they just going to cram in a ton of content and let us piss and moan about it running like a dog until we were blue in the face? What is the point again of early access? Isn't it supposed to help with development and all that the EA model is hyped on? I'm sorry but him basically adding in these "features"  wasn't in their scope just rubs me raw. When you're game runs like ass, these improvements aren't really "features" as opposed to needing them in order for this game to run like it should in the year 2014. Saying optimization (in so many words) wasn't in your project's scope is just nonsense.

Edited by haknslash

So whats all this hooblah with dean announcing dayz for the ps4?

someone link a video of those words coming out of his lips?

Well I guess it's good to know that we were going to be stuck with 20 FPS in cities until big blue came along....

I can now go home and thank my PS4 that sits there and collects dust, so at least I don't feel so bad now for spending $400 on it at launch. To thank it for allowing us the possibility to use a renderer that is already in ArmA 3 (which released near SA timeframe). The same renderer that shipped in 2009 with Windows Vista...

Thank you Sony and PS4 for making this a possibility. /Sarcasm

Basically what that tells me is they never had any intentions to add anything to help with performance. Were they just going to cram in a ton of content and let us piss and moan about it running like a dog until we were blue in the face? What is the point again of early access? Isn't it supposed to help with development and all that the EA model is hyped on? I'm sorry but him basically adding in these "features"  wasn't in their scope just rubs me raw. When you're game runs like ass, these improvements aren't really "features" as opposed to needing them in order for this game to run like it should in the year 2014. Saying optimization (in so many words) wasn't in your project's scope is just nonsense.

DX11 and Optimisaton are not the same thing

DX11 and Optimisaton are not the same thing

I never said it was. You're taking one slice of my post and generalizing it as = optimization. Dean mentioned several other "features" that do indeed have to do with optimization (64 bit servers, network bubble, etc) that were part of the PS4 Gamescom speech. The renderer was just one of the features he mentioned wasn't ever part of the PC scope. To me that is kind of shocking considering just how bad or inconsistant DayZ runs, even on my PC specs. To say it was never part of the scope is just asinine IMHO. Just what was their scope? To release SA and add content until we brought every server to a hault and had 1 FPS in Novo?

Edited by haknslash

I guess my only question is, what does "pc has priority" mean?

If it means pc finished product first, then they look at moving it to ps4, then great.

If it means dinverting any resources at all at this point to even fathoming the ps4 version, then terrible.

I love DAYZ no seriously I do, but at the moment my enjoyment comes from the mod, does this mean production values have changed for the SA, and are we about to be able to play a more complete game?     

Inb4 #peasants

In all seriousness I think this is exciting, will force them to multi thread the engine. 
those APU's are weak on single core performance. 

Edited by Bakermensch

So, we will get a free PS4 for helping with the development of this game in the PC ? Or we just helping with the development so Console kiddies can enjoy the full game ?

• Like 4

Personally, i am between worlds here. I put so much trust and hope into dayz before it was released and as of yet i still have nothing to show for it. The game barely works at all, and performance has not improved at all since release. Then they come in with the news that they're gonna make it for ps4 (and most likely xbone too). I don't really know what to think. I feel like a sap for buying it. I feel like we've paid for the console versions to be made. With current progress as painstakingly slow as it is, how on earth could the team currently working on dayZ possibly make another two iterations of the game? Are they gonna take on more staff? Would these new staff be funded with our money?

Edited by elf cakes
  • Like 4

If it doesn't affect the PC version in the slightest and isn't made more casual and ACTUALY FINISHED then i guess its not that bad, but then again anything that consoles touch get dumbed down.

• Like 1

Topics merged guys, please give us a chance to set things up.

Thanks.

• Like 1

Personally, i am between worlds here. I put so much trust and hope into dayz before it was released and as of yet i still have nothing to show for it. The game barely works at all, and performance has not improved at all since release. Then they come in with the news that they're gonna make it for ps4 (and most likely xbone too). I don't really know what to think. I feel like a sap for buying it. I feel like we've paid for the console versions to be made. With current progress as painstakingly slow as it is, how on earth could the team currently working on dayZ possibly make another two iterations of the game? Are they gonna take on more staff? Would these new staff be funded with our money?

Discuss.

You know its not like the ps3/xbox 360 days where they needed to port the software over to a completely different architecture, the XBone and the ps4 are basically computers themselves. Cant see it even being a big deal really.

So, we will get a free PS4 for helping with the development of this game in the PC ? Or we just helping with the development so Console kiddies can enjoy the full game ?

What is a console kiddie? Serious Question

• Like 1

Let me guess...isn't more cash to be made in Steam with the Early access, and now you going to sell yourself to Sony for more cash?

This isn't going to end well.... :wacko:

Discuss.

Never put all your eggs into one basket brother. People getting all butthurt about their beloved Dayz being moved onto console, from my Ps3 experience, I met many more friendlies on Red Dead redemption than I ever met on Dayz on my PC.

• Like 2

CCP just announced that the moving Dust 514 to the PC with Project Legion after years of disappointment, and they already said that they want NOTHING to do with Sony and the PS4 .. and now BI is going to walk the same road ? Do you guys learn anything from each other ?

I never said it was. You're taking one slice of my post and generalizing it as = optimization. Dean mentioned several other "features" that do indeed have to do with optimization (64 bit servers, network bubble, etc) that were part of the PS4 Gamescom speech. The renderer was just one of the features he mentioned wasn't ever part of the PC scope. To me that is kind of shocking considering just how bad or inconsistant DayZ runs, even on my PC specs. To say it was never part of the scope is just asinine IMHO. Just what was their scope? To release SA and add content until we brought every server to a hault and had 1 FPS in Novo?

He doesn't mention the network bubble at all, no idea where you got that from, The network bubble was planned and worked on long before release and i've seen nothing to suggest its implementation had anything to do with going multiplatform.

He mentions two features, 64bit servers and the new renderer,

While it is true that both should help improve performance, there would of still been optimisation done even if they were never considered.

More from reddit

[–]rocket2guns 0 points

just now

Day one we considered replacing the renderer. However, that would have delayed e project a tremendous amount, and we did not have anywhere near the resources to do it - nor a reason to fund that let alone the ability.

The huge success of early access enabled the scope to be altered to include cross platform, opening up the need for the renderer to be replaced. This was investigated and we discovered we could do that by usin new sales to pay for that great cost. Its a big risk, but the results will be worth it if we pull it off.

confirmed it.

[–]rocket2guns [score hidden]

41 minutes ago

64bit and new renderer were added because we added additional platforms supported. Ive said this a lot, but because i didnt get on stage nobody really listened, now i got on stage, and i 

i suggest you just go read through Rockets recent posts on reddit,  http://www.reddit.com/user/rocket2guns

• Like 1

I'm only mad because me and my friends play on Xbox One. Now I wish I had a PS4...you know how long I have dreamed of playing DayZ with my console shooter buddies. They don't make a emoticon for jealous do they  > :(

Edited by Ramblin Hans

I'm only mad because me and my friends play on Xbox One. Now I wish I had a PS4...you know how long I have dreamed of playing DayZ with my console shooter buddies. They don't make a emoticon for jealous do they  > :(

PS4 is just the first to be announced, wouldn't be surprised if it comes to the Xbone too.

Can't wait for people to buy DayZ for nearly $70 to start it up and get told it's an alpha and they are not allowed to complain about the quality.

• Like 3