boneboys

DayZ PS4 Discussion

Figured this would be coming.

You guys, they can multiply their profits by probably 5 fold if they go to console. It will probably happen.

Of course, console companies wont deal with the alpha bull shit though, and i think they have pretty high standards so this could guarantee a game in the long term.

Pros: We will actually see a full game (hopefully

They make more money (better game hopefully)

More of a sit down and enjoy game

Cons:

Controls are re mapped, and game is programmed in favor of easier controls

Game gets easier

More people complain (these are the 10 year olds who play Xbox and PS)

Exactly like COD

There is no cross console, so console gamers would get the right away with bugs ect(there is probably like 5X as many)

If the development started now, it would set this whole shit show back even farther.

And the list goes on.

Would I like to see it? No. Is it probably going to happen. Yes.

• Like 4

It seems as though they intend to go about it in the right way. Hopefully.

What should happen is that the PC version is made with no omissions or compromises or anything like that, then this final product is hacked at with a rusty knife if needs be in order to get it to work on the PS4...

What should not happen is that the notion of the game being released on PS4 affects the development in such a way that things that might not necessarily be possible on that platform are omitted for PC.

I'm unsure as to how the heck it would work on a controller too...

Edited by DoctorBadSign

Only way this works out imo.

Is if they go the Operation Flashpoint route.

Release the pc version with Zero I mean Zero console influence no considerations made for the consoles lack of input options.

No dumbing down no gimping as seen with the gun calibers.

Nothing at all on the pc version even remotely done to make the console version easier.

Then when that is released start on the Elite version aka gimped dayz version that works on console.

The dayz with simplified inventory, controls etc that work with a controller and caters to the simpletons that are console gamers.

Good for the console people. Don't see any reason why they shouldn't be able to enjoy DayZ even if it is a somewhat watered down experience from the PC version.

• Like 1

I hope they are prepared for a tremendous shitstorm of biblical scale, cause that's exactly what's going to happen now

I don't give a rat turd either way.  As far as I can guess we're not gonna be able to play with the Console versions anyway, and 'within 3 years'  sound more like 2 and a half years, so it's not happening for a while.  I would like to think that only people with low end PCs that have a Console would buy it because of some idea of better performance on the console, so we won't 'lose' that many players to the console version.  I also see it being similar to Minecraft, the Console versions will lag behind update wise.

All this does is open up the audience a bit more.  That can be good, or it can be annoying.  I can just see all the old 'suggestion' posts coming back for the PS version.

PS4's hardware is likely better than a lot of the people who complain about lag in cities. Because let's be honest, if you lag in cities there is definitely something wrong with your system (not enough RAM, insufficient graphics card, etc). That being said, I'd only play a game like this on PC. You simply cannot play a first person shooter on a console the way you do on a PC. Put a console player head to head with someone who's got keyboard and mouse and the PC player would smoke them every time.

yes these raid 512ssds and 5ghz oc cpus are struggling in cities :rolleyes:

i played today in one town near behrizinio 20 fps :lol: yet i can play crysis 3 which is the most intense game there is at max settings and getting 3 times as much FPS :lol:

Face it the engine is garbage and the way its the project has been done has become a farce. should of just kept on the older arma 2 mod and just sold it for 5-10 quid and worked on content. atleast that was fun and worked.

My opinion: It'll be good for DayZ.

• It'll ensure a level of optimization that BI never reached with Arma 2 or 3. Arma 2 ran like crap and still does, Arma 3 was a little better but still waaaaay too server dependent as far as frames per second go. This means that both Sony and BI are confident that DayZ will eventually be made efficient enough to run on substandard PS4 hardware at lowest settings, most likely.

• It will lead to added gamepad support for recent console converts, (they're more numerous than you'd think this generation, everyone knows and understands why PC is superior at this point.) as well as people who suffer from disabilities that prevent them from using a mouse. Yes, we all know KB/M is better, but for some people that just isn't an option. Gamepads are standard issue for a lot of PC gamers who have moved from the basement to the living room and more options is always a better thing when it comes to input devices.

• Direct X 11 has finally been confirmed, this is nothing but positive and from a consumer standpoint makes me happy that they're going with a modern API and not sticking with the ancient Direct X 9 or trying to stumble through BIs first attempt at rendering a modern game with OpenGL. Though, this probably has some Linux users disappointed.

• Hopefully this leads to a more responsive and aesthetically pleasing user interface that'll look natural on larger displays, a more simplified and cleaned up server browser with better use of filters and some sort of "Join best server" button, higher production values for sound design to take more advantage of home theatre sound, and a bunch of bonus content created between 1.0 PC release and the PS4 release that'll be patched into the PC version ala Terraria.

• Please god... let it mean cross platform play. Not only do I have a lot of friends who went with PS4 this generation, but also having a bunch of controller users on in a game where everyone is trying to kill you for your pants all the time sounds like a breath of fresh air.

• I hope this also means public BI run servers. I'm really sick of there being shameless badmins in every BI game, give me an option to escape such things.
Edited by Hefeweizen

Shame they picked the console that is already hosting dayz clone h1z1, will make it hard to stand out in that market

Am I the only one who thinks that if they can do DayZ for PS4 then we should see big performance increase when the renderer is done?

/Seems like rocket thought the same ;)

Edited by St. Jimmy

As long as they take their time with it. I think it's great that console is getting something besides a twitch shooter.

(Also Halo master race. :P)

Edited by Geckofrog7

As rocket said, "in under three years". Guess he told us when we can expect DayZ to go to beta. I bet this game will never hit console, this is marketing.

Actually, he was saying that it was under three years between the launch of the mod and the announcement of the PS4 version of the standalone.

http://youtu.be/1RxyqxTKVGM?t=2m35s

It would really just be a watered down disappointment, like when Counter Strike was put on consoles. Nothing like the original experience.

Actually, this could be a great thing. Just let us do cross-platform gaming. No separate servers for pisser/xbone/pc. That would be amazing.

Edited by gr8mghtyp00

I'd much prefer it on the PC exclusively. I share the same reasons as mentioned above. They'd have to do some drastic changes to keep the quality matched with consoles' specs such as reducing zombies, loot and so-forth. I honestly just think it's just another way to increase sales with porting into consoles.

This is the place to discuss DayZ on different Gaming Platforms/Consoles.

Play Station 4 is now Official.

https://twitter.com/PlayStation/statuses/499245341943021569">

Trolls and Throwers of Flames beware...

Boney..!!? you can time travel??..

Guess i better put something here on topic, 

If its going to be a straight up port i'll be worried.

If its a case of remaking the game for console after the PC version is complete and pinky promise to not compromise the PC version in any way then its all cool.

Right now though, we just don't know.

• Like 2

Pessimist: A dumbed-down version of DayZ gets developed, with gameplay focusing more on the casual, easy-to-grasp mechanics of your standard console fare. Development is pushed back as developers decide which features to include or to axe, based on publisher feedback. The game feels a lot more "arcade"-ee than the currect ArmA "simulator". Money shop.

Optimist: Bohemia Int now have access to a lot more funding, creating the PC-centric, hardcore-simulator feel that all 1 million people who pre-ordered on Steam were expecting. Because it must eventually reach a mass market, things like sloggy frame rates, sluggish controls, and bug-riddled gameplay are fleshed out, and the whole game feels better for it. It runs smooth, everything is optimized, there are no,- and I mean NO- features left out of the PC version simply because of the difficulty to implement them onto a console.

If there are absolutely NO, and I mean ZERO concessions made to the PC version of this great alpha I have been enjoying so far, and final release isn't pushed back TOO far, then I am 100% ok with this, and I wish BI all the best, and cannot await a final release.

Diablo 3 was revised half way through production to eventually be released on console. Not a good precedent.

• Like 2

It will be for the console gamers, I expect them to enjoy, I don't see any reason to compare.

I've got an Xbox controller but that's as far as it goes for me.

Ill add a counter point.

It is the worst possible thing to happen to dayz.

• Being on a console they have to make considerations for console players thus limiting the game on pc.
  • Being on console they have to restrict the controls to the very limited functions of a controller
  • Being on console now they are diverting resources and money much of which came from pc gamers into a console version.
  • Being on console the game will now be dumbed down to meet the pallete of the average console gamer. IE. Caliber dumbing down and reluctance to add 5.45x39, 9x18 makarov and 7.63x54r

The news of a console port of dayz is not good for anyone but Sony. It will only end up with a Dayz that is only half as pc focused as it could have been.

The game will get dumbed down even further now

Did you even listen to Rocket's speech?  He says they are going to develop the game to its full potential for each platform and doesn't just want to port DayZ over directly.

ah here we go. i knew all of it got merged somewhere when the threads i was posting in vanished under my fingers :D

my take after watching the presentation

:

there was a post earlier suggesting such, and i was quite sceptical of such endeauvor, without knowing about the presentation.

i am surprised now, but if the dev team sees it as a good course of action, im trusting their judgement. none of us can understand the exact implications for the project, the challenges and the possible synergies. I wonder how community-hosted servers will be realized int he PS4 ecosystem, recently even EA had to admit defeat when trying to implement rented servers for console versions of BF4.

i am quite curious how it will work out, positively excited whether this will succeed. thumbs up, Dean & team, i didnt see it coming.

Did you even listen to Rocket's speech?  He says they are going to develop the game to its full potential for each platform and doesn't just want to port DayZ over directly.

I heard him, but I dont necessarily believe him. 

Those are exactly the things I would have expected ANY OTHER COMPANY EXECUTIVE to say. That is standard fair.

To be honest he did NOTHING to assuage my fears that we will get a watered down product. What he said on stage was absolute lip service, corporate speak.

I can hold out hope, however.

edit for grammer

Edited by Ugly