ImpulZ

Experimental Update 1.10 (Changelog)

As of the latest patch most regular loot lasts four hours after spawning or getting dropped on the ground by a player. Weapons last twice that, while tents, base assets and other persistent items have not changed (45 days.)

17 hours ago, ImpulZ said:
  •  
  • Increased the health of the Stone Knife, Steak Knife and Kitchen Knife 

Juat found a kitchen knife and it is already damaged by cutting three pumpkins and one shirt for rags.

Come on guys, this is rubbish 🙂

We really cannot have both extended lifetime of items and items that break after five minutes of use. I'm willing to live even with the longer lifetime that was in effect before the patch, despite my frustration with it. But then I need knife that lasts me month before it needs sharpening, I need shoes that last me years unless they are artificially damaged, I need clothing that is properly insulated, waterproof and so on. I can't be jogging up a hill in wool coat and be losing temperature! Hiking jacket should pretty much be the pinnacle of civilian clothing, windproof  and waterproof. Just like in real life. Now it makes no sense. 

I'm all for item longevity, to me the artificially short durability made sense only while there were gazillions of said item in the world because the CLE replenished them. Let's finally move away from that, let's have durable items that are worth the risk of acquiring them. 

Edited by William Sternritter
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, William Sternritter said:

Juat found a kitchen knife and it is already damaged by cutting three pumpkins and one shirt for rags.

Come on guys, this is rubbish 🙂

We really cannot have both extended lifetime of items and items that break after five minutes of use. I'm willing to live even with the longer lifetime that was in effect before the patch, despite my frustration with it. But then I need knife that lasts me month before it needs sharpening, I need shoes that last me years unless they are artificially damaged, I need clothing that is properly insulated, waterproof and so on. I can't be jogging up a hill in wool coat and be losing temperature! Hiking jacket should pretty much be the pinnacle of civilian clothing, windproof  and waterproof. Just like in real life. Now it makes no sense. 

I'm all for item longevity, to me the artificially short durability made sense only while there were gazillions of said item in the world because the CLE replenished them. Let's finally move away from that, let's have durable items that are worth the risk of acquiring them. 

While I agree somewhat, cutting rags is something that will make a kitchen knife go dull quickly in real life too, and the mechanic needs to be exaggerated in the game or it is trivial. If you could use a knife for a month in-game before needing to sharpen it you might as well get rid of the mechanic altogether since it would be totally irrelevant. Also, different actions do different amounts of damage to tools, cutting rags and digging worms seems to be the worst for knives. But a knife definitely should last a little more than three pumpkins and one rag...

Edited by Derleth
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Derleth said:

While I agree somewhat, cutting rags is something that will make a kitchen knife go dull quickly in real life too, and the mechanic needs to be exaggerated in the game or it is trivial. If you could use a knife for a month in-game before needing to sharpen it you might as well get rid of the mechanic altogether since it would be totally irrelevant. Also, different actions do different amounts of damage to tools, cutting rags and digging worms seems to be the worst for knives. But a knife definitely should last a little more than three pumpkins and one rag...

Again, that is all well if you're finding knives left and right. If not however, durability must go up as well. I agree that a kitchen knife will get blunted sooner by cutting rugs so this loops back to tier of items. And yes, you should get proper tool for the given action to avoid excessive damage. If you can. 

There is nothing wrong if some items last you much longer than your character ever will. Once you do get a quality item, you should no longer focus on obtaining that item over and over again. Comfort of your survival must go up as you get better gear. That is what makes the gear attractive and balances the risk of getting high tear items. Should it get damaged, you will rather repair that item instead of looking for a new lower tier.

Otherwise everyone gets back to hoarding, picking up every single item because everything breaks down after few uses. 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

36 minutes ago, William Sternritter said:

Again, that is all well if you're finding knives left and right. If not however, durability must go up as well. I agree that a kitchen knife will get blunted sooner by cutting rugs so this loops back to tier of items. And yes, you should get proper tool for the given action to avoid excessive damage. If you can. 

There is nothing wrong if some items last you much longer than your character ever will. Once you do get a quality item, you should no longer focus on obtaining that item over and over again. Comfort of your survival must go up as you get better gear. That is what makes the gear attractive and balances the risk of getting high tear items. Should it get damaged, you will rather repair that item instead of looking for a new lower tier.

Otherwise everyone gets back to hoarding, picking up every single item because everything breaks down after few uses. 

To be fair that is how I play, once I have a proper knife (hunting or combat) I will not pick more up unless I find a pristine one in which case I will swap. Sharpening stones however, those are never left behind...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, William Sternritter said:

It would be nice to have some experience in the game. Sharpening the knife, shots, distance traveled, carried weight - experience and training should give a bonus on the service life of items, on the consumption of repair accessories, shooting accuracy (the rifle swing less when there is a lot of experience), the rate of stamina reduction and more breath holding, and ... etc. Injuries sustained can again reduce stamina training. Injuries sustained can again reduce stamina training. There is no experience value in the game, value that cannot be found, value that cannot be buried to take when needed, only time and skill can produce results.
I know that there is some similar progress in stamina, reputation and character defenses in mods, but there is no reverse step, a step of reducing experience after injuries. However, it adds interest in gaining experience, more excitement and discretion to save rather than lose.

Edited by lex__1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, William Sternritter said:

I highly disagree with you. Tools and knives should last short amount of time. I think that was their attempt at making the game hard because they reduced the respawn timers by a lot. It's a survival game and it should be a hard struggle. If every time you live from being a new spawn, what's the point? It makes the experience cheap. The PVE aspect should have a bit of anxiety and fear associated with it. The struggle should be just that, a struggle. I personally think that once you're very fed and hydrated it is too easy, but that's just me.

I got on here originally because I wanted to offer some thoughts on the state of red health and sprinting... I was watching TRMZ yesterday on 1.1 and, if you watched his stream, his game glitched out and nearly died from a zombie. My point is he nearly died by could still sprint. While I think maybe his assertion that that was changed because of broken legs I agree that red health should impact your movement. My suggestion I'm offering is once you're red health it should greatly impact your stamina. This does multiple things for the game.

1. Red health, in my opinion, should affect your movement. Having no health and making it so you have no stamina prevents you from sprinting, this makes sense while gives you the opportunity to look for much needed supplies to heal plus no stamina prevents you from climbing and jumping fences which also makes a lot of sense at red health.

2. This also makes Epinephrine, adrenaline, more importance in that as in real life adrenaline gives you the needed ability for your body to function even in severe situations and gives you again the ability to hop fences, climb and sprint again. In a sense it adds to the game what the change in morphine once was.

Good job on 1.1... it's really great and very excited for the direction of the game.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Edited by dallebull

9 minutes ago, discipled said:

1. Red health, in my opinion, should affect your movement. Having no health and making it so you have no stamina prevents you from sprinting, this makes sense while gives you the opportunity to look for much needed supplies to heal plus no stamina prevents you from climbing and jumping fences which also makes a lot of sense at red health.

2. This also makes Epinephrine, adrenaline, more importance in that as in real life adrenaline gives you the needed ability for your body to function even in severe situations and gives you again the ability to hop fences, climb and sprint again. In a sense it adds to the game what the change in morphine once was.

Good job on 1.1... it's really great and very excited for the direction of the game.

Doesn't red health already make you limp severely? Sure you can "sprint" but that sprint is very slow... But I agree - make sprinting when injured drain stamina faster so you can make a quick rush if you really need to, but no more. Would give the drugs (epi and morph autoinjectors) more vale as well.

19 minutes ago, Derleth said:

Doesn't red health already make you limp severely? Sure you can "sprint" but that sprint is very slow... But I agree - make sprinting when injured drain stamina faster so you can make a quick rush if you really need to, but no more. Would give the drugs (epi and morph autoinjectors) more vale as well.

Whether it's a bug or not... in 1.1 you can still sprint red health like you're perfectly healthy

6 hours ago, Derleth said:

@ImpulZ Several players have described to me that zombies phasing into players in melee has become a lot worse with 1.10. I haven't noticed this myself, but this might be due to my choice of weapons - they say it mostly happens when fighting zombies with knives. Is it possible that the body collision tweaks made to avoid bodies clipping into walls have somehow affected collisions in melee combat? Zombies stepping into players is an old, old issue that was mostly - but not entirely - gone, but now it seems to be back.

I've experienced this extensively, may come down to the weapon, I didn't notice a specific correlation. 

I like the lifetime changes. Going from hours to days was far too drastic, if only because of what players were used to. My suggestion all along is that you have to base these things on session time. What I mean is that if you assume a player session lasts 2 or 4 hours, then the last thing they want to see is the same loot laying on the ground at the beginning and the end of that session. 

Are sessions longer? Could it be tweaked up a bit. Ideally,  someone would analyze all of those official log files and understand the average session length.

51 minutes ago, discipled said:

I highly disagree with you. Tools and knives should last short amount of time. I think that was their attempt at making the game hard because they reduced the respawn timers by a lot. It's a survival game and it should be a hard struggle. If every time you live from being a new spawn, what's the point? It makes the experience cheap. The PVE aspect should have a bit of anxiety and fear associated with it. The struggle should be just that, a struggle. I personally think that once you're very fed and hydrated it is too easy, but that's just me.

What you say makes sense only if you play the game as PVP shootout with constant respawn. Otherwise the survival anxiety comes from entirely different attributes than if your knife gets damaged by thrid or fourth pumpkin. You need to be able to live in the world and not just constantly look for loot. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Seems like the new item life times make it viable to obtain stuff, but it's nowhere near the level of, walk through one town and you're geared. There is always something you're running short on and mistakes have consequences. 

Also, the worst player interaction I had so far was when they run away without a word. Seems to me that lack of loot and more survival elements make people value their characters more. 

One thing I've noticed is the desync issue seems to be worse on 1.1 which includes rubber-banding like I haven't experienced in quite some time.

Yesterday, I aggro'd a couple of infected and while punching them, I noticed I was sliding around a bit and ended up facing the nearby wall and I punched the wall instead of the infected and when I did, I heard a clang noise as if I was holding something even though on my screen, my hands were free.  I suspected a hand-state issue, so I tried to run away from the infected as they were overwhelming me in that state.  I could not get away though as the server was rubber-banding me back into them.

I decided to relog with the two of them hitting me, knowing I might die before fully leaving the server.  Luckily I did not die and when I came back, sure enough, I had my pick axe in my hand.  I managed to kill them both, but I was now essentially near death because of desync.

It would be nice to have some type of mechanic to say "ask the server what's in my hands" or the like rather than having to relog to fix this.  In this case, it was an Experimental server and wasn't full, so I got in right away.  When this happens on a server with a queue, it is beyond frustrating.

• Thanks 2
  • Beans 1

1 hour ago, William Sternritter said:

Seems like the new item life times make it viable to obtain stuff, but it's nowhere near the level of, walk through one town and you're geared. There is always something you're running short on and mistakes have consequences. 

Also, the worst player interaction I had so far was when they run away without a word. Seems to me that lack of loot and more survival elements make people value their characters more. 

You're not supposed to "walk through one town and you're geared." That's not at all how the game was intended or how i personally would like it. You need to struggle of traveling to several locations to get enough basic gear to be self sufficient. Now that you can gut animals with a pick axe, it's the most useful tool in the game. It was, in a sense, before 1.1 too because you could get stones from boulders (now if only you could farm from ALL rocks in the game, including those giant ones on sides of mountains, etc.). 

in dev patch we have new effect

Added a visual effect to increasing shock damage (both reflecting getting hit, and current state)

but this effect is not using, when you have a break leg.
player just fall unconscious in 1 second after he tries to run.

I think, player should have visual info that right now he is doing something wrong: this new visual shock damage effect should be visible when you try to run with break leg.

And right now you falling unconscious too quickly, I think the character should be able to run 5-10 second without a Splint, so player could see new visual shock damage effect

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, drgullen said:

One thing I've noticed is the desync issue seems to be worse on 1.1 which includes rubber-banding like I haven't experienced in quite some time.

Yesterday, I aggro'd a couple of infected and while punching them, I noticed I was sliding around a bit and ended up facing the nearby wall and I punched the wall instead of the infected and when I did, I heard a clang noise as if I was holding something even though on my screen, my hands were free.  I suspected a hand-state issue, so I tried to run away from the infected as they were overwhelming me in that state.  I could not get away though as the server was rubber-banding me back into them.

I decided to relog with the two of them hitting me, knowing I might die before fully leaving the server.  Luckily I did not die and when I came back, sure enough, I had my pick axe in my hand.  I managed to kill them both, but I was now essentially near death because of desync.

It would be nice to have some type of mechanic to say "ask the server what's in my hands" or the like rather than having to relog to fix this.  In this case, it was an Experimental server and wasn't full, so I got in right away.  When this happens on a server with a queue, it is beyond frustrating. 

This is what I write all the time. There is no network optimization, or it is unfinished and lame. This is the reason for most of the problems in the game. I constantly read the answers - "Look for the best server". They are not there, or they are overcrowded and this is rare. Even if I am on a good server, problems occur sooner or later. This is a big problem for the game. There is not always an opportunity to relog to the server. A mistake like this can easily return the player to the shore, and a long run can end sadly. Solving this problem should be priority №1.

• Beans 2

55 minutes ago, discipled said:

You're not supposed to "walk through one town and you're geared." That's not at all how the game was intended or how i personally would like it. You need to struggle of traveling to several locations to get enough basic gear to be self sufficient. Now that you can gut animals with a pick axe, it's the most useful tool in the game. It was, in a sense, before 1.1 too because you could get stones from boulders (now if only you could farm from ALL rocks in the game, including those giant ones on sides of mountains, etc.). 

Yes, that's why I wrote that as a positive thing.

Edited by William Sternritter

36 minutes ago, lex__1 said:

This is what I write all the time. There is no network optimization, or it is unfinished and lame. This is the reason for most of the problems in the game. I constantly read the answers - "Look for the best server". They are not there, or they are overcrowded and this is rare. Even if I am on a good server, problems occur sooner or later. This is a big problem for the game. There is not always an opportunity to relog to the server. A mistake like this can easily return the player to the shore, and a long run can end sadly. Solving this problem should be priority №1.

Yeah I have no problem with dying in the game, but when it happens due to desync it is really annoying. The way an entire server can be destabilised by a single player with shitty connection being on - or indeed just trying to get on and being kicked due to latency - really needs to be addressed. This is also a major underlying cause of cars jumping, flying, sinking or rubber banding. Setting a really low max ping on a server does help, but offers no protection against the desync happening when players are logging on.

• Like 1

A streamer just mentioned this and i think this is an amazing idea... Can we get random "hoards" of zombies of like 10-15 zombies appear like wolves or bears do? This would make the zombie immersion so much more true to, at least, my idea of a zombie apocalypse... I've been wanting hoards forever. If we could get just a rare group of zeds that appear like wolves would just be fantastic!!!

8 hours ago, William Sternritter said:

There was nothing wrong with how knives worked before. They went blunt and had to be sharpened/replaced in a reasonable time frame. I don't see the need to tinker with this.

If anything needs to be addressed, it's the availability of higher tiered weapons and attachments. I have, literally, spent half a year looking for a silencer for an AK weapon and have no found one. THAT'S a broken mechanic if ever there was one.

7 minutes ago, Tonyeh said:

There was nothing wrong with how knives worked before. They went blunt and had to be sharpened/replaced in a reasonable time frame. I don't see the need to tinker with this.

If anything needs to be addressed, it's the availability of higher tiered weapons and attachments. I have, literally, spent half a year looking for a silencer for an AK weapon and have no found one. THAT'S a broken mechanic if ever there was one.

I totally agree with you. I have found an abundance of m4 stocks even in random industrial areas around the map, why on earth this happens is beyond me because since I've been playing day z I have never found an m4. I know players and clans horde all the high end weapons ( which I think is pretty unfair) so it would be nice to see more silencers for aks around the map for us that are stuck playing with ka74s.

5 hours ago, William Sternritter said:

Agreed. KOS or run away is a bolted on standard now, because nobody is going to take a chance on talking to anyone. They've won't be willing to spend months and months getting a new character back into any kind of shape.

Where the balance is, though, is another story.

Clearly, the feedback suggested that the lifetime of objects was way too long in 1.09, so a tweak there was probably necessary.

How do you know how warm it is outside? How many degrees are there? Now with insulation system I'm wondering if you need to be less dressed if it is sunny and hot outside? into reality, on a sunny and hot day we wouldn’t just run around in sweaters and jackets but in T-shirts. Am I the only one who want to know what time and weather temperature is in the game? I wish we had watches and a thermometer in the game for things like that that would give that information.

Edited by kevo1414
  • Thanks 1