Hicks_206 (DayZ)

Exp Update 0.61.136297

7 hours ago, ori42 said:

MrMoon starved to death again near the coast - almost no food. :)

It should be easier for survivors to find something to eat near the coast - if they refuse to go north or are new to the game.

The map is huge so most new players have sometimes no clue where to go and get easy lost or run around in circles near the hills, and many new players stay near the coast which is easier to navigate, not all know about the dayz SA map.

There are chickens everywhere what do tou mean you starve? You said you were a dayz veteran of what mod epoch overpoch? Not vanilla for sure, maybe this game is not for you.

• Like 1

MrMoon is obviously a PvP poser if he doesn't like the current loot distribution.

"Doesn't want to move north.... Only a couple places where people are...."

Tough titty.

Go play an instant gratification shooter and stop infecting the player base with your CoD play in a survival game.

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, kumando said:

There are chickens everywhere what do tou mean you starve? You said you were a dayz veteran of what mod epoch overpoch? Not vanilla for sure, maybe this game is not for you.

Chickens are absolutely useless for sustenance as of right now ... eating 6 chicken breast is the equivalent of 2 apples and doing all the cooking and collecting of wood to prepare the chicken takes out just enough calories to make chicken utterly useless . Sure they're everywhere but they are complete trash compared to just picking an infinite amount of apples (which I hope will change as survival is far too easy with apples).

4 minutes ago, blackberrygoo said:

Chickens are absolutely useless for sustenance as of right now ... eating 6 chicken breast is the equivalent of 2 apples and doing all the cooking and collecting of wood to prepare the chicken takes out just enough calories to make chicken utterly useless . Sure they're everywhere but they are complete trash compared to just picking an infinite amount of apples (which I hope will change as survival is far too easy with apples).

If you cheat with the apple glitch yeah, i dont do that.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, ☣BioHaze☣ said:

MrMoon is obviously a PvP poser if he doesn't like the current loot distribution.

"Doesn't want to move north.... Only a couple places where people are...."

Tough titty.

Go play an instant gratification shooter and stop infecting the player base with your CoD play in a survival game.

He's not really a "PvP poser", he's an RPer who needs interaction to create his content.  But it's tough for him to get that when, at least in his estimation, the locations are devoid of both loot and people.  In relation to the times when he made his best videos, that's true.  It was easier for him to find both loot and people.

Most content creators ("PvP posers" or otherwise) are going to need modding.  People like BarelyInfected and PolishedGuy can make cool, long videos in vanilla DayZ because they know what to expect and how to turn it into something interesting to watch.  That's just not the bread and butter of people like Moon (and in his case, literally bread and butter since this is what he does for a living).

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, plasteek said:

Most content creators ("PvP posers" or otherwise) are going to need modding.  

ding ding ding

Give this guy a prize!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ori42 said:

MrMoon starved to death again near the coast - almost no food. :)

It should be easier for survivors to find something to eat near the coast - if they refuse to go north or are new to the game.

The map is huge so most new players have sometimes no clue where to go and get easy lost or run around in circles near the hills, and many new players stay near the coast which is easier to navigate, not all know about the dayz SA map.

Catering to those kind of lazy people complaints just turns the game into a picking stuff up simulator. I died over and over try to figure this game out at first and those were some of my best DayZ moments going unconscious hopelessly lost in the dark. 

Got to meet emuthreat for a bit and and my piss poor internet disappointed as usual. Sorry, I think I lived after taking a few hits from the same guy that killed him. My internet decided to combat log me before I got to bandage but I don't think he followed me into the woods.  What kind of asshole camps a barracks on a low pop looking for Kos ambushes?

• Like 4

8 hours ago, plasteek said:

Moon was done before he even spawned that last life.  He was running around aimlessly occasionally randomly entering a building and getting frustrated when nothing was there.  He simply does not have the patience to survive in DayZ right now.  He's now running around aimlessly in Miscreated but isn't complaining.  Why?  Because he's not burned out on Miscreated yet.

I am really big fan of Mr. Moon. I saw his stream today and It made me sad. He does not have a patience for DayZ, It is true. But he will come back one day, I believe in it.

Guys, I never had a problem with loot, food, drink, apple trees and wells are everywhere. Maybe for some new players should be problem, but It is survival game, they need to survive. Death is just a lesson. This is my opinion. 

I like your discussion here. Continue :).

• Like 11

4 minutes ago, Baty Alquawen said:

I am really big fan of Mr. Moon. I saw his stream today and It made me sad. He does not have a patience for DayZ, It is true. But he will come back one day, I believe in it.

Guys, I never had a problem with loot, food, drink, apple trees and wells are everywhere. Maybe for some new players should be problem, but It is survival game, they need to survive. Death is just a lesson. This is my opinion. 

I like your discussion here. Continue :).

One thing I've noticed is that people tend to run to just specific houses where they used to find good stuff.
Habits die hard I guess, but with x million spawn points around, searching every little house/shack should be essential if you want to find something.

Arriving at a town and beeline to the police station, is going to end up poorly when loot is spread out properly.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Baty Alquawen said:

but It is survival game, they need to survive. Death is just a lesson.

Fun days in DayZ are over. No more street salesman and weding parties. No more chating in middle of the street. DayZ is finally going where it should heve been from the start. Every mistake will be punished eizther by zeds or wolves.

6 minutes ago, Gobbokirk said:

One thing I've noticed is that people tend to run to just specific houses where they used to find good stuff.
Habits die hard I guess, but with x million spawn points around, searching every little house/shack should be essential if you want to find something.

Arriving at a town and beeline to the police station, is going to end up poorly when loot is spread out properly.

The sad thing is it's still pretty predictable once you find the new patterns. I think with the way the timeline looks to be after the breakdown nothing should be where you expect to find it. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BCBasher said:

The sad thing is it's still pretty predictable once you find the new patterns. I think with the way the timeline looks to be after the breakdown nothing should be where you expect to find it. 

The more random the better in my book.

Make us search and struggle :)
And let every death be a lesson learned.
It's my go to way to improve, no matter what game, blame yourself for every death/failure. (not saying I am any good :p )

• Like 3

I think the current environment has even more potentional to make those dark videos which represents the apocalypse like DayZ, especially in the RPG department.

27 minutes ago, BCBasher said:

23 minutes ago, Gobbokirk said:

The more random the better in my book.

Make us search and struggle :)
And let every death be a lesson learned.
It's my go to way to improve, no matter what game, blame yourself for every death/failure. (not saying I am any good :p )

To be honest, I stopped paying attention which loot spawns where, especially because it (can) change(s) every patch or even build and I like it so far. And of course you know where some stuff spawns because it's only logical. A tire on a bed would be a bit weird right?

Edited by IMT
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, kumando said:

If you cheat with the apple glitch yeah, i dont do that.

I have to say, I give you credit if this is true.

I think of myself as something of a purist but I do spam apple trees, and now that I figured out how to spam rain into cooking pot, I'm doing that when I can as well.

Any apple baring orchard will give you 12 consumable apples immediately at arms length too right?

Filling a pot instantly?

I took my 12 rags and sopped up the rain on the tree leaves and squeezed them in.... maybe I just feel less dirty by telling myself this. :P

If I recall correctly, apple trees/fruit baring plants will be handled differently in the future. Apple trees will be world containers of a sort and have a finite amount of apples per server restart/decay and respawn times.

I will embrace this happily if/when it arrives. :)

• Like 3

Question - with the new audio system, have they fixed or done something with that god awful chirpy birdsong? So loud its the predominant sound the rest of the house can hear.  

I see the apple spamming as shaking an apple tree. That search for apples in just..... well less realistic then spamming the tree.

As for rain in cooking pots: we should be able to make a tarp out of a raincoat. So yeah spamming rain is legit (now)

As for the abundancy of water i would like to see dynamic wells. 

Some have water and some are dry. Makes it far more interesting.

• Like 2

So I played for about an hour, looted a little near my spawn point and then slowly made my way north-ish from where I started.

I didn't really bother to get my exact locale and as I am playing solo I didn't feel it terribly urgent. I'm fairly positive I spawned somewhere on the south eastern coast.

Anyway, in about an hour this was what I found:

hT4nq4C.jpg

Mosin - 20 rounds, chambered P-1 - 1 box 9mm, .357 rounds, 1911, splitting axe.

Hunting jacket, rain coat, wellies, skate helmet.

Improvised backpack.

I did NOT spam for apples but merely picked enough to keep from thirsty/hungry and ate a can of spaghetti, and drank well water and a couple soft drinks.

That's enough to do basically anything in DayZ.

Thanks for playing?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, BCBasher said:

Catering to those kind of lazy people complaints just turns the game into a picking stuff up simulator. I died over and over try to figure this game out at first and those were some of my best DayZ moments going unconscious hopelessly lost in the dark. 

I totally agree. The roughness and unforgivingness made DayZ interesting to me.

I'd love to starve to death again, last time I starved to death was around 0.50 or something when there was no food and wells didn't work lol. I loved that patch.

Edited by VVarhead
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, ☣BioHaze☣ said:

Anyway, in about an hour this was what I found:

Mosin - 20 rounds, chambered P-1 - 1 box 9mm, .357 rounds, 1911, splitting axe.

Hunting jacket, rain coat, wellies, skate helmet.

Improvised backpack.

Nice haul, and you look like one bad dude wearing that helmet.  Never take it off.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, plasteek said:

Most content creators ("PvP posers" or otherwise) are going to need modding.

2 hours ago, Baty Alquawen said:

Do you know what Standalone needs from the Mod more than ANYTHING else, did we forget?, when you log in "..... Day <n>". The objective is to SURVIVE either through hiding out on your own in the woods or meeting strangers in the streets of Cherno (and then shooting them in the face). Without a "Days survived" counter, we have no high score, no reminder that this is a game with one objective above all others.

It should be displayed upon login (with the teletype sfx), displayed next to your character in the main menu and on the inventory screen. I think players need to be reminded that things like kill/death ratio and l33t loot are only optional secondary objectives. If removing it was a conscious decision, I think it was incorrect.

As others have said, twitch and youtube are great for marketing but an edited down PvP video is not an average players experience and could be the root cause of the love/hate DayZ feedback. 

• Like 4

I wanted to mention that I thought I perceived an improvement in infected reactions to sound.

I closed a rather loud door and a nearby infected definitely took interest.

He didn't aggro but I'm fairly certain he increased his pace in my direction and seemed to have covered half the distance to the door in short order.

When I heard his steps I froze crouched, out of sight, and he lost interest pretty quickly.

All of the other smaller sounds I made within the vicinity of infected, like footsteps inside a house, seemed to draw a reaction of sorts but lesser.

If I entered at one end of a house and circled around, I could draw an infected around and exit the other end before he could track me.

I have not fought a single infected yet so I cannot comment on improvements to being pushed or circled around.

4 minutes ago, plasteek said:

Never take it off.

People make the mistake of not taking helmets or passing some up for appearances.

I would rather wear this derpy looking thing than get one shot killed/knocked out any day.

So, until I find a motorcycle helmet or ballistics helmet I'll, "Never take it off".

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Five_Seven_Clown said:

"Days survived" counter

I always liked this, and every additional day that ticked off got more and more tense.

The first time I broke 30 days I thought I was a bad-ass.

I think we are going to have a character stat page, like a url for some fun facts about his life.

Maybe we'll get a pure, "hours alive" stat there in the future.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Five_Seven_Clown said:

Do you know what Standalone needs from the Mod more than ANYTHING else, did we forget?, when you log in "..... Day <n>".

I believe they've been working on a stats backend to display information on the character screen.  I would be shocked if dayz survived isn't one of those stats.

As others have said, twitch and youtube are great for marketing but an edited down PvP video is not an average players experience and could be the root cause of the love/hate DayZ feedback. 

Possibly.  I think Bohemia does have an appreciation for content creators and the way they promote their titles.  And lets be honest, ArmA 3's success is hugely due to modding and content creators.

If vanilla DayZ reaches its potential, it will have a great following in its own right, but modding will still go a long way to help the visibility and longevity of the game.

• Like 2

there was an twitter post from eugene,

acc with the mosts deads, 56k death

you realy think those guys give an ***** on how long they or others survived?

• Like 2