Hicks_206 (DayZ)

Exp Update 0.61.136297

23 hours ago, ☣BioHaze☣ said:

I wanted to mention that I thought I perceived an improvement in infected reactions to sound.

I closed a rather loud door and a nearby infected definitely took interest.

He didn't aggro but I'm fairly certain he increased his pace in my direction and seemed to have covered half the distance to the door in short order.

When I heard his steps I froze crouched, out of sight, and he lost interest pretty quickly.

All of the other smaller sounds I made within the vicinity of infected, like footsteps inside a house, seemed to draw a reaction of sorts but lesser.

If I entered at one end of a house and circled around, I could draw an infected around and exit the other end before he could track me.

I have not fought a single infected yet so I cannot comment on improvements to being pushed or circled around.

People make the mistake of not taking helmets or passing some up for appearances.

I would rather wear this derpy looking thing than get one shot killed/knocked out any day.

So, until I find a motorcycle helmet or ballistics helmet I'll, "Never take it off".

I thought I saw signs of this the past few days and wasn't to into adventuring last night so I spent awhile harassing the infected in a small town.

I started by sneaking up to one until it paused to get an idea of what distance I thought they could hear sneaking footsteps. Then I started setting myself up off to the side of their path as they wandered and backing up or sidestepping in place against a fence or wall to make footstep sounds while staying in one place. I could get them to pause and change course towards me almost 100% of the time and get the same reaction from a little farther if I held "shift" to sprint-crouch which make a little louder footstep sound. When I got to the town there was only 3 or 4 infected but as I hung around there got to be more maybe a dozen and their reactions seemed to slow a bit, server performance? Most of these tests I would stop as soon as I got a reaction but one time I just kept walking in place as one did its head wiggle looking my way and it eventually did agro on me sneaking at a distance that it wouldn't see me if I was still, it's like there filling some awareness statistic until it hits a threshold past "think something is there" to "I know something is there" while they do that head/shoulder wiggle thing. After all this and watching them completely undetected for a long time I'm pretty sure that little pause shudder they do is a sensor scan and if it comes back nothing they pull their next random wander waypoint. 

I was on steam chat with emuthreat when I mentioned wanting to be able to throw things to distract them and he suggest the very obvious thing, try it. So I started chucking apples at them and got another somewhat interesting result if I threw an apple (or helmet, pickaxe, etc) within twenty to thirty feet of them they'd pause an do their little head wiggle. tried this on a single infected and then on groups up to three getting them all to pause and I guess scan their surroundings. 

Edited by BCBasher
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, BCBasher said:

I was on steam chat with emuthreat when I mentioned wanting to be able to throw things to distract them and he suggest the very obvious thing, try it. So I started chucking apples at them and got another somewhat interesting result if I threw an apple (or helmet, pickaxe, etc) within twenty to thirty feet of them they'd pause an do their little head wiggle. tried this on a single infected and then on groups up to three getting them all to pause and I guess scan their surroundings. 

if i remember correct, one of the devs stated those idea long time ago.

the plan was that you can throw things to make an noise and the zeds will be attracted and walk to the point the sound comes from.

would be cool if this could realy be implemented.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, wasnu (DayZ) said:

the plan was that you can throw things to make an noise and the zeds will be attracted and walk to the point the sound comes from.

Indeed!

I think it was waaaay back when we pooped empty cans that this was discussed publicly!

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, wasnu (DayZ) said:

I'd say it's partially implemented already then, there is an awareness of the event but so far as I can tell nothing more than "something happened" there was no direction change or anything no matter where the thrown object landed. 

AI rules and such are and have been a hobby of mine since the mid nineties and BI has produced hands down the best frameworks I've ever played with, really looking forward to see what this game can do finished.

• Like 2

I have a feeling about how "dynamic AI infected spawning" works as I'm seeing some similarities with and editor mod for Arma2/3 I just loved call DAC (Dynamic AI Creator).

A simplified explanation of how it works, you create zones (elliptical or rectangular) on loading of the mission random waypoints are generated within that zone then groups of AI preferably equal to or less than the number waypoints you specified are generated at random waypoints in the zone. Next is the optimization phase where the groups that are outside your mission specified player bubble get collapsed to just the group leader to reduce server load. All The AI active groups or collapsed leaders randomly select a waypoint in their zone and move to it, do a wait action like a sweep of the immediate area or garrison buildings, repeat.  As you move around  groups expand or collapse I was just using it for one and two player scenarios so only two but most of the time only one bubble had to be active at a time playing co-op. I had a few on the bigger maps where I could have 2000+ spawned AI but only 200 or so being active at any time getting 25+ server fps on a dinosaur laptop dedicated server and two clients moving around felling like there were thousand of enemies scattered across the whole map. CO-OP we were ideally together and really only activating the zones for approximately one player bubble. Some examples I made for head to head games where we were each say a lone sniper on opposing teams trying to sway a large stalemated AI fight we would have two separate player bubble activating twice the AI at a time and in my case server performance would tank until I lowered my overall AI count by half and confined these game types to a portion of the map. 

In the case of DayZ's dynamic system the groups expanding type mechanic seems to fire in a delayed fashion maybe time spent in a zone or player number in zone and the obvious shooting a loud gun in a zone. I notice a big difference in AI response between high and low pop servers, they are going to have their hands full getting a system like this to work optimally with 60+ player bubbles active and wish them luck optimizing AI and netcode to support this concept. For my end goals of a 1-4 player persistent world on a home LAN I have high hopes that even if they make half their goals I'll be able to have 5-10 thousand AI toys in my sandbox.   

• Like 4

I just did a bit more mucking around with AI detection and spawning and coincidentally saw a few things I hadn't noticed previously.

I spawned in borderline hypothermic from not paying attention last night and carefully set about to making a fire in a house stove avoiding the one infected I was aware of by a good margin, after I warmed up and heated some pocket apples I headed out and only the same lone infected was around. I for whatever reason ran to a solitary house on the outskirts of town changed shirts and moved back exactly the way I came into town to find the same infected in the same general area. Without getting too close I looted a few houses and no additional infected that I could notice spawned. I set about to sneaking up to him and standing until he noticed crouching and moving to the side until he walked to where he thought saw me moments before. As I repeated this I do a little look around before getting his attention to see where I'm going to move once he thinks he sees/hears me I keep noticing a few more infected in places where there'd been none a few minutes earlier. Pretty sure partial or full awareness of certain statically placed infected triggers the dynamic ones to activate. I get disconnected a lot and have noticed numerous times by the time I get back in on the same server AI will have despawned back to the few that were in the town initially, not all the time though I think that means another players bubble is keeping them active.

I moved on and entering another town I got a slideshow sort of stutter 5-10 seconds just as I was ducking into a shed to go prone and respond to a facebook comment and text from my wife. When I popped back out to continue a town that didn't see a single infected in on approach was now crawling with 15-20 of them and there was another player fist fighting one outside the house just below me. I ran in to help just as he landed his killing blow we had a little sniper shuffle chat and parted ways my game playing as smooth as ever aside from the one stutter. I've had the stutter entering other player bubbles during certain previous versions, now I wonder if it's the player or the AI hes triggering.

I threw a shotgun at one too and go no different reaction than an apple, I want to try a tire and a barrel still.

Edited by BCBasher
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, BCBasher said:

I moved on and entering another town I got a slideshow sort of stutter 5-10 seconds just as I was ducking into a shed to go prone and respond to a facebook comment and text from my wife. When I popped back out to continue a town that didn't see a single infected in on approach was now crawling with 15-20 of them and there was another player fist fighting one outside the house just below me. I ran in to help just as he landed his killing blow we had a little sniper shuffle chat and parted ways my game playing as smooth as ever aside from the one stutter. I've had the stutter entering other player bubbles even during certain version, now I wonder if it's the player or the AI hes triggering

I've had a couple instances of the game very nearly freezing up entirely for 20-30 seconds, in 0.61.  This is way more severe than the bubble mating stutter I'm used to.  I'm beginning to believe that it does have something to do with the AI spawning.

• Like 4

Played a while solo and then a couple hours with GaryWalnuts.

At first I had some fun clearing a small but densely populated section of a town with a chambered Amphibia.

While I was doing so I noticed an infected up in the high branches of a large tree.

I wanted a good screenshot before it came down but I had more infected surrounding me which would have aggro'd had I ran straight out.

Here are a few pics, it's probably hard to see him without zooming but he's straight up and a little to the right of my gun.

In the last pic he is to the left of  the infected in the middle and floating in mid air. This is just before he glided down for a soft landing.

kJwMwgM.jpg

oFvDZgd.jpg

XUY4zvk.jpg

At one point I entered a cabin and there was a full size MP-133 shot gun in the entryway and this in the main room.

hJJUxpx.jpg

Soon Gary popped into TS3 and we met up and decided to check out Krasnostav.

nXiqjcG.jpg

dgSADB5.jpg

After looting a bit (and Gary being shot at with a round of .22 by a well) we moved on to Novo where the wolf pack that he had seen earlier was apparently still tangling with the infected.

We chose this perch to mount an assault and without too much trouble we handled the wolves and infected that came.

tYTucTZ.jpg

2 white wolves which had been fighting an infected seemed to be bugged after the infected aggro'd to us. They continued to circle and leap even when nothing seemed to be there. You can see where they were bugged as I sniped them in front of the shed in the distance. Gary actually took one down with the Amphibia at nearly 100yds as it fled.

We then went across to the hospital to try to find me a holster but just as we were about to entered I mentioned that I thought a strange foots steps in the grass nearby.

Rather than finding an infected bugged against a wall, we found a wolf with it's head encased in frozen carbonite!

RZGe4ZH.jpg

With my newly found kitted CR handgun I put a round between it's eyes but it did not fall. It looked like the shot had freed it a little so I carefully put a couple more rounds into it and it fell.

With no holster to be found at the hospital we left the town behind and set out North to a suitably desolate spot to cook and eat.

chVpUYv.jpg

Man, if you can't enjoy this patch, I feel really sorry for you.

Back after foooooodz!

Edited by ☣BioHaze☣
  • Like 6

i had those stutters too, but i didn't think it's an issue with the build because i have some stutters since the day 1 standalone mostly when i move the mouse too much and i thought thats my pc too.

anyways, i do think there is something linked to infected spawns too; if not, textures loading and objects loading slowly is the cause. (i mean, low poly objects at first then those get high poly after a while and the FPS drop of it)

2 hours ago, ☣BioHaze☣ said:

They continued to circle and leap even when nothing seemed to be there.

It almost looked like they were more interested in eating the infected's body than they were concerned that we were shooting at them.  

That is until one shot landed, then they ran towards us on the platform.  It seems wolves need room to turn around in some cases, like they've decided on a running leap and there isn't room for that on small platforms so they find a place to turn around?  A few wolves walked down the staircase only to turn around and come back up the staircase to attack again.  Another wolf went up a few steps on the upper platform, then turned around up there - and then came back down to do his leap attack - when he simply could have turned left and bit me.  It looked weird that he walked up flight of stairs and didn't run.

I realized afterwards that we were lucky that neither of us were pushed off the platform in all of that chaos.  I did notice that one wolf got pushed off the platform, I think by an infected.  In all of the commotion I forgot to check whether he died from the fall or if just came back up to fight. 

I managed to avoid and flee that same pack a bit earlier before I met up with Bio.   And we outran/avoided another pack near Black Mountain less than an hour later.  The pack that Bio and I found fighting infected we chose to engage, I think we could have backed up and avoided them as well.  I'm really liking the way wolves change the game too, if I don't have the proper weapons to defend myself then - nope - ima run like hell before I'm dog food.  And the choice has to be quick or they'd be on top of me in less than a minute.  I'm very familiar with that stretch of northern territory and more than once in the last few days (after running, weaving and avoiding wolves) I've been spun around and had to pop open the trusty compass and start looking for landmarks.  This wolf AI has been a lot of fun, I do think they still need a little work on their close quarters navigation though.

• Like 5

44 minutes ago, GaryWalnuts said:

I realized afterwards that we were lucky that neither of us were pushed off the platform in all of that chaos.

I thought that afterwards and if you noticed, I was more concerned with squeezing under the steps  away from the edge than fighting when I started to get pushed and hit.

They descended on us pretty quickly (mix of wolves and infected) and I was caught a bit off guard initially but I managed get my wits and put in some good work with the repeater.

For a relatively short session it was a really fun one.

Edited by ☣BioHaze☣
  • Like 1

KlVOyYC.jpg

The hunger is real....

Tonight's session featured emuthreat, starvingart, and pook.

Killing, skinning, eating, cooking.

Searching for heli's, searching for fuel to cook with, looking for love in all the wrong places.

owY09RK.jpg

We all had the weekend jollies, playing on a high pop, possibly scaring away opposition due to the size of our group.

A couple heli's were found and a few tents looted, we didn't even bother being discrete for the most part really.

nlcmRIp.jpg

When we finished with green mountain, I came running out of the guard shack that has medical supplies holding a defib acting goofy like someone should let me shock them for "fun".

I personally had never tried one on anyone that I can remember and had no idea what would happen.

I thought maybe he would just get hurt.

emu knew but didn't exactly say straight out that it was deadly and art decided he wanted to try it.

Shoving a damaged battery in it took 5 or so tries to turn on but eventually did.

This happened next.

o0Mqxir.jpg

6dit5CJ.jpg

art had planned to log off anyhow and took it pretty well, I got to hold his akm and vest until we met again.

After art left emu and pook tried to get me to engage in some "catch and release" which while not technically KoS is really not my style.

Following them into a town not sure exactly what to expect, pook spots a player and begins firing at his legs.

His shots miss but the sound draws many many infected.

We all duck into different storage lockers as the horde descended.

emu wanted to wait out the infected and look for more players, but I wanted to kill the infected.

I told them to flee as I drew aggro and only after the infamous words, "I am become death.", did I begin the methodical slaughter. I killed close to 12-15 but I believe the high pop environment was causing some of the AI to respond in sluggish fashion as they sometimes do in this build. I had planned to log by 1am EST anyway and bid my friends bon voyage as they sprinted into the night, full of piss, vinegar, and woof steaks.

Edited by ☣BioHaze☣
  • Like 9

Oke so i knew barrels were acting strange persistence wise but that they persist so shortly i dindnt know.

Placed one with care. Came back a minute later and it was gone. It reset to were i picked it up BUT with the contents i had just placed in it. 

Weird.....and all but persistent 

35 minutes ago, McWendy said:

Oke so i knew barrels were acting strange persistence wise but that they persist so shortly i dindnt know.

Placed one with care. Came back a minute later and it was gone. It reset to were i picked it up BUT with the contents i had just placed in it. 

Weird.....and all but persistent 

https://feedback.bistudio.com/T121513

yep.barrels are broken.place it somewhere and it spawns back on its original spawnpoint.all what is left is just invisible object.you can even run towards it.
anyone know do tents work?

Hey guys, i just signed in to get something to know.. Is there a specific future plan for the infected?
I find it to be a bit unfortunate, that the infected in the SA are such a small threat compared to the ones in the original mod. Back then there were tons of infected in every village. They were super fast and aggressive.. Just a big threat at least in the first few hours.

Are they going to be so hard in the SA as well or are the plans different here? I really miss that special feel of survival. 

Maybe someone can help me with that question. I wasnt able to find anything abou it.

33 minutes ago, Goga345 said:

Hey guys, i just signed in to get something to know.. Is there a specific future plan for the infected?
I find it to be a bit unfortunate, that the infected in the SA are such a small threat compared to the ones in the original mod. Back then there were tons of infected in every village. They were super fast and aggressive.. Just a big threat at least in the first few hours.

Are they going to be so hard in the SA as well or are the plans different here? I really miss that special feel of survival. 

Maybe someone can help me with that question. I wasnt able to find anything abou it.

They are a threat, but in an indirect way. Try to shoot at a player in a big city without a silencer and without your position being given away. Impossible, right? :)

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Goga345 said:

Maybe someone can help me with that question.

We are technically still in Alpha and in fact the infected AI is being worked on in this build.

Infected will have more variety of attacks and be able to beat down doors and barricades in the future.

Player stamina will make it so we cannot just outrun infected when we want to.

New hit boxes and melee mechanics will also effect how we handle infected.

Injured animations, infections from dirty wounds made by infected, and horde AI will have further impact making how you deal with infected even more important and dangerous.

On top of all of that, many future optimization passes will hopefully free up server resources to allow for more and more infected in Chernarus as time goes on.

Please continue test all aspects of your interactions with them and share any constructive findings and thoughts here and report bugs to the bug tracker.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, ☣BioHaze☣ said:

I told them to flee as I drew aggro and only after the infamous words, "I am become death.", did I begin the methodical slaughter. I killed close to 12-15 but I believe the high pop environment was causing some of the AI to respond in sluggish fashion as they sometimes do in this build. I had planned to log by 1am EST anyway and bid my friends bon voyage as they sprinted into the night, full of piss, vinegar, and woof steaks.

Sounds like I'm not getting that AKM back huh :)

Not sure how to properly embed pics here

BTW I thought the Defib experiment was a bad idea, I knew those things killed living players in the early iterations of standalone, still not sure if they can revive an unconscious one, but I figured we'd give it another try. You know, for science.

Edited by starvingart
wordz
  • Like 7

11 minutes ago, starvingart said:

Sounds like I'm not getting that AKM back huh :)

It's yours if we can meet before the next wipe!

I simply kept the barrel warm and made the world a safer place in the meantime. ;)

I probably used only -25 rounds as I realized early that they each fell with a close range single shot to center mass.

Edited by ☣BioHaze☣
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, ☣BioHaze☣ said:

It's yours if we can meet before the next wipe!

I simply kept the barrel warm and made the world a safer place in the meantime. ;)

Oh my bad, it sounded like your sacrificed yourself, AKM and all, to save emuthreat and pook!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, starvingart said:

Oh my bad, it sounded like your sacrificed yourself

I can see how you would have thought this and I guess in some sense I tried to but with sluggish infected and not quite as many as I hoped for the attempt was fairly anti-climatic.

Obviously you all did continue after dinner :-D Some screenshots from yesterday:

bwGrAff.jpg

Abh15Xc.jpg

FgWfmYt.jpg

qX9G0EL.jpg

Edited by bingo_fuel
forum + images = not working
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, ☣BioHaze☣ said:

We are technically still in Alpha and in fact the infected AI is being worked on in this build.

Infected will have more variety of attacks and be able to beat down doors and barricades in the future.

Player stamina will make it so we cannot just outrun infected when we want to.

New hit boxes and melee mechanics will also effect how we handle infected.

Injured animations, infections from dirty wounds made by infected, and horde AI will have further impact making how you deal with infected even more important and dangerous.

On top of all of that, many future optimization passes will hopefully free up server resources to allow for more and more infected in Chernarus as time goes on.

Please continue test all aspects of your interactions with them and share any constructive findings and thoughts here and report bugs to the bug tracker.

That sounds really good, thanks for the info! :) I havent reported bugs yet, should have a look at it 

• Like 1

Something funny happened yesterday. I was testing my gun and shot the wall on the right building and a second later I heard a glass broke. I looked on my left and saw where my bullet ricochet. Of course, I end up laughing my ass off.

a0gk1Z4.jpg

• Like 5

I had enough testing and wanted some adventure so last night I made my way through Vybor and part of NWAF using my "balls tucked" style sneaking, crawling, pausing and listening for footsteps, listening to my inner dialogue. When I say part of NWAF I entered at the south by the prison hit those barracks made my way under the cover of the bushed and trees to the quonset by the runway and lone barracks by which point I had everything I needed and a little voice said time to leave, so I listened.

I made it back to the beach before logging out, going back home to Skalatisy to mess with my closed population of infected and maybe RP a hermit laying claim to the island and escorting freshies off my rock if I get the chance today.     

• Like 8